You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
handybilly

Mikoyan

25 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
456 posts
9,141 battles

Just got it. Seems like a fun ship. Just don't run into any shells and you will be fine....

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,426 posts
14,165 battles
32 minutes ago, handybilly said:

Just got it. Seems like a fun ship. Just don't run into any shells and you will be fine....

That is true of all tier 5 cruisers particularly the CL's.

I had fun testing her, a very mean ship if the enemy gets stupid and ignores you.

Edited by BrushWolf

[WOLF3]
Members
27,053 posts
23,842 battles
2 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

That is true of all tier 5 cruisers particularly the CL's.

I had fun testing her, a very mean ship if the enemy gets stupid and ignores you.

Yeah, Tier V is home to lots of squishy Cruisers.

Omaha-class (which includes Marblehead, Murmansk) has a tall, exposed citadel.  Even worse, the bow is so thin that 152mm AP will Overmatch and Bow Citadel her there.

Emerald explodes when you start the match.

Same thing with Hawkins.

Kirov's armor belt is so thin, thinner than Emerald and Omaha's, that ITA CA SAP shells will Citadel her.

Konigsberg is so squishy that she blows up when you hit the BATTLE! button.

Montecuccoli & Genova both have a "PLZ CITADEL ME" sign.

Exeter can be prone to deletions.

Krasny Krym is repeatedly sacrificed by deletions for the sake of Mother Russia.

I don't own Mikoyan, but knowing how RU Cruisers are generally protected, we should be able to safely lump her in with this group :Smile_teethhappy:

That's almost every Tier V Cruiser in the game :cap_wander:  The only ones that are halfway decent in protection are Furry Taco and Emile Bertin.  Every other Cruiser this tier, premium or otherwise, is a death trap.

• Funny 2

Members
1,225 posts
5,930 battles

So honest question, what is the point of playing her over the Kirov? They are both (going to be) premiums and as far as I can tell Kirov is better in almost all regards. Mikoyan is slightly more maneuverable and a decent bit more stealthy but that comes at the cost of 3 barrels and a lot of DPM. Maybe I'm missing something?

[WOLF3]
Members
27,053 posts
23,842 battles
37 minutes ago, Tekina_ said:

So honest question, what is the point of playing her over the Kirov? They are both (going to be) premiums and as far as I can tell Kirov is better in almost all regards. Mikoyan is slightly more maneuverable and a decent bit more stealthy but that comes at the cost of 3 barrels and a lot of DPM. Maybe I'm missing something?

I don't own Mikoyan, just trying to answer your question with what I can see from fitting tool.  Here's links for both Mikoyan and Kirov for the sake of comparison.  Both are spec'ed with 10pt captains (PT / AR / DE / CE)

Mikoyan has marginally better turning circle radius.

Mikoyan has better rudder shift time.

With Stealth Build, Mikoyan drops to 10.46km while Kirov is like a Battleship in stealth with 12.41km detection range.

Kirov has a nice chunk more HP at 26.2k vs 21k of Mikoyan.

Kirov has 9 guns vs 6 of Mikoyan;  Reload is very close to each other.

Mikoyan has Spotter Aircraft access.

Kirov has 2% higher Fire Chance.

But the real differences are in shell flight characteristics and the AP shells.  Below I compiled an Artillery Chart with 180mm armed Kirov, Mikoyan, and 203mm armed Furutaka.

Mikoyan's shells fly out faster and have a vastly flatter shell flight arc than Kirov's.

Mikoyan's AP shells also have much, MUCH higher AP penetration value, higher than even Furutaka's 203mm AP.

A3zaRqr.jpg

Also, Mikoyan's AP have different bounce angles.

