You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review #145 - Ochakov

41 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,117 posts
18,957 battles

7DESAzS.gif

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 1

[MOOW]
[MOOW]
Members
622 posts
23,334 battles

At least it does not have those mean little pepper shaker turrets that caused many  to get ptsd on the recieving end..

Edited by Grapefruitcannon

[STAFF]
[STAFF]
Members
69 posts
4,150 battles
1 minute ago, Grapefruitcannon said:

At least it does not have those mean little pepper shaker turrets that caused many  ptsd..

Also no smoke, which is ... better.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,061 posts
14,295 battles
17 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I'm not really a fan of trying to prop up weaknesses -- I'd rather build for strengths, but your own mileage may vary.

Speaking of which, they sold us Ovenchickens in the last patch and then offered us this thing, and I can't help but wonder if the two aren't connected. Boosted Expert Marksman might not add much, but that Survivability Expert expansion is going to make him look good on this ship. I'd almost say "try an Ovenchicken who's set up for Russian gunboat DD", but BFT and AFT are wasted on 152mm guns and you will want Concealment Expert; a meme gun DD build won't be optimal unless your near-exclusive use case is in co-op and you are divving with a CV buddy to try to boost your plane kill chances. But as a co-op enthusiast who already has Smolensk, what this ship offers doesn't excite me at all. I'd rather have the smoke and heal, and do without the radar.

I'd probably find a way to use her if I won her on a stream or in a contest of some sort, but I can't see myself opening my wallet for her.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 2

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,117 posts
18,957 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I'd probably find a way to use her if I won her on a stream or in a contest of some sort, but I can't see myself opening my wallet for her.

That's about where I am too. Plus the fact that between Kutuzov, Irian and Mainz I'm not lacking for T8 CL prems.

[SYN]
Members
15,860 posts
12,803 battles

This must be the one ship they had to really neuter to balance out the other OP soviet ships in the game.

• Funny 2
  • Boring 3

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,063 posts
42 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

The alternate palette for her default camo looks sexy as all get out.  That's the back and white one.  It reminds me of a killer whale.

agree it is smexy :Smile_Default:

[ARGSY]
Members
20,061 posts
14,295 battles
5 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

This must be the one ship they had to really neuter to balance out the other OP soviet ships in the game.

No, wait; isn't that the job of the Krasny Krym and the Varyag? :Smile_veryhappy:

[SYN]
Members
15,860 posts
12,803 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

No, wait; isn't that the job of the Krasny Krym and the Varyag? :Smile_veryhappy:

Varyag is an abomination, but KK scales well with a 19pt captain, thanks to an icebreaker bow and 130mm guns.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,033 posts
10,089 battles
11 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

I dunno, I find her to be right on the cusp of greatness.  There's not a lot that could be done to improve her that wouldn't immediately tip her over into the "too good" side of things.  I'm happier with her being on this side of the fence than that of the Soviet-bias end of the spectrum.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse

[ARGSY]
Members
20,061 posts
14,295 battles
1 minute ago, MrDeaf said:

Varyag is an abomination,

I was very proud of the Varyag when I got her, because she was only the second premium ship I had won in an in-game event. It also meant I could go to the 130mm gun fit for the Bogatyr and still have a six inch-gunned Russian protected cruiser at that tier. Varyag was also my introduction to the art of captain retraining, so she will always hold a place in my heart even if the Tier-5-plusness of events means I hardly ever sail her any more.

6 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

KK scales well with a 19pt captain, thanks to an icebreaker bow and 130mm guns.

The captain who started in my Minsk and moved semi-permanently to the Smolensk after I got her was set up with BFT and AFT. He was my 10 point Russian from my first pass through the Scenarios, and ironically enough, HIS first ship was the Svietlana! :Smile_veryhappy:  I respecced that captain in a different direction when the IFHE changes went down because I wanted other things from him, but I since obtained the binational Ovechkins, and one of them will eventually be set up similar to how the Minsk/Smolensk 19 pointer used to be - PT LS BFT AFT for the first ten, then CE AR SI for the rest. If we get free captain retraining at any stage, I will probably move him into the Kiev so that he has a tech-tree home as well as his premium rides.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,034 posts
23,838 battles

When the update went live I remember scoping this ship's stats out.  Interesting in how many highly polarizing strengths and weaknesses she has.  Nasty potential but totally unforgiving.

[LWA]
Members
1,125 posts

Radar, DFA, and hydro?   hmmm....that might come in handy.

Sounds like this ship is specialized to hunt destroyers

Edited by db4100

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,424 posts

I find it best to just follow around a smoke DD - unless you shoot you aren't going to give up the DD, and smoke is always nice to borrow.

[SIM]
Members
4,928 posts
8,005 battles

Thanks for the review, Mouse. This mostly lines up with my experience with Ochakov. Unsurprisingly, Ochakov is much stronger in a division, where you can rely on multiple ships to react to what she spots with her radar. This is particularly true when running around with DDs that are going after capture points.

I haven’t had luck island-humping in this ship. Once the gunfights start with capital ships I prefer to hang back at 12-14km, shoot ships that are paying attention to something else, and withdraw/go dark when they start targeting me. Like the review says, knowing when to unmask the guns is incredibly important.

• Cool 2

[KSE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,732 posts
17,330 battles

Nice review as always LWM!

Looking forward to your Bagration review, I picked it up last nightbecause I had 14k doubloons sitting in my port and felt the need to spend some.  Early results over the first 3 battles were very positive in terms of staying power and damage output.

Members
814 posts
5,676 battles
3 hours ago, BiggieD61 said:

Nice review as always LWM!

Looking forward to your Bagration review, I picked it up last nightbecause I had 14k doubloons sitting in my port and felt the need to spend some.  Early results over the first 3 battles were very positive in terms of staying power and damage output.

The Bagration is stupidly OP. Love it! 

[PMWC1]
Members
169 posts
5,318 battles

Great review!

So IFHE or not?  I see it’s typically recommended for 152s but I’ve watched a few streamers go without it today.

I have Ovechkin on Smolensk but I’m tempted to respec him for Ochakov.

Edited by DM31

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,033 posts
10,089 battles
1 hour ago, DM31 said:

Great review!

So IFHE or not?  I see it’s typically recommended for 152s but I’ve watched a few streamers go without it today.

I have Ovechkin on Smolensk but I’m tempted to respec him for Ochakov.

I've played it both ways.  It's really up to you.  I haven't played it enough without to be able to say with absolute certainty which is best. 

• Cool 1

[D-G-F]
Members
4 posts
2,368 battles

Thanks @LittleWhiteMouse for another awesomely thorough review. Just got the Ochakov and really like the play-style although, like you said, it's very squishy, lol.  Being sneaky, shooting at targets, maneuvering, and then going dark is quite fun for me. Aircraft carriers are definitely going to come for this ship once they are familiar with it 'though so, you have to make AA a top priority. You wont be sneaking up on anyone if the planes have you spotted. ;-)

Edited by jeepkeys