Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lert

Question about the new Novorossiysk port

28 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,811 posts
21,758 battles

bm4emEr.jpg

- Why are these ships' smoke plumes angled like they're going full speed?

- Why is that forward ship rolling coal?

VSIOsc8.jpg

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,270 posts
8 minutes ago, Mawz77 said:

Wind?

My guess.

@Lert

The New York class was coal fired in WWI.

600px-USS_New_York-1.jpg

Some older WW2 ships used coal burning steam turbines (Rankine cycle) but these tended to give off too much smoke, lack top end speed, and require high maintenance on large scale models.  All top ranked battleships used the before mentioned oil burning steam turbines. R. Bourne, Minor in Military History in College (post on a military history forum)

Edited by Snargfargle

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,811 posts
21,758 battles
6 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

The New York class was coal fired in WWI

A lot of ships were coal fired, but that isn't a New York. Looks more like a freighter of sorts, but not one I recognise. Not that that says much ...

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,270 posts
1 minute ago, Lert said:

A lot of ships were coal fired, but that isn't a New York. Looks more like a freighter of sorts, but not one I recognise. Not that that says much ...

Yes, sorry -- I was just mentioning that during the era of the game that some of the warships and support ships were still coal-fired even through WWII. Let me see if I can find out what that specific ship is.

[12TF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,261 posts
4 minutes ago, Lert said:

Err, that's the NY picture literally from the NY wikipedia article.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_New_York_(BB-34)

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,811 posts
21,758 battles
Just now, Snargfargle said:

Yes, sorry -- I was just mentioning that during the era of the game that some of the warships and support ships were still coal-fired even through WWII.

Entirely fair point in and of itself. :)

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,811 posts
21,758 battles
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

Err, that's the NY picture literally from the NY wikipedia article.

The ship with black smoke in my OP is neither a New York nor from Wikipedia. It's a freighter of some sort.

[12TF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,261 posts
Just now, Lert said:

The ship with black smoke in my OP is neither a New York nor from Wikipedia. It's a freighter of some sort.

Oh I thought you meant the picture he posted. :Smile_veryhappy:

Members
12,615 posts
14,320 battles
4 minutes ago, Lert said:

Remember Russians were trying to technologically catch up with the world leading up to WWII. So it would not surprise me at all to learn they still used coal fired ships up into WWII.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,270 posts
Just now, Lert said:

As far as I've gotten is that Britain liked coal-fired ships early on because they had easier access to coal than oil. They sent a lot of ships to Russia around that time, as did the US, both to Russia and Britain. Of course, this could be a Russian or Soviet-build ship too. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,811 posts
21,758 battles
2 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

As far as I've gotten is that Britain liked coal-fired ships early on because they had easier access to coal than oil. They sent a lot of ships to Russia around that time, as did the US, both to Russia and Britain. Of course, this could be a Russian or Soviet-build ship too. 

Yeah, and freighter design followed a loose set of rules making them all look vaguely similar. Plus WG could just have built "Generic coal fired Freighter #16" rather than a specific ship.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
8,343 posts
6,186 battles
30 minutes ago, Lert said:

I guess:

• You have some wicked winds blowing from the steppes. 
  • Kuban coal mines and Gulag slave workers provide cheap and abundant coal

Members
165 posts
6,168 battles
43 minutes ago, Lert said:

I think a better question is: Do the flags and signals point in the same direction as the smoke?

Edited by Baritone4

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
814 posts
6,359 battles
43 minutes ago, Lert said:

VSIOsc8.jpg

Points for the rat rod!

Edited by SkullCowboy_60

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,393 posts

that freighter design has been in every naval/sub game I have ever played i think... and then some...  likely some flight sims too

[PHD]
Members
1,931 posts
7,441 battles
3 hours ago, Lert said:

bm4emEr.jpg

I am going to assume that there is an onshore breeze, check to see if your ships flags are streaming in the same direction. (If WG modeled it)

The front ship may be a coal burner that is getting up steam preparing to leave port. The one in back may be just running one boiler to run the generators and other ship's machinery. If you see some pictures in Drachinifel's Youtube videos some of the battleships at Scapa Flow have a light haze comming out of one stack for that reason.

[PHD]
Members
1,931 posts
7,441 battles
3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Coal is a much older power source than oil. There were coal fired ships in the early 1800s before that some used wood, mostly river boats. All steam engines need is a heat source and people just used what they had and what was cheapest. That is why there are coal fired electric power plants even now.

Then, and now (well maybe not right now considering the oil glut), oil cost more and the supply was more limited and oil needed, for the most part, refining.

Oil may be more energy dense than coal and it is easier to refuel and ships need fewer crew to feed the boilers.

Drachinifel has a video on Youtube about naval boilers that is rather interesting, if you are into such things.

:cap_hmm:As a bit of trivia, there is a cruiser in the game that had coal bunkers to store coal but the ship's boilers were designed for oil and the coal was not meant to be used as fuel.

Edited by GrayPanther2018
correction

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,270 posts
Just now, GrayPanther2018 said:

Coal is a much older power source than oil.

Coal was on its way out for use in ships around the time of WWI, though three were a few holdovers up to WWII. Lert is right, however, that the cargo ship in the port appears to be burning coal from the plumes of black smoke. I've still been unable to determine if it's a representative of an actual ship or, as has been said "generic coal-fired cargo ship model 16."

I've never seen anything that actually actively burned coal other than coal-fired power plants but my Dad has. When he was in the Army he rode to Basic Training on a coal-fired train. He said that the soot got into everything. When he was stationed in Germany, the barracks were still heated with coal too. 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,270 posts
6 minutes ago, StoptheViolins said:

Why are the ships boilers fired up in port? 

May be heading out.

[NONE]
Members
3,894 posts
12,107 battles
4 hours ago, Lert said:

Air does that, whether relative (ship moving) or ambient (weather).

The stinkpot up front is either burning Bunker Charlie with too little forced draft or the BT's are blowing tubes.

• Cool 1

[NONE]
Members
3,894 posts
12,107 battles
1 hour ago, StoptheViolins said:

Why are the ships boilers fired up in port? 

Steaming auxiliary. If port services are not available they have to make their own electricity and keep the pumps running.

Or they could just be raising steam to get under way, or securing after mooring. It takes hours to raise steam and secure marine boilers.

Edited by So_lt_Goes
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this