Mikoyan 50-65 degrees

Kirov / Furutaka 45-60 degrees (Normal AP bounce angles)

Pensacola / New Orleans / Baltimore 60-67.5 degrees (USN CA AP shells have improved bounce angles)

I do not own Mikoyan, so I don't know what her gun angles nor her armor / citadel protection are like.  But if she's anything like most every other RU Cruiser, her armor is going to suck.  I mean, Kirov after all this same tier, her armor belt is so thin that even Italian CA SAP shells will blast through and Citadel her through there.  Even ITA SAP can't Citadel Emerald and Omaha through their sides' armor belt.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SIM]
Members
4,928 posts
8,006 battles

Mikoyan has pretty excellent artillery, and pretty poor everything else. My first impression is that she feels like a tier V Molotov, even moreso than Kirov does.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,053 posts
23,842 battles
28 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

Mikoyan has pretty excellent artillery, and pretty poor everything else. My first impression is that she feels like a tier V Molotov, even moreso than Kirov does.

Yes, Molotov lived and died on her AP.  She was squishy herself.

[PSFL]
Members
10 posts
10,573 battles

Been enjoying her so far... ambush citadels on BB's with torps to follow up = FUN!

[ARGSY]
Members
20,080 posts
14,317 battles
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Same thing with Hawkins.

Hawkins is somewhat tougher with a slightly trolly armour profile, but I will agree on this: offer side, and you are dead. Unlike Emerald, she has high explosive shells and can do damage over time with her main armament. However, also unlike Emerald, she doesn't have a heavy enough torpedo salvo for those post-mortem close-range F-you deletions the Emerald is able to pull off and she has no smoke to ambush from.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,169 posts
16,867 battles

I've been enjoying her while playing the Stromboli of Doom (GC), very easy to citadel. 

Subnautica] Ship Explosion (reddit) GIF by Shady Bliss | Gfycat

• Funny 1

[WOLFC]
Members
1,655 posts
9,465 battles
1 hour ago, SkaerKrow said:

Based on what I can gather, Mikoyan has the improved AP characteristics of the new Soviet CAs, in contrast to Kirov and Molotov. Looking at the stats, in many ways she’s to Tallin what Molotov is to Dmitri Donskoi - very good artillery that is comparable to a ship three tiers higher, but with reduced barrel count/range and a very fragile hull.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,053 posts
23,842 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Hawkins is somewhat tougher with a slightly trolly armour profile, but I will agree on this: offer side, and you are dead. Unlike Emerald, she has high explosive shells and can do damage over time with her main armament. However, also unlike Emerald, she doesn't have a heavy enough torpedo salvo for those post-mortem close-range F-you deletions the Emerald is able to pull off and she has no smoke to ambush from.

Could be worse... You could be using Albemarle :Smile_veryhappy:

Of all the RN Cruisers, I think Albemarle is the most worse off.

[DBRIS]
Members
627 posts
11,129 battles
8 hours ago, handybilly said:

It's Russian & T5, therefore keep your distance from anything! I have been running it around and it is a citadel machine. The spotter gives it great range and you can spam HE when needed. If you get in a furball, you are probably going to lose. The wet paper armor gets damaged by wave action.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,426 posts
14,165 battles
12 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

That's almost every Tier V Cruiser in the game :cap_wander:  The only ones that are halfway decent in protection are Furry Taco and Emile Bertin.  Every other Cruiser this tier, premium or otherwise, is a death trap.

And even the Futurama and the Emile are on the squishy side, just not as much as the other tier 5 cruisers.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,914 posts
11,593 battles
8 hours ago, Jolly_Rodgered said:

I've been enjoying her while playing the Stromboli of Doom (GC), very easy to citadel. 

Subnautica] Ship Explosion (reddit) GIF by Shady Bliss | Gfycat

man Subnautica is a damn good game

• Cool 1

Members
1,070 posts
11,640 battles
12 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Yeah, Tier V is home to lots of squishy Cruisers.

Omaha-class (which includes Marblehead, Murmansk) has a tall, exposed citadel.  Even worse, the bow is so thin that 152mm AP will Overmatch and Bow Citadel her there.

Emerald explodes when you start the match.

Same thing with Hawkins.

Kirov's armor belt is so thin, thinner than Emerald and Omaha's, that ITA CA SAP shells will Citadel her.

Konigsberg is so squishy that she blows up when you hit the BATTLE! button.

