You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Soviet Cruisers Directives: A Tactical Guide.

21 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
20,204 posts
14,348 battles

This is my guide to how to approach and complete the directives for the Patch 0.9.4 Soviet Cruisers event.

As always, Tier 5 ships and up unless otherwise stated. Submarine battles come later in the patch; ignore those at first.

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:  

image.png.21a0dacfb9c93d7e8854f5a49d29d9d9.png  That's Pacific Time (LA, Vancouver, etc - Alaska is slightly earlier IIRC.)

NA server players elsewhere in the world should go to the actual news page to see their own local time displayed..

DIRECTIVE 1: Opens today, 13 May; 4 more full days until Directive 2 opens. Complete ANY FIVE of the following to unlock Directive 2 and receive FIVE Soviet Containers. Unless otherwise stated, tasks may be completed over any number of battles. The remaining tasks may be completed at leisure. Unless specified, the tasks can be completed in Random, Co-op, Submarines (coming soon) and Ranked modes. Some missions disallow some modes OR allow others in addition. Unfinished tasks in directives 1 to 3 can go on being completed in subsequent directives up to the closing date specified above.

This directive is achievable entirely with Tier 5 ships in co-op battles (persistence required).

1) Cause 1 million HP of damage to ships in Submarine, Random, Co-op or Ranked battles; Rewards ONE Soviet container.

2) Get 65 Citadel hit or Torpedo hit ribbons; battle types as above; rewards 500 coal.

3) Get 400 main or secondary hits (or both); battle modes as above; reward 3 x Mike Yankee Soxisix flags.

4) Get 12 spotting ribbons. Modes as above, rewards 2 Sierra Mike flags.

5) Earn 3 million credits. Modes as above PLUS Clan or Scenario (Operation). Rewards a Soviet container.

6) Earn 18,100 base XP (before premium time or bonuses). Modes as for the credit mission. Rewards a Soviet container.

7) In premium ships MIKOYAN or OCHAKOV, earn 18,000 ship XP. Random, co-op or scenario battles only; rewards 2500 FXP (actually is Random or Co-op as neither T5 nor T8 is eligible for scenarios!).

8) In premium ships MIKOYAN or PYOTR BAGRATION, cause 210,000 damage to ships. Random or co-op for the reasons described above.  Rewards 100,000 credits.

9) In ONE Random or Ranked Battle, earn 2200 base XP. Rewards a Leviathan flag.

10) In ONE Random or Ranked Battle, earn 5 achievements. Rewards a Wyvern, Basilisk and Red Dragon flag.

ADVICE FOR NEWER PLAYERS: Be wary of buying a ship just to get an easy bypass on the directives; the Mikoyan is the prize at the end of it all anyway. Counting Patch Day, you have five tasks to complete in order to enable Directive 2 on the day it unlocks. Divide the quantities in the first five tasks by 5, and aim to achieve that every night. When Directive 2 opens, task 6 will, if still unfinished, complete in the background to give you your container. 

I would not be surprised to find that a few very experienced captains who decided to buy themselves an Ochakov had loaded up all the XP camos and flags, gone out and had a spectactular battle, and cleared this directive in a single fight. If you did, post the screenshot. 

HINTS AND TRICKS: Spotting ribbons are best earned in either aircraft carriers (if you have one at Tier 6 or better) sweeping around the map at the start, or destroyers pushing forward aggressively. Main or secondary battery hit missions are the province of destroyers rich in guns, fast-firing cruisers, or battleships with lots of secondary guns pushed in close (an affordable risk in co-op; in Randoms, not so much). Cruisers and battleships are the go-to for citadels, but Russian destroyers from Tier 6 on up and the Gnevny-derivative ships in the Pan-Asian line (Fushun and premium Anshan at Tier 6) have ballistically identical guns with very good AP performance and can do terrible things to many cruisers they meet on the broadside; look for opportunities to use your AP ammo to best effect as you are pressing in to close range for torpedo hits. Most if not all tech-tree cruisers at Tier 5 have torpedoes, and can perform both the torpedo and citadel missions. Look at what is being asked of you, look carefully at your ships' capabilities, and consider the best one for the job. 

DO NOT GET DISHEARTENED BY THE DIFFICULT ALL-IN-ONE-BATTLE MISSIONS OR THE PREMIUM SHIP MISSIONS. You only have to finish five tasks out of the ten to advance to the next directive; don't let the four biggest (and most expensive) distract you.

