Capt_Ahab1776

Arguing

3 comments in this topic

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,604 posts
15,768 battles

Found this gem while browsing YouTube. They were geniuses. 

Ever get into discussions like this here on the forum or in game?? LoL

Members
2,988 posts
36,790 battles
1 hour ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Found this gem while browsing YouTube. They were geniuses. 

Incoming wall of text of magnificent proportions.

Unfortunately, I have these types of conversations and it's always me loading in and being the easiest target for it. I don't know how I always get these nearly every week. Maybe it's my time slot or something. Idk, I just want to sink a few ships.

Latest one was someone saying something about bird poop and fools falling from the sky. But I was confused by the wording, got distracted by looking it up and got sunk by a bot.

If you want to have a discussion, lay it out in forums I guess. I just make the occasional joke, jab, and smarty-pants comments in game. Sometimes, maybe a witty joke or two. But sharing deep thoughts with someone that has deep thoughts is a tedious exercise in futility with me. Because I don't really know you do I?  Getting to that level of communication requires direct communication like phone, email, and face to face.

Players have usernames to create some anonymity, but publicly well known users probably would like to be anonymous as well. Reasons that most, will likely never know. But because of that, using a different name is just hiding behind a different persona for the sake of not wanting to reveal themselves to a person or group. I guess that's okay, but it's only going to create confusion to the recipient. Because the recipient has no idea who they are really talking to. And eventually, one starts to get the idea that noone is really who they seem. That it's a perpetual catfish moment.

Speak plainly, no beating around the bush, quipping your way to get a reaction is straight up trolling. I get jokes fine. But being controversial about something or just instigating a reaction from a player just to get a reaction is counterproductive. Because there is no real communication. You don't know if a certain person is that person.

I think players would appreciate direct communication after the game. Otherwise, most players will just click the mute button and say: "Ahhhhh, the silence."

Have a question, ask it. But use the chat comms post match. I have seen some really intense players that absolutely need concentration just to play and later laugh at my jokes. Because they were not reading chat. Even I am starting to not glance over to the chat box in game.

But I guess I am an unusual case. I just play, help occasionally, and get frustrated by certain things. But I just keep it to myself. I am not so inclined to say something these days. Ask a question, sure. I despise ranked so much because it brings out the worst in me. I really don't like that. It's frustrating.

Question me about any decisions I make and doing so under the pretext of claiming to be someone that they are not is deceptive. It's hard to believe anything at that point.

Most players genuinely want to be themselves. I am me. What you see is what you get. I don't pass notes to others like it's fourth grade or something. And players in general like direct communication.

I would like to think that is what is best for players. I just see some wierd stuff lately.

I got some interesting skills I acquired over the years in life and in game, but I just don't read minds through the internet. Visually, I can read anyone like a book. Auditory, I can tell how a person is thinking by the inflections in the language. A handshake tells a different story, and of course there are other things.

Like actions, for instance.  In work, my work speaks for me. Those that heard the sound of my voice, speak well of me. Those I helped, directly or indirectly, would defend my character. Those that shook my hand, know how hard I have worked.

And those that look me in the eye, already know more about me than they care to admit.

And yet, the arguments are always out there. And I still don't know what the argument is all about.

Tis a mystery, enshrined in an enigma, wrapped in a finger puzzle, that is put in that box from the movie Hellraiser.

At least, I am outside of the box.

😏🤔😎🐻🐨🦀😷🌈

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,674 posts
5 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Many discussions on Internet forums are the written equivalents of kids fighting over a toy, yet their participants oftentimes think they are actually participating in a logical argument, which is a whole 'nother beast entirely.

• Boring 1

Sign in to follow this