You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Dano07_

Thinking about getting a Russian Premium

23 comments in this topic

Members
71 posts
105 battles

Hi

Just trying to weight up the value of the different Rus Premiums in T7 /T8 as a useful boats and Capt trainer ( CL-CA/ BB )

Lazo - don't know much about her but seems quite handy when in randoms ( would mostly play Narai , so easy exp ). 

Poltava - Havnt seen a lot of them and not sure if they are rated well ( would mostly play Narai , so easy exp ) 

Lenin - Had fun in her when it was a loan ship , seems quite tanky and did reasonably ok even when up tiered

Bagration - seems good on paper , very new but if u get her now you can use her extra token making skill to help with Rus directives ( plus she has the 3 x 25 battles bonus which is another plus )

Ochakov - Players seem cautious on this ship , its requires a particular play style and I saw one person get 2.5 K base so it cant be too bad in the right hands. ( again 3 x 25 battler bonus ) 

Thanks

[WW2]
Members
354 posts
6,899 battles

Ranked is next week so I would go lazo. Everyone says poltiva is garbage and I only see one every 100 games or so. The two new ones are nice but still. Just my opinion.

Edit: ranked is tier 7 this time. Thus lazo.

Edited by Darmokattenagra
Info

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles

I very much enjoy playing Lenin.  Whatever you do, don't waste your money on Ochakov, it is painfully bad. 

[SIM]
Members
4,936 posts
8,014 battles

Of those, in my opinion Lenin is the most solid ship overall. Good stats, and no glaring shortcomings other than a need to protect your flanks. Lazo is like an uncomfortable Chapayev shoved down a tier and stripped of her radar. She’s not bad, but not special. Ochakov has tier VI firepower married to tier VIII consumables on a tier VII hull with tier IX concealment. She’s all over the place, but seems like she can come into her own when there’s a good team backing her up. I haven’t played the other two. 

Edited by SkaerKrow

[5D3]
[5D3]
Members
506 posts
15,156 battles
1 hour ago, Dano07_ said:

Hi

Just trying to weight up the value of the different Rus Premiums in T7 /T8 as a useful boats and Capt trainer ( CL-CA/ BB )

Lazo - don't know much about her but seems quite handy when in randoms ( would mostly play Narai , so easy exp ). 

Poltava - Havnt seen a lot of them and not sure if they are rated well ( would mostly play Narai , so easy exp ) 

Lenin - Had fun in her when it was a loan ship , seems quite tanky and did reasonably ok even when up tiered

Bagration - seems good on paper , very new but if u get her now you can use her extra token making skill to help with Rus directives ( plus she has the 3 x 25 battles bonus which is another plus )

Ochakov - Players seem cautious on this ship , its requires a particular play style and I saw one person get 2.5 K base so it cant be too bad in the right hands. ( again 3 x 25 battler bonus ) 

Thanks

get bargation, she has heals

Members
3,101 posts
6,704 battles

If you're mostly doing Narai, then almost any of the Tier VII Soviet ships work, including the tech tree ones. Lazo and Leningrad  would be my Soviet premiums of choice for Narai, but Soviet ships are not honestly my first choice for Narai.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,602 posts
45 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

If you're mostly doing Narai, then almost any of the Tier VII Soviet ships work, including the tech tree ones. Lazo and Leningrad  would be my Soviet premiums of choice for Narai, but Soviet ships are not honestly my first choice for Narai.

Leningrad is generally the top choice of a Narai DD.  It's blazing fast so it can dash to the MO when it's clear, it has plenty of torp punch to one shot the MO and it's guns have the range and punch to solo the DD that comes with the CV, before it can get into torp range.  Once that DD is dead, it can knock out both the CV and the Phoenix.

Basically, if it has to, it can take care of the Iron Duke, the MO and the whole CV side by itself and it can do it all fast enough to keep the pace.

This used to be be much more valuable though before the Narai nerf, when 5 and 4 man Narai runs paid out huge.  Now, not so much.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
5,994 posts
20,723 battles
2 hours ago, Dano07_ said:

Hi

Thanks

Bagatron.

Strong ship.  But her ship token missions are for 7 missions worth 30 tokens each.

The tier 5 you get for 1st token purchase is realy strong.

Both have 180 mm guns.

T5 are rail guns.

T8 are floaty past 14 km but accurate.

T8 he is weak.

Armor is strong but it can't tank.

Under 10km you can citadel battleships.

