You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SidTheBlade

Unique Upgrades Changes: No change

24 comments in this topic

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
9,238 battles

Flamu has produced an excellent summary of the proposed Unique Upgrade changes. I recommend folks watch it.

It is disappointing. There have been minor tweaks, which is a failure to admit that there were significant problems. Ships that have been nerfed too hard (Henry IV, GKF) have been nerfed even harder. Modules that were broken conceptually have not been rectified conceptually.

It seems that WG have an almost petulant reaction to criticism. That is to say, if a child behaved this way to criticism, they would be whinging at you "But it's not my fault! It's not my fault! All the other kids are doing it! It's not my fault!"

There is a real failure to accept criticism, to take responsibility for failure. The staff at WG appear to wish to contest the issue with critics, rather than take instruction from them. Thus, critics are wasting their time. Rather than having sincere opinions that seek to improve the product, critics are relegated to the status of opponents in a game where they must surely lose. 

That is to say, WG staff are playing a puerile game with their critics. The game is "Who is the boss? Who has more power?" The game is not "How can we improve the product?"

Critics who play the "Who is the boss?" game must lose. Why? Because WG bosses are the bosses. Duh. They can simply do as they please.

And, they have. There is no conciliation here, no acceptance that criticism is valid. There is only a power contest, where the WG must win, and thrill to that display of their power.

Unfortunately, this means nothing can improve. The game of "How can we make the product better?" is not being played, so it can't be won by anybody.

Well, it is not the end of the world. It just means nothing will improve, except the sense of power experienced by the bosses at WG. 

The Shima UU has been changed so that the 80% penalty to torp traverse is reduced to 70%.

Do you know this means?

This means you don't work for WG, and they do, so nah nah nah. They win. They are better than you. They are in the club, and you are just a customer with big opinions. They are, fundamentally, higher than you. They are above, and you are below. Behold, their POWER.

It is what it is.

• Confused 1
  • Boring 4

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,332 battles

Write 200 times in copperplate cursive: Flamu is not God.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 2

[IXM]
Members
1,060 posts

Sadly this is largely correct. The utter hubris of WG is absolutely ridiculous.

• Boring 2

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles
12 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

But is he wrong?  Just because you don't like someone, does not make them wrong.  If you are asking someone to not read something with Flamu blinders on, you also must be willing to do the same.

I looked at the changes, and to me, they all seem pretty meh.  Making some of the worst ones even worse is silly.  They are adding a way to get them without resetting lines though (albeit extremely slowly) so I guess they feel they need to ensure they are not strong.  I still can't wait to see the one for Kremlin.....I'll be shocked if its not considered one of the top 3, whatever it is.

Edited by Old_Baldy_One
  • Cool 3

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,332 battles
1 minute ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

But is he wrong?  Just because you don't like someone, does not make them wrong.

OP is being very subjective and making an appeal to authority. That doesn't sit well with me.

• Confused 1
  • Boring 4

[IXM]
Members
1,060 posts
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

OP is being very subjective and making an appeal to authority. That doesn't sit well with me.

Why not? You constantly appeal to WG's authority.

• Funny 2

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,566 posts
11,175 battles
34 minutes ago, SidTheBlade said:

Flamu has produced an excellent summary of the proposed Unique Upgrade changes. I recommend folks watch it.

It is disappointing. There have been minor tweaks, which is a failure to admit that there were significant problems. Ships that have been nerfed too hard (Henry IV, GKF) have been nerfed even harder. Modules that were broken conceptually have not been rectified conceptually.

It seems that WG have an almost petulant reaction to criticism. That is to say, if a child behaved this way to criticism, they would be whinging at you "But it's not my fault! It's not my fault! All the other kids are doing it! It's not my fault!"

There is a real failure to accept criticism, to take responsibility for failure. The staff at WG appear to wish to contest the issue with critics, rather than take instruction from them. Thus, critics are wasting their time. Rather than having sincere opinions that seek to improve the product, critics are relegated to the status of opponents in a game where they must surely lose. 

That is to say, WG staff are playing a puerile game with their critics. The game is "Who is the boss? Who has more power?" The game is not "How can we improve the product?"

Critics who play the "Who is the boss?" game must lose. Why? Because WG bosses are the bosses. Duh. They can simply do as they please.

And, they have. There is no conciliation here, no acceptance that criticism is valid. There is only a power contest, where the WG must win, and thrill to that display of their power.

Unfortunately, this means nothing can improve. The game of "How can we make the product better?" is not being played, so it can't be won by anybody.

Well, it is not the end of the world. It just means nothing will improve, except the sense of power experienced by the bosses at WG. 

The Shima UU has been changed so that the 80% penalty to torp traverse is reduced to 70%.

Do you know this means?

This means you don't work for WG, and they do, so nah nah nah. They win. They are better than you. They are in the club, and you are just a customer with big opinions. They are, fundamentally, higher than you. They are above, and you are below. Behold, their POWER.

It is what it is.

Sid you need to get out of the house . We are all going crazy 7 weeks inside reading the forums it's a mad house .

Planet Of The Apes Its A Mad House GIF

[EQRN]
Members
2,032 posts
17,490 battles

I thought it was rather obvious this was “phase 1” of UU updates and that’s why ships like Yamato, etc, did not have their UUs changed.  They will, and seeing how tone deaf and lame the first round was, I hesitate to speculate how the more potent UUs are going to be nerfed.  

