You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
RootedX

Kidd Useless now..

11 comments in this topic

[UCG]
Members
18 posts

So I originally got the KIDD when it was initially released.  It was a great AA ship(and thats about it).

Since the CV Re Work I tend not to play the KIDD anymore since the AA defectiveness is about good as a Tier 5 Battleship.  One torp tube with long reloads makes it so its not really a torpedo boat,  it's a fletcher hull so it's got the pew pew guns but realistically they don't pen or start fires that well when up tiered or even on T8 games from what I can tell.

some of the ships I got were purely for specific things (aa boats), now they just sit in my port taking up a slot and never get played.  WG really needs to either rework CV's again (properly) or start adjusting ships so they aren't so damn useless.  Yes I know Kidd has a heal and smoke but it gets blapped outta the water so quick doesn't really matter much....

waste of $70 CAD or whatever the hell I paid originally.  I wouldn't even pay $1 for this ship now in its current form.

• Confused 2
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
Members
13,282 posts

You might try looking at how the top dd players use her to maximize effectiveness. @Destroyer_KuroshioKai has some nice vids on youtube. If you die before using up heals perhaps you overextend too much. 

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,994 posts
20,747 battles

Do you use BFT?

that will increase your AA continuous damage. 

Members
477 posts
8,135 battles

Kidd is pretty lack luster now and more of a support ship.  You can knife fight and help win games but don’t expect to be able to defend yourself against T10 planes or have any massive damage games. 

It’s been power krept just like Sims.

I own one...don’t play it anymore and I’m over 60% WR in her.  No longer fun.

• Cool 1

Members
11 posts
18,528 battles

First game of the day finds me in the Kidd after initially selecting the Cossak due to 7 carriers in the que. I end up dropping in a game with no carriers 90% of the time if the ship has decent anti air defenses. I also find myself up tiered, something Destroyers handle quite well if played intelligently. There was also a metric ton of radar, and I was playing the only destroyer on the team. The Kidd is not as strong in regards to anti air as she once was, and late game makes less difference due to the lack of torpedo power, but playing the objectives yielded all 3 caps solo and a third place in the game. Like most American destroyers she is showing signs of power creep, but can still make a difference, and be enjoyable to play.

Screenshot (74).png

Screenshot (75).png

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
5,392 posts
16,221 battles
2 hours ago, Vanth_Dreadstar said:

Like most American destroyers she is showing signs of power creep, but can still make a difference, and be enjoyable to play.

So like many ships, in good hands they can be made to work, but there are probably better options out there that don't require the same level of expert game play.

[UCG]
Members
18 posts
12 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Do you use BFT?

that will increase your AA continuous damage. 

Yes, I'm full AA build.  Yesterday I played a few matches T8-10  T8 Cv's were wrecking me   I use to be able to take out an entire squadron now with defensive aa i'm lucky to get 1-2 ships before I'm blapped outta the water.

When i'm grouped up with say a bb/cruiser It still feels lackluster with the amount of AA going off and seeing no real results, or at least not the results like it use to be :).

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,422 posts
13,458 battles
15 hours ago, RootedX said:

So I originally got the KIDD when it was initially released.  It was a great AA ship(and thats about it).

Since the CV Re Work I tend not to play the KIDD anymore since the AA defectiveness is about good as a Tier 5 Battleship.  One torp tube with long reloads makes it so its not really a torpedo boat,  it's a fletcher hull so it's got the pew pew guns but realistically they don't pen or start fires that well when up tiered or even on T8 games from what I can tell.

some of the ships I got were purely for specific things (aa boats), now they just sit in my port taking up a slot and never get played.  WG really needs to either rework CV's again (properly) or start adjusting ships so they aren't so damn useless.  Yes I know Kidd has a heal and smoke but it gets blapped outta the water so quick doesn't really matter much....

waste of $70 CAD or whatever the hell I paid originally.  I wouldn't even pay $1 for this ship now in its current form.

I would encourage you to join my Discord and upload a replay in my replay analysis channel there.  I will send you back a private video going over things that can help you out.

https://discord.gg/3Mm85HN

To sum up how I play Kidd, I dont really play it like an AA boat.  Instead more like Haida, focusing on out trading and killing DDs to gain cap control.  My Kidd build is a bit different than most of my US DD builds as its full gun boat.  The captain looks closer to a French DD captain in how I fit it out.

https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PASD508&modules=11111&upgrades=135220&commander=PCW001&skills=2152906818&ar=100&flags=3541&consumables=1111

Most random games I believe games are decided before SI becomes a factor.  So I took AR and IFA instead.

• Cool 1

[META_]
Members
1,252 posts
16,138 battles
On 5/17/2020 at 8:54 PM, RootedX said:

She has always had 1 torp set, she isn't useless, she has always been more of a supportive ship than a damage dealer... If you want I can make an updated video on her.... She's a workhorse not a farmer. Dd play has definitely changed with the resurgence of aircraft carriers... My winrates in dds haven't done anything but keep moving up at all tiers in dds.... She's an awesome ship just not as glamorous as some other damage farmers...... Most have and excel with their gimmick... Hers is aa and durability.. French is reload booster and speed(her torps are overlooked alot) the orkan is showing high winrates right now but she actually will fall as more are sold..... I have Kidd, Orkan, asashio,Le Terrible ..... Kidd is the strongest of the bunch as in winrates. Not just  my winrates but wows stats page winrates, I mean the unicum players not just everyone who bought them.... My best winrates of the bunch in order is 1 Le terrible, 2 Kidd, 3 Asashio, 4 Orkan... but Orkan will pass Asashio in my stats.. Just not enough games in her yet. Happy hunting Captain 😎 

Screenshot_20200526-125544.png

[UN1]
Members
1,218 posts
3,674 battles

I have a 63% win rate and almost 2400PR in mine. I love playing it. Not a stat flaunt. It just seems to click well with me. 

I play it as a cap contestant. Good concealment and excellent firepower. It'll go toe to toe with any DD in its way. Long duration smoke to farm up some damage against bigger targets in-between. Go to next cap and repeat. 

And if a CV wants you dead, you can make him pay for his heresy.