Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Mawz77

So, who has Tallinn already

13 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
58 posts
1,227 battles

Just got it, this thing is a beast.

It's basically a Mainz with Donskoi guns and an icebreaker bow, but 4km Soviet torps.. Oh, and better ballistics than Donskoi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,017
[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,542 posts
11,042 battles

ive seen a freaking RIGA in the game, so someone either got stupid lucky, or they threw cash at the problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
58 posts
1,227 battles

I'll admit, I did throw some cash (mostly via buying bagration and running the Challenge)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,366
[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,731 posts
19,740 battles
1 hour ago, Mawz77 said:

I'll admit, I did throw some cash (mostly via buying bagration and running the Challenge)

7 missions for a total of 210 tokens....

You spent some more and got lucky with RU crates.

I know I bought P.B and first 7 of the 500 dub chances AND all the directives of stage 1 that gave out crates....

Still shotvon cammo, let alone the first early release ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
58 posts
1,227 battles
22 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

7 missions for a total of 210 tokens....

You spent some more and got lucky with RU crates.

I know I bought P.B and first 7 of the 500 dub chances AND all the directives of stage 1 that gave out crates....

Still shotvon cammo, let alone the first early release ship.

I only bought a couple more 500 dub chances than you, got lucky on one of the Soviet crates

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,914 posts
5,646 battles

I bought Pyotr Bagration because of the rumblings about it being OP. This will get me 840 tokens, and Mikoyan in week one, which is another 420 tokens. The directives when fully completed are at minimum enough to pay for the investment in Mikoyan, so the bare minimum I'll have at the end is two premium ships and the fully researched and upgraded Tier VIII with a permacamo. Anything else is gravy. That was a reasonable enough value for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,322
[A-I-M]
Members
2,744 posts
12,566 battles
On 5/17/2020 at 3:02 AM, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

I bought Pyotr Bagration because of the rumblings about it being OP. This will get me 840 tokens, and Mikoyan in week one, which is another 420 tokens. The directives when fully completed are at minimum enough to pay for the investment in Mikoyan, so the bare minimum I'll have at the end is two premium ships and the fully researched and upgraded Tier VIII with a permacamo. Anything else is gravy. That was a reasonable enough value for me.

What is your opinion of the Baggravation in the time you’ve had with it?

I got a lucky drop in tokens that got me the Mikoyan, and its bonus tokens will get me the Tallinn camo, with a decent handful of tokens left over. It prompted me to think toward the Bagration, to get both into the Tallin itself, as well as permacamo for Riga.

But, I would like to know if it is a good purchase based on merits of the ship itself.

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,914 posts
5,646 battles
1 minute ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

What is your opinion of the Baggravation in the time you’ve had with it?

I got a lucky drop in tokens that got me the Mikoyan, and its bonus tokens will get me the Tallinn camo, with a decent handful of tokens left over. It prompted me to think toward the Bagration, to get both into the Tallin itself, as well as permacamo for Riga.

But, I would like to know if it is a good purchase based on merits of the ship itself.

I honestly don't have enough experience with it to say. It seems like a fairly safe bet, though, as I have at least determined it's not a total stinker. The AP is real nice. A lot of CCs seem to think it's strong. I'm not really a huge Soviet CL player, most of my Soviet ships are premiums from one thing or another and used for directives requiring Soviet ships or things Soviet ships are good at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,322
[A-I-M]
Members
2,744 posts
12,566 battles
9 hours ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

I honestly don't have enough experience with it to say. It seems like a fairly safe bet, though, as I have at least determined it's not a total stinker. The AP is real nice. A lot of CCs seem to think it's strong. I'm not really a huge Soviet CL player, most of my Soviet ships are premiums from one thing or another and used for directives requiring Soviet ships or things Soviet ships are good at.

Thanks for the feedback!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
601 posts
5,469 battles

I have both Tallinn and Bagration and IMO, the Bagration is way more comfortable to play especially uptiered which at t8 will be often.  Tallinn has serious survivability issues which are only magnified when uptiered; that 25mm plating she is covered with means you get overmatched by every BB in your tier spread save Scharnhorst, Normandie and Lyon.  With the PB, it seems like you suffer mostly overpens instead of eating full pen damage. 

Handling is meh, AA is meh, the HE is meh, the AP is awesome until your target angles a bit.  Doesn't seem to start fires well despite a 15% chance with DE and flags.  Never got more than maybe 4-5 fires in a game, all of which were put out quickly.  Can't abuse island cover; anything it can shoot over doesn't conceal, anything providing concealment she can't shoot over - arcs are much too flat.

Some of my issues with the ship are likely due to teething pains; I am still working out the best way to play her.  TBH I am leaning towards ignoring the radar and playing it more like a Hindy; just hang back and spam HE and pray for fires.  It didn't help that I had at least 1 CV in every game and 2 in several, also being the 'new kid' I was shot at by every red.  Tallinn just seems to take chunk damage from everywhere, and with no heal you have no choice but to play super cautiously.  It also burns like a molotov cocktail.  Even my BBs don't catch fire like Tallinn does.

I dunno.  Granted, only 16 games in but I'm not super impressed with Tallinn.  Expecting to have enough XP to unlock Riga on the first day, hoping for big things.

As always, YMMV... I'm not the best player and as I said, don't have a ton of games in Tallinn just yet so still figuring it out.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
58 posts
1,227 battles

I've spent a bunch of time on both.

Bagration is definitely my choice for hiding behind islands. If you are shooting by poking the nose out, the firepower is basically identical between the two and the Bagration gets heals & 8k torps too.

I found the Tallinn to be better in cruiser & DD fights though, but I prefer Bagration if I've got more than 1-2 BB's in the game. Tallinn's AP is just broken if you get anyone even vaguely sideways and that extra turret means a good shot can be a 1 shot even against T9's if you get lucky on dispersion (and yes, I run an upgrade to improve dispersion on both) and it's got radar too which helps against DD's. Several times I've missed the radar on the Bagration.

Edited by Mawz77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
174
[THOR]
Members
440 posts
5,634 battles

I got it bought no crates but bought premium tier 8 baggage to get extra tokens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
5,160 posts
60 battles
On 5/16/2020 at 8:57 AM, Mawz77 said:

Just got it, this thing is a beast.

It's basically a Mainz with Donskoi guns and an icebreaker bow, but 4km Soviet torps.. Oh, and better ballistics than Donskoi

FYI, Mainz is what Tallinn would have been under a revised Project 83 refit. Initially, they could be a consideration to complete Tallinn with Kirov's turrets. But ultimately, they decided to opt for Chapayev's turrets under Project 83-K after when WWII ended. Just like how they also revised Ognevoy, Chapayev & Kiev.

That goes without saying, it's like Hipper, but better at some aspects. Same Hipper hull, but the overall design looks substantially different after overhaul.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×