You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.

38 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
2,847 posts
22,829 battles

Just got out of match on OCEAN must admit been awhile but it was great to be back there, no islands with palm trees swaying in the wind , no champagne sipping tourists lying on a beach watching the battle unfold, no coal mines sending out pollution from there stacks, no coast-watchers to give away fleet positions to the enemy, no houses with white picket fences, just deep blue pixel sea.

However when all players finally loaded in it was pandemonium, groans of dread, screams and cries of sheer panic as the in game chat both open and in team exploded, players shouting " what the hell is this " and  " Battleships will be our islands " beautiful absolutely beautiful to read and see the utter chaos on the high seas.Not a cloud in the sky, ships of all description sailing around trying to hide behind each other, the Function buttons working over time. 

Fortunately there were some wise heads on our team and with some co ordination working and we steam rolled the enemy which is what I don't find hilarious, it was the pre action and cockroach movement like entertainment of both fleets that I did. 

Ah WG's new generation of players, its games like this and moments like that to cherish that make this game bearable.

WG  please please make OCEAN's map rotation more accessible.         

Edited by tm63au
  • Cool 19
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 1

[FML]
Members
3,943 posts
15,522 battles

Ocean is fine for some ship types, like open-water fast gunboat destroyers, heavy cruisers particularly with long range radar, especially Soviet cruisers. It’s also good for stealthy IJN cruisers with torps, and stealthy but fast DDs with torps. 

Battleships is a bit of a mixed bag.

Its terrible for light cruisers. Except probably Belfast and Smolensk, which brings their own island in the form of smoke to HE spam you.

Where only some types of ship are effective - That’s not great map design. Though it is more realistic. 

I understand islands can be a pain. And an island camping HE spammer is shoe damned annoying. But given entire ship lines are like that, it’s right for the game to adjust the battlespace to make those nations and lines not irrelevant. 

And personally, I like islands - they allow me to plan surprise suicide-torp ambushes against ignorant or overconfident battleships, like the Montana I dev struck with my Hindenberg at the A cap of Okinawa earlier today.  That was fun.  I enjoyed that.  

Couldnt do that in Ocean.  

Edited by UltimateNewbie
  • Cool 1

[TIGRB]
Members
309 posts
1,271 battles

I agree Sir! Would really love to have more open water battles. I wish they had a Battle of Jutland operation. That would be so epic!:cap_horn:

• Cool 3

[TIGRB]
Members
860 posts
16,529 battles

I am of the same opinion. Love Ocean map. It would really show raw skill by players and force teams to work together. I do like some of the maps with islands at times but the higher tier you go islands are frustrating.

I doubt most players will want more of Ocean but I could be wrong. Maybe they should do a poll?

• Cool 3

[WPORT]
Members
5,531 posts
10,535 battles
1 hour ago, tm63au said:

Just got out of match on OCEAN must admit been awhile but it was great to be back there, no islands with palm trees swaying in the wind , no champagne sipping tourists lying on a beach watching the battle unfold, no coal mines sending out pollution from there stacks, no coast-watchers give away fleet positions to the enemy, no houses with white picket fences, just deep blue pixel sea.

However when all players finally loaded in it was pandemonium, groans of dread, screams and cries of sheer panic as the in game chat both open and in team exploded, players shouting " what the hell is this " and  " Battleships will be our islands " beautiful absolutely beautiful to read and see the utter chaos on the high seas.Not a cloud in the sky, ships of all description sailing around trying to hide behind each other, the Function buttons working over time. 

Fortunately there were some wise heads on our team and with some co ordination working and we steam rolled the enemy which is what I don't find hilarious, it was the pre action and cockroach movement like entertainment of both fleets that I did. 

Ah WG's new generation of players, its games like this and moments like that to cherish that make this game bearable.

Without islands to enable people to play a giant game of "Paintball" with ships, then people have to learn how to "Navy" again.  :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 3

[NDA]
Supertester
5,248 posts
8,704 battles

Lol i thought that map got deleted from the game.  I haven't played on it since early 2019 IIRC 

[WOLF5]
Members
1,083 posts
8,939 battles

I will also cast my vote for much more availability of the Ocean Map at all tiers.

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
2,847 posts
22,829 battles
9 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Without islands to enable people to play a giant game of "Paintball" with ships, then people have to learn how to "Navy" again.  :Smile_teethhappy:

I could not get over how many people went off, its was like they have been so use to the safety of islands that when they got into the game and saw the map and the realisation of what lay before them and I'm including half our team the in game chatline exploded, I couldn't keep up reading what was been written.

