You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Stepping Up: Quick Notes on New Ships. Sinop ---> Vladivostok

8 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
25,666 posts
19,741 battles

THE OLD:

Sinop, Tier VII Soviet battleship. Fully buffed, she has 65,000 hit points and does 27kt. She is detected at 14.6km without Concealment Expert and her guns reach out to 17.4km with a reload time of 33 seconds and a 180 degree turn of 60 seconds. Expert Marksman on my captain gets that down to 45, but I did not fit the Main Battery mod to bring it down further as I wanted to minimise the dispersion as much as I could.

This ship was, in my hands, not the OP monster I have heard tell about. Yes, she can land some very nice devastating strikes and take massive gouges out of unwary opponents who offer you broadside, but the range is crippling - at full buff, you are out-ranged by many other battleships that you can meet when they are stock. Accuracy also leaves much to be desired at range, even with the peculiarities of the RU BB line (tight dispersion at short-midrange, proportionally worse further out). I found the Stalinium Balans shells to be inconsistent on occasion, with very poor bounce angles and numerous non-damaging full pens (i.e. not torpedo belt hits). I can see why she finds a home in Operation Narai; the opposition there is mostly food for her until you get into the final harbour, and even then - with the exception of the Missouri - it isn't exactly overwhelmingly tough.

Overall I found her quite tolerable, and I was sort of sorry that it was time to move the captain up. Ordinarily I'd not have rushed the grind, but we have a time-limited campaign running at the moment which demands Tier 8 plus, and I have a battleship mission that requires accumulating potential damage - just the thing for my new baby to do while she grinds out her B modules. When I have some spare ECXP I'll put a 10 point captain in her and see about unleashing some of that OP Balans, but for now let us leave the Sinop floating captain-less in port and move on to...

THE NEW:

Tier 8 Soviet Battleship, Vladivostok. This ship cost me 135,000 ship XP to grind out once Sinop's B hull was unlocked, 9.35 million credits for the basic hull, and 200,000 credits to cut the captain's retraining cost in half (I used ECXP for the rest). A full upgrade module set would normally cost 3.875 million credits, but we fortuitously had a half price sale recently and a bunch of clan battles rental ships in port, so I was able to buy the modules at half price and put them on a rental ship hull to be auto-dismounted to inventory for free when the rentals were withdrawn.

Permacamo was free; it was the event permacamo that was obtainable for tokens in the Soviet Battleships release event almost exactly a year ago. Tier 8 permacamo would otherwise cost 3,000 doubloons. If you are grinding THROUGH this ship for the Soyuz and the Kremlin, and not intending to use her much, you might be able to get by with one-shot camos and economic flags. For me, Vladivostok represents the end of the line; I have no interest in grinding this line further for the foreseeable future, and it was nice to be able, finally, to pull out the permacamo I'd been saving for so long.

Vladivostok comes with 67,500 XP out of the box and does 29 knots. This is all you get; there is no engine upgrade. In compensation for this, she doesn't have the feeling I've had in a couple of other recent acquisitions (Amagi, Lion) of trying to get a narcoleptic sloth on valium to try to move; she is relatively nimble for a stock ship, and will probably improve once I grab the B hull.

The guns are the same nine 16-inch (406mm) in three triple turrets, A, B and X arrangement, but this time they reach out to 16.3km and can be upgraded to 18km - again, there are other T8 battleships which do better than this in the stock configuration. However, in contrast to the Sinop's lazy 60 seconds to turn her turrets 180 degrees (without any enhancements), Vladivostok can do it in 45 seconds and my Ovechkin captain's boosted Expert Marksman skill gets this down to 36 seconds. I could probably trim it down even further with the Slot 3 main battery module (especially now that this doesn't induce a rate-of-fire penalty as it once did), but on the one shakedown cruise I took her for in co-op, the handling felt pretty good.

What did NOT feel pretty good was the accuracy. At medium to long range (relative to her own reach), it was awful and it really only improved when I got in almost ridiculously close. Bots are very good at angling, so there were a lot of ricochets and those stupid zero-damage pens again, and having to fight a bot Tirpitz at spitting distance really wasn't the best test for this ship. The secondaries WILL go off like blazes, but unlike German BB or Massachusetts/Georgia secondaries, they should not be relied on. I might do a secondary meme build on the PTS to try it out, but would not advise building for them unless you have ECXP or doubloons to burn and can afford to fool around for a bit.

