You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Seriously tone down the likelihood of fires, its a joke at the moment.

33 comments in this topic

[G-O-W]
Members
1,099 posts
3,207 battles

Last 2 games in my Iowa and Georgia I've spent the majority of the game on fire. Every ship seems to spam HE shells and its so dam annoying I rarely play the BB class. Last match 2 New Orleans spamming HE from cover, while then other is bow on at long range every hit starts a fire, every HE hit that doesn't cause fire still does 500-1500 damage. Finally get a clean shot on the spammer, return fire with AP and hit the New Orleans for 3k with overpens.. Sigh. His next salvo of HE does 5k damage...

Follow the standard practice, withdraw, heal, turn around and get back in, same deal, HE spam, fires immediately from the first hit, withdraw, multiple fires now burning. Before anytime has past the ship has lost half its health.

Not sure what the current ratio of starting a fire is but the sheer volume of HE that is been spammed it seems to be at least 50%. The few times I've been hit by a salvo of HE and my ship hasn't burst into flames I breath a sigh of relief. Nothing more frustrating than finally getting the fire out for the next hit 3 seconds later to start it all over again........$#%$#%%@$!#

How does a fire of the top deck somehow caused the boat to sink anyway?

Edited by LunchCutter
  • Cool 8
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 6

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,919 posts
26,019 battles

Yeah, those Cruisers I guess need to stop using HE so you can instead easily bounce their 152mm, 203mm AP, right? :Smile_smile:

You also got a lot of nerve complaining about HE when you're going around with 406mm and most especially a 457mm armed Battleship that sh*ts on Cruisers.

We can address HE + Fires when Battleships can no longer rip away large chunks of HP from Cruisers in a single go.

You also got a lot of nerve complaining about Tier VII New Orleans when you're sailing around in a d*mn Georgia.

• Cool 11
  • Boring 7

[SYN]
Members
15,970 posts
12,803 battles

you got shat on by a New Orleans??????????????????

In a Georgia???????????????????????????

• Funny 12

[WORX]
Members
13,286 posts
20,135 battles

You can thank the change in IFHE policy for more fires... With the current policy, 157MM and below guns are now useless against heavy armored ships...

So, HE Pens are so 0.9.1, Hello FIRE!!

Meanwhile, BB insteant deletions of cruisers from a cap away or away from cruiser return fire is still intact...

• Cool 3

[WKY19]
Beta Testers
2,146 posts
14,599 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Yeah, those Cruisers I guess need to stop using HE so you can instead easily bounce their 152mm, 203mm AP, right? :Smile_smile:

You also got a lot of nerve complaining about HE when you're going around with 406mm and most especially a 457mm armed Battleship that sh*ts on Cruisers.

We can address HE + Fires when Battleships can no longer rip away large chunks of HP from Cruisers in a single go.

You also got a lot of nerve complaining about Tier VII New Orleans when you're sailing around in a d*mn Georgia.

Nice strawman.

It is quite possible for heavy cruisers, at least, to pen BBs with AP. It is a combination of being close enough to have the pen and knowing where to aim.

CLs can pen at close range, too, but they will generally be relegated to aiming at the BBs extremities.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,919 posts
26,019 battles
10 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

Nice strawman.

It is quite possible for heavy cruisers, at least, to pen BBs with AP. It is a combination of being close enough to have the pen and knowing where to aim.

CLs can pen at close range, too, but they will generally be relegated to aiming at the BBs extremities.

Here's another one for you.

BB players would love if Cruisers used more AP on them because the same tactics to bounce, bow camp against Battleship AP will work WONDERS against piddly little Cruiser AP shells :Smile_smile:

Meanwhile, Battleships have a little advantage of "OVERMATCH" in their favor against Cruisers with their own AP shells.

The thread is just another stupid case of BB players whining that something out there can actually do some damage against them before they smash them with their Battleship guns.  I say again, the OP is silly for ranting about NEW ORLEANS when he himself is sailing around in a broken OP Georgia two tiers higher.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,771 posts
11,291 battles

HE and fires has always been a powerful weapon for cruisers against battleships, and for good reason. For the majority of cruisers, especially CLs, in order for their AP to be effective against BB armor they need to get suicidally close. 