Montecuccoli & Genova both have a "PLZ CITADEL ME" sign.

Exeter can be prone to deletions.

Krasny Krym is repeatedly sacrificed by deletions for the sake of Mother Russia.

I don't own Mikoyan, but knowing how RU Cruisers are generally protected, we should be able to safely lump her in with this group :Smile_teethhappy:

Correction on Omaha, I believe they fixed her bow/aft to the proper 13mm (after 4 long [edited]years).  Konigsberg also was buffed you to 13mm (also after 4 long [edited]years).

Omaha’s high citadel may as well be lined out with camo, like Dunk.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,169 posts
16,867 battles
3 hours ago, tcbaker777 said:

man Subnautica is a damn good game

I'm on the second installment at the moment. Not as good as the original but still pretty fun. 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,914 posts
11,593 battles
1 hour ago, Jolly_Rodgered said:

I'm on the second installment at the moment. Not as good as the original but still pretty fun. 

so, you ever hear of the fan made Atlas submarine?

tec8n5hzcto3.png

tanguy-oliveras-submarine7.jpg?149627309

id love to see this thing in Subnautica/Below Zero

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,169 posts
16,867 battles
14 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

so, you ever hear of the fan made Atlas submarine?

tec8n5hzcto3.png

tanguy-oliveras-submarine7.jpg?149627309

id love to see this thing in Subnautica/Below Zero

That is very cool. The fans have some talent. 

[WOLFC]
Members
488 posts
6,385 battles

Definitely feel Mikoyan isn't much to write home about. Needs more Gureyvich.

[NKOTD]
Members
1,049 posts
9,772 battles
5 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

And even the Futurama and the Emile are on the squishy side, just not as much as the other tier 5 cruisers.

I thought Emile was so squishy it was hard to not overpen it....kinda the less is more Smolensk kinda armor scheme.

Furry taco can still be citadeled by DD ap at mid range.

You definitely feel the loss of barrels but still fun citadelling stuff at 15k in tier T5.  No other cruiser can reliably do that. 

That said....in a 1 v 1 against one of the bergs it will melt... or against the Kirov for that matter.

Edited by YouSatInGum

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,426 posts
14,165 battles
1 hour ago, YouSatInGum said:

I thought Emile was so squishy it was hard to not overpen it....kinda the less is more Smolensk kinda armor scheme.

You definitely feel the loss of barrels but still fun citadelling stuff at 15k in tier T5.  No other cruiser can reliably do that. 

That said....in a 1 v 1 against one of the bergs it will melt... or against the Kirov for that matter.

The Emile is like the MN BB's where you don't bow tank but angle off and is quite tough when you do that. The Mikoyan while not truely a CL can raise holy heck on broadside cruisers all the way out out 16Km.

Members
727 posts
9,871 battles
5 hours ago, YouSatInGum said:

Emile is all 13 mm, no armor at all anywhere on the ship. The citadel is spaced so you can't be HE citadeled, but both layers are 13 mm. If it's broadside it doesn't get deleted often because the AP doesn't arm, but if angled it can easily be killed by anything with 203 mm + guns that overmatch 13 mm.

Furutaka has the same 76 mm belt as Omaha, but it has some 25 mm plating that can bounce smaller caliber BBs and an armored deck. Its armor works if it's angled but it's easy to citadel broadside.

[NKOTD]
Members
1,049 posts
9,772 battles
On 5/16/2020 at 2:42 AM, WernerHerzdog said:

Emile is all 13 mm, no armor at all anywhere on the ship. The citadel is spaced so you can't be HE citadeled, but both layers are 13 mm. If it's broadside it doesn't get deleted often because the AP doesn't arm, but if angled it can easily be killed by anything with 203 mm + guns that overmatch 13 mm.

Except the deck.  Before IFHE rework, used to to cit it often with Flalanta. It is more rare now. 

[WOLF7]
Members
12,596 posts
On 5/15/2020 at 2:05 AM, Tekina_ said:

920 fps > 800 fps....