You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LAnybody

Maybe, just MAYBE announce significant ship changes in somewhere other than in tiny font in Release Notes?

65 comments in this topic

[BIER]
Members
463 posts
6,918 battles

After getting blind-sided by a T-22 with Hydro tonight, I had to look up to see when this was added.

Turns out, in 0.9.4.

At the bottom of the Release Notes.

In a "have to click here to uncover" section.

In small font.

MAYBE, when you guys make a VERY signficant change to a ship, you MIGHT want to announce it more openly.

And, by the way, I had to edit the Wiki to remove the section that EXPLICITLY SAID the T-22 didn't have hydro.

Adding hydro to ship that didn't have it before, AND IS NOW THE ONLY T5 DD THAT HAS HYDRO is a very significant change.

Sheesh.

Edited by LAnybody
  • Cool 8
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 9

Members
246 posts
310 battles

I think it is established fact at this point that WG generally is pretty bad at communication.

• Cool 11
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[WOLF7]
Members
12,596 posts

90% of the player base never reads a single thing about the game.

The reason that WG is offering extra tokens in the news articles is to try and get people more involved, to bad that ship sailed years ago. :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 3

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,242 posts
12,670 battles
14 minutes ago, KosmicRavioli said:

I think it is established fact at this point that WG generally is pretty bad at communication.

Their preferred clientele is the kind that never bother to read anything. The release notes, the mini-map, the chat, anything,

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles

Where and how would you have communicated this?  I'm curious. 

If you have an answer, remember, whatever technique you suggest will be used for every significant change in the game,  so it has to be able to be applied to them all.  You cant just plop a note on the game screen on login stating this 1 change to this 1 ship, because it has to work for every change on every ship.

Gets a little harder huh.  Now add the fact that the playerbase has shown time after time after time that they wont read anything.  So now what?  Force them to watch a video with a pretty lady in it and then answer a quiz afterwards making sure they know what has changed?

I agree it sucks that you missed a change.  Now you know about it.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 2

[BLKRS]
Alpha Tester
1,056 posts
2,901 battles
10 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

If you have an answer, remember, whatever technique you suggest will be used for every significant change in the game,  so it has to be able to be applied to them all.  You cant just plop a note on the game screen on login stating this 1 change to this 1 ship, because it has to work for every change on every ship.

Gets a little harder huh.  Now add the fact that the playerbase has shown time after time after time that they wont read anything.  So now what?  Force them to watch a video with a pretty lady in it and then answer a quiz afterwards making sure they know what has changed?

lol dude what? XD

How people go to such extreme logical off shoots like this is beyond me.. The dude isn't expecting flashy neon colors on the loading screen, or port.. Holy crap..

He's just saying they should list major changes like this IN THE PATCH NOTES in a way which is communicated properly its a major change..... Was that really so hard to grasp?

Example: Having a dedicated portion in the patch notes which is "Major changes to ships" and listing those changes in bold font or something.... easy..

• Cool 4
  • Boring 2

[MKF]
Members
583 posts
20,416 battles
43 minutes ago, chewonit said:

Their preferred clientele is the kind that never bother to read anything. The release notes, the mini-map, the chat, anything,

+1 for a great summary

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

Maybe, just maybe you should bother to read the patch notes more carefully. The information is there, if you failed to see it this is your fault and not WGs. 

Unfortunately OP is a example of our player base, most of them dont care about the game. They just log in, pew pew a little and log out, wihtout realizing what is happening to the game around them. Most dont even bother to read the patch notes to see what is changing. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 4

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles
36 minutes ago, Lady_Athena said:

lol dude what? XD

How people go to such extreme logical off shoots like this is beyond me.. The dude isn't expecting flashy neon colors on the loading screen, or port.. Holy crap..

He's just saying they should list major changes like this IN THE PATCH NOTES in a way which is communicated properly its a major change..... Was that really so hard to grasp?

Example: Having a dedicated portion in the patch notes which is "Major changes to ships" and listing those changes in bold font or something.... easy..

You mean, like the current patch notes, that says "GAME BALANCE CHANGES"  - that has always listed the ship specific changes?  Why didn't they think of that.