[BALD]
[BALD]
Members
15 posts
3,774 battles
3 hours ago, Dano07_ said:

About this 25 x 3 XP Mission.

There is some lack of clarity in the text about the Bonus missions for the new T8 Russian premium cruisers in the premium shop.

I made a topic about it on the EU forum (see https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/135429-russian-cruisers-bonus-combat-mission-x3-am-i-missing-something-again/ ), and waiting for clarification by some WG-staff.

But in short (example taken from premium shop - Pyotr Bagration https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/vehicles/15368/ ): It doesn’t say that “Bonus: Combat mission: 25 x 3 XP” but it only says
Bagration1.JPG.06575b778b3b4bbf0e090279d90341a0.JPG
And in the text about the bonus mission
Bagration2.thumb.JPG.698bf52d227cf618f6e57ca0449436b3.JPG

So you could read this as meaning that for every game until July 11. (even if you “spam” it for 300+ games), you would get that  x3 –bonus for each game, because there is nowhere in the text mentioned “for 25 games”.

Edit: Maybe @Hapa_Fodder could "Shine some light" on this?

Edited by Bald_Rookie
Tagging Hapa_fodder

[USCC2]
Members
6,060 posts
16 minutes ago, Bald_Rookie said:

About this 25 x 3 XP Mission.

There is some lack of clarity in the text about the Bonus missions for the new T8 Russian premium cruisers in the premium shop.

I made a topic about it on the EU forum (see https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/135429-russian-cruisers-bonus-combat-mission-x3-am-i-missing-something-again/ ), and waiting for clarification by some WG-staff.

But in short (example taken from premium shop - Pyotr Bagration https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/vehicles/15368/ ): It doesn’t say that “Bonus: Combat mission: 25 x 3 XP” but it only says
Bagration1.JPG.06575b778b3b4bbf0e090279d90341a0.JPG
And in the text about the bonus mission
Bagration2.thumb.JPG.698bf52d227cf618f6e57ca0449436b3.JPG

So you could read this as meaning that for every game until July 11. (even if you “spam” it for 300+ games), you would get that  x3 –bonus for each game, because there is nowhere in the text mentioned “for 25 games”.

I understand what you are saying sir.....but seriously?

Do you really think in the WoWs community's wildest dreams, that WG would drop that gift horse in our laps! :Smile_teethhappy:

[PMWC1]
Members
170 posts
5,366 battles

Interesting.  I was wondering why I had no counter displayed in the mission.

[BALD]
[BALD]
Members
15 posts
3,774 battles
7 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

I understand what you are saying sir.....but seriously?

Do you really think in the WoWs community's wildest dreams, that WG would drop that gift horse in our laps! :Smile_teethhappy:

Nope. Not really.

2 minutes ago, DM31 said:

Interesting.  I was wondering why I had no counter displayed in the mission. 

Yupp. Noticed that also. For Orkan there was a "game-counter"
Orkan.JPG.7b4c49c41700c333d0c8343ebe3d1560.JPG
but not for the Bagration
Bagration.JPG.f2accd002ac10fa7380275810d2bcac4.JPG

[FML]
Members
3,942 posts
15,503 battles
3 hours ago, Dano07_ said:

Hi

Thanks

Hi, welcome to WoWS. 

Firstly, my suggestion is that you immediately grind for the T5 Russian tech tree cruiser Kirov - its about to be made into a premium ship for free, so be quick!

Secondly, you do not yet have a lot of battles under your belt.  You probably are not ready for a T8 ship, as the game's 'meta' is quite different at high tiers than at low tiers.  Sure, you can grow into it over time, but dont expect to have a great time with your expensive premium ship just because its a T8. 

Still, you might be interested in my Premium Ship Guide for new players - it goes into a discussion about the things to think about before buying a premium ship, and makes some suggestions for new player friendly and/or good value premium ships that you might be interested in.  

Unfortunately, of that list you have I have only played the Lenin, and I thought it was OK - but I've played both the Nelson and the Vladivostock so I knew what I was getting myself into first.  

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Members
71 posts
105 battles

Hi

Thanks for the replies -  I have grinded my way up to T9 on Asia server but will make NA my home when they let me transfer

Re : Bagration - I often find WG uses different wording to describe the same thing ( just their way of being amusing ). So I take the 'sign on' bonus as being 25 x 3X regardless of counters.

If it was unlimited bonus games till July then that would be the first WG stealthily Bonus I ve seen !

