You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

How Long Until 1,000 Meter Warships?

28 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles

The Size Comparison vid for WOWs Warships was impressive and a bit mind blowing how massive the ships are getting. So how long do you think it will be until we are measuring our warships in kilometers instead of just meters? And do you think it will be a CA or BB that is released at 1 kilometer in length? ( You know Wargaming has likely considered it, and honestly I am utterly shocked none of their paper RU BBs ended up that sized. Based on Russian culture of making their vehicles so large.)

And with WG expanding to 20” armed BBs that are the successive designs to ships like Yamato, it has crossed my mind just how big will the warships get!? 

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,630 posts

He is very old, and very kind, and the very last of his kind.

World of Space Whales!

a8fb3f54b56265be27af63b48fc73854dd5e5a57

• Funny 3
  • Boring 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,520 posts
26 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

The Size Comparison vid for WOWs Warships was impressive and a bit mind blowing how massive the ships are getting. So how long do you think it will be until we are measuring our warships in kilometers instead of just meters? And do you think it will be a CA or BB that is released at 1 kilometer in length? ( You know Wargaming has likely considered it, and honestly I am utterly shocked none of their paper RU BBs ended up that sized. Based on Russian culture of making their vehicles so large.)

And with WG expanding to 20” armed BBs that are the successive designs to ships like Yamato, it has crossed my mind just how big will the warships get!? 

Err, 1000 meters is over 3000 feet long.  The Midway was a bit over 960 feet long. 

You are talking about something 3 times the size of a T10 CV. 

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
7 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Err, 1000 meters is over 3000 feet long.  The Midway was less than 1000 feet long. 

You are talking about something 3 times the size of a T10 CV.

Yeah and look how we are now exceeding 300 meters on a few Warships.  Next we will probably see some 400 meter ships and then when will the size inflation stop?

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,630 posts

If the US and Britain had not been able to close the mid-Atlantic gap with long-range bombers, there was an actual plan to create a carrier out of pyekrete (sawdust-impregnated ice) called Project Habakkuk. Said super-carrier would have been 2000 feet long, capable of holding up to 200 aircraft, and invulnerable to sinking.  WG could put one of these in WOWS, then the anti-CV crowd really would have something to complain about.

800px-Habakukk_aircraft_01.jpg

[A-D-F]
7,520 posts
7 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah and look how we are now exceeding 300 meters on a few Warships.  Next we will probably see some 400 meter ships and then when will the size inflation stop?

The longest ship ever built, a modern ship, was the Seawise Giant, Supertanker.  It was less half your proposed length and had a turn radius of 2 miles.

Something 1000 meters long would need most of the map just to turn around. 

Members
1,225 posts
5,930 battles

The only ship I could see that size would be a T10 Russian CV. 

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

The longest ship ever built, a modern ship, was the Seawise Giant, Supertanker.  It was half your proposed length and had a turn radius of 2 miles.

Something 1000 meters long would need most of the map just to turn around.

Very true, it would be like some of the current largest warships in the game that stay out of small areas because of their size and turning radius. And I am not so much proposing the idea as a good one as much as wondering if WG will ever get the idea to do it since the larger the warship the higher the price they can charge it seems.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,629 posts
4,997 battles
39 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Where are you getting size creep from?  The longest ship in the game, IIRC, is Midway, which was introduced in alpha?

[A-D-F]
7,520 posts
3 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

Where are you getting size creep from?  The longest ship in the game, IIRC, is Midway, which was introduced in alpha?

The GK is longer by just a bit if I recall.  It's still the longest that I know of though.  The new big gun Yammy sister is the same hull, just bigger guns.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,630 posts
4 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

This isnt world of star wars ships . . . Yet.

LOL, I just did a search for "starships," guess what popped up first on the list?

maxresdefault.jpg

I guess the Star Trek generation is officially dead.

• Funny 2

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,042 posts
12,725 battles

Doubt they could get much larger without having map restrictions.

Dang, Open Ocean again! Who's the idiot that keeps queing up in the Habakkuk.

• Funny 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
19 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

The fact Super Cruisers are larger than super BBs like Yamato. And actually Kurfurst is longer than Midway.

[SALVO]
Members
4,408 posts
3,819 battles
37 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

If the US and Britain had not been able to close the mid-Atlantic gap with long-range bombers, there was an actual plan to create a carrier out of pyekrete (sawdust-impregnated ice) called Project Habakkuk. Said super-carrier would have been 2000 feet long, capable of holding up to 200 aircraft, and invulnerable to sinking.  WG could put one of these in WOWS, then the anti-CV crowd really would have something to complain about.

So, what was the proyected lifespan before it melted? Human imagination is really amazing!

5 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

LOL, I just did a search for "starships," guess what popped up first on the list?

maxresdefault.jpg

I guess the Star Trek generation is officially dead.

I've just been "age slapped" ... who dfq is she and how is she related to starships?

Members
404 posts
3,852 battles
5 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

I've just been "age slapped" ... who dfq is she and how is she related to starships?

No idea, but I can think of two very big reasons why she probably tops the list.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,630 posts
39 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

So, what was the proyected lifespan before it melted? Human imagination is really amazing!

If stationed in the North Sea the ship would have lasted for years because the surrounding water would have been close to the freezing point of ice.

Well, all I really know about her is that she is really popular with the kids and someone did this hilarious parody of one of her songs.

Spoiler

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Funny 1

Beta Testers
694 posts
3,697 battles
2 hours ago, MichiganEagle said:

No idea, but I can think of two very big reasons why she probably tops the list.

Torpedo boat indeed

• Funny 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
45 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

About 680 more meters. :Smile_sceptic:

D751FE8A-C5E3-48B0-BCF9-53D927780236.gif.dc03152d844193f47efffed4aa7f2675.gif

68065E4B-721F-4F27-8ADB-E22462971069.jpeg.83de454cb0896c4a730db25b6a5c3705.jpeg

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,968 posts
14,921 battles

image.thumb.png.b6da2f1c789a0c055f208620f77dcb35.png

I think was in 2018 or 2017 video

• Funny 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,629 posts
4,997 battles
4 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

The fact Super Cruisers are larger than super BBs like Yamato. And actually Kurfurst is longer than Midway.

Longer does not equal larger.  BBs are much denser ships than any other kind of ship due to thick armor and big guns.  Cruisers also tend to be built with finer lines to make them more efficient so they can, well, cruise.

[ISLA]
Beta Testers
644 posts
12,068 battles
6 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

how about. iceberg carrier 0.6km

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Habakkuk