DIRECTIVE 2: Opens 18 May 2020, with a 7 day run before Directive 3 opens. Complete ANY FIVE of the following to access Directive 3 when it unlocks, and receive 8 Soviet containers. Tier 5 ships and up unless otherwise stated. Complete the task over any number of battles unless specifically stated.

1) Receive 24.5 million potential damage (shells, bombs, torps etc. that pass within 750m of your ship) in random, co-op, submarine or ranked battles. Rewards ONE Soviet container.

2) Get 35 Captured or Assisted in Capture ribbons or ships destroyed.  Modes as above. Rewards ONE Soviet container.

3) Shoot down 20 aircraft (with own AA guns or fighter consumables). Modes as above. Awards TWO November Echo Setteseven signals.

4) Spot (i.e. be first to detect) 50 torpedoes. Modes as above. Awards TWO November Foxtrot signals.

5) Earn 4 million credits. Random, ranked, co-op, scenario, submarine or clan battles. Awards ONE Soviet container.

6) Earn 95,000 ship XP. Modes as for Task 5. Awards TWO Soviet containers. Playing to the 3rd container every night will guarantee this task in 3 nights. 

7) In MIKOYAN or OCHAKOV in Random or Co-op battles, destroy 5 ships. Awards 500 coal.

8) In MIKOYAN or BAGRATION, in Random or Co-op battles, receive 5.5 million potential damage. Awards 100,000 credits.

9) IN ONE BATTLE, in ships of tier SIX or above, get 180 secondary battery hits (Random, Ranked ONLY). Awards one Leviathan flag.

10) IN ONE BATTLE, in ships of tier SIX or above, cause 190,000 damage to ships. Awards one Port Slot.

GENERAL NOTES: This is a directive that seems to favour destroyers and light cruisers, which will be the first to push forward, contest and take capture points, and encounter destroyer and cruiser torpedoes.  Depending on what you have available, you should choose your ships appropriately. The ships-destroyed alternative is to give an alternative to the battleships and carriers, which do not take caps anywhere near as often as the smaller ships. Even so, don't rule it out if the bots in your nearest cap are all dead. Getting this many kills and caps is definitely more easily done in co-op, but it still boils down to only 5 a night. It should be noted that aircraft are not as much of a threat in co-op, and enterprising DD players who push up to contest and take caps might end up adding to their plane-kill totals quite easily in this mode. 95,000 ship XP can look frightening but it boils down to about 13,600 XP a day, which is not so scary. 4 million credits is 571429 a night (with rounding up), and that's before service costs are taken off. 24.5 million potential damage also looks frightening, but it's about 3.5 million per night, and it's not that hard to accumulate a million PD in a single BATTLE if you're shot at a lot but not hit quite as much.

DIRECTIVE 3: Opens 25th May, with seven days before Directive 4 opens. Complete ANY FIVE tasks to receive TEN Soviet Containers.

1) In 15 battles, join the top 3 among BOTH teams in experience received (Random, Ranked, Co-op, subs). Awards ONE Soviet container.

2) Get 125 Set On Fire or Torpedo Hit ribbons. Modes as for mission 1. Awards ONE Soviet container.

3) Get 30 Incapacitations ribbons, modes as above. Awards 2 November Foxtrot signals.

4) Get 30 destroyed or Citadel Hits ribbons, modes as above; awards 2 Juliet Charlie signals.

5) Earn 4.7 million credits. Random, co-op, ranked, subs, clan or scenario battles. Awards ONE Soviet container.

6) Earn 180,000 COMMANDER XP. Modes as for Mission 5. Awards TWO Soviet Containers.

7) In OCHAKOV, earn 300 main battery hits ribbons. Random or co-op only. Awards 100,000 credits.

8) In MIKOYAN or BAGRATION, get 10 destroyed or Citadel ribbons. Random and co-op. Awards one Victory 1-shot camo.

9) In ONE Random or Ranked battle, get 500 main battery hit ribbons, Ships of TIER SEVEN or higher. Awards 2 Wyvern flags.

10) In ONE Random or Ranked Battle, earn 2500 Base XP. Ships of Tier SEVEN or higher. Awards 2 Ouroboros flags.

11) In ONE Random or Ranked Battle, receive 3.5 Million potential damage. Awards one Type 59 flag.

