You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RYANMK48

Mikoyan Initial Impressions

59 comments in this topic

[NGA]
Members
128 posts
7,112 battles

When I got the update this morning I was surprised to find that the first two purchases in the Armory under Soviet Cruisers were 150 Soviet tokens each. So for the equivalent of $4.00 I could get 300 tokens which I immediately spent on the Mikoyan (Thank you WG). I’ve taken her out 3 times and so far I’m pretty unimpressed. She has 6 guns versus the 9 of the ship she replaced and her rate of fire is abysmal (sorry mistake on my part she isn’t the Kirov replacement at the Ensign points out, but still a good comparison - thanks for the correction). On the plus side the guns are darn good. I could citadel a slightly angled Myoko at 13 klicks with no problem. The HE is the typically unimpressive Russian HE and with IFHE (so I can pen higher tier BBs) it’s fire starting chances are limited at best. All of this makes it a mehbote to borrow @LittleWhiteMouse’s phrase. However, its armor is a total joke. I took citadels/heavy damage from every angle possible. In fact I would suggest that WG just remove all armor so AP shells won’t fuse, I’d take less damage that way (yes, I’m being sarcastic). Top tier she is a mediocre ship with decent guns. Bottom tier she’s just a way for the red team to increase their damage. I’m not complaining, getting a new ship for $4 isn’t too bad, but I think she is a poor replacement for the Kirov and as soon as the directives are done she will be a port queen for me.

I’ll be interested to hear if anyone has differing opinions and why.

Edited by RYANMK48
Error

[ARGSY]
Members
19,977 posts
14,258 battles
2 minutes ago, RYANMK48 said:

She has 6 guns versus the 9 of the ship she replaced

Kotovsky is the tech-tree replacement for the Kirov (which will soon become a T5 premium in her own right).

Mikoyan is a stand-alone premium.

I'll be holding out to see if I can get her for free in the event, but apart from that one little slip, your findings are pertinent and I'll keep them in mind when I first sail in her.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1

[-KAK-]
Members
136 posts
6,482 battles

IFHE is wasted considering you're dealing with 180mm guns giving 30mm pen. Looking at T7 BBS, The armor that you can't pen, you also wouldn't be able to pen even with IFHE. 

Any T5 cruiser is going to get overmatched by most BBs at the tier, exclusions being some ships with 203mm guns.

Her HP seems unfortunately low for the tier, but with range at that tier kiting should keep you alive.

Granted I haven't played her, but seems like your standard freebie premium from events

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,702 posts
1 hour ago, RYANMK48 said:

When I got the update this morning I was surprised to find that the first two purchases in the Armory under Soviet Cruisers were 150 Soviet tokens each. So for the equivalent of $4.00 I could get 300 tokens which I immediately spent on the Mikoyan (Thank you WG). I’ve taken her out 3 times and so far I’m pretty unimpressed. She has 6 guns versus the 9 of the ship she replaced and her rate of fire is abysmal (sorry mistake on my part she isn’t the Kirov replacement at the Ensign points out, but still a good comparison - thanks for the correction). On the plus side the guns are darn good. I could citadel a slightly angled Myoko at 13 klicks with no problem. The HE is the typically unimpressive Russian HE and with IFHE (so I can pen higher tier BBs) it’s fire starting chances are limited at best. All of this makes it a mehbote to borrow @LittleWhiteMouse’s phrase. However, its armor is a total joke. I took citadels/heavy damage from every angle possible. In fact I would suggest that WG just remove all armor so AP shells won’t fuse, I’d take less damage that way (yes, I’m being sarcastic). Top tier she is a mediocre ship with decent guns. Bottom tier she’s just a way for the red team to increase their damage. I’m not complaining, getting a new ship for $4 isn’t too bad, but I think she is a poor replacement for the Kirov and as soon as the directives are done she will be a port queen for me.

The blurb in game makes the ship sound like a bog-standard Soviet tech tree cruiser (I know, it's premium, not the point)... which would make spending Tokens on it a waste of my time, something I'd only do to get to Tallin.  