VERDICT: Vladivostok should be a better ship, and indeed she does have minor improvements over the Sinop in the context of the opposition I was facing for most of this afternoon. However, the matchmaking now includes Tier 10 and the opposition now gets a whole lot bigger and meaner. I need to have some more battles in her in both co-op AND Randoms to get a better feel for her, but by the time I was done slugging through over 90,000 XP of Sinop to get to her, I was too tired to do any more than take her out for a quick spin and a first impression. Overall it's a good one, but I think I'm really going to need that extra bit of agility and I will certainly need more reach on the main guns. The B fire control system fit is very definitely my number 1 priority BEFORE taking the hull upgrade.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,890 posts
24,769 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

THE OLD:

Sinop, Tier VII Soviet battleship. Fully buffed, she has 65,000 hit points and does 27kt. She is detected at 14.6km without Concealment Expert and her guns reach out to 17.4km with a reload time of 33 seconds and a 180 degree turn of 60 seconds. Expert Marksman on my captain gets that down to 45, but I did not fit the Main Battery mod to bring it down further as I wanted to minimise the dispersion as much as I could.

This ship was, in my hands, not the OP monster I have heard tell about. Yes, she can land some very nice devastating strikes and take massive gouges out of unwary opponents who offer you broadside, but the range is crippling - at full buff, you are out-ranged by many other battleships that you can meet when they are stock. Accuracy also leaves much to be desired at range, even with the peculiarities of the RU BB line (tight dispersion at short-midrange, proportionally worse further out). I found the Stalinium Balans shells to be inconsistent on occasion, with very poor bounce angles and numerous non-damaging full pens (i.e. not torpedo belt hits). I can see why she finds a home in Operation Narai; the opposition there is mostly food for her until you get into the final harbour, and even then - with the exception of the Missouri - it isn't exactly overwhelmingly tough.

Overall I found her quite tolerable, and I was sort of sorry that it was time to move the captain up. Ordinarily I'd not have rushed the grind, but we have a time-limited campaign running at the moment which demands Tier 8 plus, and I have a battleship mission that requires accumulating potential damage - just the thing for my new baby to do while she grinds out her B modules. When I have some spare ECXP I'll put a 10 point captain in her and see about unleashing some of that OP Balans, but for now let us leave the Sinop floating captain-less in port and move on to...

THE NEW:

Tier 8 Soviet Battleship, Vladivostok. This ship cost me 135,000 ship XP to grind out once Sinop's B hull was unlocked, 9.35 million credits for the basic hull, and 200,000 credits to cut the captain's retraining cost in half (I used ECXP for the rest). A full upgrade module set would normally cost 3.875 million credits, but we fortuitously had a half price sale recently and a bunch of clan battles rental ships in port, so I was able to buy the modules at half price and put them on a rental ship hull to be auto-dismounted to inventory for free when the rentals were withdrawn.

Permacamo was free; it was the event permacamo that was obtainable for tokens in the Soviet Battleships release event almost exactly a year ago. Tier 8 permacamo would otherwise cost 3,000 doubloons. If you are grinding THROUGH this ship for the Soyuz and the Kremlin, and not intending to use her much, you might be able to get by with one-shot camos and economic flags. For me, Vladivostok represents the end of the line; I have no interest in grinding this line further for the foreseeable future, and it was nice to be able, finally, to pull out the permacamo I'd been saving for so long.

Vladivostok comes with 67,500 XP out of the box and does 29 knots. This is all you get; there is no engine upgrade. In compensation for this, she doesn't have the feeling I've had in a couple of other recent acquisitions (Amagi, Lion) of trying to get a narcoleptic sloth on valium to try to move; she is relatively nimble for a stock ship, and will probably improve once I grab the B hull.

The guns are the same nine 16-inch (406mm) in three triple turrets, A, B and X arrangement, but this time they reach out to 16.3km and can be upgraded to 18km - again, there are other T8 battleships which do better than this in the stock configuration. However, in contrast to the Sinop's lazy 60 seconds to turn her turrets 180 degrees (without any enhancements), Vladivostok can do it in 45 seconds and my Ovechkin captain's boosted Expert Marksman skill gets this down to 36 seconds. I could probably trim it down even further with the Slot 3 main battery module (especially now that this doesn't induce a rate-of-fire penalty as it once did), but on the one shakedown cruise I took her for in co-op, the handling felt pretty good.

What did NOT feel pretty good was the accuracy. At medium to long range (relative to her own reach), it was awful and it really only improved when I got in almost ridiculously close. Bots are very good at angling, so there were a lot of ricochets and those stupid zero-damage pens again, and having to fight a bot Tirpitz at spitting distance really wasn't the best test for this ship. The secondaries WILL go off like blazes, but unlike German BB or Massachusetts/Georgia secondaries, they should not be relied on. I might do a secondary meme build on the PTS to try it out, but would not advise building for them unless you have ECXP or doubloons to burn and can afford to fool around for a bit.