In regards to the OPs question about how a top deck fire can sink a battleship? Unless it spreads to the magazines it likely won’t directly sink the ship. But what it can do is damage equipment (fire control, propulsion, etc), kill crew, and render the ship combat ineffective. HP models this in game.

Also, game balance.

[WOLFG]
Members
12,639 posts
11,736 battles
3 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

you got shat on by a New Orleans??????????????????

In a Georgia???????????????????????????

Well, the new armor of the New Orleans is great for bouncing BB shells.

If that BB is a Dunkerque.

• Funny 1

[--V--]
Members
1,538 posts
14,271 battles

HE-Fires-Pew Pew Pew is the WG love spot right now.  Its for the short attention spanned millenials and other individuals who are incapable of learning to aim something which can only fire 20 times a match.  They can only deal with a 'hose of fire' which they can instantly adjust their horrible aim to start fires on anything in their range.  Most effectively when hidden behind islands or in smoke.   This is their love and joy these Flameslingers.   

I have almost all theses ships, from Atlanta to Smolensk.  I rarely play them because its too easy and boring to just sit and farm damage.  Oh,,,I think I'll adjust my hose a bit to the right.  There we go,,, another fire.

Ok,,, being a smart @#% there.  Fires are WGs way of balancing small insignificant ships so they can unrealistically, in some fashion, damage larger more powerful ships that IRL they would run away from as quickly as possible.   LOL

• Boring 1

[OO7]
Members
692 posts
8,221 battles

Thanks to ifhe rework, it is rather easy decision to drop ifhe for the pure fire chance now.  I average 12+ fires a game in my wooster now.  Bless!

• Funny 1

Members
42 posts
6,144 battles

HazeGrayUnderwa

most BBS cant do much when thew cruiser is bow on . And that is why i get burnt down so fast,

then there are the ones that kite away and we BBs can hit the cruisers so dont get all B*tt hurt.

Edited by SkinnyK

[BONKS]
Banned
957 posts
5,389 battles
20 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

Last match 2 New Orleans spamming HE from cover,

Heaven forbid giving a T7 cruiser with a low HP, lower range and No heals going up against a T9 BB with incredible speed (you know, that you can use to get away from spam) a chance at contributing to the match....

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,919 posts
26,019 battles

We can't have the paint on precious Battleships get scratched!

Think of your shipmates that have to repaint!

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 5

Members
4,479 posts
19,839 battles
20 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Great.gif.cf0ca678cba49251928ba8abda48b5c0.gif

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
12,301 battles

You need to spend some time in a Neptune. See how you like them apples.

Fires is such a crazy topic. Everyone rants and raves about the Smolensk, but the Wooster makes it look tame, as far as fires are concerned.

Anyway, the secret to not getting burned down is not to be targeted by multiple enemies who are all firing HE, and who know what they are doing. If you see such a thing, go somewhere else. Don't advance.

Yes, it will create static game play, but if there is one ship in the game equipped to move around the map, it is the Georgia. That thing is a speed demon. It's whole gimmick is being able to pick and choose its engagement scenario.

Try being a GKF or Kremlin, with your flank gone, and the enemy all turning the HE on you.

You want to talk about fires?

You Georgia people have not seen what we brawling BBs have seen.

The horror. The horror.

• Cool 1

[CNO]
Members
6,590 posts
19,798 battles
4 hours ago, SidTheBlade said:

Anyway, the secret to not getting burned down is not to be targeted by multiple enemies who are all firing HE, and who know what they are doing. 

An important aspect of the above is it becomes a feeding frenzy.  Think shark with blood in the water.  Once one CA gets you on fire (blood in the water), all the other sharks (CAs) begin to take notice and join in.  Once the feeding frenzy starts, if you're too far in to escape...well, you're done (pun intended).

And if you think the simple feeding frenzy is bad, good players notice when you DCP.  And if you're running against a clan (or a red team with good comms), they will announce you've just expended DCP, which pretty much makes you the number one HE spam target for the ENTIRE RED team...so now the BBs (running HE) and DDs join in the fun.

So...getting one fire from one cruiser isn't the big problem.  It's the one fire, which brings others into the party, and the DCP which brings everyone with a target solution into the party.

Focus fire wins games.  Once the reds have you targeted with multiple ships, and you can't escape (via cover or range), you will be focused and finished.

