You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Col_Nasty

Commander training questions.

23 comments in this topic

[GOB]
Members
2,059 posts

I see so may references to a ship that is a " Great trainer "  I do understand that you need to put them in the same nation etc and they should be premiums.  I understand all of that.

The way I have been doing it is ever since I got my first 19 pointer a few months ago ( I now have 8 ) is mostly playing those ships and using the ECXP to build the next 19 pointer that I want to play. My goal was to have one for each  type of ship for each nation  ( BB,CA,DD ) 

NOW there is so much wrong with that as I have figured out ( I can be slow at times )  

1) I haven't been paying attention  to the proper commanders!  

I have special commanders with enhanced skills that I left in reserve and didn't work on them!

2)  I also think ( know )  I have mismanaged other special commanders that are in the wrong ships!

So I am wondering.  

Is it better to put the Captain you want to build to 19 pnts in the ship he is for and build him there or continue the way I am doing it?

Should I eat the doubloons it will cost me ( and time ) to reassign my special commanders to the ships they would be best for and build from there?

I can look them up and see what ships they are best for or list a few here to get opinions.

Your thoughts?

As always input is much appreciated.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,158 posts
19,011 battles

Some premium ships are a 'great trainer' when the characteristics of the ship mesh well with the captain skills needed for the line that ship is a trainer for. IE, Atago is a very good trainer for IJN heavy cruisers because it doesn't require a different captain skill set and play style. Conversely, Georgia is a bad captain trainer for the USN line because it requires a different deep skill build to fully shine and make use of the ship's characteristics than a typical USN BB captain would have.

As for your questions ...

The enhanced skills are there for a reason, and the special captains with enhanced skills work best on ships that would benefit from those skills. For example, a captain with a Expert Marksman faster turret traverse would be wasted on a destroyer. Whether or not it's worth respecing them, is up to you. Only you can look inside your own wallet and make the choice whether spending some money on respecing them is worth it for you. But for a gameplay perspective, it would be.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,647 posts
7 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

I see so may references to a ship that is a " Great trainer "  I do understand that you need to put them in the same nation etc and they should be premiums. 

Premium ships are good trainers because they have XP bonuses, which level up the commanders faster, and you can transfer commanders to and from them without retraining penalty. Start a commander in the ship you want to eventually put it in and then move it to a Premium ship for training.

[KREW]
Members
146 posts
16,595 battles

There are two ways I use premium ships as captain trainers.
The first, same class ship as a tech tree ship for a given commander to get more daily bonuses to xp to help the commander level up.
The second is a bit similar, when moving a commander from one ship to the next in the tech tree, I pay credits to reduce the retraining by half.
Then use the commander on any premium ship(s) I can, often whether optimal for it or not, in order to work off the remainder of the penalty.

I try to avoid paying for changing skills, but I prefer to use doubloons when doing so rather than xp. That's just me though.

• Cool 1

[PHD]
Members
1,514 posts
6,471 battles
15 minutes ago, Lert said:

The enhanced skills are there for a reason, and the special captains with enhanced skills work best on ships that would benefit from those skills. For example, a captain with a Expert Marksman faster turret traverse would be wasted on a destroyer. Whether or not it's worth respecing them, is up to you. Only you can look inside your own wallet and make the choice whether spending some money on respecing them is worth it for you. But for a gameplay perspective, it would be.

I am a comparative noob so this is more questioning comment rather than criticism, but with my IJN and French DDs Expert Marksman seems to help with turret traverse while turning.  (Nothing other than "get another ship" seems to help with Minkaze.)

I have the French Honore captains and their enhanced skills seem more advantageous in larger ships.

I play almost no randoms but it seems the game play in CoOp that different enough different captain skills work better. For instance my Dunkerque captain is more secondary build for PvE but I would be more protection skills for PvP.

Members
1,660 posts
1 hour ago, Lert said:

For example, a captain with a Expert Marksman faster turret traverse would be wasted on the majority of destroyers, but not all.

