You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

New CV Ordnance Needed!

54 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,697 posts

Long-range radar-guided glide bombs were used against shipping in the last months of WWII. I think that these should be an option for tier X CVs. By using glide bombs a CV player's planes could drop ordinance while staying well outside the AA range of their target.

BAT-PB4Y-wingbat.jpg

The SWOD (Special Weapons Ordnance Device) saw combat service beginning in April 1945 off Borneo. Several Japanese ships were sunk from a range of up to 20 nmi (37 km). The Privateer was the primary launch platform for the Bat, but other aircraft were also modified to launch the weapon, including the Vought F4U Corsair, Curtiss SB2C Helldiver, and Grumman TBF Avenger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASM-N-2_Bat#Deployment

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 6
  • Boring 5

[WOLFH]
Members
1,013 posts
4,977 battles

One step at a time Snarg, lets give them depth charges first.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1

[KWF]
Members
6,690 posts
7,321 battles

And what would the surface targets be able to counter this with? Be able to fire AA at the bomb? Use ECM to scramble the control signal?

Otherwise if this thing made it to the game without it's counterbalance it's just a new flavor of griefing.

[LANCE]
Members
936 posts
7,017 battles

I’ll take it with a pinch of sarcasm buried in there somewhere and add to it! ... Perhaps the planes that launch it could also get a “ping” mechanism like the subs have with their homing torpedos so it could also lock onto the intended target in case they vary their course? :cap_haloween:

Edited by Bravo4zero
  • Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,697 posts
10 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

And what would the surface targets be able to counter this with?

No counter. That's the whole point of using technology more advanced than than that of your enemy. I didn't say that glide bombs would be balanced, just that I want them. I need to get my Midway's win rate up to at least 50%.

• Funny 1

[SIM]
Members
5,906 posts
9,414 battles

Reads topic. Waits for troll face emoji. Finds none.

:fish_nerv:

• Funny 3

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,697 posts
16 minutes ago, Skyspartan said:

i want depth charges

Silliness aside, once subs get into the main game depth bombs should be a loadout for planes. Not only were they extensively used in actual combat, in the game they would give a break to surface ships for that sortie because they could only be used against subs. This would be a win-win-win scenario for both the ship being targeted by the sub that asked for CV support, the CV, which could proffer said support, as well as for the surface ships on the enemy team, who would not be attacked by the CV while it was concentrating on trying to deal with the sub.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

Members
1,660 posts
27 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Long-range radar-guided glide bombs were used against shipping in the last months of WWII. I think that these should be an option for tier X CVs. By using glide bombs a CV player's planes could drop ordinance while staying well outside the AA range of their target.

BAT-PB4Y-wingbat.jpg

The SWOD (Special Weapons Ordnance Device) saw combat service beginning in April 1945 off Borneo. Several Japanese ships were sunk from a range of up to 20 nmi (37 km). The Privateer was the primary launch platform for the Bat, but other aircraft were also modified to launch the weapon, including the Vought F4U Corsair, Curtiss SB2C Helldiver, and Grumman TBF Avenger.

Why would you want to keep planes out of AA?

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,697 posts
6 minutes ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

Why would you want to keep planes out of AA?

Why wouldn't you want to keep planes out of the range of anti-aircraft fire? I don't want anybody shooting at my planes if I can help it. 

Members
1,660 posts
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

Why wouldn't you want to keep planes out of the range of anti-aircraft fire? I don't want anybody shooting at my planes if I can help it. 

Then you should leave them in port I would think.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,697 posts
23 minutes ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

Then you should leave them in port I would think.

But how would my men win any of those nice shiny medals?

True story.

I was on a training exercise once when someone shot a flare up and hit one of our helicopters. The pilot said 
"What the <bleep>?!" over the radio. One of those pesky 2nd lieutenants that nobody likes then got on the radio and told him to use proper radio procedure, to which the pilot replied "What the <bleep>, over." He then said, "Army aircraft <designation>, going down." The exercise umpire said "OK, I will mark you as 'downed'," to which the pilot replied "Mark? <Bleep> that, a flare took out my windscreen and is now burning in my cockpit!" 

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Funny 1

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,315 posts
6,819 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

BAT-PB4Y-wingbat.jpg

Oink! Not sure it will be very popular but why not? New German TX CV squadrons could use the Fritz X guided bomb... The Germans managed to sink the Roma with that stuff. Goltz

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,697 posts
11 minutes ago, Toss_a_plus_1_to_your_CV said:

Another troll thread. You're on a roll this week.

If it was then it was successful. I caught you, didn't I?

However, at least part of this thread actually is serious. I think depth bombs should be a CV plane loadout option and have explained my reasons why.

Edited by Snargfargle

[HINON]
Members
9,229 posts
13,912 battles

is this what being disappointed in your child feels like?

Edited by tcbaker777

[CLUMP]
Members
2,065 posts
2,429 battles
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

BAT-PB4Y-wingbat.jpg

I can already see the DD bros getting triggered reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 

Edited by LastRemnant
  • Funny 1

[TDRB]
Members
5,394 posts
13,743 battles
2 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

And what would the surface targets be able to counter this with? Be able to fire AA at the bomb? Use ECM to scramble the control signal?

Otherwise if this thing made it to the game without it's counterbalance it's just a new flavor of griefing.

Our friend Snargfargle is either trolling or his true colors are now showing as one who only wishes to give CV's OP weapons. It could be both.

Of course Snargfargle omits telling us facts such as it was after the war when this weapons were adapted for carrier based planes.

BTW the PB4Y Privateer is the Navy version of the B-24. From 1947 on these gliding bombs were found on P-2V Neptune, a twin engine plane that never took off from a carrier.

Edited by kgh52

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,901 battles

No counter. That's the whole point of using technology more advanced than than that of your enemy. I didn't say that glide bombs would be balanced, just that I want them. I need to get my Midway's win rate up to at least 50%.

Until the play you decide to play a DD against one of these easy-mode CVs.

[WOLF1]
Members
1,153 posts
2,229 battles

Let’s have hedgehogs too. They are essentially mortar launched depth charges for DDs.

• Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
5,394 posts
13,743 battles
1 minute ago, Boomer625 said:

Let’s have hedgehogs too. They are essentially mortar launched depth charges for DDs.

There is no record of a sub surviving a hit from a hedgehog.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,697 posts
6 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Of course Snargfargle omits telling us facts such as it was after the war when this weapons were adapted for carrier based planes.

Didn't read the article I linked, did you? Glide were used in WWII to sink ships and were also adapted to carrier-based planes. If the war had lasted another year they almost certainly would have been used from carrier-based planes. However, why do you even think that this game cuts off at the end of WWII? WG has never stated that this is World of WWII Warships. Much of the ordinance that you lambaste as never being used in WWII was used extensively in the Korean War. Also, why do you think that 1945 is the cutoff for WOWS? The Des Moines was commissioned in 1948 and the Halland was commissioned in 1955.

[D-DAY]
Members
7,153 posts

BAT-PB4Y-wingbat.jpg

A way of guiding your attacks without any real penalty and no risk of being sent back to port?

Aren't you asking for what you already have? :Smile_trollface:

• Boring 1