You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
lonesome45

Disappearing Ships

14 comments in this topic

Members
28 posts
11,636 battles

I sure get frustrated when enemy ships disappear. I’m sure everyone does. I have read and watched all the information on visibility in the game. Much of it I don’t really understand, so I have come up with a few simple rules that will tell you when an enemy ship near the visibility limits will disappear. Smoke is not involved.

1. Just as she comes from behind an island.
  2. Just as you come from behind an island.
  3. Just as your guns reload.
  4. Just as your guns come on target.
  5. Just after you launch your spotter.
  6. Just before she gets broadside to you in a turn.

And if the algorithm is running a bit slowly, the enemy ship will disappear just as you fire so you have no idea why you missed.

As corollaries,  my rules for when an enemy ship will (re)appear are:

1. Just as she goes behind an island.
  2. Just as you go behind an island.
  3. Just after you fired a low probability salvo.
  4. Just after you move your glacial turrets to another target. If you try to move back, see #4 above.

These are the basics. I’m sure I will find others.

Edited by lonesome45
grammar
  • Cool 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
26 minutes ago, lonesome45 said:

I’m sure everyone does.

No, everyone doesn't.

It's just that some know how the game's spotting mechanics work, and use to their advantage.

You can start learning here.

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,581 battles

1 minute ago, Kuckoo said:

No, everyone doesn't.

It's just that some know how the game's spotting mechanics work, and use to their advantage.

You can start learning here.

Nah, even knowing how concealment mechanics work can still be frustrating. I can't count the number of times I have a shot and immediately before I shoot the ship disappears (for reasons I get, but it's still frustrating). Or flicks in/out of detect briefly with the "out" corresponding to when I fire.

WG "fixed" the lockon bug which means you have problems shooting in these situations.

It might be the OP is referring to this problem.

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
1 minute ago, enderland07 said:

Nah, even knowing how concealment mechanics work can still be frustrating. I can't count the number of times I have a shot and immediately before I shoot the ship disappears (for reasons I get, but it's still frustrating). Or flicks in/out of detect briefly with the "out" corresponding to when I fire.

WG "fixed" the lockon bug which means you have problems shooting in these situations.

It might be the OP is referring to this problem.

Agree that particular issue can be an irritant, but it doesn't happen that often.  Like many other things about this game you just deal with it.  And there is always someone else to shoot at.

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,581 battles
1 minute ago, Kuckoo said:

Agree that particular issue can be an irritant, but it doesn't happen that often.  Like many other things about this game you just deal with it.  And there is always someone else to shoot at.

I will add though that center of ship being in line of sight = detected is not very intuitive when it comes to islands.

Members
3,429 posts
6,898 battles

Another is issue to be considered is the lag of your connection. If a ship comes outside of an island and is suppose to be facing you but is invisible..then all of a sudden half the ship appears then LAG is your enemy. The graphics are not updated fast enough to draw the ship for you to view. Same goes for when you shoot but does no damage or hits the enemy ship but not the place you intended...LAG again is the problem even though you are almost in point blank range!   Very frustrating but there it is....

Members
3,429 posts
6,898 battles

The only thing I see wrong on the tutorial website is that the circle designs are wrong.    If you look at your left mini map in game your solid circle is view and the dotted is the detection. 

Did WOWs change this and didn't change the tutorial part ??

mini-map-lines.jpg

[NEMO]
Members
829 posts
2,791 battles

Sometimes I have that problem, not always only when the enemy ship is at the far edge of my view range 

Members
3,429 posts
6,898 battles
1 minute ago, wolfkind252 said:

Sometimes I have that problem, not always only when the enemy ship is at the far edge of my view range 

When a enemy ship is detected if it rides that detection line it can flicker as the program is a ON-OFF state there. If there was like some modification of the enemy ship being blurred out when on the line with some near-parameters then it would be more realistic...but that would involve more programming and probably slow the game machine down to render the blur.   Also there is also the issue of lag as everyone does not see the same thing at exactly the same time. The game machine has to update your PC and they all don't get that data at the same time.  Unless the internet speed for all become faster its something you have to live with and counter against if possible. 

[WKY12]
Members
799 posts
12,903 battles
21 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

The only thing I see wrong on the tutorial website is that the circle designs are wrong.    If you look at your left mini map in game your solid circle is view and the dotted is the detection. 

mini-map-lines.jpg

Your view range is the light shaded area on the minimap which corresponds to the dotted line on the right side image. That is how far you can see in the game. It has nothing to do with detection.

[BGSSC]
[BGSSC]
Members
2,620 posts
10,491 battles
35 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

mini-map-lines.jpg

The minimap view shows the concealment (broken line), the firing range (and concealment after firing), and the viewing distance (distance your ship can see if someone else is spotting).  The tutorial drawing shows the concealment range (solid line), and the viewing distance (broken line).

[LWA]
Members
1,186 posts
2 hours ago, lonesome45 said:

I sure get frustrated when enemy ships disappear. I’m sure everyone does. I have read and watched all the information on visibility in the game. Much of it I don’t really understand, so I have come up with a few simple rules that will tell you when an enemy ship near the visibility limits will disappear. Smoke is not involved.

1. Just as she comes from behind an island.
  2. Just as you come from behind an island.
  3. Just as your guns reload.
  4. Just as your guns come on target.
  5. Just after you launch your spotter.
  6. Just before she gets broadside to you in a turn.

And if the algorithm is running a bit slowly, the enemy ship will disappear just as you fire so you have no idea why you missed.

As corollaries,  my rules for when an enemy ship will (re)appear are:

1. Just as she goes behind an island.
  2. Just as you go behind an island.
  3. Just after you fired a low probability salvo.
  4. Just after you move your glacial turrets to another target. If you try to move back, see #4 above.

These are the basics. I’m sure I will find others.

You left out "just as you started the spotter plane consumable"......the ship disappears.