GENERAL NOTES: With missions calling for citadel hits, torpedo hits and fire starting, this directive is once again the province of fast-firing light cruisers and destroyers (and light cruisers ARE the theme of the patch). Incapacitation ribbons can most easily be farmed against enemy destroyers by destroyers and light cruisers, breaking guns, torpedoes, engines and rudders, but bigger ships aren't immune to rudder or engine breakage if they take a torpedo or gun salvo in the wrong place. Look for mid-tier light cruisers offering broadsides to farm citadel hit ribbons, which if you are very close in can be done with destroyer guns. Omaha-class cruisers can be citadelled straight through the bows if you aim right. If you do very well in co-op battles, it's not hard to make the top three. 180,000 commander XP seems a huge task, but if you can do the first five before Directive 4 begins, you can continue to work on this one automatically in the background.

DIRECTIVE FOUR: Opens 1 June 2020. Unlike the others, you strictly have seven days only to complete this. Likely any FIVE missions will be needed to receive TWELVE Soviet containers and a special "Soviet" Permacamo for the cruiser Mikoyan.

1) Cause 2.1 million damage to enemy ships. Random, coop, Sub or Ranked battles. Awards ONE Soviet container.

2) Get 36 destroyed ribbons, 4 modes as above. Awards 1 Soviet container.

3) Get 12 defended ribbons. 4 modes as above. Awards 5 x India Xray flags.

4) Help your team do 120,000 damage on your spotting. 4 modes as above. Awards 5 x India Delta flags.

5) Earn 6.1 Million credits. Randoms, ranked, co-op, subs, clan or scenario battles. Awards 1 x Soviet container.

6) Earn 150,000 ship XP. Randoms, Ranked, co-op, subs, clan or scenario battles.  Awards 2 x Soviet containers.

7) In OCHAKOV, Random or co-op battles, earn 2.1 Million credits. Awards 150,000 credits.

8) In BAGRATION, in Random or co-op battles, earn 6000 base XP. Awards 2 Victory camos.

9) In one RANDOM battle, in Tier EIGHT ships or higher, cause 215,000 damage. Awards 1 x Type 59 camo.

10) In one RANDOM battle, in Tier EIGHT ships or higher, earn 2600 Base XP. Awards 1 x Port Slot.

11) In one RANDOM battle, in Tier EIGHT ships or higher, get 10 Incapacitation ribbons.  Awards 1 each of Basilisk, Hydra and Yellow Dragon flags.

GENERAL NOTES: Everything here depends on how quickly you accumulate the spotting damage. As a destroyer or light cruiser captain, push forward and scout for your team. Spotting damage is calculated on the damage your team-mates do because you are providing them with vision on the target. Imagine that you are not there; could they still see the target? If not, the damage they are doing will be spotting damage. I'm not going to lie; this directive will be challenging to newcomers, and some of you may not get all the containers. The XP task is about 21,500 XP a night over seven nights, and it requires persistence and application, especially in co-op. The upside is that the damage and defence-ribbon tasks should fall easily.

Like the first directive, this is one of those curious ones that someone with a T8 ship could technically finish in one absolutely awe-inspiring, once-in-a-blue-moon battle. 

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 6
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,204 posts
14,348 battles

DATA FROM NIGHT ONE: 

I played for a little over three hours and got the 1 million damage, 400 hits and 12 spots tasks done. The event container I unlocked with the million-damage mission had 15 tokens. 

I finished the spotting task by taking out the Lexington twice in co-op. CV service costs have been reduced, but I came home in the red - barely - both times despite permacamo, because in the first battle I lost a lot of aircraft to high-tier flak and in the second I kept missing with Tiny Tims. A small price to pay for getting that mission done.

For spamming citadel hits and torpedoes in co-op, I used a variety of cruisers, including the Hipper, Minotaur and Neptune. Lower-tier players who have a Konigsberg or Nurnberg should consider giving that a go; fully buffed, they have two torp launchers on each side (as does the Yorck), and their guns are capable against other light cruisers. British light cruisers are good for citadels, but they don't have as many torpedo launchers.

Destroyers are good for torpedo hits, as are carriers (except Indomitable, which doesn't have torpedo planes), but I was trying to work on the Strong-Willed campaign and there is no co-op DD or CV task for the stage I'm currently on, hence my concentration on cruisers. If the campaign hadn't been on my agenda, I might have spammed various destroyers for the main battery hits and the torpedoes.

Smolensk was of course my go-to for the four hundred hit mission, but that was more a matter of getting as much of it out of the way as possible in one shot. I would easily have achieved that over the course of the night even without the Smolensk, and unless you're using nothing but battleships, it shouldn't be more than a one-night task.

