You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

Is the Era of Great Naval Commanders Over?

7 comments in this topic

[STW-N]
Members
4,090 posts
9,562 battles

Since the concept of naval combat began, there have been names that stood out as shining examples of naval conduct, innovation, and overall excellence. The likes of Horatio Nelson, Togo, Yi Sun-Sin, etc. are forever preserved in the annals of naval history.

During WW2, for example, many commanders from different sides of the conflict distinguished themselves at various levels of command: Raymond Spruance, Andrew Cunningham, Raizo Tanaka, etc. Obviously, there were also those that displayed stunning ineptitude like Captain Bode (of USS Chicago fame) and Captain Guy D'Oyly-Hughes (of HMS Glorious fame).

Yet as modern technology develops, I cannot help but wonder if the era of great admirals is over or not. While I am certain that history will remember the existence of incompetent naval commanders, I am not so certain about if the competent or exemplary ones will receive the same historical prominence.

Nowadays, (at least to me) it seems that modern naval combat consists mainly of both sides launching airstrikes and firing missiles at one another from various platforms, as well as defending themselves using various countermeasures. Thus, factors like tide patterns or elaborate night battle flanking manuvers would appear to be things of the past, and thus no longer valid criteria for judging the skills of a naval commander.

Thus, this leads to one question: is the era of great naval commanders over? If not, what will distinguish a contemporary naval commander such that he or she will be elevated onto the same level as Nelson or Togo (as opposed to a merely competent commander)? Are there any innovations—technological, tactical, strategic, etc.—that would allow naval historians 100 years in the future to go "yes, this naval commander was the Nelson of his/her era"?

Edited by Avenge_December_7

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,433 posts
14,165 battles

I say it isn't over. While technology is a big factor in modern combat positioning with the right force in the right place at the right time is still what is important.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,313 posts
25,257 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

I say it isn't over. While technology is a big factor in modern combat positioning with the right force in the right place at the right time is still what is important.

This.

The person or persons are probably out there; but the conflict and actions which would make them ‘great,’ are likely to be destructive to a degree we should hope and pray they never actually occur.

• Cool 1

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,782 posts
21,559 battles

There are great leaders out there. Those great leaders become those "great commanders" during times of conflict. The kind of conflict needed to find these commanders is not something we need. In my opinion, the next battleground for one of these leaders to shine will be the South China Sea...

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles

You can only have great, proven, highly celebrated military leaders and personnel if there's a big war going on.

Personally, it'd be nice if we didn't have any such events like WWII anymore.  I rather not we fight such a conflict with today's weapons and technology.

Something I noticed watching documentaries on WWII, things got worse and worse when the war was escalated.  That ramped up the forms of attacks to do more and more terrible things to people in general.  You really do not want to see that with today's weapons, most especially how far we've come in Nuclear, Biological, Chemical Warfare.  I do not want to see a large scale, modern war fought "with the gloves off."

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,049 posts
12,728 battles

It's largely over. A modern conflict will probably not be long enough for ships to be manipulated around a map like in previous conflicts. A modern war will be fought where the ships are at the moment, with what they have at the moment.

Outside of dealing with submarines, you also won't recognize great commanders, as the actual great and successful ones will have prepared their crews the best.

[REVY]
Members
6,739 posts
5,685 battles

Patton 1970 : "Wonder weapons?" My God, I don't see the wonder in them. Killing without heroics. Nothing is glorified? Nothing is reaffirmed? No heroes, no cowards, no troops, no generals. Only those who are left alive and those who are left... dead. I won't live to see it.

• Cool 1