You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lylanthwol

T-61 It's me. I struggle.

4 comments in this topic

Members
103 posts
2,727 battles

Just to say this up front, I've not played DD's since I added an Isokaze and a Clemson to my port... like 3 years ago.  So calling me a Novice would be a compliment.

I grabbed a T-61 to rack up some Soviet tokens in the cruiser event.

I've watched iChase's video, but I didn't get a ton out of it as he's driving a Shima, but I got a couple of things.  I've watched a few other vids, still struggling.

I've just been playing Co-Op since I don't want to saddle a Random team with my handicap (which would be about a 57 over 9 holes).

1st struggle: Concealment.  I've gotten better with it, but I'm still bad.  Driving with the mini-map, watching my circles, but I still see "Detected" with a 4 in the dreaded little circle all too often.

2nd struggle: Squishy Fish Bote.  Every time I engage.  Steering Gear Incapacitated.  Engine Incapacitated.  Rinse.  Repeat.  DCP throws wrenches in ocean.  Time for me to feed the squid.

The good news is I can aim torpedoes.  Pleasantly surprised at how many Citadels this little cigar box of a boat can rack up.  Too bad I'm usually sunk too early in the game to make a difference in the end-game.

This is not a b*tch thread.  It seems like a good boat, its the under-powered driver that's the problem.  This is a "please master, help me get better!" thread!  This is a totally different play style and requires a totally different mindset.  I can now appreciate a good DD driver all the more for sure.

Suggestions, mentorship, life-jackets and deck chairs welcome and appreciated.

Danke 

[5IN]
Members
133 posts
25,161 battles

My advice would be to go back and play the Isokaze and Clemson again before the T-61. Maybe go down the German DD line so you get a good captain for the T-61. You really want a 10 point captain for the T-61, and the early German DD's are really fun. After a bit of that, you'll figure it out. 

Members
3,761 posts
23,385 battles

Having your steering or engine knocked it is quite common with DDs. That's why the Last Stand captain skill is absolutely critical to have for your DD captain.

• Cool 1

[META_]
Members
1,252 posts
16,152 battles

I absolutely agree about the last stand captain perk. It's an absolute must.... Secondly I wait for reds to try to cap and cruise around islands to sneak up so I can smoke or enter their smoke then hydro..... Your main tool is those quick reload torps.. Keep them singing.. I don't care if you miss... It's a matter of numbers.. Throw enough crap at the ships some will hit.... But save your hydro for capping or resetting caps... Happy hunting Captain 😎 

• Cool 1