Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
USS_Taylor_Swift

One of the dumbest radar mechanics that still hasn't changed

34 comments in this topic

Members
1,363 posts
1,286 battles

Talking about in cyclones. Vision is limited to 8km spotting range. If your teammates spot targets outside of your 8km range, they show up on the map yet not on screen for you to shoot at. But a radar ship can radar and not just spot you on the map outside of 8km but also on screen, so they can fire on you while you're basically defenseless to return fire. This is one of the dumbest and most logically inconsistent mechanics in the game.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 7

Members
58 posts
1,585 battles

Which also happens to exist in real life.

That's actually one of the few aspects of RADAR in the game that actually matches real-world performance of RADAR.

• Cool 3

Members
1,363 posts
1,286 battles
2 minutes ago, Mawz77 said:

Which also happens to exist in real life.

That's actually one of the few aspects of RADAR in the game that actually matches real-world performance of RADAR.

When in real life in low visibility weather does radar make a ship physically visible? It doesn't.

• Cool 3

Members
1,363 posts
1,286 battles
4 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

3ekTE3M.gif

I'm not the one who brought up "real life" or saying it should be like a sim. It should have mechanics which are consistent with the other mechanics in the game. If I can't physically see ships beyond 8km, even if my teammates have them spotted, why should radar let me physically see ships past that range? Are Worcesters, Des Moines, Stalins, etc. underpowered and need such an unbalanced advantage (especially at short range)?

Edited by USS_Taylor_Swift
  • Cool 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts
24 minutes ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

I'm not the one who brought up "real life" or saying it should be like a sim. It should have mechanics which are consistent with the other mechanics in the game. If I can't physically see ships beyond 8km, even if my teammates have them spotted, why should radar let me physically see ships past that range? Are Worcesters, Des Moines, Stalins, etc. underpowered and need such an unbalanced advantage (especially at short range)?

the entire game uses skewed spotting mechanics you can "see" ships the other side of an island just because a teammate can....

this empowers all the HE firespam island humping...

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,467 posts
6,536 battles
12 minutes ago, SKurj said:

the entire game uses skewed spotting mechanics you can "see" ships the other side of an island just because a teammate can....

this empowers all the HE firespam island humping...

IMO spotting in game isn't actually suppose to represent line of sight vision... just an accurate target-able location.  Centralized fire control systems were a thing.     Even prior to the 60s & computers...    While I'd say in this game they stretch a good bit beyond actual years and into some nations that didn't have the technology.     The reality of pre-computerized naval fire control systems of the eras of this game  they were quite impressive. And substantial visual systems to correct gunfire were developed.. Including directing gunfire from other allied ships and planes. Once the radio was developed  one ship with an advantageous  position could direct fire control for multiple ships to target, even flag signals were used to do this.        All that being said.  The time compression of WOWS matches requires a ton more accuracy than naval vessels of most of the tiers of this game had in order to speed up pace of play.   At many of the tiers we play, IRL  ships could go hours and hours without actually hitting each other. 

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts
1 hour ago, iRA6E said:

IMO spotting in game isn't actually suppose to represent line of sight vision... just an accurate target-able location.  Centralized fire control systems were a thing.     Even prior to the 60s & computers...    While I'd say in this game they stretch a good bit beyond actual years and into some nations that didn't have the technology.     The reality of pre-computerized naval fire control systems of the eras of this game  they were quite impressive. And substantial visual systems to correct gunfire were developed.. Including directing gunfire from other allied ships and planes. Once the radio was developed  one ship with an advantageous  position could direct fire control for multiple ships to target, even flag signals were used to do this.        All that being said.  The time compression of WOWS matches requires a ton more accuracy than naval vessels of most of the tiers of this game had in order to speed up pace of play.   At many of the tiers we play, IRL  ships could go hours and hours without actually hitting each other. 

of course it isn't, agreed

I'd like to see a game mode where you can only see and shoot at opponents you have LOS to...   

