You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

When your team is almost completely incapable of killing anything...

40 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
20,204 posts
14,359 battles

...this is what happens.

For a fair proportion of the battle, we held all three caps. And my team-mates just kept dying and dying and dying, doing NOTHING in return. The Udaloi and I each sank one ship. That was it.

image.thumb.jpeg.0283c3776465cf1650a9ce12f9e3e7f3.jpeg

What a disgrace.

• Funny 1

Members
6,152 posts
9,801 battles

image.png.c52dfb8c62cbc3c91b3d29b861dff12a.png

Several first battles and I had the stomped side. Was very annoyed for a bit.

Members
6,621 posts
20,679 battles

Currently 5 or 6 threads on the front page on or related to this topic---MM/skill based/poor players......frustration.

I wish I knew how to fix it so everyone wins.

• Funny 1

Members
3,761 posts
23,371 battles

Much of the player base has tilted towards under performing  to flat out why are you in randoms at all. No concept of how to play the game, just put me in ships and let me sail around.

• Boring 1

[CLUMP]
Members
839 posts
1,174 battles

Wows starting to look like wot :fish_palm: Are the wot wallet warriors migrating to wows :Smile_hiding:

[SALVO]
Members
4,495 posts
3,829 battles

I just had a couple of matches where I was incapable of killing anything... My shells just went poof, I think was desync, high ping, lag or something. I kept showering the ships with not so bad aimed volleys to just have 0 hits or maybe an overpen. I'm just not playing rush hours anymore for some time.

• Cool 2

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,671 posts
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

What a disgrace.

No, you just got assigned to a flotilla of pacifists. They were sending good thoughts toward the enemy but it didn't work out like they planned. 

• Funny 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,441 posts
14,165 battles
44 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

Wows starting to look like wot :fish_palm: Are the wot wallet warriors migrating to wows :Smile_hiding:

It is more the effect of a mature game which makes the extremes in match making be more obvious. About the only thing that would help with this is skill balancing once the players for the match are selected.

• Cool 3

[WORX]
Members
10,759 posts
18,591 battles

When the red Op BBs out produced your Op BBs production... Its an instant loss.

On the other hand, 5 red ships with only 1 kill... Those could've gone either way to make it close...

But, then again... lack of BB production really killed any chances for a win..

Members
5,269 posts
9,970 battles

In a recent game I had and posted about - everyone on your team scored more base XP than everyone on my team expect for the last guy on your team.  In the game I was on not one person scored more than 350 base XP.

Of course when I switched to my lovely JB - take a cap and keep it and still lose.

World of Warships - Jean Bart - 158941.PNG

Edited by CylonRed
  • Boring 1

[LSNB]
[LSNB]
Members
291 posts
7,113 battles
48 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

About the only thing that would help with this is skill balancing once the players for the match are selected.

I really like this idea.
The concept of global stat based matchmaking isn't viable in this game, but once you've gotten enough people for a game why not divide them up by stats then. 
No reason in a 6 BB game that one team should have 3 unicums and the other team have 3 reds. It doesn't have to be a perfect system but I bet it would reduce blowouts by a lot

• Cool 3

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,441 posts
14,165 battles
3 minutes ago, Thanos_Snap_ said:

I really like this idea.
The concept of global stat based matchmaking isn't viable in this game, but once you've gotten enough people for a game why not divide them up by stats then. 
No reason in a 6 BB game that one team should have 3 unicums and the other team have 3 reds. It doesn't have to be a perfect system but I bet it would reduce blowouts by a lot

Reduce but not eliminate them as they even happen in the King of the Hill finals.

[GWG]
Members
6,968 posts
13,503 battles
1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

I just had a couple of matches where I was incapable of killing anything... My shells just went poof, I think was desync, high ping, lag or something. I kept showering the ships with not so bad aimed volleys to just have 0 hits or maybe an overpen. I'm just not playing rush hours anymore for some time.

That happens on 'bad' days. 

It's a sign to either hang it up or do operations or Co-Op.  I over-penned a broadside Montana, with a Montana. 
After I was deleted (rather easily), I free-camera'd over to see seven holes at it's waterline where I over-penned.

Did a training room right after and duplicated -- all citadels.

That's a bad day.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
4,495 posts
3,829 battles
17 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

That happens on 'bad' days. 

It's a sign to either hang it up or do operations or Co-Op.  I over-penned a broadside Montana, with a Montana. 
After I was deleted (rather easily), I free-camera'd over to see seven holes at it's waterline where I over-penned.

Did a training room right after and duplicated -- all citadels.

That's a bad day.

Yup, they do happen. 

[FFLY]
Members
135 posts
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

It is more the effect of a mature game which makes the extremes in match making be more obvious. About the only thing that would help with this is skill balancing once the players for the match are selected.

I've said exactly the same thing in the past. Of course I was trashed for having such an ill-conceived, preposterous idea that would create a situation whereas every single player would end up with a 50% winrate. 

