Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LaviKabos

How to New Orleans

4 comments in this topic

Members
116 posts
1,464 battles

Grinding up the USN heavies and feel like I've hit a wall. The NO makes me really hate it, I did pretty well in the Pensacola but now the line seems rough to play, the AP doesn't seem as devastating and while the HE is good I'm not racking up damage like I was in the Pensacola. She seems to take a ton of damage from HE salvos as well. Is it just the problem of being uptiered most of the time in T9 matches? Any tips on grinding her out would be appreciated!

Members
3,415 posts
40,617 battles

Hmm, I usually keep her sailing fast on flank and try to catch cruisers wide with AP. I would only use HE for DDs and BBs. But generally, you want to avoid a BB fight. Only catch a BB looking the other way and if he starts to swing the turrets around, then break off. Try for his secbat with either AP or HE. You are not going to set him on 🔥 unless you hit and run or hit and hide. Know when to go Dark.

DDs, while your HE will destroy them well, the reload is slow.  Adrenaline rush helps, but you got to be half health to work it. Best tactic in DDs is find, hit hard, see his torps and pursue with caution. Going after him alone can be dangerous. Get help whenever possible.

Use of cover is advised, but don't be there too long. To constantly attack the red team, you have to be on the move when situation dictates.

You have speed, use it. It's a weapon too. AA against CVs is fairly straightforward. Reinforce only for torp bombers and DFAA for dive bombers. Don't use DFAA on torp bombers while reinforce. Because you want DFAA for a second strike. Think of it as Free AA and expensive AA. Use expensive for overhead.

Turning is your best deterrent from all bombers but turn or throttle down to execute a tighter turn, then speed full so you recover fast. Take note direction of turning as you might go wide to somebody. Sometimes you eat the torps it chance the bomb drop to avoid that one BB looking at you that is waiting for you to go wide.

DDs are best AA buddies, but a BB helps.

There is an old saying, don't outrun the bear, just outrun the mate beside you instead. LOL 😎

• Cool 1

Members
116 posts
1,464 battles
10 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Hmm, I usually keep her sailing fast on flank and try to catch cruisers wide with AP. I would only use HE for DDs and BBs. But generally, you want to avoid a BB fight. Only catch a BB looking the other way and if he starts to swing the turrets around, then break off. Try for his secbat with either AP or HE. You are not going to set him on 🔥 unless you hit and run or hit and hide. Know when to go Dark.

DDs, while your HE will destroy them well, the reload is slow.  Adrenaline rush helps, but you got to be half health to work it. Best tactic in DDs is find, hit hard, see his torps and pursue with caution. Going after him alone can be dangerous. Get help whenever possible.

Use of cover is advised, but don't be there too long. To constantly attack the red team, you have to be on the move when situation dictates.

You have speed, use it. It's a weapon too. AA against CVs is fairly straightforward. Reinforce only for torp bombers and DFAA for dive bombers. Don't use DFAA on torp bombers while reinforce. Because you want DFAA for a second strike. Think of it as Free AA and expensive AA. Use expensive for overhead.

Turning is your best deterrent from all bombers but turn or throttle down to execute a tighter turn, then speed full so you recover fast. Take note direction of turning as you might go wide to somebody. Sometimes you eat the torps it chance the bomb drop to avoid that one BB looking at you that is waiting for you to go wide.

DDs are best AA buddies, but a BB helps.

There is an old saying, don't outrun the bear, just outrun the mate beside you instead. LOL 😎

I'll keep that in mind, usually try to hide behind islands but that tends to lower dmg potential a bit. Running hydro instead of dfaa since i find it more useful but ya I've really been only playing her as a cruiser killer might try to burn bbs from the back more.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

New Orleans is a good support cruiser, not a front line ship.  However, it is much more user-friendly than Pensacola by most accounts due to the more favorable turret arrangement.

Keep her at arms length for the first half of a battle, so as to make yourself a non-appealing target to the enemy.  Then you can either push a flank with your team, or help defend one while kiting the enemy.  Try to never be the target of battleship guns, as you don't have the armor to hold up against large caliber shells.

Also, be aware of the strengths of the New Orleans, namely the improved penetration angles on the AP shells and knowing when to switch ammo types (expert loader is almost a must-have skill for American heavy cruisers), as well as her very good stealth.  Using both to your advantage will take you a long way, especially when you're pounding on lower tiered ships.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this