[NGA]
Members
128 posts
7,112 battles

Just an update after 7 more games, the Mikoyan is garbage unless its top tier and then its only meh at best.  Its best use is to hunt other Mikoyans and citadel them before they citadel you. I’ve changed my mind, it would have been better to use the tokens to buy something, anything else.  Also, IFHE is just not worth it on this ship. Sorry for the whine, but after taking multiple citadels from cruisers, even when well angled, I’m slight ticked off. 

Hopefully other players will do better than I did. 

• Cool 2

Members
829 posts
5,746 battles
3 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

The blurb in game makes the ship sound like a bog-standard Soviet tech tree cruiser (I know, it's premium, not the point)... which would make spending Tokens on it a waste of my time, something I'd only do to get to Tallin.  

Yeah but the “packs” are sequential, yes? So Mikoyan first, then Tallim perma, then Tallim, etc

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,702 posts
7 minutes ago, KnifeInUrNeck said:

Yeah but the “packs” are sequential, yes? So Mikoyan first, then Tallim perma, then Tallim, etc

Sadly, yes. 

Members
829 posts
5,746 battles

She does seem confused and she’s certainly not my style of play. With only 6 guns and meh dispersion it’s like the guns were designed for mid range. It cleans clocks at mid with AP. Even at range it can cit but the lack of guns mean you’ll get a 5k cit every few salvos if the target doesn’t decide to start angling better. So farm at range with HE and pray for fires or use AP and pray for cits. I would absolutely play this ship closer to mid range even with poor health if the mobility wasn’t so disgusting. I do believe if she ever gets up to top speed she can be pretty quick but I could drop a number 2 while I wait for it to transition from reverse to forward. It’s a cruiser not an island?! Hit it’s health or hit it’s speed but not both or give it more guns but right now this ship feels gimped. Island camping and team smoke could make it work but I’ll got back to playing something faster.

Edited by KnifeInUrNeck

Members
58 posts
1,481 battles
1 minute ago, KnifeInUrNeck said:

She does seem confused and she’s certainly not my style of play. With only 6 guns and meh dispersion it’s like the guns were designed for mid range. It cleans clocks at mid with AP. Even at range it can cit but the lack of guns mean you’ll get a 5k cit every few salvos if the target doesn’t decide to start angling better. So farm at range with HE and pray for fires or use AP and pray for cits. I would absolutely play this ship closer to mid range even with poor health if the mobility wasn’t so disgusting. I do believe if she ever gets up to top speed she can be pretty quick but I could drop a number 2 while I wait for it to transition from reverse to forward. It’s a cruiser not an island?! Hit it’s health or hit it’s speed or give it more guns but right now this ship feels gimped. Island camping and team smoke could make it work but I’ll got back to playing something faster.

That sounds a lot like the Kirov.

Members
829 posts
5,746 battles
33 minutes ago, Mawz77 said:

That sounds a lot like the Kirov.

I actually prefer the Kirov as it seems to turn better. I’ll try a few more games and then mothball her.

[DAS]
Members
971 posts
8,112 battles
7 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

The blurb in game makes the ship sound like a bog-standard Soviet tech tree cruiser (I know, it's premium, not the point)... which would make spending Tokens on it a waste of my time, something I'd only do to get to Tallin

I don't disagree with that, but if we don't get enough tokens to get something better, we might as well get the Mikoyan. Also, you won't get it in a Christmas crate if you already have it.

• Cool 2

Members
58 posts
1,481 battles
16 hours ago, KnifeInUrNeck said:

I actually prefer the Kirov as it seems to turn better. I’ll try a few more games and then mothball her.

I got the Mikoyan, and find it feels pretty much exactly like a Kirov.

That won't be so bad once Kirov is a premium, but right now it's just funny.

[ARGSY]
Members
19,977 posts
14,258 battles

This is beginning to sound like the most unnecessary cruiser ever. She's not even for sale outside the mega-bundle, and rightly so IMHO.

If you're new to the game and you start right now, you can almost certainly get to the Kirov before she becomes a premium (and you should). 

I'm not one to knock a free premium but I feel she should have been the reward for Directive 4, with her Soviet camo given out at Directive 3, and all the other bundles should have been indexed accordingly in the Armory.

• Cool 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,702 posts

I have no problem with premium ships being added to the game for people who want/like the specific ship.  

But it's really a shame that a throwaway premium is a mandatory acquisition at the start of the "ladder" to get to the interesting ships like Tallinn.  

