You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
celticboy27

Ship Names, Hull Numbers, and PermaCamos

8 comments in this topic

[WHEE]
Members
97 posts
2,509 battles

Hey all - relatively new player here. Question for the community that may turn into a suggestion. 

I’m a big fan of premium ships that have the ship’s hull number and name painted on the design. Seems to be specific to premium ships. Maybe it’s that way to give premiums an added special factor, as I’m seeing it on Mass and Arizona but not on Colorado or NC, for example. 

My question/suggestion - if it hasn’t been suggested already - has WG ever considered adding Hull numbers and ship names to the PermaCamos? For example, I’d pay good dubs for a North Carolina PermaCamo that would add extra realism with a stern name and a pretty 55 on the Hull. Call me petty, just a sucker for historical realism. 

Has this ever been suggested, or @Hapa_Fodder, has this ever been tossed around at WeeGee?

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,936 posts
11,607 battles

i think this is a great idea, but i think the reason they dont do that with tech tree ships is because the tech tree ships are representive of the ship class as a whole, like how the Lexington's final hull is actually the Saratoga, and Kongo's is actually the Hiei, and, iirc,  Iowas hulls are of Iowa for A Hull, B Hull, i believe, is Wisconsin, and C Hull is Missouri

Edited by tcbaker777
  • Cool 1

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,756 posts
11,773 battles
31 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

i think this is a great idea, but i think the reason they dont do that with tech tree ships is because the tech tree ships are representive of the ship class as a whole, like how the Lexington's final hull is actually the Saratoga, and Kongo's is actually the Hiei, and, iirc,  Iowas hulls are of Iowa for A Hull, B Hull, i believe, is Wisconsin, and C Hull is Missouri

This isn't true. If you look at navsource.org, none of the Iowa Hulls match their historical counterparts. 

In addition, ducing from New Orleans, Flint, Atlanta and New Mexico, permanent camos usually reflect a historic camo type used by that nation; but not by that ship.

Irl, Atlanta is supposed to have a permanent camo like Fletcher, and Flint's should either be the USS Kidd's or the Atlanta's current camo.

[CUTE]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,042 posts
11,191 battles
2 hours ago, celticboy27 said:

Hey all - relatively new player here. Question for the community that may turn into a suggestion. 

I’m a big fan of premium ships that have the ship’s hull number and name painted on the design. Seems to be specific to premium ships. Maybe it’s that way to give premiums an added special factor, as I’m seeing it on Mass and Arizona but not on Colorado or NC, for example. 

My question/suggestion - if it hasn’t been suggested already - has WG ever considered adding Hull numbers and ship names to the PermaCamos? For example, I’d pay good dubs for a North Carolina PermaCamo that would add extra realism with a stern name and a pretty 55 on the Hull. Call me petty, just a sucker for historical realism. 

Has this ever been suggested, or @Hapa_Fodder, has this ever been tossed around at WeeGee?

I know its been posted here on the forums every now and again, I like the idea its a way for people to get the ship they want without it having to be a prem ships. 

US DDs, and cruisers that could really use this since so many of them were built.... looking at you Fletcher and your 174 sisters.

• Cool 1

[CUTE]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,042 posts
11,191 battles
54 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

This isn't true. If you look at navsource.org, none of the Iowa Hulls match their historical counterparts. 

In addition, ducing from New Orleans, Flint, Atlanta and New Mexico, permanent camos usually reflect a historic camo type used by that nation; but not by that ship.

Irl, Atlanta is supposed to have a permanent camo like Fletcher, and Flint's should either be the USS Kidd's or the Atlanta's current camo.

Iowa in 44

Iowa_steaming_crusing_Measure_32_1B_anti-aircraft_battery_1944.thumb.jpg.126b6310fc592ec6dec6e8ad23f11290.jpg

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,936 posts
11,607 battles
1 hour ago, Crokodone said:

hmm, that must have been for a camo skin mod for Iowa i was thinking of, but i do know that people have said that the final hulls of Lexington and Kongo are Saratoga and Hiei respectively 

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,756 posts
11,773 battles
11 hours ago, Shigure_DD said:

Iowa in 44

Iowa_steaming_crusing_Measure_32_1B_anti-aircraft_battery_1944.thumb.jpg.126b6310fc592ec6dec6e8ad23f11290.jpg

Iowa when launched and in 44 had orlikan emplacements on her B turret and bow, with the quad bofor tubs on her bow.

Iowa in game carries none of those configurations and hasn't in the game's history.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/61a.htm

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,756 posts
11,773 battles
11 hours ago, tcbaker777 said:

hmm, that must have been for a camo skin mod for Iowa i was thinking of, but i do know that people have said that the final hulls of Lexington and Kongo are Saratoga and Hiei respectively 

I don't know enough about Japanese naval history to verify that.

But the Lexington argument is plausible since lex didn't get the 5/38 turret battery and Saratoga did.