If you are trying to tell me that this player read every single word of the patch notes, but then FAILED to read the information under the link that says GAME BALANCE CHANGES and other links (that honestly contain the BULK of the patch note information) - I don't even know what to say.  It is FAR more likely that he glanced at the notes (as many players do), and even if every single detail was listed out without any links, he STILL would have missed it. 

I'd venture a real guess that the first time he even accessed the notes was when he went looking for this change - thus my slight tangent about how he would actually like this communicated.

Edited by Old_Baldy_One
  • Cool 3

[PVE]
Members
1,696 posts
14,475 battles

31 minutes ago, Xlap said:

Maybe, just maybe you should bother to read the patch notes more carefully. The information is there, if you failed to see it this is your fault and not WGs. 

Unfortunately OP is a example of our player base, most of them dont care about the game. They just log in, pew pew a little and log out, wihtout realizing what is happening to the game around them. Most dont even bother to read the patch notes to see what is changing. 

59 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

The knight knighting is strong on this thread.

You would think they wrote the patch notes themselves. 

Seriously, of all the things to get "in the tank" about, release note formatting is beyond ridiculous.

Edited by Rabbitt81

[GRAVE]
Members
1,268 posts
18,780 battles
1 hour ago, LAnybody said:

After getting blind-sided by a T-22 with Hydro tonight, I had to look up to see when this was added.

Turns out, in 0.9.4.

In small font.

MAYBE, when you guys make a VERY signficant change to a ship, you MIGHT want to announce it more openly.

And, by the way, I had to edit the Wiki to remove the section that EXPLICITLY SAID the T-22 didn't have hydro.

Adding hydro to ship that didn't have it before, AND IS NOW THE ONLY T5 DD THAT HAS HYDRO is a very significant change.

Sheesh.

Btw, this change was also first mentioned 2wks before the patch in a dev blog post about 9.4 balance changes, so it’s not like this was an 11th hour change

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles
7 minutes ago, Rabbitt81 said:

The knight knighting is strong on this thread.

You would think they wrote the patch notes themselves. 

Seriously, of all the things to get "in the tank" about, release note formatting is beyond ridiculous.

I admit i was a little hangry...was waiting for my Culvers food to come out while responding, after having completed a 24 hour fast :)

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,566 posts
11,165 battles
1 hour ago, Lady_Athena said:

lol dude what? XD

IT was mentioned numerous times before and in the patch notes . 

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles
1 hour ago, Lady_Athena said:

lol dude what? XD

He has no reason to complain since WG already does this. Major changes to the game are highlited, like new ship lines, major events, map/mechanics changes. While specific ship changes, with nerfs and buffs to specific ships, are under the "Game Balance Changes" tab.

Members
1,660 posts
2 hours ago, LAnybody said:

Turns out, in 0.9.4.

In small font.

Sheesh.

Sounds like the T-22 announced the change rather effectively.  You 100% know it now has hydro and knowing is half the battle.

You may have have also learned to read patch notes carefully, but we'll have to wait till 0.9.5 to see.

images(23).jpg

• Funny 1

Members
270 posts
5,091 battles

Siding with Picard on this one

Let's check the 0.9.4 patch notes:

image.thumb.png.984b29f3193a48dacd75dd50acff2a02.png

Sounds like something to do with game balance, let's expand

image.thumb.png.85aea226141bc954f9bd5b609d3b3c0b.png

Yep, scroll down...

image.png.cfea5aeb7fa1cdb2b6d7b2f18b5974ec.png

Here it is. Simple to navigate through.

There's no better way for WG to really communicate all this info in detail to the rest of the playerbase. They could always go the way of other games' patch notes (ex: Character x: adjusted attack speed and range), but that's lazy and causing more work for dataminers.

You can't force people to read patch notes. I actually enjoy it as I get to see what was specifically changed. If you don't choose to read them, it's sort of a play-at-your-own-risk situation if you are competitive.

Edited by FullMetal_Inferno
  • Cool 2

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,771 posts
4,631 battles
3 hours ago, LAnybody said:

Hey, I missed it too.  Thanks for the edit.