[ARGSY]
Members
20,204 posts
14,359 battles
8 minutes ago, Highvelocity4U said:

I've said exactly the same thing in the past. Of course I was trashed for having such an ill-conceived, preposterous idea that would create a situation whereas every single player would end up with a 50% winrate. 

The problem with skill based MM is that the matchmaker has to match not only by ship type and tier but also skill. How long do you want your waits to be?

[NEMO]
Members
714 posts
2,144 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

...this is what happens.

For a fair proportion of the battle, we held all three caps. And my team-mates just kept dying and dying and dying, doing NOTHING in return. The Udaloi and I each sank one ship. That was it.

image.thumb.jpeg.0283c3776465cf1650a9ce12f9e3e7f3.jpeg

What a disgrace.

wait you just described half the teams I get on but I don't see my name

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,441 posts
14,165 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The problem with skill based MM is that the matchmaker has to match not only by ship type and tier but also skill. How long do you want your waits to be?

Which is why normal skill based MM doesn't work here but skill balancing will. You have six BB's for a match and you alternate them to the teams based on the skill factor until you are done with them and down the line by ship type. The only ship type that presents any problems with this is CV's because as you go up in the tiers more than two per match is somewhat rare but maybe for them grabbing them out of the queue by skill would work with any bypassed guaranteed the next match.

[FGNE]
Members
960 posts
4,568 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

43 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Which is why normal skill based MM doesn't work here but skill balancing will. You have six BB's for a match and you alternate them to the teams based on the skill factor until you are done with them and down the line by ship type. The only ship type that presents any problems with this is CV's because as you go up in the tiers more than two per match is somewhat rare but maybe for them grabbing them out of the queue by skill would work with any bypassed guaranteed the next match.

We should avoid the term "skill based MM", but rather "skill enhanced MM".

After the players/ships have been selected from the queue and distributed by the various criteria then comes in "skill" as a final "best effort" criteria; this could help but we must accept that it won't be perfect.

Also CVs might not be the only issue here, for example we have all had those matches with for example a single DD on each team, if one is a potato and the other Unicum the is simply no way to balance that.

Also, skill should not override other (previously set criteria), ... I am not sure... are "radar ships" a criteria when creating teams?.

PS: and of course, how do we define "skill" into terms that MM could understand?, by WR?... We should also accept that "skill" will not be a perfectly accurate metric.

Edited by CO_Valle
PS added

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,441 posts
14,165 battles
3 minutes ago, CO_Valle said:

We should avoid the term "skill based MM", but rather "skill enhanced MM".

After the players/ships have been selected from the queue and distributed by the various criteria then comes in "skill" as a final "best effort" criteria; this could help but we must accept that it won't be perfect.

Also CVs might not be the only issue here, for example we have all had those matches with for example a single DD on each team, if one is a potato and the other Unicum the is simply no way to balance that.

Also, skill should not override other (previously set criteria), ... I am not sure... are "radar ships" a criteria when creating teams?.

PS: and of course, how do we define "skill" into terms that MM could understand?, by WR?... We should also accept that "skill" will not be a perfectly accurate metric.

I like skill balancing better but you are correct.

The matches would still be better balanced even with those single ship outliers.

[AXANR]
Members
209 posts
3,411 battles

It is actually abnormal that this happens so often.

While Win/Lose rations tend to average to 50%, the matches should not be that one sided.

The majority of the BAttles should be even sided in terms of skill, and this situation should be a rarity.

Why is this happening? Maybe there is not enough player randomization?

[HKC]
Members
604 posts
6 hours ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

Much of the player base has tilted towards under performing  to flat out why are you in randoms at all. No concept of how to play the game, just put me in ships and let me sail around.

That is the point of the game. Sail around and shoot things.  And inevitable for this game/business model.  The game isn't about working together effectively, or learning skills.  Alas.

Generally they haven't got worse, you have got good, and now know the difference.

[GWG]
Members
6,968 posts
13,503 battles

Today during a clan battle...   Something I've never seen before.

End of the match -- we are losing.

I spot a FULL BROADSIDE Stalingrad about 7 seconds travel time.  Switch Puerto Rico guns to AP, line up and fire....    Looooookkkkiiinnnngggggg   GOOD !!   

Then all 12 rounds disappear....  By the time it took me to scream, "What the Hell !!!!"   They reappeared and landed 3 seconds past when they should have.  Nicked the stern.

This PVP game is Condensed Horse Hockey.  Clan mates said, "that's just desync..  happens all the time."   

Wait !!!   You saw it too ????   Then it's not desync.  This is outright messing with people.

[TF-64]
Members
540 posts
19,094 battles

Been on both sides of this a lot lately it feels. What perterbs me more than the steamrolls is how many times I can be top of the losing team and in the middle to lower half when on the winning team. Then again, maybe those are just the standouts and I forget all the regular matches.