You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Adder007USA

BBs suddenly afraid of scratching their paint

117 comments in this topic

[AAG]
Beta Testers
77 posts
3,268 battles

Just returned to the game after about a year long hiatus....and I gotta ask, what's the deal with most BBs now being afraid to join the battle?

I know.  I know.  Tactically, it's good to only have to turn your guns to one side because of the slow traverse, and being surrounded can be a death sentence.  It didn't use to be this bad though.  50% of the time, whenever epicenter is the battle mode, I get BBs complaining that it should be taken out of the game. 

Almost every game goes the same now;  First the DDs duke it out, then depending on if there's CVs present, whichever side loses its DDs first loses line of sight and then in the last 5 min of the game, it's a drawn out snipe-fest, where BBs that have been hiding behind islands the entire time FINALLY come out to try and shoot each other.

Did something change in the last year?

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 2

Members
85 posts
21 battles

Well, HE spam has only gotten worse, not better. You were away for a year, so you might have missed Smolensk being added to the game... and that is a ship which can stop a push dead just from the psychological impact of that many shells.

• Cool 9
  • Boring 4

[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,346 posts
12,409 battles

Been that way since the game was released as far as I can tell. Pretty much every match you will see several BBs only engage from max range and just go to one flank which allows them to only engage just a small portion of the map.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Members
3,759 posts
23,331 battles

Too many bad players sitting in BBs and hiding in back is their safety net. They would do much more if they pushed up to 12-15 km of the fight instead of sitting 20+ km back.

• Cool 4
  • Confused 2
  • Boring 3

[KRAK]
Members
3,715 posts
21,733 battles
23 minutes ago, Adder007USA said:

Just returned to the game after about a year long hiatus....and I gotta ask, what's the deal with most BBs now being afraid to join the battle?

I know.  I know.  Tactically, it's good to only have to turn your guns to one side because of the slow traverse, and being surrounded can be a death sentence.  It didn't use to be this bad though.  50% of the time, whenever epicenter is the battle mode, I get BBs complaining that it should be taken out of the game. 

Almost every game goes the same now;  First the DDs duke it out, then depending on if there's CVs present, whichever side loses its DDs first loses line of sight and then in the last 5 min of the game, it's a drawn out snipe-fest, where BBs that have been hiding behind islands the entire time FINALLY come out to try and shoot each other.

When was the game ever played any differently? BB has played this way since the beginning.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,192 posts
16,909 battles

Sure the Smolensk is bad but you also have the Worchester, Colbert, Bayard, HE spamming DD gunboats, plus ships like the Conqueror and Thunderer, all burning down battleships as fast as they are spotted. That's not to mention old reliables like the Zao and Moskva. As a BB main I don't push in right away, or I'm dead right away. I have to stay at range in the beginning or I'm sunk and a sunk ship isn't helping anyone except the other team. 

15 GIFs For When Your Life is a Mess but You're Pretending It's ...

It really isn't regardless of what WG's stats supposedly claim. 

• Cool 6

[AAG]
Beta Testers
77 posts
3,268 battles
1 minute ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

Too many bad players sitting in BBs and hiding in back is their safety net. They would do much more if they pushed up to 12-15 km of the fight instead of sitting 20+ km back.

This USED to happen at least semi-frequently.  Now I see it maybe 1 out of every 10 battles.  

[WORX]
Members
10,694 posts
18,577 battles
23 minutes ago, Adder007USA said:

Power Creep... Mainly

• Planes
  • AP
  • Fire
  • SAP

Big Nerfs to...

• HE pens
  • 157mm and below guns
  • Torps
  • AA

It is what it is in a nutshell.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 3

[USCC2]
Members
6,060 posts

Now? Suddenly?

The fact is there are plenty that play BBs to their strength, and to negatively label any players of a particular ship type would be wrong.