BTW, I have a bit of a gripe, too.  WG waits until the last day before the changes drop before telling *anyone* about them.  (The change itself might be mentioned in a DevBlog, but those can't be relied on for timing or correctness.)  In this case, I re-did the Hydro table ahead of time since the Consumables changes were known -- when the T-22 change wasn't.  Should I have waited a week?  Table would have been doubly wrong for you.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 1

Members
3,584 posts
12,964 battles
1 hour ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

I admit i was a little hangry...was waiting for my Culvers food to come out while responding, after having completed a 24 hour fast :)

Mmm yummy cheese curds. 

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,123 posts
7,989 battles
4 hours ago, LAnybody said:

They announced it on their dev blog, which was posted on the forums, and on Reddit, as well as linked in their official Discord server in addition to the mentioned Patch Notes.  War Gaming is plenty transparent about balance changes to anyone that actively cares to follow them.  

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WORX]
Members
10,635 posts
18,550 battles

It looks like a user reading issue... In where the red T-22 read the patch notes while the OP did not... In turn the T-22 took full adv. of the situation...

This is the case of reading is OP, WG should nerf reading immediately.

• Cool 1

Members
137 posts
11,313 battles

If I remember correctly, someone made a post about this and other changes made for 0.9.4. If only I knew who it was... Hmm.

Members
246 posts
310 battles
5 hours ago, chewonit said:

They fairly often make erroneous statements (like saying you can exchange credits for doubloons on multiple occasions), misrepresent the accessibility of events and rewards (like the Puerto Rico event) and fail to effectively notify users on upcoming changes.

Even those of us who are on top of these things often have to ask each other what exactly does an announcement they have made actually means and how it will come to be.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,082 posts
14,317 battles
4 hours ago, yashma said:

War Gaming is plenty transparent about balance changes to anyone that actively cares to follow them.  

Therein lies the catch.

[BIER]
Members
463 posts
6,918 battles

OK, couple of things:

(1) DevBlog is NOT AUTHORITATIVE, and contains a HUGE amount of speculative information. Claiming that people should read the Dev Blog as some way to know what is coming along in a patch is like claiming that I should read the Democratic National Committee's Policy Statements to know what US Law says.  Moreover, it's obscure enough that expecting people to read it for any relevant game data is laughable.  I know where it is, but as I don't make a living off of WoWS, expecting even very informed people like me to keep constantly abreast of all the crap that comes across DevBlog is ludicrous, let alone the "average" player.

(2)  the forum postings are the EXACT SAME AS DEVBLOG in terms of reliability, authoritativeness, and predictive ability. Reading the forums to know about FUTURE stuff is ridiculous.

(3)  The changes are at the VERY bottom of the Release Notes.  In 10 point text. Buried in a drop-down.  It doesn't get much more obscure in terms of failing to communicate on an "official" release document.  It's literally like hiding the fact that you're going to increase the federal deficit by 20% in a footnote of Appendix 1020 of the Omnibus Spending Act (all 20,000 pages of it).   

Major changes should be at the TOP of the Release Notes, in 18 point text, NOT hidden in a "Click here to see" link.

Heck, the best way to do this is that it should be an IN-GAME POP-UP WINDOW on login immediately after each release. They do this for all sorts of other stuff, and it would be, by far, the most reasonable way to inform people of major changes.  Not "balance" stuff, but significant stuff like altering game mechanics, feature changes in various ships, etc.

Refer To The Fine Manual is not a justified corporate communications strategy for critical information.

Edited by LAnybody
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[BIER]
Members
463 posts
6,918 battles

6 hours ago, yashma said:

They announced it on their dev blog, which was posted on the forums, and on Reddit, as well as linked in their official Discord server in addition to the mentioned Patch Notes.  War Gaming is plenty transparent about balance changes to anyone that actively cares to follow them.  

And NONE of those are ways you communicate with your Player Base, who are CUSTOMERS. 

You folks are continually confusing the existence of DEVELOPER-related information with CUSTOMER-related information. 

The forum & DevBlog aren't even remotely authoritative. Reddit is gossip, the Discord server is the for the tiny percentage of the base that plays competitive, and the Patch Notes had it buried at the end.

They're not transparent to their customers in the least.  Any Customer Relations person would laugh at the above as being ways you communicate effectively to your customer.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1