• Cool 1

[FBSD]
Members
1 post
25,904 battles

T6 guns and T4 armor.  Slow reload.  Can't brawl a DD.  With the 16.5 range gun bloom you can't even hide.  Put a 19pt capt on her for a minute.  Forget about getting close enough for torps. LOL  whole new meaning to the term glass cannon.  I licked all the sugar off for the tokens.  C'mon Christmas for the snowflake.

Edited by nitetrane98cpears
  • Cool 1

[CAP]
Members
338 posts
15,078 battles
On 5/13/2020 at 8:42 AM, RYANMK48 said:

This is in line with my experience with her as well.  The guns feel great and are easy to use but you can't take a hit.  Run a CoOP game and find yourself on the other team and see how easy it is to blap the same ship with your 180MM AP.  Rudder feels good as well but everything else is in the bad category.  AA is meh at best. Armor is paper at any angle to a T5 BB.  You would think that this means you should be hiding behind an island but your great guns shoot low and fast so you can barely shoot over a molehill.

[IXM]
Members
1,060 posts

Of course WG is going to make this ship nothing special. It's tier 5 (not 8-10), it's a 'free' premium that many will just get by having the Kirov. They have no incentive to make it anything more than trash.

[PMWC1]
Members
165 posts
5,264 battles

I’ve only done one battle but it was bottom tier (7 to 5) and on a team that got steamrolled so probably biased.

The gun handling is great making it easy to land shells.

Very light/typical soviet armor.

HE damage seems light even with an IFHE captain.  If ships were angled I couldn’t do much.  I even tried to ambush a Skane as the game was ending and couldn’t kill him.

Prefer the Kirov or Emile Bertin which I just did the grind.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,702 posts
6 minutes ago, Vector03 said:

Of course WG is going to make this ship nothing special. It's tier 5 (not 8-10), it's a 'free' premium that many will just get by having the Kirov. They have no incentive to make it anything more than trash.

Kirov? 

I thought Kirov was becoming a premium as Kirov, and being replaced in the tech tree by yet another ship.  How does Micky figure into that? 

[IXM]
Members
1,060 posts
3 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Kirov? 

I thought Kirov was becoming a premium as Kirov, and being replaced in the tech tree by yet another ship.  How does Micky figure into that? 

O hell I have no idea to be honest. I just assume the worst at this point, lol. I suppose you're right, Kirov will become a premium. But my point still stands about the Miko, WG has no incentive to make a T5 good.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,702 posts
5 minutes ago, Vector03 said:

O hell I have no idea to be honest. I just assume the worst at this point, lol. I suppose you're right, Kirov will become a premium. But my point still stands about the Miko, WG has no incentive to make a T5 good.

To me, it's not whether it's good that matters, as that's a big subjective and I'm sure some players will love the ship.

Rather, it's making the ship the first item prereq before getting Tallinn or Riga that's irksome.

[IXM]
Members
1,060 posts
3 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

To me, it's not whether it's good that matters, as that's a big subjective and I'm sure some players will love the ship.

Rather, it's making the ship the first item prereq before getting Tallinn or Riga that's irksome.

Well you have to suffer a bit before you get to decent stuff....this is a recurring theme in this game.

Members
58 posts
1,481 battles

The thing that annoys me about Mikoyan is that it's so close to the already tech-tree Kirov, so pretty much everybody running this event is going to end up with 2 near-identical T5 Premiums

[NGA]
Members
128 posts
7,112 battles
10 minutes ago, Mawz77 said:

The thing that annoys me about Mikoyan is that it's so close to the already tech-tree Kirov, so pretty much everybody running this event is going to end up with 2 near-identical T5 Premiums

Not quite, the Kirov had similar lousy armor but 3 more guns with almost the same rate of fire. I’d much rather take out the Kirov given a choice. I really don’t see any purpose at all to the Mikoyan.  However, your point about having 2 t5 soviet glass cannons (or more like pistol in Mikoyan’s case) is valid. Why have two premiums so close at the same tier

[SIM]
Members
4,918 posts
7,991 battles

Good lord, I just scored multiple citadels on an angled Mikoyan, at 14km, with HE from my Makarov. Yes, I know that German HE has superior penetration (and Makarov is just a Nurnberg), but yikes.