Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Zeus_cat

Losing karma, don't know why

34 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

36
[O_S_D]
Members
174 posts
15,115 battles

First of all, I don't really care about karma, so losing or gaining it is no big deal (it is a pitiful 5 right now).  However, if my karma score changes I would like to know why.  I am just confused as to why someone docked me this morning.  Why did I lose a point?  I have absolutely no idea.  Isn't the point of karma to get me to change bad behavior and encourage good behavior?  I never swear at or belittle people in chat; so it wasn't misbehavior in chat.  I wasn't AFK.  So that pretty much means someone thought I played poorly.  But I did fairly well this morning; 3 victories and 1 defeat; second place three times and third place once.  But I lost a karma point somewhere between last night and those four battles this morning for some reason only known to the Wargaming gods and the guy who clicked on me. 

I had a three day chat ban a few months ago because I used a verboten word in chat one day.  Someone mentioned bosses in a battle and I said I used to work for a Na**.  I was in the USAF back in the 80's and a guy a few levels above me was one of those German guys they had to sneak into the US after the war.  Not sure what he did for the Germans in WWII, but President Truman banned those guys, so they snuck him in along with people like Werner Von Braun.  I got the chat ban notice and asked why.  They told me why and I learned my lesson; don't use that word.  

So wouldn't it make sense to have a message that states why I gained or lost a point and on which ship/battle.  Otherwise, you may as well have a random number generator raising or lowering my score every once in a while.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,518
[HINON]
Members
13,243 posts
13 minutes ago, Zeus_cat said:

Isn't the point of karma to get me to change bad behavior and encourage good behavior?

Karma just provides a meaningless outlet for those frustrated by something another player did or didnt do. I would mostly ignore it and work instead on bettering your own play.

 

whGNJkQ.jpg

Edited by RipNuN2
  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,638
[SALVO]
Members
4,358 posts
3,781 battles
9 minutes ago, Zeus_cat said:

However, if my karma score changes I would like to know why. 

Not sure either, I think is related to eating meet. being a bad neighbor, cheating on your tax declaration and stuff like that... try going vegan to improve your karma. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,601
[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,574 posts
15,635 battles
12 minutes ago, Zeus_cat said:

First of all, I don't really care about karma,

If this is the case, don’t sweat it.

 

I think most people are to some degree flattered by getting a “You was  complimented“ after a battle. 
 

You have to remember, playing this game you encounter thousands of different people with different personalities. Someone may have perceived you did some move incorrectly, didn’t provide smoke, cover fire, drop fighter coverage, spot, contest a cap, run from a cap, push, kite, you name it, etc etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,707
[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,565 posts
11,145 battles

Hey getting a complement is great I love it !!  Usually it means you did something good so yea it's nice feels good .

Negative karma just ignore it unless you know you said or did something stupid then try not to do it again . Usually negative Karma comes out of anger or frustration from a long losing streak or getting dev struck the player is just venting . Take it with a grain of salt it doesn't mean anything in the long run .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,201
[HEROS]
Members
1,990 posts
17,594 battles

Karma down votes are usually from someone who's being a bad sport, and there are a LOT of them out there.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,357
[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles

Karma goes up and down based on the whims of players in your games.

If you play poorly and talk trash in game, expect your karma to trend down. If you are playing well and either not chatting or chatting constructively, it will go up.

But trying to make sense out of random up/down karma actions will drive you nuts. Maybe someone was just really mad at the world and reported their whole team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,941
[TBW]
Members
10,278 posts
17,459 battles

I rarely give out negative Karma, I give out lots of positive Karma. Most of it in Operations to players that score higher than me but sometimes the whole team. I give bad karma to people that shoot their own team mates on purpose.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,462
[GOB]
Members
2,048 posts

You can have a game where you selflessly risk your ship to save another or to get that winning cap or smoke up a teammate and save them and STILL get a down vote.

Just ignore it, .. I personally have fun with it myself.  If I see it going up I just play a round or 2 in my Smol...

STRAIGHT back to Zero :cap_rambo::cap_like:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,707
[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,565 posts
11,145 battles
31 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Karma just provides a meaningless outlet for those frustrated by something another player did or didnt do. I would mostly ignore it and work instead on bettering your own play.

 

whGNJkQ.jpg

We need a new meme for post like this an up dated version .

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
235
[BSL]
Members
1,201 posts
20,867 battles

Just face it...you didn't play like they wanted you to.  Shame on you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
346
[LOSC]
Members
577 posts

It doesn't help when certain CC's that Stream  "jXsh" constantly down vote players

because they are Un-experienced and played worst than someone who has massive experience.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
185
[CDOH]
Members
377 posts
6,854 battles

 Most people in the game of zero karma.  Really only like two players per team have any Karma. Funny thing is if i see a player with Karma and a significant amount you know he is a good player. Don't worry about karma just ignore it.  Work on kills per game and damage per game.

