You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Random Thoughts from Deep R'lyeh: Could the Russian battleships do with a bit more range?

33 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
21,631 posts
15,672 battles

Yes, yes, I know the national flavour is relatively short range with a very friendly dispersion curve when you get even closer, but come on. 17.4km on the Tier 7 Sinop FULLY BUFFED when even the Tier 5 Kongo is dropping shells out to around 20km seems disproportionately short. Even Vladivostok, which I just unlocked yesterday, manages no more fully buffed than an Amagi does when STOCK. Sure, the dispersion would be horrendous, but you could at least shoot back.

So is 1.0 to 1.5km extra on the base range defensible? Or is there something I'm missing here?

• Boring 2

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,864 posts
11,646 battles

I really like the Valdivostok it's got great guns . To tell you the truth I didn't even notice the lack of range I try to stay fairly close to the action and she just punishes ships . I feel like she doesn't play like a Thunderer she doesn't need all that range its a trade off for accurate mid range guns . Pretty tanky too if you angle right .

[Y0L0W]
Members
572 posts
18,542 battles

I think the whole reason the Russian BB’s have more health and armour as well as a fast reloading damage control party is because they’re meant to push in.

Range is one of the few weaknesses.

Members
6,738 posts
21,145 battles

Wait until you see the Sinop's in ranked tomorrow. You will wonder why they aren't at tier 9.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
21,631 posts
15,672 battles
2 minutes ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

Wait until you see the Sinop's in ranked tomorrow. You will wonder why they aren't at tier 9.

I could never make that ship sing for me. Maybe the smaller teams with the Ranked matchmaking composition bring out her virtues and minimize her vices (because there aren't as many enemies around who can potentially find and exploit your glass-jaw broadside). 

Members
3,315 posts
16,572 battles
4 minutes ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

It's not the ship, it's the player. Lyon is a better all around ship and can send Sinop to the bottom of the ocean quite easily. I know, I have both ships. 

Members
843 posts
4,679 battles

I think they could do with an extra 500m to 1km on the range but I've been grinding them and never really felt the lack of range too much.

18km on a Vlad is just enough I felt.

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,231 posts
8,352 battles

I don't think Soviet BBs need any buffs at the moment (unless it was part of a rework that saw them getting nerfs in other areas).  

[GT3]
Members
155 posts
6,839 battles

Buff soviet bb????

Range and accuracy at range are thier ONLY weakness.. Sinop can fight any bb in the game np.

Buff german bb if anything... They have become useless memes.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
1 hour ago, STINKWEED_ said:

It's not the ship, it's the player. Lyon is a better all around ship and can send Sinop to the bottom of the ocean quite easily. I know, I have both ships. 

Lyon is a good ship, but melts easily and is very squishy.  Takes a higher skill level to play better than Sinop.  

Both are good ships, but for very different reasons.

49 minutes ago, yashma said:

I don't think Soviet BBs need any buffs at the moment (unless it was part of a rework that saw them getting nerfs in other areas).  

100% this.  @Ensign_Cthulhu should get ten lashings just for mentioning any kind of buffs to these already very strong Soviet battleships.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,631 posts
15,672 battles
8 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

100% this.  @Ensign_Cthulhu should get ten lashings just for mentioning any kind of buffs to these already very strong Soviet battleships.

This is why I put it forth as a tentative question and was willing to admit from the start that I might be wrong to do so. 

Now if you want me to go on YouTube and scream GIB SINOP 40KM RANGE OR I UNINSTALL, you will need to bribe very hard - and even then, success is not guaranteed. I may yet take your bribes and laugh at you. :cap_haloween:

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
10 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

This is why I put it forth as a tentative question and was willing to admit from the start that I might be wrong to do so. 

Now if you want me to go on YouTube and scream GIB SINOP 40KM RANGE OR I UNINSTALL, you will need to bribe very hard - and even then, success is not guaranteed. I may yet take your bribes and laugh at you. :cap_haloween:

Honestly, it would be (possibly) ok for the Russian BBs to have more range if the so called dispersion nerf at range actually existed in practice.