Fify

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,048 posts
12,728 battles
43 minutes ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

I am a comparative noob so this is more questioning comment rather than criticism, but with my IJN and French DDs Expert Marksman seems to help with turret traverse while turning.  (Nothing other than "get another ship" seems to help with Minkaze.)

I have the French Honore captains and their enhanced skills seem more advantageous in larger ships.

I play almost no randoms but it seems the game play in CoOp that different enough different captain skills work better. For instance my Dunkerque captain is more secondary build for PvE but I would be more protection skills for PvP.

Well, IJN DD's have slow turrets (at least for DD"s) so expert marksman will help them so they're a weird case. Putting expert marksman on a US Navy DD is a complete waste of time, as the turrets turn so fast to begin with. Nothing will help the Minekaze's guns, good thing she all about spamming torps like mad.

I'm not sure about having a different captains build for CO-Op v/s Randoms, it's just better to build to the strength of your ship, I run a secondary build on all my battleships, just for the cases when I end up in that brawl and for it's benefits to AA.

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles

One of the best ways to quickly train a captain up to 19 points is to have a good tech tree ship the captain is on, then have at least 1 premium ship if not several to cycle the captain through each day to collect the daily XP bonuses.

A good example for one of my British captains that wanted to serve on my BBs I used Queen Elizabeth, Warspite, Nelson, Duke of York, and Hood. Then I would play each day getting a win in each ship with the captain on it. And ended up getting the 10 point captain Jack Dunkirk up to 19 points in about a month. Then after that I would do the same for a while to collect Elite Captain XP which can be use to accelerate captain training or accelerate captain retraining. It also allows you to get new ships with new captains and get the captain leveled up to 10 or 12 points so that it can get off to a good and functional start with ease.

And the more well placed 19 point captains you get, the more Elite Captain XP you can generate, and the more 19 point captains you will get. Like I now have I think 12 of the 19 point captains and about 4 or 5 of them have reached 19 points just in the last 4-6 months. And for the most part my captains can be shared with premiums so the 12 captains now are serving on 26 of my 108 ships in port. Which can mean generating the Elite Captain XP with ease. Although some 19 point captains like the ones of Gearing and Graf Spee are suited just to their ships, but are fun to play so they still contribute a lot of EXCP for me.

• Cool 1

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles
13 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

One of the best ways to quickly train a captain up to 19 points is to have a good tech tree ship the captain is on, then have at least 1 premium ship if not several to cycle the captain through each day to collect the daily XP bonuses.

A good example for one of my British captains that wanted to serve on my BBs I used Queen Elizabeth, Warspite, Nelson, Duke of York, and Hood. Then I would play each day getting a win in each ship with the captain on it. And ended up getting the 10 point captain Jack Dunkirk up to 19 points in about a month. Then after that I would do the same for a while to collect Elite Captain XP which can be use to accelerate captain training or accelerate captain retraining. It also allows you to get new ships with new captains and get the captain leveled up to 10 or 12 points so that it can get off to a good and functional start with ease.

And the more well placed 19 point captains you get, the more Elite Captain XP you can generate, and the more 19 point captains you will get. Like I now have I think 12 of the 19 point captains and about 4 or 5 of them have reached 19 points just in the last 4-6 months. And for the most part my captains can be shared with premiums so the 12 captains now are serving on 26 of my 108 ships in port. Which can mean generating the Elite Captain XP with ease. Although some 19 point captains like the ones of Gearing and Graf Spee are suited just to their ships, but are fun to play so they still contribute a lot of EXCP for me.

This is good advice too, especially when there are 200% weekends.

1 hour ago, Col_Nasty said:

Should I eat the doubloons it will cost me ( and time ) to reassign my special commanders to the ships they would be best for and build from there?

