You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
southside721

Next Ship

19 comments in this topic

Members
11 posts
3,561 battles

General question, just curious lol.  I have a bunch of points and am ready to move up another chain on one of many ladders....which ship should I go to next, these are my options:

Mogami, Amagi, Seattle, Izmail, Tashkent, Roon, Monarch, or Alsace?

I'm thinking in terms of keeping the ship and playing it, as opposed to just researching and moving on.  I'm going to do that with the Mogami unless I hear otherwise, since I already have an Atago which is a better version.  Probably will research then skip the Seattle too and maybe the Monarch.  Any thoughts?  I'm leaning towards Amagi and Alsace since I want to keep plugging upwards to the Yamato and I hear the Alsace is pretty good.

I already hit the X ship in several other branches (Montana, Minoutaur, Des Moines) and have the FDG but am a ways away from the Kurfurst

Thanks!

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,142 posts
18,994 battles

Mogami is a good keeper with the 15x 152s and fits nicely alongside Atago, which is 8x 203.

The others are all kinda grind-and-sell ones, more or less. Out of the ones you've listed I've sold all except Mogami.

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
4,689 posts
1 hour ago, southside721 said:

General question, just curious lol.  I have a bunch of points and am ready to move up another chain on one of many ladders....which ship should I go to next, these are my options:

I'm thinking in terms of keeping the ship and playing it, as opposed to just researching and moving on.  I'm going to do that with the Mogami unless I hear otherwise, since I already have an Atago which is a better version.  Probably will research then skip the Seattle too and maybe the Monarch.  Any thoughts?  I'm leaning towards Amagi and Alsace since I want to keep plugging upwards to the Yamato and I hear the Alsace is pretty good.

I already hit the X ship in several other branches (Montana, Minoutaur, Des Moines) and have the FDG but am a ways away from the Kurfurst

Thanks!

I've done all of those. Only one I'd rather not play again is Tashkent. Rest were a lot of fun. 

Edited by thebigblue

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
29 minutes ago, Lert said:

Mogami is a good keeper with the 15x 152s and fits nicely alongside Atago, which is 8x 203.

The others are all kinda grind-and-sell ones, more or less. Out of the ones you've listed I've sold all except Mogami.

I agree on most of what you said except that like Mogami the Amagi is also a keeper. I have a captain being leveled up to 19 points to serve on both Amagi and Kii. Amagi is good at the Battlecruiser plays style of using the speed to be where and when you want and thennusing the firepower to destroy the targets. Now granted Battlecruiser is and needs to be a play style that a player needs for ships like Amagi, but if your good with said play style then the ship is great.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,142 posts
18,994 battles
2 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I agree on most of what you said except that like Mogami the Amagi is also a keeper.

You make fair points and are not wrong. :) Reason I don't have Amagi is because I have Kii and Ashitaka, which fill a similar enough niche and scratch a similar itch for me.

• Cool 1

[LANCE]
Members
793 posts
5,904 battles

Khaba is the only tier X I have that I wish I’d never gotten. It’s the red headed stepchild to the French DD line and certainly could never be claimed to land in the said “Russian bias”! It used to be one of the ships I hated playing against but now (imho) has suffered the dreaded power-creep to the absolute max. Even it’s new UU makes it a lot worse.

Im terrible in it (not that great in any of my ships) so take this post for what you will but unless you absolutely LOVE the Tashkent I’d give it a miss!

Edited by Bravo4zero
Lots of spelling mistakes etc

[KWF]
Members
4,372 posts
6,405 battles

Tashkent has quite a bad rep but right now she is one of the best open water gunboats, in my book superior to Khaba.

Can get up to 15.2km with AFT with decent shell ballistics. 

Suprisingly agile for her size and obviously very fast. 

Workable concealment and decent fast reloading torpedoes meaning you can actually use them. 

Repair Party.

Constantly underestimated due to her former "Trashkent" reputation.

In contrast to Khaba BB AP doesn't arm in your hull, meaning you can escape otherwise catastrophic damage. 