I have the cits and torps mission and the credits mission about half done, the base XP mission one-third complete. As I need only two tasks to finish, I will now switch back to Randoms for the Strong-Willed campaign and let the credits and base XP accumulate toward the finish. The cits/torps aspect is less critical and can happen whenever it does.

I anticipate having Directive 2's missions posted up tonight or tomorrow, and the rest of them over the weekend. Sorry again for not being able to post it all in one hit; I had a couple of unexpected tasks thrust upon me last night that took nearly three hours out of the evening, and I needed to get some play in to check theory against practice.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,204 posts
14,348 battles
22 hours ago, chrisope said:

Thanks for the insight E_C

You're welcome.

DATA FROM NIGHT 2:

Credit and Citadel/Torpedo missions done, Directive complete. For me, Minotaur was the go-to because I was grinding the Unique Upgrade and the dailies were handing out lots of 1000 Free XP that counts as part of ship winnings. Used the Jutland in those parts of the dailies that handed out ship XP, because I want the B hull ASAP, and finished off the last few torpedo hits with carriers because I wanted to see what post-battle costs were like after the patch adjustments. 

Between Twitch and Directive crates, I'm up to 100 tokens. 

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1

[--K--]
Supertester
1,227 posts
11,218 battles

This topic has better UI than in game. Because you have discovered the comma. 

• Funny 3

[ARGSY]
Members
20,204 posts
14,348 battles
Just now, GandalfTehGray said:

Because you have discovered the comma. 

I misplaced one of those commas last night; only caught it this morning!

[ARGSY]
Members
20,204 posts
14,348 battles

DIRECTIVE 2, DAY 1:

It was a public holiday in Canada today, and because my family was visiting grandma (in compliance with provincial COVID regulations, please note) and the weather was awful, I had all of it to grind. And I did grind. And it is done.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,204 posts
14,348 battles

A relatively free evening to sit down and grind coupled with the Mikoyan in port led to getting three out of five tasks out of the way - kills/citadels (general), kills/citadels (Mikoyan), incapacitation ribbons.

About halfway through fires and torps, just under halfway through credits, less so on commander XP and top-three finishes. I need to dip back into mid-tier co-op to get that last one finished, then it's back to high tier randoms to keep working the Jerzy Swirski missions. Trying to find ship combinations that will tackle both is difficult ATM. 

[ARGSY]
Members
20,204 posts
14,348 battles

Fires/torps and the cash grind done; I am a happy camper with Directive 3 fulfilled. 

The only thing left to do, that isn't either "all in one battle" or involving premium ships I don't have (and don't want!), is the commander XP mission... and that will finish itself off in due course.

The 150,000 XP mission in directive 4 is going to be on the grindy side because I have to get it all done in seven days; that's 21,500 XP a night to be sure of that one. I'm currently just over halfway to the Tallinn permacamo; I'd REALLY like to try to get there if I possibly can.

[TDG]
Members
1,810 posts
12,947 battles

Finished the last Crate Task of Directive 3 last night.

I'm as ready as I can be for Directive 4.

I'm  3 Stars from unlocking the Final Task of Mission 4 of the Swirski Campaign.

I'm still completing UU missions, so most of the ships I'm playing make some progress on at least one of the Tasks from that Campaign.

Other than the Token Missions, I have only the potential damage Task left for Mikoyan.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,204 posts
14,348 battles
1 minute ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

Other than the Token Missions, I have only the potential damage Task left for Mikoyan.

Seeing as Mikoyan does not bring any actual containers for her directive tasks, I'm ignoring them except when I play her for tokens. My directive play is goal-focused; complete everything which finishes directives and gets me containers, and ignore the rest.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,204 posts
14,348 battles

Directive 4, Day 1:

After a bit of a warm-up, a lot of battleship play was undertaken to advance the Strong-Willed campaign. Had the hilarious experience of getting a citadel hit on a Bismarck with the Vladivostok, at what for the stock Vlad is fairly long range. I'm guessing it came in at just the right angle to strike the turtleback close to perpendicular and go through.

Completed the 12 base defence ribbons and the spotting damage task. Just over halfway through the credits, the damage and the kills.  About 35% done with the XP task.

I'm not going to deny that having nearly 3 years experience, a full port and premium time is making this a lot easier for me than it would be for a Tier 5 newcomer.

[ANK-A]
Members
1,054 posts
9,862 battles

Here's everything I wish I knew about the directives....

Just opened 15 containers and every last one of them had 5 tokens.