One thing you can do is assign them to the ship, start retraining (pay credits to make this 1/2), and then finish the retraining on a premium ship - retraining captains do not lose any bonus on premium ships.

I do not know what premium boats you have but this can be a good way to save doubloons while banking credits, too.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,158 posts
19,011 battles
1 hour ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to ask here.

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
57 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

One thing you can do is assign them to the ship, start retraining (pay credits to make this 1/2), and then finish the retraining on a premium ship - retraining captains do not lose any bonus on premium ships.

I do not know what premium boats you have but this can be a good way to save doubloons while banking credits, too.

Yes especially on +100 or +200% weekends where you also want to have captain XP boosting signal flags and camo on those days to maximize your captain XP earned.

[GOB]
Members
2,059 posts
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I was trying to do a variation of this but didn't do it correctly and messed up on one ship.  Thanks for making it clearer!

2 hours ago, Lert said:

Some premium ships are a 'great trainer' when the characteristics of the ship mesh well with the captain skills needed for the line that ship is a trainer for. IE, Atago is a very good trainer for IJN heavy cruisers because it doesn't require a different captain skill set and play style. Conversely, Georgia is a bad captain trainer for the USN line because it requires a different deep skill build to fully shine and make use of the ship's characteristics than a typical USN BB captain would have.

As for your questions ...

I was trying to find a way to get a full list of my captains to see which ships they would be best in but gave up for now.  I see exactly what you mean now and see I have definitely got to move a couple of them and start USING the ones I have in reserve.  I got most of these before I had the slightest clue about how this game works so that's why I bungled this so badly. Wallet wise I am one of the lucky ones.  I can do things here that I feel are worth it. I'm posting the list of my premiums below.  I have a bunch I never play much because of the focus on 6 or 7 of them.   It was a good Christmas  for me but I did notice that 90% of the ships I did get were all MEH ships according to yours and LWM reviews : )

1 hour ago, enderland07 said:

Here they are...  Premiums and Specials. Deciding which to focus on first.  I play everything but CVs.

The Friesland , SMOL,  Alaska , Tirpitz ( so also shiny horse ) MASS, SINOP ,  ( JB is the one I am working on now and is at 18 ) 

My T-9 and T-10  Tree  ships  that have 19 pointers already   Gearing and Fletcher.

premiums1.png

Premiums2.png

Edited by Col_Nasty

[PVE]
Members
6,172 posts
22,432 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

Think just the 1st paragraph about his French & IJN DDs using EM commander skills as you suggested it was wasted on DDs.

He seems to be asking for an expert's (yes...that would be you) clarification as to whether his EM skill is wasted on them.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,158 posts
19,011 battles
1 minute ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Think just the 1st paragraph about his French & IJN DDs using EM commander skills as you suggested it was wasted on DDs.

He seems to be asking for an expert's (yes...that would be you) clarification as to whether his EM skill is wasted on them.

I'm no expert. Just a loudmouth. An opinionated one. Fortunately my opinion seems to often find some traction on the forum, and seems to be moderately successful in game, but I'm no expert.

That said - the amount of benefit you get from EM - including a boosted one like for example Halsey gives - on something with already a fast turret traverse is questionable at best. EM is meant for those ships that turn their hull faster than their turrets, meaning that you out-turn your turrets in a rudder hardover maneuver.

[PVE]
Members
6,172 posts
22,432 battles
3 minutes ago, Lert said:

I'm no expert. Just a loudmouth. An opinionated one. Fortunately my opinion seems to often find some traction on the forum, and seems to be moderately successful in game, but I'm no expert.

That said - the amount of benefit you get from EM - including a boosted one like for example Halsey gives - on something with already a fast turret traverse is questionable at best. EM is meant for those ships that turn their hull faster than their turrets, meaning that you out-turn your turrets in a rudder hardover maneuver.

Sorry...must have assumed you changed your name from Pert to Lert...which would have made you an ex-Pert (maybe I had you confused w/1 of your litter mates).