VERDICT: Vladivostok should be a better ship, and indeed she does have minor improvements over the Sinop in the context of the opposition I was facing for most of this afternoon. However, the matchmaking now includes Tier 10 and the opposition now gets a whole lot bigger and meaner. I need to have some more battles in her in both co-op AND Randoms to get a better feel for her, but by the time I was done slugging through over 90,000 XP of Sinop to get to her, I was too tired to do any more than take her out for a quick spin and a first impression. Overall it's a good one, but I think I'm really going to need that extra bit of agility and I will certainly need more reach on the main guns. The B fire control system fit is very definitely my number 1 priority BEFORE taking the hull upgrade.

Bow on, protect your sides and laugh as you slay....

One of my favorite battleships. 

Members
864 posts
4,679 battles

I did a lot better in the Vlad than I did in the Sinop. The Izmail I had a 60% WR  vs 49% in the Vlad and 44% in the Sinop.

It took me a while to get a handle on the Vlad, but the more I played the more I got used to it.

Just got the Sov Soy. Played one game and lost.

Still well behind my North Carolina & New Mexico, where I had 63% WRs.

Edited by macktkau2

Members
148 posts
3,053 battles
1 hour ago, macktkau2 said:

I did a lot better in the Vlad than I did in the Sinop. The Izmail I had a 60% WR  vs 49% in the Vlad and 44% in the Sinop.

It took me a while to get a handle on the Vlad, but the more I played the more I got used to it.

Just got the Sov Soy. Played one game and lost.

Still well behind my North Carolina & New Mexico, where I had 63% WRs.

It’s difficult to base your ships performance by winrate unless comparing same tiers. Win rates usually decline going up in tier due to difficulty and matchmaking spread. I’m not saying there are not super Unicum in all tiers, just saying winrate comparison per ship isn’t evidence of anything but your own performance, not the ship.

[HEL-2]
Members
211 posts
7,690 battles

Sinop has enough of an icebreaker when bow on that she's only going to take major damage if the enemy aims higher and goes for overmatching the upper 25mm bow or deck, but yes, her max range is pitiful for a T7 BB, when compared to her peers.  There are several T6 BBs that can outrange her and burn her down without fear of retaliation.  

I found that for me, Vlad plays very much like the Roma (if you have it and played it much), except that Vlad's guns can overmatch all cruisers.  Their top speeds differ by a knot, their range is almost identical and both have extended belts and thicker decks, but can still have their machinery spaces easily blown out.  Roma is stealthier and can mount spotter to extend range and both have incredible dispersion at long range.  Moving from Sinop to Vlad was rather easy for me in that regard, as I already had a comparable baseline. 

I enjoyed both Sinop and Vlad, but got off to a rocky start with Soyuz.  I felt like I struggled to deal the same damage with Soyuz that I was able to do with the other ships, and she suffers the same shorter range among her peers.  And Kremlin is, of course, the ultimate Balans.

[ARGSY]
Members
25,666 posts
19,741 battles
3 minutes ago, Batmantis_ said:

Vlad plays very much like the Roma (if you have it

I don't. I was tempted both by my Italian ancestry and the economic benefits of the beer can, but everything I heard about the guns indicates that they are trolly (against the user) and inconsistent, and I don't need to deal with that sort of thing. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,215 posts
26,997 battles

Vladivostok is a solid BB in Tier VIII.  She's not bad, it's just the competition among Tier VIII Battleships ramps up severely, and 406mm can no longer ROFLPEN same tier Battleship competition like it did in mid tiers.

Sinop is obviously a weaker ship than Vladivostok, but in the scope of Tier VII, Sinop dominates.

Meanwhile, Vladivostok has to contend with a whole slew of very good Tier VIII Battleships.  Not only that, Vlad has to face Tier X ships.

Members
66 posts

Sinop is very strong and influential.     I just steam up near the cap and blast away.  I try to find an island that can protect a flank or that I can bail behind if it gets too hot up front.  I've never even noticed range as its armor and forward firing guns allow this ship to move up and take fire.  Use forward and reverse to throw off aim.  Try to stay bow on and don't use rear guns if you have to present too much of your side to do so.  Use reverse to back away from DD threats as you stay bow on.  

I think the win rate is so high on this ship because your entire team is likely more forward with you up front.  You notice at times one teams BBs will be near the caps and the others way back.  Some BBs can not survive being forward but I've stayed alive far longer than I thought possible with the Sinop.