Fortunately having played the map many times way back when its was often rotated, along with about 4 or 5 more players on our team went into action straight away took the initiative, the reds had maybe 2 or 3 that new what to but the rest were panic stricken.

It was like what do we do where do we go, get behind a BB.

This is why OCEAN should be more frequent so people can handle playing out in the open with more confidence.

cheers    

[POP]
Members
2,847 posts
22,829 battles
14 minutes ago, DJC_499 said:

I will also cast my vote for much more availability of the Ocean Map at all tiers.

Just wait till they have to face Subs in it, good lord  the J line and the A line is going to look pretty full in games 

WG needs to start doing those Vids on map tactics again like they use to make and put up on the main web site and they need  one specifically for OCEAN.

Edited by tm63au

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,381 posts
20,051 battles

Wouldn't it be nice if there were hundreds of maps?

Were you might not see the same map twice in one day.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,740 posts
2 hours ago, tm63au said:

Agreed -- More Ocean Please. 

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
2,847 posts
22,829 battles
5 minutes ago, SilverPhatShips said:

Wouldn't it be nice if there were hundreds of maps?

Were you might not see the same map twice in one day.

I can certainly agree with that it would be nice if some maps went away for a long time not OCEAN though :Smile_Default::Smile_great:

[WOLF3]
Members
27,106 posts
23,865 battles

I remember you people around here wanted less of "Ocean."
WG even lessened it showing up in MM for you guys.

[_BDA_]
Members
311 posts
4,895 battles

If you want this map more often to teach players naval tactics, perhaps it should not be restricted to Tier X.  

• Boring 1

[POP]
Members
2,847 posts
22,829 battles
37 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Actually i was not part of any movement to get rid of it 

[POP]
Members
2,847 posts
22,829 battles
7 minutes ago, michael_zahnle said:

If you want this map more often to teach players naval tactics, perhaps it should not be restricted to Tier X.  

Yes it would be a good idea for lower tier matches 

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,740 posts
1 minute ago, tm63au said:

Actually i was not part of any movement to get rid of it 

Neither was I. 

Always have to :Smile_facepalm: when I see those "first you people asked for this, then you people asked for the opposite" comments...  as if the forums or any other venue of opinion were a unanimous monolith.  

[TRU]
Members
607 posts
18,327 battles

I love this map except when I am trying to grind my smokeless British cruiser.  Shimakaze anyone?

Members
103 posts
2,727 battles
1 hour ago, Wo_9 said:

Lol i thought that map got deleted from the game.  I haven't played on it since early 2019 IIRC 

I honestly thought the same thing.  I quit 2 years ago and came back recently and have it seen it so I thought it had been deleted.   One of the things I despise is rock humping.  Ocean forces different game play, team work is a necessity.  

More Ocean please

[POP]
Members
2,847 posts
22,829 battles
3 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Neither was I. 

Always have to :Smile_facepalm: when I see those "first you people asked for this, then you people asked for the opposite" comments...  as if the forums or any other venue of opinion were a unanimous monolith.  

I know one map I would vote to get rid of no make that two "Tears of pain " and  "Strait ".

Banish them into black hole 

Edited by tm63au

Members
113 posts
3,222 battles

Been playing about a year, never seen the Ocean map in random. When I first played the game I came close to giving up on it immediately because it struck me as absurd that capital ships would be engaging in massive battles in coastal archipelagos. It still is absurd but now I realize this is basically an enhanced arcade shooter, something I wasn’t counting on coming to enjoy as much as I do.

Still, it would be cool to play on a wide open sea from time to time in random battles. 

Edited by sirwill1972

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,570 posts
11,192 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Not me . I actually had two games in the ocean map the other night and lost both badly . But it was fun listening to every body panic with no islands .  I was in a Musashi in one game and I didn't fair to well .

I like the ocean map for a change of pace .

Members
834 posts
4,679 battles

I would assume Ocean is coming back only once WG have adjusted it to the new graphical settings.

[DOG]
Members
1,109 posts
11,823 battles
4 hours ago, tm63au said:

Just got out of match on OCEAN must admit been awhile but it was great to be back there, no islands with palm trees swaying in the wind , no champagne sipping tourists lying on a beach watching the battle unfold, no coal mines sending out pollution from there stacks, no coast-watchers give away fleet positions to the enemy, no houses with white picket fences, just deep blue pixel sea.

It would be hilarious to have Ocean in clan battles.  Also, I'd like to see a modified Ocean map, with maybe one or two islands, and only in the middle of caps, and not around the edges.

• Cool 2