Edited by Rothgar_57

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
803
[CK5]
Members
1,371 posts
14,304 battles

Karma down votes say a lot more about the sender than the recipient.  

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,715
[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles

Its pretty sad that you can get a karma reduction for having a great game, just as easily as having a bad one.  I don't even play CVs anymore cause, regardless of what happens, I seem to take a karma hit for doing my job.  Same with Colbert (which Im having trouble make work, admittedly) and Smolensk.

I try and compliment those who play well....but have pretty much given up on reporting - it doesn't even make me feel better really and since the person being reported gets 0 feedback about it..yea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,660 posts
1 hour ago, Zeus_cat said:

First of all, I don't really care about karma, so losing or gaining it is no big deal (it is a pitiful 5 right now).  However, if my karma score changes I would like to know why.  I am just confused as to why someone docked me this morning.  Why did I lose a point?  I have absolutely no idea.  Isn't the point of karma to get me to change bad behavior and encourage good behavior?  I never swear at or belittle people in chat; so it wasn't misbehavior in chat.  I wasn't AFK.  So that pretty much means someone thought I played poorly.  But I did fairly well this morning; 3 victories and 1 defeat; second place three times and third place once.  But I lost a karma point somewhere between last night and those four battles this morning for some reason only known to the Wargaming gods and the guy who clicked on me. 

I had a three day chat ban a few months ago because I used a verboten word in chat one day.  Someone mentioned bosses in a battle and I said I used to work for a Na**.  I was in the USAF back in the 80's and a guy a few levels above me was one of those German guys they had to sneak into the US after the war.  Not sure what he did for the Germans in WWII, but President Truman banned those guys, so they snuck him in along with people like Werner Von Braun.  I got the chat ban notice and asked why.  They told me why and I learned my lesson; don't use that word.  

So wouldn't it make sense to have a message that states why I gained or lost a point and on which ship/battle.  Otherwise, you may as well have a random number generator raising or lowering my score every once in a while.

Well, you do have cat in your name.  So...

Edited by Gunga_Dinner
spelling/typo
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
168
[CHBAY]
Beta Testers
552 posts
3,634 battles

I'd like to see some replays. People who hide in the back only to farm some fail damage is a good way to get neg bombed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,835
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,412 posts
14,163 battles

I have had matches where I played so far above my head that I could breath and lost karma. Without any accountability on neg repping someone this kind of stuff won't stop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,839
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,607 posts
2 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Not sure either, I think is related to eating meat...

When someone asks me how I could justify murdering a poor innocent pheasant and then eating it I ask them how can they justify the murder of the thousands of unborn plant babies that were used to make the bread for their vegan sandwich. Then, I tell them that I've saved thousands more unborn plant babies by killing that murderous grain-eating pheasant too. 

  • Funny 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
420
[AAA]
Members
447 posts
14,998 battles
1 hour ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

  I don't even play CVs anymore cause, regardless of what happens, I seem to take a karma hit for doing my job. 

Wait a minute. How can this be? We've been told repeatedly in this forum by a few select posters that the only people who don't like CVs are a few who post in the forums.

All these people referencing lost karma when playing CVs must be making it up then?

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,839
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,607 posts
1 minute ago, Lt_Newcastle said:

Wait a minute. How can this be? We've been told repeatedly in this forum by a few select posters that the only people who don't like CVs are a few who post in the forums.

All these people referencing lost karma when playing CVs must be making it up then?

It's interesting how you seem to make everything about CVs. Remember that a universal can be disproved by a single counterexample. I'd say that if you look back at the posts you are referring to you would find that very few, if any, said that only forumers didn't like CVs. Also, it only takes one out of 23 other players in a match to lower a player's Karma.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,638
[SALVO]
Members
4,358 posts
3,781 battles
22 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

When someone asks me how I could justify murdering a poor innocent pheasant and then eating it I ask them how can they justify the murder of the thousands of unborn plant babies that were used to make the bread for their vegan sandwich. Then, I tell them that I've saved thousands more unborn plant babies by killing that murderous grain-eating pheasant too. 

To live is to kill, plain and simple. Even your own cells kill each other if you go hungry. 

Next time you can remember vegans how many "vermins" and "plagues" are killed in order to grow crops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,638
[SALVO]
Members
4,358 posts
3,781 battles
2 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

To live is to kill, plain and simple. Even your own cells kill each other if you go hungry. 

Next time you can remember vegans how many "vermins" and "plagues" are killed in order to grow crops. Of course they might disregard it as collateral damage

Stupid touchscrens, now I have a duplicate useless post... i bet it ll be bad karma

Edited by ArIskandir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,087 posts
564 battles
2 hours ago, Zeus_cat said:

First of all, I don't really care about karma, blah blah....

when someone opens with that, I stop reading, and post that I stopped reading ....there seems to be no sense to read past that if you open with that....
then again who wasted more of their time, him or me...?>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×