[SALVO]
Members
4,501 posts
3,829 battles
1 hour ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

Talking about in cyclones. Vision is limited to 8km spotting range. If your teammates spot targets outside of your 8km range, they show up on the map yet not on screen for you to shoot at. But a radar ship can radar and not just spot you on the map outside of 8km but also on screen, so they can fire on you while you're basically defenseless to return fire. This is one of the dumbest and most logically inconsistent mechanics in the game.

I pay your cyclone Radar and raise my cyclone Bombers

[-1]
Members
697 posts
9,964 battles
1 hour ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

I thought it's about indestructible radars. Why I can damage turrets, top launchers, propulsion and rudder but never radar or hydro? That's total nonsense.

[CYNIC]
Members
2,638 posts
6,217 battles
2 hours ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

When in real life in low visibility weather does radar make a ship physically visible? It doesn't.

To the fire control system it does and that's really all that matters ---

[HINON]
Members
13,286 posts
1 hour ago, dimzzy said:

You cannot damage any consumables.

Members
1,363 posts
1,286 battles
1 hour ago, CV_Jeebies said:

To the fire control system it does and that's really all that matters ---

game doesn't allow aimbotting

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles
1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

You cannot damage any consumables.

I can knock out your engine boost by knocking out your engine. 

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles
4 hours ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

This is far from " the dumbest and most logically inconsistent mechanics in the game". We have mechanics that, when exploited to their fullest, provide a cloaking device for some ships. No DD could slip within 5 miles undetected by another warship in the era this game is set in. The Japanese even had radar, although it was inferior to radar of other nations. While DD drivers do have an argument about radar "seeing through islands" the fact is this is a small price to pay for the concealment (cloaking) mechanics DD's have at their disposal.

Please do not start with the "its for game balance". I understand this. All I am saying is it makes the game very arcadish. It would have been much better for the game had WG found a different way to balance the ships classes.

[NEMO]
Members
129 posts
11,268 battles
5 hours ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

Bad as that may be, I have more of a problem with planes which can still fly and spot during a cyclone.

[KERMT]
Members
1,009 posts

Don't fight the mechanic, make it work for you. 

Members
1,363 posts
1,286 battles
8 minutes ago, Salvo_Creative said:

Don't fight the mechanic, make it work for you. 

Enlighten me, how should one use the enemy's radar in a cyclone to their own advantage?

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles

Bot teammates in coops causing friendly fire damage has to be the dumbest thing. There is no excuse for WG being too lazy to fix this flaw.

Members
1,363 posts
1,286 battles
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

Bot teammates in coops causing friendly fire damage has to be the dumbest thing. There is no excuse for WG being too lazy to fix this flaw.

title of the thread is dumbest radar mechanic. Stop trying to derail with pointless other topics

[BOTES]
Members
28 posts
3,518 battles

I can only assume WG are aware of this problem because in the last CB sprint they made the cyclone spotting distance 12km so radar ships couldn't radar and fire with impunity.

Members
323 posts
2,954 battles
7 hours ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

Tell that to IJN Kirishima

This machanic is fine

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles
42 minutes ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

title of the thread is dumbest radar mechanic. Stop trying to derail with pointless other topics

Well EXCUSE me for pointing mechanics that actually qualify as dumb.

Also the fact still remains what you are calling "the dumbest and most logically inconsistent mechanics in the game" is one of the most believable aspects of radar. While early radar was hampered by heavy rain but radar technology did progress and radar negated using bad weather as cover  in naval warfare.

Members
323 posts
2,954 battles
13 hours ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

Why do you think so?

1) cyclones aren't all that common (at least for me.) 

2) usually half the team, and half the radar ships are dead by the time the cyclone is in effect.

3) as far as I'm aware, only the radar ship can see you and not the whole enemy team.

There is a conversation to be had about if a particular ship or nation's radar is overpowered, but that's a different conversation.

Sign in to follow this