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
55 minutes ago, Lert said:

You make fair points and are not wrong. :) Reason I don't have Amagi is because I have Kii and Ashitaka, which fill a similar enough niche and scratch a similar itch for me.

And that would take care of your needs in that area. Although Amagi still has some slight differences that can come into play if you get really technical. 

I never have premium time unless gifted it or gotten from WG for free. So having both Amagi and Kii working together has been essential to get the captain trained by alternating the captain to collect daily  bonus. Despite my build being rather similar to some of my other BB captain builds, it does have some changes such as double catapult fighters as Amagi and Kii have such long hulls to tempt CVs into trying torpedo and rocket attacks. So I add a little insurance onto them. Plus the Spotter planes are not as needed thanks to the ships already having considerable range plus their speed that allows them to close the distance if needed. I also have a growing addiction to using Battlecruisers in the game lol.

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,644 posts
34,917 battles

Mogami with 155 definitely. Don't run it with 203mm because you have Atago already.

Alsace is a beast if you like BBs. Izmail can be very good too and has the added bonus that it works well in Ops. Amagi is good but I am in the same boat as Lert.

Roon is strong but not the best at tier.

Tashkent I never liked because it has huge visibility but guns and speed are very good.

Seattle and Monarch I can't comment much on. Had them and sold them years ago. They didn't do much for me.

Edited by alexf24

Members
667 posts
9,190 battles

I enjoyed Amagi, Roon, Mogami, and Alsace. All were keepers for me when I grinded those lines(though some have been thru nerfs or buffs since).

[-GOD-]
[-GOD-]
Members
1,188 posts
4 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Seattle and Monarch I can't comment much on. Had them and sold them years ago. They didn't do much for me.

LOL They don't do much for anybody.

If only getting one now then like Lert said i'd go with the 'gami.

Members
235 posts

I really enjoyed the IJN cruiser line, personally I think it is very underrated because it was one of the original lines, with the meta in the game that normally kills off all the DDs in the first half of the game IJN cruisers not only stealth torp with some of the best torps in the game they can fire start with the best of them so if you know what you are doing you can take on pretty much any BB around the same tier one on one, they can't push you because of your hard hitting torps that are likely in the water before you see them, they can kite because you will burn them to death, as long as you remember to always angle!!  

Edited by Bluemoon51

Members
11 posts
3,561 battles

Thanks everyone, weighed all the options and will go with Alsace for now, but will use your input for the next round!

[NSEW]
Members
1,858 posts
10,711 battles
4 hours ago, southside721 said:

Alsace, I would've kept Alsace.  Fits nicely in Tier 9 with matchmaking, and her armour scheme throws question marks to most BB gunners. Not to mention her specialty, speed.

Members
137 posts
11,317 battles

I would go with the Alsace. The French battleship line was probably my favorite grind I've ever done (at least the T6-T10).

Honestly, with their smaller-caliber guns, excellent speed, and not-so-great armor, they're probably the closest thing to a battle cruiser line in world of warships.

I like them all.

[CVA16]
Members
5,391 posts
16,210 battles

I'm (finally) working toward the Mogami. Getting close(ish) Probably won't keep the Myoko since I have the ARP Haguro. Currently those two share a captain. Unfortunately, the Mogami will require a different captain for IFHE.. Another grind...sigh.

I assume  the torpedo upgrade for the Myoko isn''t worthwhile if I don't plan on keeping her.

[RKLES]
Members
807 posts

I found the Roon a very fun ship to play, Meta has changed quite a bit since I did the German line. Back then she was a great kiter that could really pull people in her trap of trying to chase her down.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,875 posts
16,304 battles

Of all your choices I only have the Mogami and Alsace.  It took me awhile to adapt to the Alsace but now I really enjoy her ... I hope you do as well.  I share an Honore brother between her and Jean Bart ... it makes for a good pairing ... and I don't miss Richileau at all!

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,990 posts
5,814 battles

Why not just research and keep all of them?

They'll come in handy when Christmas steel events roll around.