[-1]
Members
750 posts
10,594 battles

No, you should take it for the team--that's the whole point.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,631 posts
15,672 battles
11 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Honestly, it would be (possibly) ok for the Russian BBs to have more range if the so called dispersion nerf at range actually existed in practice.

I will get back to you when I've had a few more battles in the Vlad. After I unlocked her last night, I'd been going for so long that I took her out once for the joy of using her, then finished for the night. Some of my salvoes went so wonky that the entire world supply of Vodka would not account for the performance of the gunners.

[HELLS]
Members
2,729 posts
28,866 battles

RN BB weakness along with meh dispersion and weak AP until you get to T10, compensated by the (nerfed) HE fire starters. I don't play or grind  RU BBs beyond T5 because none existed in WW II. Paper ships were never my thing.

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[WOLFG]
Members
10,604 posts
9,844 battles

First someone wants AA nerfed on a destroyer, now someone wants RU BB gun range buffed.

I know Warhammer is coming, but this seems like and inordinate amount of heresy.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
4,653 posts
20,562 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Oh GoD, you are uninstalling AGAIN !!  For the love of the Schwartz, just pull the plugs and.......and........whatever.  hahahaha  :cap_haloween: 

On the topic, I see the Russian ships as just fine where they be...    I ground the Sinop and didn't see too many issues and in everything else, she's was a capable ship.....  Slow, no, no, no..........ponderous turret speed and reloads but.........  Oh-kay overall.  Comparing the IJN to the Russian in surface warfare capabilities "just won't work..."   They are apples and oranges from start to finish and technologically, even more different.  In fact, the IJN is under represented in this game IMO.  A preeminent naval power the British were even afraid of......  

If they aren't broke, don't fix them..........or, even suggesting changes may cause our host to..........well, do something............and, that never bodes well of late........

[ARGSY]
Members
21,631 posts
15,672 battles
29 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

First someone wants AA nerfed on a destroyer, now someone wants RU BB gun range buffed.

I know Warhammer is coming, but this seems like an inordinate amount of heresy.

I just want to make it feel welcome when it arrives. :fish_haloween:

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,231 posts
8,352 battles
2 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Honestly....for what it's worth, as strong as Soviets BBs are, I don't actually find them (the Kreml in particular) enjoyable to play because of their inconsistent at best gunnery.  I'd be in favor of a lot of Soviet BBs getting various degrees of survivability nerfs in exchange for some gunnery buffs.  It would make them more fun to both play as and fight against.

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,572 battles
2 minutes ago, yashma said:

Honestly....for what it's worth, as strong as Soviets BBs are, I don't actually find them (the Kreml in particular) enjoyable to play because of their inconsistent at best gunnery.  I'd be in favor of a lot of Soviet BBs getting various degrees of survivability nerfs in exchange for some gunnery buffs.  It would make them more fun to both play as and fight against.

Kremlin legendary mod resulting in legendary Moskva dispersion confirmed.

[DANKY]
Members
734 posts
2,066 battles

What is that ship almost no one plays again?  Hmm, it's coming back to me.  I think it was called Jabarovsk or something like that.  

I know that giving Russian ships MORE love is a little bit of a meme (ok, fine, a lot of a meme).  But still.  If we're going to keep that ship in the game then maybe think about giving the Khaba another km of range and a bit of its old rudder shift back.  You can hardly argue that it's OP when we have French DDs with great guns AND torps sailing around at warp six, and Harugumos laughing at Khaba's DPM.  

Edited by Eugenie_101

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
10,227 battles

Everything Russian must be the worst, because Germany was the greatest, and got cheated.

Something something something, EU for-EVAH.

• Confused 1

[DRAH]
Members
385 posts
9,705 battles

The problem with RU range for me is worst at Tier 8 where you get uptiered and outranged by max range firespam builds so you feel like that little kid with the big bullies hand on your forehead while you swing wildly with no change of connecting.