I now have zero problem with UUs being moved to the RB :cap_like: 

I also have zero incentive to play T10 short of snowflakes :cap_like:  WG is all kinds of win of late :cap_tea:

Members
925 posts
5,110 battles
29 minutes ago, Vector03 said:

Why not? You constantly appeal to WG's authority.

It's funny because it's true!

[BBMOD]
Members
348 posts
5,767 battles

The forums are funny.

The UUs have always been described as sidegrades but the good ones were, in fact, upgrades.

WG adjusts the "no-brainer" UUs to actually requiring a decision before installing them and the forums declare the sky is falling.

• Cool 2

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,654 posts
38 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Flamu does have a nice-looking beard though. I wish I could grow one like that. Mine looks more like a "Mommy, is that man homeless?"

Many WOWS CCs are just people who have devoted time to making entertaining YouTube Channels. Sure, some are bonafide experts at the game but even so their opinions are still just opinions. What works for them may not work for everyone.

It's up to each individual to check out the specs of the unique upgrades and note what they might have to give up in terms of other upgrades that fit in the same slot and then determine if they want to go to the trouble of getting the research points to purchase the upgrade. 

• Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,024 battles
4 minutes ago, Grimm262 said:

The forums are funny.

The UUs have always been described as sidegrades but the good ones were, in fact, upgrades.

WG adjusts the "no-brainer" UUs to actually requiring a decision before installing them and the forums declare the sky is falling.

:Smile_honoring:

Not to mention that the ST changes are proposed and can change before they go live.

• Cool 1

[1-]
Members
43 posts
10,831 battles

I was surprised that wow added unique upgrades to the research bureau and then decided not to make them any better or more interesting.  I guess the only thing that RB will be good for are flags once you get the two ships that are on offer.  Seems to me like a missed opportunity to promote the new RB concept.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,332 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

Flamu does have a nice-looking beard though. I wish I could grow one like that. Mine looks more like a "Mommy, is that man homeless?"

LOL. Every time I try to grow a moustache, I end up with this irregular try-hard patch of hair that wouldn't look out of place on a kid in his mid-teens. And yet my head hair grows so well that I used to have to bully my barber into persisting with the thinning scissors. 

Flamu is one of the best fighting sailors in WOWS across multiple ship types, and everything he says about how to fight the ship you actually have is among the best advice I've seen anywhere. You ignore it at your peril. However, I am increasingly less inclined to take his word for it when it comes to overall balance issues, and he appears to have an indefensibly subjective bad attitude about carriers.

2 minutes ago, marovici said:

Seems to me like a missed opportunity to promote the new RB concept.

Where they've fallen down (so far) is in not allowing access to the RB for people who've got a T10 ship and want to earn the UU for it. I can accept wanting to take them out of the Personal Assignments section, because that must have been one hell of a cluttered place if you had multiple ones on the go, but the current method is retrograde and atypically exclusionary, @Hapa_Fodder.

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
3,540 posts
13,904 battles
9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Where they've fallen down (so far) is in not allowing access to the RB for people who've got a T10 ship and want to earn the UU for it. I can accept wanting to take them out of the Personal Assignments section, because that must have been one hell of a cluttered place if you had multiple ones on the go, but the current method is retrograde and atypically exclusionary, @Hapa_Fodder.

Standby!

Mahalo,

-Hapa

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,332 battles
1 minute ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Standby!

:cap_like:

[1-]
Members
43 posts
10,831 battles
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Good point!  You have to grind 4 more to T 10 just to have an opportunity to get it if you want it.  Not sure I understand what is gained by the delay.  

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,332 battles
3 minutes ago, marovici said:

Not sure I understand what is gained by the delay.  

Making sure the solution actually works, would be my guess.

• Funny 1

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,248 posts
19,606 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Making sure the solution actually works, would be my guess.

Please not another CV rework!!!

[WOLF3]
Members
27,076 posts
23,845 battles
2 hours ago, FrodoFraggin said:

I thought it was rather obvious this was “phase 1” of UU updates and that’s why ships like Yamato, etc, did not have their UUs changed.  They will, and seeing how tone deaf and lame the first round was, I hesitate to speculate how the more potent UUs are going to be nerfed.  

I now have zero problem with UUs being moved to the RB :cap_like: 

I also have zero incentive to play T10 short of snowflakes :cap_like:  WG is all kinds of win of late :cap_tea:

I fear for Yamato and Zao's Legendaries.

Even Montana's which was never good to begin with, got worse with the proposed changes.

Henri IV's Legendary got nerfed good, too, on top of the recent nerfs she's eaten over the last several months.  WG really has a thing against Henri IV.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
9,238 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I know this very well. He is anti Krem, and so we are not the same people. At all.

However, despite his profound unfairness to the Krem, and general weirdness regarding Russia in general, the guy has his qualities. He makes really high quality educational resources for the game.

What you perceive as fanboiyism is actually me being ..... wait for it..... FAIR AND BALANCED.

You should write 1000 times, on your back, with a tattoo gun, SID IS FAIR AND BALANCED.

But you won't.

Buff the Krem.

Forgive Flamu.

Supertester
595 posts
14,840 battles

Most of the changes are just silly. The strongest upgrades, except for the DM's, were not affected. I agree with Flamu's points. 

WG needs to do a better job on the UUs. 

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,638 posts
4,999 battles

@SidTheBladeDid you watch the full video?  Flamu was not negative about all the changes.  He thought Des Moines' change was overall a buff.  Shimakaze he pointed out looked small, but was actually huge and might well make the module good in that in changes the torpedo traverse time from 36 seconds to 24 seconds.