Also I thought there was a Bonus for each daily win you had in the Bagration/Ochakov ( like they had with the London UK CA event ) but this is easily testified by players who have the ship already ?

Maybe I didn't read it carefully enough - need clarity @Hapa_Fodder

thanks

PS . Perhaps I wouldn't use Russian premiums as my first choice for Narai either but with the right group its a win and a good way to retrain capts.

Edited by Dano07_

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles
5 hours ago, Dano07_ said:

Hi

Thanks

Since you got Tier IX in Asia server, that changed my initial reply.

Before considering Lazo, Bagration, Ochakov, the real question is how much experience do you have with RU Cruisers, including your time on Asia server?  RU Cruisers are ranged support ships.  Glass Cannons.  They deal steady damage at range but almost all of them are pretty squishy.  RU Cruisers are fantastic at range and they generally have the best or among the best shell flight characteristics.  Low shell arcs, high velocity shells.  Lets them reliably hit targets at range.  The price they pay however is though their speed is decent, they have some of the worst Cruiser turning circle radius and rudder shift times in the game.  Like, ALL of them.  They also tend to have terrible to mediocre at best protection schemes.

Lazo was pretty darn good before the IFHE / Armor change.  The update hurt all Tier VII and below CLs (except the German ones who have the fabulous HE Pen Buff from long ago) with worse HE Pen and even less benefit from IFHE.

Bagration is an unusual "CL" that relies on 180mm guns with fantastic AP.  Higher AP Penetration than even 203mm Baltimore AP shells.  They even have improved bounce angles for the AP.  She has Repair Party which is great, since most other Cruisers in Tier VIII don't have access to that consumable.  But her armor is pretty mediocre.  She has a lot of 25mm armor sections on her hull, so 380mm+ AP shells will Overmatch and pen regardless of angles Bagration takes.

I don't have Ochakov, I haven't even really looked at her stats much, so I can't give a decent assessment yet.

Again, in general before diving into RU Cruisers, they're ranged support and if you creep closer to where people can start reliably hitting you, you're going to get smashed, especially by BBs.  Of all the Cruiser Lines, the RU Cruisers live and die the most on "Fight at Range or Die."  If you're the type of Cruiser player that on occasion likes to move up to cut engagement ranges down, especially around islands, RU Cruisers are easily the absolute worst Cruisers to take into that kind of fighting.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
71 posts
105 battles

Hi 

Thanks for that HazeGrayUnderwater 

Currently on the Donskoi - I don't mind the distance HE farming play style. I liked most of the Rus CL line except the Chappy - took me a while to get her to work because I seemed to became a PT with her.

Regards the Bagration - the 'Bad Firing Angles' worry me - not sure how bad it is + how much sides I have to give ?  I don't want to be too broadside to get the guns on target especially if its not highly maneuverable.

Some one mentioned its guns are floaty beyond 14 kms ?

Personally I ve found the best way to mitigate damage at distance is to keep as low a profile ; lots of gaps open up between shells even when they are on target .

Also my T8 ships seems to more often than not meet T9 +TX MM - so it can be tough competition.

thanks

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles
44 minutes ago, Dano07_ said:

Hi 

Thanks for that HazeGrayUnderwater 

Currently on the Donskoi - I don't mind the distance HE farming play style. I liked most of the Rus CL line except the Chappy - took me a while to get her to work because I seemed to became a PT with her.

Regards the Bagration - the 'Bad Firing Angles' worry me - not sure how bad it is + how much sides I have to give ?  I don't want to be too broadside to get the guns on target especially if its not highly maneuverable.

Some one mentioned its guns are floaty beyond 14 kms ?

Personally I ve found the best way to mitigate damage at distance is to keep as low a profile ; lots of gaps open up between shells even when they are on target .

Also my T8 ships seems to more often than not meet T9 +TX MM - so it can be tough competition.

thanks

My love for the RU Cruiser Line dropped once I was past Tier VII Schors :Smile_popcorn:  I know lots of people hated Schors, but I had a blast on her.  Chapayev, Dmitri Donskoi, and even Moskva, I didn't like.  I respected Chapayev & Moskva as opponents, as Radar Cruisers and long range gunners.  But I didn't like in particular with Tier IX-X the increased size of the ships, bad concealment.  The increased size with the typically exposed Citadel made them more uncomfortable for me.

Bagration's kiting gun angles are pretty mediocre, you'll be able to fire 2 of the 3 turrets while still maintaining decent kite angles.  If you try to use all 3 that can open you up as a wider target to land more hits on.  You do not want to give 380mm+ armed BBs more hull to hit, they'll Overmatch you.

