You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Kraayt

Updates?

14 comments in this topic

[BEARS]
Beta Testers
274 posts
8,160 battles

I know I don't have a super computer, but it doesn't suck either.   I only have a 100mb bandwidth connection, not some instantaneous pipeline to WG's servers.

But it seems like it is getting worse and worse for updates.   Relative to any other game I have or currently play, Warships takes a tremendous amount of time to download, and then for the installation process.   My first impression is that it's not so much an update as a full install.

Does anyone have an understanding as to why WG's system seems so much slower than others (that I've experienced)?   I am not trolling, just curious as to why it is so damn inconvenient.   And don't make the mistake of giving it 100% of resources...it will suck the life out of your computer and your internet connection.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLFB]
Members
3,144 posts
7,178 battles

I haven't had any issues with downloads if anything I would say mine are faster now then it used to be. You might have an issue with your PC. Maybe you should run some diagnostics.  Or at least a speed check as your internet might be slower then normal. 

[TFLT]
[TFLT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
774 posts
12,239 battles

You can PRE-Download the updates prior to game day.  It only took me 6 minutes to do the install this morning and it was ready to go...

[BBMOD]
Members
348 posts
5,767 battles

Sounds like a system issue. How much free space do you have on your hard drive? that could be the bottle neck.

[TBW]
Members
10,278 posts
17,459 battles
18 minutes ago, Kraayt said:

I know I don't have a super computer, but it doesn't suck either.   I only have a 100mb bandwidth connection, not some instantaneous pipeline to WG's servers.

But it seems like it is getting worse and worse for updates.   Relative to any other game I have or currently play, Warships takes a tremendous amount of time to download, and then for the installation process.   My first impression is that it's not so much an update as a full install.

Does anyone have an understanding as to why WG's system seems so much slower than others (that I've experienced)?   I am not trolling, just curious as to why it is so damn inconvenient.   And don't make the mistake of giving it 100% of resources...it will suck the life out of your computer and your internet connection.

Did you change the download speed in the game center? I have never had a problem downloading updates with the exception of sometimes they hang up and I have to restart the game center to finish the update. It took about 4 minutes to update this morning.

[WORX]
Members
10,619 posts
18,506 battles
21 minutes ago, Kraayt said:

Warships takes a tremendous amount of time to download, and then for the installation process.

Today's update was 3 GB... took roughly 2 hrs to complete...

Check your connection settings in WGC... Change them accordingly.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Banned
1,334 posts

My pc finished it in about 10 minutes maybe even a little less because the only thing to take a dump while I was waiting was me. On a 300 MB connection.

Edited by DESRON10

Members
195 posts
8,245 battles

as others have said, check the values in the red box on your computer.  If these are set too low, they can be 'throttling'   your connection during an update.  Note the 10Mb/sec speed I picked is still kinda slow; I like to be able to surf the web while the update is happening and not have a lot of delay when the pages are loading.

good luck!

WOW_updatespeed2.jpg

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,978 posts
20,683 battles

I have DSL, 10 mbs....

Rather than sit idle for an hour to 2 hours, I leave my pc on over night to do the download and install.

Yes I do have pre-load picked,  but can't afford the hit to play while downloading game.

[OIL-1]
Members
1,267 posts

You have 2 problems.
1. WG uses an idiotic system that downloads for a while, then installs for a while,
and repeats that several times. Makes no sense. Nobody else does that.

2. WG jumped on the save money bandwagon, and no longer uses servers.
They use Torrents, which is other players uploading the game to you.
Torrents are great for sharing information, but it's horrible for game updates,
especially when very few people play the game.

I can download 3GB in about 1 min from a normal server, then another cpl mins to install,
but today was another typical WG 15-20m process.

Set your download speed to unlimited and your upload speed to NO, is the best you can do.

• Cool 2

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,565 posts
11,145 battles

It took 10 min to load update on an Acer all in one PC that’s 4 years old . 

[BEARS]
Beta Testers
274 posts
8,160 battles

Thanks all.  Useful info and shows I'm not alone in my impression.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,607 posts
1 hour ago, Kraayt said:

I have a third of your Internet bandwidth and a ten-year-old computer and I don't have any problems updating.

There are several settings that you can use for game updates that may help. You can have the update pre-download. I do this and when it's actual update time all my system has to do is install it. Also, you can select to have the update not upload any info from your computer to other devices on your network. WG, and many other companies do the distributed computing thing in order to make it easier for them but it can really slow things down for an individual with slow upload speeds. Finally, you can set the update to use all of your system resources. You will have to not use your computer in the interim but it will speed installation up.