You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sinton

Fixated on Tier 7 Ranked

56 comments in this topic

[LOS]
Members
864 posts
13,742 battles

I don't know why Tier 7 Ranked has grabbed my attention, but it has.

I've read the posts on this topic.  reviewed ships in harbor.  I have thought much about this unloved tier.

I'm a DD man and IJN DDs were the first lines  I ever completed.

So I look at Akatsuki.  I love her 3x3 torp launchers.

Her guns are ok with really bad turret rotation.

I look at Shiratsuyu with her amputated roll out.  Used to be she had Torp Reload and Smoke.  Not so much anymore.

Maybe Yudachi is a way to reclaim what Shiratsuyu was and  is a way to reclaim this.

Edited by Sinton

[SRBL]
Members
485 posts
11,666 battles

I'll be using Kuznetsov in Sinop, Jervis with Cunningham and Flint. 

[KWF]
Members
4,370 posts
6,405 battles

If a DD man and relatively capable, Haida and Sims are the way to go. The former is the stealth king with all the tools to dominate caps, the latter a decent jack of all trades with a baked in XP bonus.

If we talk about tech tree, Mahan is gonna be the dark horse of this season. Decent torpedoes, good smoke, and the same DPM as Fletcher, only two tiers lower.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,166 posts
16,863 battles

I'll be in the Payfast to start with radar and hydro. I always try to find and kill DDs quickly while remaining as undetected as possible. After that the match should swing in our favor but with the current level of gameplay being what it is, anything can happen. 

Memebase - MAGIC 8-BALL - All Your Memes In Our Base - Funny Memes ...

• Funny 1

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
925 posts
10,155 battles

My best guess is this will be the top 5 ships for the upcoming tier 7 ranked season:

1. Belfast

2. Indianapolis

3. Sinop

4. Haida

5. Vauquelin

Also expect Scharnhorst, Gneisnau, and Atlanta to perform strong.

[DOG]
Members
1,107 posts
11,782 battles
57 minutes ago, Sinton said:

I've read the posts on this topic.  reviewed ships in harbor.  I have thought much about this unloved tier.

I'm a DD man and IJN DDs were the first lines  I ever completed.

So I look at Akatsuki.  I love her 3x3 torp launchers.

Her guns are ok with really bad turret rotation.

I look at Shiratsuyu with her amputated roll out.  Used to be she had Torp Reload and Smoke.  Not so much anymore.

Maybe Yudachi is a way to reclaim what Shiratsuyu was and  is a way to reclaim this.

I agree that Akatsuki is great.  Love the speed, and the fact that the torps are divided into 3 launchers.  It means you can send a wave where the target is heading, plus where it will be if it slows down, plus another to where it will be if it turns.  If only it had slightly better concealment, it would be perfect.

I think I'll try Ashitaka again.  I had mixed results last time, but on those occasions when I got to use its guns properly, they were murder machines.  Just need more practice

Members
6,621 posts
20,628 battles
18 minutes ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

My best guess is this will be the top 5 ships for the upcoming tier 7 ranked season:

1. Belfast

2. Indianapolis

3. Sinop

4. Haida

5. Vauquelin

Also expect Scharnhorst, Gneisnau, and Atlanta to perform strong.

Nelson, Flint & Fiji,

Granted we have many new lines but back in the day Fiji was number two only behind the Payfast.

[FML]
Members
3,940 posts
15,492 battles

I would have thought the strongest ships for this season were: 

Battleships 

• Sinop
  • Scharnhorst
  • Nelson

Cruisers 

• Belfast
  • Fiji
  • Flint

Destroyers

• Haida
  • French DD
  • Swedish DD
  • Akatsuki

Obviously, good players will make any ship sing, and there are a few out there that could do great work but wouldnt be in the top group, like if a Lyon caught any cruiser broadside, etc.  

[TNG-2]
Members
203 posts
14,166 battles

A centrally positioned Colorado might be a dark horse (most of us remember our first time through and hating her... but after all the buffs, I've re-ground the US BB line twice, I actually really love Colorado now).

That said, I think early on we'll see a whole mismash of ships because it's a ranked season that's inclusive of the casual players.  There are so many players who hate tier 10 but will play tier 7.  It's also a season for the free to play crowd.  You can reasonably get to tier 7 for free.  Tier 10 for free although possible is a hell of a grind.  So until you get to rank 5-2, there are going to be a significantly higher percentage of casual players in ranked.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles
5 minutes ago, Heed_04 said:

A centrally positioned Colorado might be a dark horse (most of us remember our first time through and hating her... but after all the buffs, I've re-ground the US BB line twice, I actually really love Colorado now).

That said, I think early on we'll see a whole mismash of ships because it's a ranked season that's inclusive of the casual players.  There are so many players who hate tier 10 but will play tier 7.  It's also a season for the free to play crowd.  You can reasonably get to tier 7 for free.  Tier 10 for free although possible is a hell of a grind.  So until you get to rank 5-2, there are going to be a significantly higher percentage of casual players in ranked.

