You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lylanthwol

Overmatch Charts

12 comments in this topic

Members
103 posts
2,727 battles

In a match today with my new (and pretty plain so far) Bismarck I ran into a couple of Tier X  Schlachtschiffe I hadn't had the pleasure of taking a pounding from and had a moment of, not quite panic but certainly a moment of 1's and 0's spilling out of my overworked mind that didn't have the right input.  

"What the hell is that?!"

"Oh, it doesn't matter, its got a French name and wants to paddle you!"

Examples could go on :cap_horn:but the big one was "where do I hit her, and can I overmatch it somewhere?" I ended up being the last ship on our side and positioned myself where only a T8 Gascogne could hit me well.  Naturally I immediately searched "Little White Mouse XYZ" post-game and gleaned some quick insight.  However I didn't readily find a chart that correlated something like my question into a chart of (yes, oversimplification)  "Bismarck Vs. XYZ, overmatch armor under B turret, HIT THERE!" as an example.   I see the Armor threshold wiki, but I'm not about to memorize every ships armor plating layout.

To end my drivel and posit my question, has anyone put something like that together?

Members
103 posts
2,727 battles
38 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Why not send this question via a PM to @LittleWhiteMouse directly ?

She is good at answering questions or directing you to the answer...

Good idea, just didn't want to be a bother.  Also, if I'm not the only nublet with the question, hoping to help others if it gets answered.

Edited by Lylanthwol

[WORX]
Members
10,708 posts
18,582 battles
Just now, Lylanthwol said:

Good idea, just didn't want to be a bother

One question is not a bother... 100 questions in 2 days, then I would say its a troublesome proposition. (not saying you would do that it was an extreme example).

Members
103 posts
2,727 battles
2 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

One question is not a bother... 100 questions in 2 days, then I would say its a troublesome proposition. (not saying you would do that it was an extreme example).

Indeed.  

I'd have to reexamine my outlook on life if I asked that many questions :Smile_bajan2:

[TBW]
Members
10,290 posts
17,484 battles

Every one knows you only get 20 questions.

• Cool 1

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,039 posts
10,098 battles

I'm afraid memorization may be necessary.  There are a lot of exceptions out there.  But here's the basics for AP overmatch by gun caliber, listing the key armour values they best.

• 460mm+ (Yamato, Musashi, Shikishima) 32mm -- the extremities of tier VIII+ battleships, including select upper hull and amidship decks too.  This latter aspect is limited to British and French battleship targets, however.
  • 429mm to 457mm (Thunderer, Ohio, Georgia, Republique, Kremlin) 30mm -- found on tier X heavy cruiser upper hulls and amidship decks.  Found occasionally on select areas of other cruisers.
  • 406mm to 419mm (Too many to name) 27mm - found on the bow & stern of German & American tier VIII+ heavy cruisers and the upper hull and/or decks of most tier VIII+ cruisers.
  • 380mm & 381mm (British & German battleships and upcoming super-cruisers) 25mm makes up the structural bow and stern of most tier VIII+ cruisers.  It's also found amidships and upper deck of tier VI & VII heavy cruisers and just the deck of tier VI & VII light cruisers.  In addition, these guns can also overmatch 26mm -- this makes up the structure bow & stern of tier VI and VII battleships.
  • 283mm to 356mm (Too many to name) 19mm - found on the extremities of all tier VIII+ destroyers.  Found on the superstructures of all tier VIII+ battleships. 
  • 234mm to 240mm (Goliath, Drake, Cheshire, Henri IV) 16mm - found on the superstructure of most tier VIII+ cruisers.  Found on the bow & stern of tier VI and VII cruisers along with the upper hull.  Forms up most of the structural plate of tier VIII+ very light cruisers such as Smolensk, Minotaur, Edinburgh, etc.  Makes up most of the plate on tier VI and VII destroyers.
  • Cool 2

Members
103 posts
2,727 battles
4 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

iChase also has a video going into the details about the mechanics.

Thanks Haze.  Yes, iChase's video's are great.  He's part of the reason why I'm up 'till 4AM sinking things... I fell asleep on the couch doing an iChase refresher this afternoon :)

3 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I'm afraid memorization may be necessary.

Yes!  That's what I'm looking to do, shove a little more data in my over-saturated brain pan so I can take advantage of whatever limited recall I have remaining! :cap_cool:

This is a good rule of thumb for sure!  The one thing I'm missing as far as puzzle pieces is that I can't dig into all of the ships armor since they're not in the Tech Tree <Insert Sigh>  I'll be memorizing this and pouring over your ship reviews.

3 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

upcoming super-cruisers

Super-Cruisers??  Huh?  What?  

And BTW Mouse.  If someone hasn't said this to you yet today, you need to be reminded every day.  Your contributions are an invaluable asset to the community and this skipper can't possibly thank you enough.  Your old review on the Bis helped me net my first 6 figure counter on my as of yet upgraded version a few moments ago.

You are simply a legend, and a phantasmagorical benefit in my book.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,085 posts
23,857 battles
1 hour ago, Lylanthwol said:

Super-Cruisers??  Huh?  What?  

Siegfried is a German Super Cruiser that is a WiP ship / testing.  380mm x6 main battery.

• Cool 1

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,039 posts
10,098 battles
8 hours ago, Lylanthwol said:

Yes!  That's what I'm looking to do, shove a little more data in my over-saturated brain pan so I can take advantage of whatever limited recall I have remaining! :cap_cool:

This is a good rule of thumb for sure!  The one thing I'm missing as far as puzzle pieces is that I can't dig into all of the ships armor since they're not in the Tech Tree <Insert Sigh>  I'll be memorizing this and pouring over your ship reviews.

I don't have a very good memory myself, so rather than try and remember the numbers, I instead remember where to look them up.   When it's a pain to keep disparate sources, I make my own cheat-sheets.  Writing, of course, helps with retention though there's the danger of becoming self referential ("This is accurate because I said this was accurate once upon a time".)  Given my review work, I'm updating and going back over these references weekly to find out how often I'm wrong and to self correct as needs be.

• Cool 2

Members
103 posts
2,727 battles
11 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I don't have a very good memory myself, so rather than try and remember the numbers, I instead remember where to look them up.   When it's a pain to keep disparate sources, I make my own cheat-sheets.  Writing, of course, helps with retention though there's the danger of becoming self referential ("This is accurate because I said this was accurate once upon a time".)  Given my review work, I'm updating and going back over these references weekly to find out how often I'm wrong and to self correct as needs be.

Ahhhh, memories.  They fade faster than we'd like to think don't they!  Having access to and writing primmers does make things easier.  Thanks for the help!