Unfortunately within each type you also have players who do not play well, and in this particular case, these players will always have some reason not to move forward. You could have no one on the other side of the map and they would stay back.....just in case. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Members
469 posts
4,399 battles

odds are becouse playing agresive will oftenly end in one or a mix of 3 scenarios

1:  being stealth torped by 1 or many DDs 

2:HE spam from behind smoke/island will give you a viking funeral and there isnt much the BB can do 

3: get sniped from the other side of the map becouse WG thought it was a good idea to give ships so much range

problem here is that firepower is way stronger than defence and to be fair BBs still have enought accuracy to hit things from long range, This olso apply to all ships, DDs do get closer but becouse their concealment aloud its, the moment they are spoted they run for their life, cruisers wont be leading a charge either unless they want a quick death or the flank is completly overun.

• Cool 2

[--O--]
Members
931 posts

4+ years on the game and it hasn't changed! You just are forgetful or cast your bait out in hopes of hooking a BIG FISH. 

[WOLFB]
Members
3,144 posts
7,193 battles
1 hour ago, Rothgar_57 said:

Only going to get worse with Subs.

I agree Subs are going to make this much more common. 

Once way to help this would to make Secondaries guns actually matter. 

• Cool 2

[FML]
Members
3,942 posts
15,503 battles
1 hour ago, Adder007USA said:

Just quietly, there is nothing new about this. 

Since the game started, there have always been battleship players who think that because their main battery has a 26km range, they must be 26km away from their nearest enemy - accuracy be damned.  

[PHD]
Members
161 posts
10,214 battles

Gotta choose carefully when you push in when in any ship really. Most games that go down to the wire have teams that poke away at each other for 10 minutes until a flank gets an advantage over the opposition then pushes.  Teams that push early often die fast, I see it a lot, you might lose 3 caps right away, but the cappers get caught by radar and sunk, leaving that team often 3 or 4 ships down at the start of the game. That's pretty much game over.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,898 posts
17,945 battles
1 hour ago, Adder007USA said:

LOL...I scratch paint all the time...

T8 in T10?  Does not matter...I'm often all in, but not in a reckless way...(well, usually not reckless):

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Boring 1

[--V--]
Members
1,425 posts
13,611 battles

Its nothing new.  But due to the HUGE increase in HE Flameslingers, BBs can't move forward without risk of being burned to the ground by CLs hiding behind islands.

And here's the fun part.  The hypocrisy on this forum regarding this is hilarious.

1. BB's don't move forward.   Forum [edited] call them say they're unable to deal with Flameslingers.  Told to 'Git Gud'.  Learn to play.  Total disrespect.

2. BB's move forward and get focused by 2 HE Flameslingers firing from behind islands.  BB can't defend themselves and due to slow speed/maneuverability, can't run away quickly and lose 1/2 or more of their HP.  Forum [edited] tell them they over extended, shouldn't have pushed forward, 'Git Gud', Learn to play.  Total disrespect.

Its just the way it is.  Each BB driver has to make their own decision on how to play.  I prefer to move closer to the action and brawl in most BBs.  However, if I'm in Yammy, Musashi or a few other very long range BBs,,,,,, I'll sit back and enjoy sniping for a while before moving close.   My 2 cents.

Cheers!!

• Cool 3

Members
1,624 posts
1 hour ago, SeaborneSumo said:

Its nothing new.  But due to the HUGE increase in HE Flameslingers, BBs can't move forward without risk of being burned to the ground by CLs hiding behind islands.

And here's the fun part.  The hypocrisy on this forum regarding this is hilarious.

1. BB's don't move forward.   Forum [edited] call them say they're unable to deal with Flameslingers.  Told to 'Git Gud'.  Learn to play.  Total disrespect.

2. BB's move forward and get focused by 2 HE Flameslingers firing from behind islands.  BB can't defend themselves and due to slow speed/maneuverability, can't run away quickly and lose 1/2 or more of their HP.  Forum [edited] tell them they over extended, shouldn't have pushed forward, 'Git Gud', Learn to play.  Total disrespect.