• Cool 2

[FORM]
Members
331 posts
2,362 battles
On 5/13/2020 at 4:02 AM, LunchCutter said:

Last 2 games in my Iowa and Georgia I've spent the majority of the game on fire. Every ship seems to spam HE shells and its so dam annoying I rarely play the BB class...

I would really like if each fire reduced the chance of getting another one. It is simply too easy to get 2,3,4 fires going on a ship and it really makes the game less interesting and varied when it is all about burning BBs down.

• Cool 4

[SYN]
Members
15,970 posts
12,803 battles
4 minutes ago, Arctander2 said:

I would really like if each fire reduced the chance of getting another one. It is simply too easy to get 2,3,4 fires going on a ship and it really makes the game less interesting and varied when it is all about burning BBs down.

How about a realistic suggestion?

because the game design favors larger AP shells over small shells and BBs have the best or second best protection against every ordinance in the game, except for fires.

What, do you want smaller gun ships to chokehold BBs to death instead?

• Boring 1

[FORM]
Members
331 posts
2,362 battles
1 minute ago, MrDeaf said:

How about a realistic suggestion?

You've let your fear take over your ability to reason. What's not realistic about altering the way that fire damage hits ships? Hell, if it were up to me, I'd let smaller fires be more common, but the 2,3,4 fires on ships are tedious to the point of absurd. The endless streams of HE is has turned the game into a very one dimensional, relatively mindless and frankly boring. There's all kinds of ways to work out the balancing of it that doesn't make BBs the monsters who crush all.

And along those lines, I'd like to see CVs ability to spot ships from the air greatly reduced too. That better? Or do you just have dreams of getting handsy with BBs or something? If that's your thing fine, but we're not all

• Cool 2

[WAR-S]
[WAR-S]
Members
110 posts
17,178 battles

LunchCutter I posted on the same subject a few days ago and got pretty much the same response which is the reason I don't post much. What most likely will happen is players will stop using the high tier BB's or play lower tier matches where they can feel like they're contributing to the game and not losing coin to high repair costs. 

• Cool 1

Members
770 posts
10,158 battles
On 5/13/2020 at 4:02 AM, LunchCutter said:

Last 2 games in my Iowa and Georgia I've spent the majority of the game on fire. Every ship seems to spam HE shells and its so dam annoying I rarely play the BB class. Last match 2 New Orleans spamming HE from cover, while then other is bow on at long range every hit starts a fire, every HE hit that doesn't cause fire still does 500-1500 damage. Finally get a clean shot on the spammer, return fire with AP and hit the New Orleans for 3k with overpens.. Sigh. His next salvo of HE does 5k damage...

Follow the standard practice, withdraw, heal, turn around and get back in, same deal, HE spam, fires immediately from the first hit, withdraw, multiple fires now burning. Before anytime has past the ship has lost half its health.

Not sure what the current ratio of starting a fire is but the sheer volume of HE that is been spammed it seems to be at least 50%. The few times I've been hit by a salvo of HE and my ship hasn't burst into flames I breath a sigh of relief. Nothing more frustrating than finally getting the fire out for the next hit 3 seconds later to start it all over again........$#%$#%%@$!#

How does a fire of the top deck somehow caused the boat to sink anyway?

There are flags, modules, and captain skills to mitigate fire damage and help you DC/repair. Are you investing in those?

However the most effective tool to reduce fire(and all damage tbh) is to improve your positioning. Utilize the minimap religiously. Don't put yourself in places where multiple HE boats can spam you and you can't return effective fire. A BB should have a clear advantage over a single cruiser in a 1 v 1 fight.

BBs still average more damage and have a higher survive % than any HE reliant cruiser or DD.

Finally, something like half of the ships in the game rely on HE and fires to do a useful amount of damage. If you nerf all those(hundreds of) ships, how do you expect them to be effective when their damage totals plummet? What does that do to game balance?

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[FORM]
Members
2,382 posts
13,548 battles
9 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

There is a simple solution to HE spewing CAs...

LOL, the ship you just killed literally doesn't have HE! 

context.jpg

• Funny 3

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,339 posts

rather see HE dmg increased and fire chance/dmg reduced personally

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,510 posts
6,402 battles

It is fine as is.  Take fire prevention skills and modules, position so you don't get focused.  Cruisers need to be able to do damage back because this is a game rather than a sim.