You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
GrayPanther2018

Cruiser and BB ASW possible option.

9 comments in this topic

[PHD]
Members
1,685 posts
7,034 battles

While commenting on BBs issues elsewhere, I had an idea that is historical and possible in the game, I suppose.

The Kingfisher, and other shipborne floatplanes could carry depthcharges or small bombs so why not add the option to BBs and cruisers for  fighters and spotters to carry them and attack surfaced and at periscope depth submarines. They could act as the fighters do against attacking aircraft. They orbit the ship at a certain radius (that may need to be enlarged) and any spotted sub in that radius gets bombed.

Just a thought.:fish_boom:

[CAP]
Members
368 posts
15,979 battles
6 minutes ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

While commenting on BBs issues elsewhere, I had an idea that is historical and possible in the game, I suppose.

The Kingfisher, and other shipborne floatplanes could carry depthcharges or small bombs so why not add the option to BBs and cruisers for  fighters and spotters to carry them and attack surfaced and at periscope depth submarines. They could act as the fighters do against attacking aircraft. They orbit the ship at a certain radius (that may need to be enlarged) and any spotted sub in that radius gets bombed.

Just a thought.:fish_boom:

They should just give BBs and heavy CAs depth charges that only do significate damage up to 20 meters of depth.  So they can't nuke a deep sub but they can keep one from coming up for free/easy torp shots when they have it spotted.  This keeps BBs and CAs from being helpless at the end of a game with a sub under them.

[TWFT3]
Members
143 posts
4,504 battles

Aircraft would be the more realistic options, but I'm not sure how a non-CV could control offensive aircraft without compromising gameplay.

[PHD]
Members
1,685 posts
7,034 battles
8 minutes ago, AriochIV said:

Aircraft would be the more realistic options, but I'm not sure how a non-CV could control offensive aircraft without compromising gameplay.

My thoughts were that, like the fighters, you have no direct control, other than launching them. After being activated they would orbit the ship at a fixed range and any sub spotted in that area would be attacked.

[CS7]
Members
255 posts
4,224 battles
7 hours ago, AriochIV said:

Another realistic options is if a Cruiser or Battleship (really any surface ship) rams a sub at periscope depth, they are instantly sunk or forced to the surface (permanently) with no damage to the surface ship.  If a sub's periscope gets snapped off while they are submerged, there is no way to stop the flooding except to immediately surface.  This is not the case with the new photonics masts, which is one of their many advantages.

Edited by Maddau
  • Cool 1

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,066 posts
15,059 battles

Stop the madness... put subs in their own game mode.

[CS7]
Members
255 posts
4,224 battles
6 hours ago, Morpheous said:

Stop the madness... put subs in their own game mode.

Ummm....that is what they are doing.  :cap_hmm:

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,066 posts
15,059 battles
20 hours ago, Maddau said:

Ummm....that is what they are doing.  :cap_hmm:

really?  I think its randoms buddy

[CS7]
Members
255 posts
4,224 battles
1 hour ago, Morpheous said:

really?  I think its randoms buddy

Nope.....or at least not yet.  Sub battles are a separate mode starting in a week or so.  Tier 6 only for now.  Hope that makes you feel better!

• Cool 1