I understand that...although some DDs do out turn their turrets but those are generally torp boats that ideally you never wanna fire your guns in the 1st place (let alone be detected in) so EM is definitely wasted on them.

But I've never been a pert so I'm definitely no expert so he wasn't asking for my opinion.

But I'll save you having to tag him personally to get the message to the right target:

3 hours ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

The opinionated loudmouth (-: who doesn't realize his moderately successful loudmouthed opinions has made him a bit of an expert :-) has replied :-)

[PHD]
Members
1,514 posts
6,471 battles
5 hours ago, Lert said:

I was just commenting that apparently my FR and IJN DDs seem to be a bit odd for turret traverse. Some else remaked to that effect. And maybe I was fishing for comments from more experianced players, of which your are one expert or not.:Smile_honoring:

[PHD]
Members
1,514 posts
6,471 battles
6 hours ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Well, IJN DD's have slow turrets (at least for DD"s) so expert marksman will help them so they're a weird case. Putting expert marksman on a US Navy DD is a complete waste of time, as the turrets turn so fast to begin with. Nothing will help the Minekaze's guns, good thing she all about spamming torps like mad.

I'm not sure about having a different captains build for CO-Op v/s Randoms, it's just better to build to the strength of your ship, I run a secondary build on all my battleships, just for the cases when I end up in that brawl and for it's benefits to AA.

Weird case, story of my life.:Smile_unsure:

Speaking of weird, how does a ship that "needs to spam torps like mad" find itself on the IJN gunboat tech tree? Never mind, I know, WG.

[WPORT]
Members
5,499 posts
10,525 battles

Some DD's, (French and Japanese, for example) have slow turret rotation.  The ship and out-turn its' turrets, as the saying goes.

Such ships benefit from upgrade modules and Captain's Skills that improve the turret rotation.

Others, such as battleship Queen Elizabeth, also have slow turret rotation and benefit from turret rotation improvements.

Whether or not a skill is worth learning or an upgrade is worth purchasing will depend upon the specifications of the ship and its' intended use and the play-style of the player.

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,048 posts
12,728 battles
1 hour ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

Weird case, story of my life.:Smile_unsure:

Speaking of weird, how does a ship that "needs to spam torps like mad" find itself on the IJN gunboat tech tree? Never mind, I know, WG.

You can get the torp reload down to 38 seconds with skills. It's also not really a gun line until tier 8, before that it's more of a "dirty tricks" line.

[PHD]
Members
1,514 posts
6,471 battles
3 hours ago, SgtBeltfed said:

You can get the torp reload down to 38 seconds with skills. It's also not really a gun line until tier 8, before that it's more of a "dirty tricks" line.

I am training a gunboat captain in that ship and line, he has 15 points, I thought I would make the last four IFHE but that will not be useful until tier 8. But I can use him in the Harakaze.

I often use guns in the IJN DDs when it is useful and I can get away with it.

[PHD]
Members
1,514 posts
6,471 battles
5 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Some DD's, (French and Japanese, for example) have slow turret rotation.  The ship and out-turn its' turrets, as the saying goes.

Such ships benefit from upgrade modules and Captain's Skills that improve the turret rotation.

Others, such as battleship Queen Elizabeth, also have slow turret rotation and benefit from turret rotation improvements.

Whether or not a skill is worth learning or an upgrade is worth purchasing will depend upon the specifications of the ship and its' intended use and the play-style of the player.

I found Expert Loader nice in the Furutaka. Pass an island and have a nice squishy broadside crusier appear and I need AP right now.

• Funny 1

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,048 posts
12,728 battles
6 hours ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

I am training a gunboat captain in that ship and line, he has 15 points, I thought I would make the last four IFHE but that will not be useful until tier 8. But I can use him in the Harakaze.

I often use guns in the IJN DDs when it is useful and I can get away with it.

That's pretty much how all IJN DD's work, except the 100mm machine gun boats.