You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
S7CentNickel

Gearing - What load out?

11 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
331 posts

Just purchased the Gearing.  What load out is everyone running now?  Similar to the Fletcher?

Supertester
65 posts
10,302 battles

Gearing is a hybrid boat, so she should do well with either gunboat spec (like above), or a traditional torpedoboat. Whichever is more comfortable to you should be what you run, although I will mention that gunboat Gearing is quite difficult to work with without either AFT or Range mod on the 3 mil slot, due to her short base gun range.

• Cool 1

[GOB]
Members
2,056 posts

Think hard before killing yourself grinding for the UU.   The trade off for the additional conceal was just not worth it for me.  When I finnaly gave up on it after 100s of games I started to win knife fights again.   I don't go looking for them but with the new dd hunters you get into them far more often and you need that reload IMHO.

Members
270 posts
5,091 battles

I would say go torp build all the way with the long range torps. I've got my reload down to 88.7s with a full torp build.

With as much radar and planes as there are, the long range torps are surprisingly consistent. I find I am able to get better damage sending them at about 13km or so and I'm able to stay alive longer without having to get so close.

I don't think Gearing makes a good gunboat on account of the low shell velocity and the fact that Gearing is way too fat (not to mention the hull model sits too high in the water) to be dodging shells consistently.

Other DDs have faster firing guns and gimmicks like heals and faster shell velocity. Gearing is better when you can park her in smoke or just open water torp boat. I haven't had luck going a full gun build on her on account of her slow shells and low-ish range.

Hope it helps!

Edited by FullMetal_Inferno
Grammar

[RLGN]
Members
14,302 posts
25,209 battles
1 hour ago, WilliamTheDank said:

Gearing is a hybrid boat, so she should do well with either gunboat spec (like above), or a traditional torpedoboat. Whichever is more comfortable to you should be what you run, although I will mention that gunboat Gearing is quite difficult to work with without either AFT or Range mod on the 3 mil slot, due to her short base gun range.

This?

My Gearing and Grozovoi are both set up as RPF/DFAA support boats.

I don’t go looking for trouble, because it usually comes to me anyway.

Don’t think I took AFT on either, because of the gun bloom. If I did, it was only because the person who suggested the build recommended it.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles
1 hour ago, WilliamTheDank said:

IMO even if you build Gearing as a gunboat, you're not seeking to fulfill the same role of open-water artillery as Russian DDs (due to high shell arcs, slow top speed, and high profile) so AFT and range mod seem unnecessary. I remember that in the days where radar wasn't as prevalent gunboat Gearing was very effective for shelling from closer ranges using smoke or terrain, and contesting caps. Now both of the roles seem kinda difficult to fulfill (the former due to too much radar and the latter due to the introduction of ships with better DPM and HP) in most battles, so I've been trying a torpedo focused build. Overall thoughts are that gunboat Gearing is much harder to play effectively than torpedoboat Gearing. 

Edited by Aduial

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,636 posts
2 hours ago, S7CentNickel said:

Just purchased the Gearing.  What load out is everyone running now?  Similar to the Fletcher?

The Gearing is not as nimble as the Fletcher but it is tanker and has a higher gun DPM plus the option of running 16.5 km torps. I'd highly receommend the longer-range torps as you can use them while staying out of radar range, though the 10.5 km torps hit harder.

Definitely take Survivability Expert, Last Stand, and Adrenaline Rush, as well as Concealment Expert. I use Preventative Maintenance but most take Priority Target at level one.

The rest of the skills depend on how you want to play your ship. You can increase your gun firepower, decrease torpedo reload time, use the radio location finder to see if other ships are in front of you when you go to cap, or produce bigger smoke screens for yourself and the team.

Here is my long-range "gunboat" build.

image.thumb.png.4e3e1dbefa2dd39c86aea5b36879f663.png

Here is my RPF gunboat build.

image.thumb.png.30956066bf86b7510e05de2602563e0d.png

Here is my torpedo build (still leveling this commander up).

image.thumb.png.313711731e815d9c63ba1afa5f6fbcb0.png

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,636 posts
1 hour ago, Col_Nasty said:

Think hard before killing yourself grinding for the UU.   The trade off for the additional conceal was just not worth it for me.  When I finnaly gave up on it after 100s of games I started to win knife fights again.   I don't go looking for them but with the new dd hunters you get into them far more often and you need that reload IMHO.

I ran the UU for quite some time but after the advent of the new gunboat DDs took it off because you really notice that 15% drop in reload time when in a gunfight with another DD.

[HOT]
Members
258 posts
6,985 battles

my gearing is spec into support, torps and steath. so i oped for larger smoke and torp spam

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,914 posts
11,593 battles

really depends, do you want the damage of the Fletcher torps, or the long range but slightly less damage and longer reload of the others? either way, Gearing is a good hybrid