Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Airglide2

Just curious, but did Moskva ever have 27mm of bow/aft armor?

6 comments in this topic

Members
1,070 posts
11,663 battles

Try as I might with thing, my ride with it so far has been pretty rough.  I completely understand, the steps you take to get decent/good results in her.  However, seeing how difficult it is to put myself in those positions, I often find 25mm of bow/aft armor just a pain to work with when spotted, especially with 14-16km of detection radius.  Which raises my simple question, “Did this thing ever have 27mm at one point?  Because I could really use that right about now!” :Smile_veryhappy:  I can also see I’m not alone with the trouble, with the increase in “How to play Moskva” posts on Reddit recently.

Maybe they’ll implement it after the switchover, idk.  I’d be nice.

Edited by Airglide2

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles

Not sure, but I remember it bouncing my Yamato AP shells in Clan Battle and I have a reputation of knowing how to use my guns all too well.

But the side armor has always been brutally weak on Mokska as well as many other Russian ships. Which is likely why you might be struggling.  You get even a Gearing close range along your side armor using AP shells and it will be taking citadels out of your armor.

[SYN]
Members
15,862 posts
12,803 battles

No.

It started off with 50mm midsection, midsection deck and 25mm extremities.

Then it got nose punched too often and got a 50mm icebreaker bow.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles
1 minute ago, MrDeaf said:

No.

It started off with 50mm midsection, midsection deck and 25mm extremities.

Then it got nose punched too often and got a 50mm icebreaker bow.

^^^

This.  The icebreaker was an add-on that lots of people were saying, "Did it REALLY need that?"

[HSD]
Members
704 posts
12,392 battles

Keep the range open as best you can, the closer you get the easier that 25mm section is to hit, distance means more dispersion which means less ability for ships to accurately aim for the soft upper bow.

Use islands to block angles so you are only engaging 1-2 ships actively at a time, if a flank has 5 odd enemy ships try to make sure that only a few can get clear angles on you so you don't get overwhelmed.

In conjunction with the above 2, if you can go dark as soon as you start to feel like it is getting out of hand, difficult I know with the Moskva but with range and good island positioning you can go dark. Go dark, the enemy will start looking for new targets, watch and wait for moments when red ships have re-positioned to allow you to either safely move or open up again.

Angle towards the biggest threat, you want them to take that chance at the broadside rather than try for the upper bow armour. A good angle for example would be just having your rear gun being unable to fire, a couple more degrees and it could but that starts to risk your side if you misjudge. If you are in motion you can swing he rear turret out when you know the big AP threat is reloading, but be very mindful of all threats.

12km radar can be a trap, sometimes it doesn't serve to be in range to radar an area in the opening moments of the game, at this stage everyone is the freshest and most willing to engage. Too far forward too early and you may eat too much damage forcing you to be very passive for the rest of the game.

This last point is probably contentious but I have seen it a bit and I think it has merit in the correct circumstances. Approach the battle stern first, the Moskva can very easily be destroyed by making the infamous turn of doom, and with it's huge detection range sometimes you can't go dark at all. Forcing a slow death by bow in reversing or a quick death by turn. If you are in a position that you think your allies will start to abandon and letting the enemy start pushing aggressively going stern in means you don't need to turn and you are already positioned for kiting. It is important to note however the stern is not as strong as the bow, so keep that in mind.

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,127 posts
7,992 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

This.  The icebreaker was an add-on that lots of people were saying, "Did it REALLY need that?"

I think it definitely needed something.  Around the same same time WG had went through and rebalanced a bunch of Tier X cruisers.  The Des Moines had recently gotten a reload buff and 30mm deck armor, the Zao got 12km torps, the Henri of course got MBRB and on the other end of the spectrum the Hindenburg had its reload nerfed (which in hindsight wasn't really needed).

With (at the time) worse concealment than every battleship and aircraft carrier it could fight, battleship handling, and a massive citadel...coupled with fairly lackluster DPM....giving it the ice breaker bow was actually a very fitting buff for the Moskva and helped cement its niche as tanky cruiser. 

Sign in to follow this