Bagration's shell flight characteristics are actually fantastic.  I talk about the shells and gunnery here before I bought her and compared her in fitting tool.

Whoever told you Bagration's shells are floaty past 14km is wrong.  Below is the artillery chart with Bagration's 180mm and Kutuzov's 152mm shells.  The RU 152mm guns are fantastic at range with fast flying shells and low shell arcs.  Bagration's shells are better.

UwO1AP4.jpg

Bagration's shells behave better at range than even the RU 152mm railguns.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[KSE]
1,732 posts
17,358 battles

I hard carried a tier 9 match with tier 8 CV in my Bagration last night.  CV was avoiding me until the end and wasn't able to do much when he tried.  Played it a bit like a Hindenburg early, setting BB's on fire and jumping a Haida that got to close to a team mates radar.  Late match was able to alternate between capping/wrecking a Fiji with AP and then chasing down a smoked Asashio with the hydro.

The 180mm guns are very nice, flat arcs, decent reload and good citadel chances on cruisers.  The heal is small, but very useful in extending your game play, the torps are useful for flushing smoked up ships are dropping in front of oncoming BB's, but not much else.

I had the doubloons sitting around and don't regret getting it from the armory.

Members
3,101 posts
6,704 battles
8 hours ago, Burnsy said:

Leningrad is generally the top choice of a Narai DD.  It's blazing fast so it can dash to the MO when it's clear, it has plenty of torp punch to one shot the MO and it's guns have the range and punch to solo the DD that comes with the CV, before it can get into torp range.  Once that DD is dead, it can knock out both the CV and the Phoenix.

Basically, if it has to, it can take care of the Iron Duke, the MO and the whole CV side by itself and it can do it all fast enough to keep the pace.

This used to be be much more valuable though before the Narai nerf, when 5 and 4 man Narai runs paid out huge.  Now, not so much.

I agree, I just think that the DD role in Narai is the riskiest one to play and typically the lowest return for me. I only do DDs in Narai for the lulz or when I have a DD-specific task or grind to do that is achievable in operations. CV route is risky in a DD because Phoenix actually has a fairly good DPM, and unless the CV group arrives strung out and can be instagibbed one by one (or Nicholas goes into the bay), facing both of them can be challenging for a DD. Really DD play in Narai just doesn't really allow for mistakes. It's seldom fatal per se, but if you booger up your torpedo launch on Iron Duke by either flat-out missing or by not getting them launched in time to impact before your battleships can take the kill, or if a smart Flint or Fiji player steals the Missouri kill with well-aimed torpedoes themselves, it can be hard to be competitive for XP.

[A-D-F]
7,602 posts
5 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

I agree, I just think that the DD role in Narai is the riskiest one to play and typically the lowest return for me. I only do DDs in Narai for the lulz or when I have a DD-specific task or grind to do that is achievable in operations. CV route is risky in a DD because Phoenix actually has a fairly good DPM, and unless the CV group arrives strung out and can be instagibbed one by one (or Nicholas goes into the bay), facing both of them can be challenging for a DD. Really DD play in Narai just doesn't really allow for mistakes. It's seldom fatal per se, but if you booger up your torpedo launch on Iron Duke by either flat-out missing or by not getting them launched in time to impact before your battleships can take the kill, or if a smart Flint or Fiji player steals the Missouri kill with well-aimed torpedoes themselves, it can be hard to be competitive for XP.

If you group up with the hoperations guys, they work together and are really nice fellas, you won't have any chaos.  When I run pugs, that's exactly why I like the grad, it's fast.  I charge hard and make sure I get my licks in, I don't throw the OP or anything but I make sure that I am out front when I need to be and don't give them the chance for any shenanigans :Smile_veryhappy:

Members
3,101 posts
6,704 battles
2 hours ago, Burnsy said:

If you group up with the hoperations guys, they work together and are really nice fellas, you won't have any chaos.  When I run pugs, that's exactly why I like the grad, it's fast.  I charge hard and make sure I get my licks in, I don't throw the OP or anything but I make sure that I am out front when I need to be and don't give them the chance for any shenanigans :Smile_veryhappy:

The problem is that when I group with the Hoperations guys, nothing lives long enough for me to torpedo LOL. @Cast_Iron_Brutalizer is always torping Missouri with his Flint!

[1IF]
Banned
436 posts
1,426 battles

Resist the Dark Side.

Don't buy any premiums.