You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Carriers in coop in 0.9.4 - a POSITIVE double-whammy?

10 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,340 battles

Fact #1: The frustration caused by the Mercy Rule is, if not over, at the very least grossly diluted. Battles are going on for longer, carriers can cycle more flights and get more damage in (especially as damage over time), and earnings rise as a result. 

Fact #2: CV service costs were nerfed (in the good way) when paid premium consumables were withdrawn.

These two facts added up to some pretty enjoyable battles last night, in which I came home with the credit balance more in the black than I have typically seen before. Once this Jerzy Swirksi thing is over and I can get into my CVs more often, I think I'm really going to enjoy this. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 4

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,340 battles
1 minute ago, ItsSubmersible said:

the Big E

*Jealousy intensifies.*

(If I'd had even 24 hours warning that she was going to be pulled, I would have bought her.)

• Cool 1

[DBRIS]
Members
630 posts
11,160 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

*Jealousy intensifies.*

(If I'd had even 24 hours warning that she was going to be pulled, I would have bought her.)

Pure luck, it dropped in an xmas crate when I 1st started playing. I just never play it much cause T8 cv is not something I am great at!

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,340 battles
1 minute ago, ItsSubmersible said:

Pure luck, it dropped in an xmas crate when I 1st started playing. I just never play it much cause T8 cv is not something I am great at!

Then co-op is definitely the place to go.

• Cool 1

Members
326 posts
13,896 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

*Jealousy intensifies.*

I got mine sometime; not sure if it was purchased or a gift box.  But probably bought as she is the Big E of WW2 fame.  Always admired that ship (which she had been saved as a  museum, but oh well; I have seen Lady Lex in Corpus Christi, and I was impressed).  I have not started learning CVs yet (but have probably 6+ in port from Christmas crates and starting the IJN and USN lines way back when), but it is on my "to do" list for sometime in the future.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

i was wondering how well cv's work in coop... even in t8 bb's i can have matches i lose credits... wondered how a cv would have time to make anything at all

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,340 battles
59 minutes ago, SKurj said:

i was wondering how well cv's work in coop... even in t8 bb's i can have matches i lose credits... wondered how a cv would have time to make anything at all

Before yesterday, I would have said it was a losing proposition for anything except premiums. Co-op for carriers was a place to farm spotting ribbons and have some shooty fun while doing it, or to learn your CV's aircraft handling and weapon release pattern in the context of a live, multi-ship scenario with combatants on both sides, and at least put some XP on the hull in the process (which won't happen in the training room). 

After last night, I'm a lot more positive. With all or almost all the bots routinely coming off the board before the battle ends, you can get enough attack cycles in to start stacking floods and fires and/or stand a greater chance of taking some ships off the board. I perceive a greater utility for CV in co-op to farm torpedo hits, fires and - for those CVs with AP bombers - citadels.

In fact the Japanese carriers are the only tech tree CVs that can do all three, using rocket planes for the fires, dive bombers for the citadels and torpedo bombers for torp hit and flood ribbons. No other nation currently in the CV game has AP bombers in its tech tree, and IIRC the German tech tree CVs, when they arrive, will have AP rockets (that cannot start fires) and AP bombs with their torpedoes (but WIP, so you never know what might happen).

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

i'll have to give it a go I have hosho and Ryujo.  I don't consider myself a good cv player, and I do find the class abit "busy" to play, but coop might add some life to them for me.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,340 battles
Just now, SKurj said:

i'll have to give it a go I have hosho and Ryujo.  I don't consider myself a good cv player, and I do find the class a bit "busy" to play, but coop might add some life to them for me.

Results are performance-dependent, of course, but you have the carriers so you might as well give it a crack. I'm no CV unicum either.