Its just the way it is.  Each BB driver has to make their own decision on how to play.  I prefer to move closer to the action and brawl in most BBs.  However, if I'm in Yammy, Musashi or a few other very long range BBs,,,,,, I'll sit back and enjoy sniping for a while before moving close.   My 2 cents.

Cheers!!

guess why the BB become totally obsolete? They played a secondary role in the Naval War in the Pacific, USN side more irrelevant than IJN side, and (almost) totally disappeared during the Cold War with very few exceptions. You should be thankful that WG has so high (commercial) interest in preserving BB unique privileges...their high caliber shell accuracy is totally off, should be adjusted, time is overdue!

• Boring 4

[--V--]
Members
1,425 posts
13,611 battles
8 minutes ago, loco_max said:

guess why the BB become totally obsolete? They played a secondary role in the Naval War in the Pacific, USN side more irrelevant than IJN side, and (almost) totally disappeared during the Cold War with very few exceptions. You should be thankful that WG has so high (commercial) interest in preserving BB unique privileges...their high caliber shell accuracy is totally off, should me adjusted, time is overdue!

Actually, IJN BBs were completely irrelevant compared to USN BBs.   USN BBs served as AA platforms with CVs and had major role in shore bombardments for multiple island invasions.    In comparison, IJN BBs had minor role in Guadalcanal and Philippine actions.  Otherwise they stayed home out of the fight.

Cold War BB usage and effectiveness is questionable at best.  Definitely obsolete by 1945.  Personal opinion, for Korean and Vietnam wars they were just thought to be the better NGFS platforms.   Aerial bombardment was better, more cost effective, but leaders during this time still hearkened back to the 'good ole days' of BBs on the high seas.

Re-commissioning in the '80's was purely political.  A show of force.  Ours is bigger than yours so to speak.   1 Russian torpedo - BLAP.  

But, IRL,,, a ship firing 152 mm or smaller shells at an Iowa or Yammy could've fired till they ran out of shells and not burned them down or sunk them.  What this game does is pure fantasy on the sacred altar of balance.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,738 posts
2 hours ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Now? Suddenly?

The fact is there are plenty that play BBs to their strength, and to negatively label any players of a particular ship type would be wrong.

Unfortunately within each type you also have players who do not play well, and in this particular case, these players will always have some reason not to move forward. You could have no one on the other side of the map and they would stay back.....just in case. :Smile_honoring:

Yeap.  The whole "X ship type always does this and they all suck" thing is old and tired and ignorant.  

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
548 posts
6,771 battles

Its been like that for the longest time, except now most bb survive till end of the match at 100% hp which is kind of ridiculous.  If you put yourself in the shoes of most average bb players, you would rather shoot slow moving bb at longer range than an actively dodging cruiser that is closer.  For a bb to survive with 100% hp right up to the game is over, that actually require a lot of work of running away lol.

Edited by mixmkz

[NUWES]
Members
3,138 posts
10,749 battles
2 hours ago, Adder007USA said:

lol. It's been like this since somewhere after WoW left Beta. You're just not used to it after your hiatus. People will claim it got worse since HE spam, since CVs, or whatever. It's always been that way. The only difference I've noticed is there are a lot of newer players on who are less familiar with the game, probably due to COVID-19 lockdowns. 

• Cool 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,082 posts
3 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

lol. It's been like this since somewhere after WoW left Beta. You're just not used to it after your hiatus. People will claim it got worse since HE spam, since CVs, or whatever. It's always been that way. The only difference I've noticed is there are a lot of newer players on who are less familiar with the game, probably due to COVID-19 lockdowns. 

:Smile_great:Truth

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Cool 1

[CHBAY]
Beta Testers
560 posts
3,670 battles

There's people that are being smart avoiding the HE flamethrowers and there's completely worthless cowards. Watch what they do once the destroyers and cruisers are beaten back.

• Cool 1