GrandAdmiral_2016

Sunday, May 17, 1943

5 comments in this topic

[HELLS]
Members
2,663 posts
27,195 battles

I picked up a book by Sir Max Hastings, a first-rate historian, called Chastise. It was sitting on my bookshelf until now, unread. The book is a history lesson about 617 Squadron's dambusting mission. Today is the 77th anniversary of that mission. Why did I pick it up today of all days? Karma? Coincidence perhaps, but when I was a boy in the mid-50s my Dad, an RCAF veteran, was invited with my Mom to the Canadian premiere of the movie ''The Dambusters'' because one of the RCAF officers at a local base was a friend of his who had actually flown on the mission and he invited all the local WWII RAF, RAAF and RCAF veterans to attend the special screening, where the film director and several of the actors were present to discuss the movie.

I was impressed by this because I knew the gentleman and went to school with his daughters, one of whom was in my class for a year. They did not know how big a deal it was until the movie came out and their father's name came up in the local papers because he never spoke of it to his children.

So this evening the memory of those who served, are serving, and those made the ultimate sacrifice while serving in 617 are in my thoughts and prayers, as are the memory of the innocent victims of the mission itself. ''War is Hell, and you cannot refine it''

• Cool 8

[WPORT]
Members
5,498 posts
10,518 battles

:cap_like:

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,647 posts
9 hours ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

I picked up a book by Sir Max Hastings, a first-rate historian, called Chastise

I was impressed by this because I knew the gentleman and went to school with his daughters, one of whom was in my class for a year.

Had to wait a day to give you a thumb's up cause I ran out. It's really neat when you run into someone who has actually participated in events that you've read about in the history books. The grandpa of a school chum of mine used to take us out fishing for bullheads when we were little kids, I didn't find out until years after he died that he had fought in WWI.