DeathLord1969

Wows and firewalls

15 comments in this topic

Members
926 posts
3,711 battles

So I recently reinstalled wows for .9.4 after taking some time off. Now my firewall keeps asking for permission for everything wg related in regards to the wgc & wows. I have allowed the wgc.exe to send a TCP packet to various IPs/ports over & over. It also does this with other wows related files. I click allow, then it pops up again & I click allow yet again.

How many times does this need to be done and why so many different IPs/ports?

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,024 posts

usually when click the allow popup it's for all so only need to do once.  your running non standard settings?

[WORX]
Members
9,064 posts
17,223 battles
5 minutes ago, DeathLord1969 said:

So I recently reinstalled wows for .9.4 after taking some time off. Now my firewall keeps asking for permission for everything wg related in regards to the wgc & wows. I have allowed the wgc.exe to send a TCP packet to various IPs/ports over & over. It also does this with other wows related files. I click allow, then it pops up again & I click allow yet again.

How many times does this need to be done and why so many different IPs/ports?

Ask your fire wall provider that question...

Check your fire wall settings concerning notifications.

Edited by Navalpride33

1,024 posts

or it's your AV being over protective ...

[NWOC]
[NWOC]
Members
977 posts
11,104 battles

Run a Malwarebytes check for Trojans. It may be the problem. I have three now, but Mal'bytes kicks them where my AV does not. This has only been a hassle in the last four/five weeks. Having stated the above, I am OCONUS in s.africa, a country not exactly noted for...... 

Members
926 posts
3,711 battles
4 hours ago, Ozium said:

usually when click the allow popup it's for all so only need to do once.  your running non standard settings?

Non standard according to what?

4 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Ask your fire wall provider that question...

Check your fire wall settings concerning notifications.

Have sent a post to them.

43 minutes ago, Gruntdog_3 said:

Run a Malwarebytes check for Trojans. It may be the problem. I have three now, but Mal'bytes kicks them where my AV does not. This has only been a hassle in the last four/five weeks. Having stated the above, I am OCONUS in s.africa, a country not exactly noted for...... 

Have run malwarebytes as well and all clean.

1,024 posts
40 minutes ago, DeathLord1969 said:

Non standard according to what?

non standard Win, i.e. 3rd party stuff or custom Win settings

40 minutes ago, DeathLord1969 said:

Have sent a post to them

who is them? 

didn't quote and answer about what AV you use ...

Members
926 posts
3,711 battles
9 hours ago, Ozium said:

non standard Win, i.e. 3rd party stuff or custom Win settings

who is them? 

didn't quote and answer about what AV you use ...

It does this for one specific file each time, but has a different ip most of the times it asks. This is a fully updates legal win10.

It's Bitdefender that I use and have never had this issue prior to .9.4.

1,024 posts
1 minute ago, DeathLord1969 said:

It does this for one specific file each time, but has a different ip most of the times it asks. This is a fully updates legal win10.

It's Bitdefender that I use and have never had this issue prior to .9.4.

have you whitelisted type action on the whole folder? or both if game and launcher are in two places ...

Members
926 posts
3,711 battles
6 hours ago, Ozium said:

have you whitelisted type action on the whole folder? or both if game and launcher are in two places ...

Don't think there's an option for that. Also, the files that keep asking already have rules inplace for them, yet it still asks.

Edited by DeathLord1969

1,024 posts
1 hour ago, DeathLord1969 said:

Don't think there's an option for that. Also, the files that keep asking already have rules inplace for them, yet it still asks.

diff AV have diff word but it's same result, whitelist, trusted, exempt,  whatever lol

use browser noscript and only known/trusted locations for files. so basic Win defender works fine here ...

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
2,129 posts
12,910 battles

Aloha,

Sometimes you will click "allow" but the "only for this instance" may be checked also. Just make sure it is a rule that you set. This happens sometimes with updates because the programming may be updated and the firewall sees it as a new program.

-Hapa

Members
926 posts
3,711 battles
12 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Aloha,

Sometimes you will click "allow" but the "only for this instance" may be checked also. Just make sure it is a rule that you set. This happens sometimes with updates because the programming may be updated and the firewall sees it as a new program.

-Hapa

This firewall doesn't have that option. It's either allow or block when it pops up the alert. It's also doing it for the same ips repeatedly and multiple ips for the same .exe file such as wgc.exe etc. Each ip change would be the last few digits such as xxx.xxx.21, xxx.xxx.22 etc.

[Y0L0]
Members
36 posts
8,014 battles

disable bit defender when you are playing

or better yet uninstall that crap

make sure you dont have a double fire wall

does it actually stop you playing wows when its not enabled?

whats wrong with using windows firewall

[WG]
Developers
134 posts

Can you check if you have the recent AV/Firewall version installed? There were cases when AV releases new version software that suddenly announces WGC or WoWs as their sworn enemies.