I wouldn't have wasted my time getting the 4th directive done today.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,204 posts
14,348 battles
10 hours ago, YouSatInGum said:

Just opened 15 containers and every last one of them had 5 tokens.

If you open all the containers you're guaranteed the Mikoyan (for what little that's worth). Anything else is gravy.

I know they're trying to juggle how they do things to find the happy medium, and that's fine - lack of will to innovate = death, after all - but IMHO they found it in the Italian Cruisers event and they should seriously consider going back to that.

[TOBA]
Members
17 posts
3,158 battles

So now that some people have finished, what are the stats for the Soviet - Mikoyan camo?

Same at the Type 9 - Mikoyan ?

[ARGSY]
Members
20,204 posts
14,348 battles
9 hours ago, BitCrushed said:

So now that some people have finished, what are the stats for the Soviet - Mikoyan camo?

Same at the Type 9 - Mikoyan ?

Yep. It's bling; nothing more. If they sold it separately, there would be no functional reason for you to buy it.

I finished the Directives last night - that is, I completed the minimum five and got the 12 boxes and the Mikoyan Soviet camo. Between these and the Mikoyan's token mission and various Twitch drops, I also picked up enough tokens for the Tallinn permacamo. Not having to buy permacamo for her is worth a saving of 3000 dubs. I think I've got two more free boxes I can get for this event - from the 150,000 XP mission - but unless BOTH of those drop 300 tokens (unlikely), I'm not going to have enough to get the Tallinn herself and I won't pay for it. I would have paid if I were just a few tokens short and the next prize up had been a permacamo, because the input would be less than the permacamo is worth and made the deal a net profit, but not for a tech tree ship.

Members
3,115 posts
6,714 battles

This last directive has a lot of econ grind tasks for crates, so I am taking the slow and steady route and just letting progress accrue as I struggle from rank 3 to rank 1. Which... might take a while, but I'll almost certainly finish the directive first. Two of five tasks done, and most of the crate reward tasks are about 66%-75% done. 

Unfortunately it's hard to grind so many mutually exclusive things at once, so the Swirski campaign is on hold for now halfway through the fourth mission.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,204 posts
14,348 battles
21 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

Unfortunately it's hard to grind so many mutually exclusive things at once,

You can do the directives and Ranked together or you can do the directives and Jerzy together, but you cannot do all three simultaneously (nor ignore the directives and prioritize Ranked plus Jerzy). If only they'd put Ranked at T8 or allowed the Blyskawica for the Euro DD tasks...

I chose to sacrifice Ranked. There's nothing I want there which can't be had from the PTS (flags and camos); any steel ships I wanted have been pulled and will return for coal, which I'm content to mine at the prevailing crate rates (I seem to pull an above-average number of doubles and triples; WG's compensation for never having got a ship in a supercontainer, perhaps?).

Even then, I dipped back into Co-op for things like farming defence ribbons and getting kills. A really good co-op game can net quite a lot of credits if you kill enough of the right ships.

Right now, with everything off the table except ship XP (and that over half done), I'm going into hardcore Jerzy farming mode. With the Audacious in my port, it's not hard to farm ten or more torps and spottings in the same battle. Lather, rinse, repeat. Before you know it, you've got a hundred and picked up another star. If I'm not sailing her, I can spam BBs that I'm grinding (e.g. Amagi towards Izumo, Vlad towards her B hull) for the potential damage. I currently have BB potential damage, T9/10 captain XP and T9/10 torps and spotting ribbons running on their repeat iterations. That will net me four stars, which will unlock the final task. I could have this whole thing done before 0.9.5 drops, and even if I don't, that final 10K BXP task is open to ALL Tier 8+ ships in any mode. It will complete very quickly on its own.

Jerzy gets set aside until I have Oland in my port, which will be one of my grind goals during the Odin event.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[CO-OP]
Members
1,498 posts
24,775 battles

Without paying any attention at all to it I finished the 4th directive this morning. The directives left incomplete are the ones that are a bit long winded, use modes I'm not interested in, or have ships I have no intention of forking over cash to get.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,204 posts
14,348 battles

And I am done. No more free containers to get, unless I missed a Twitch mission somewhere (probably did, LOL). Still just under 300 away from the Tallinn, and if the big trove of tokens had been first in the list I might have bought it. Alas, RNG did not turn out that way for me.

Can't be too disappointed. I got a T5 premium cruiser and a free T8 permacamo out of it; and if RNGesus doesn't find a way to bless me with more free tokens before they cash out, I will spend them on one-shot camos.