Considering that Colorado eats pens from every angle and can easily be citadeled through the bow/stern by other BBs (because of how fat she is), I don't think she will perform well in a central position if BBs are prevalent. Sinop is probably gonna outperform the likes of Colorado/Nagato as a BB gun platform.

[WOLFG]
Members
131 posts
9,455 battles

For an oddball choice, I’m going to give the Z-39 a spin. I’ve been testing it over the past two weeks with good results as you get to run the slot 5 concealment module and get T8 German hydro.

The 150mm guns are slow to reload, but if you get anything broadside they can hit hard with AP. I surprised an Atlanta the other night and had 5 citadels in the first two salvos for about ~18k of damage. He got so much grief in chat for losing a gun fight to a DD, but to be honest, he didn’t have a chance in the ambush.

If that fails, back to the Sinop, Scharnhorst, Atlanta and Haida.

[MCGA]
Members
88 posts
10,520 battles

Still upset that the Steel is not higher. I don't see a reason why you can't earn the same amount of steel attaining Rank 1 as you can getting through Typhoon or Hurricane in Clan Battles.

Members
1,624 posts

I'm going with the Zara, Surrey, Sims and Shiratsuyu...may be Fiji. 

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
925 posts
10,155 battles
6 hours ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

Nelson, Flint & Fiji,

Granted we have many new lines but back in the day Fiji was number two only behind the Payfast.

Fiji and Nelson I can agree with. Flint does have some of the strengths of Fiji, but Flint has always benefited from inflated numbers as for a very long time it was only owned by players that had been good enough to rank out multiple times. It may get a watered down version of the same numbers kick, but it was hurt by the IFHE rework just as much as Atlanta was. The difference is that Atlanta still has Radar, which is huge for tier 7 ranked. Even Belfast was affected in a negative way by that rework, but it will still likely be the best ship in ranked because of its ridiculous consumable combination, while Indianapolis will be strong because its guns were unaffected and radar has Des Moines range.

• Cool 1

Members
6,621 posts
20,628 battles
5 minutes ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

Fiji and Nelson I can agree with. Flint does have some of the strengths of Fiji, but Flint has always benefited from inflated numbers as for a very long time it was only owned by players that had been good enough to rank out multiple times. It may get a watered down version of the same numbers kick, but it was hurt by the IFHE rework just as much as Atlanta was. The difference is that Atlanta still has Radar, which is huge for tier 7 ranked. Even Belfast was affected in a negative way by that rework, but it will still likely be the best ship in ranked because of its ridiculous consumable combination, while Indianapolis will be strong because its guns were unaffected and radar has Des Moines range.

All good points. I don't know if you played ranked years ago when it was tier 7, but even with radar, pre Buffs---- the Indy really struggled. It will be interesting to see for sure. It would be awesome to see it thrive again. I am fearful it will be Sinop's everywhere blapping things into submission.

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
925 posts
10,155 battles
1 minute ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

All good points. I don't know if you played ranked years ago when it was tier 7, but even with radar, pre Buffs---- the Indy really struggled. It will be interesting to see for sure. It would be awesome to see it thrive again. I am fearful it will be Sinop's everywhere blapping things into submission.

I came in right after, so I heard about it a lot at the time, but didn't get to participate. Sinop's strength will be in being the best answer to the three Radar ships, but if it does its job too well, it will just open the door for the destroyers to take over. Vauquelin doesn't care about radar anyway, but if Sinop dispatches the radar too easily, expect Akatsuki, Mahan, and Jervis to take over.

Banned
259 posts
4,512 battles
9 hours ago, Sinton said:

#lol no it isn't. That ship is a bad joke. Purely for the Memes.

If you want a good strong premium DD for Ranked, use Haida. But then you need a high skill Commonwealth captain  for the Haida. Otherwise Shira. Since there are no carriers, conceivably even TRB shira.

Edited by FixCVs

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,884 posts
17,928 battles

Although Belfast is a good ship (I have one), and I can play a decent game in it, I've never been able to deliver the OP experience everyone seems to talk about.  It can definitely be countered with good play.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,629 posts
4,997 battles

I am going to use Hood and Haida mostly I think. 

[SALVO]
Members
4,406 posts
3,801 battles
9 hours ago, Sinton said:

I don't know you but it has grabbed mine if only because I don't have a single tier 10 but a whole lot of tier 7s... more over

• No CVs - check
  • Limited Radars - check
  • Small teams - check
  • Inexperienced player base - check

it is full on DD season, I'll be using all of them (the tech tree ones of course) if only to have some fun. Logic says gunboat cap brawlers should have advantage in that environment so US and RN ones will be the mainstay of my comp, with some KMS back up, maybe. Have to test yet the PA one but lack of anti DD torps is a serious handicap.

• Cool 3

[WMD]
Members
1,619 posts
9,753 battles

My plan is a RCN/RN line up consisting of:

Haida

Jervis

Fiji

DoY, and maybe Nelson

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,443 posts
6,495 battles

It won't be me... But with baked in xp bonus..  they'll be some Unicum DD players that will sail through this VERY quickly with Sims.  It should be a "save a star" machine in capable hands.  

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,811 posts
4,299 battles

Is a New Orleans viable, because it’s all I got for now.