You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Jitta77

Should WG take action on border riding?

37 comments in this topic

[CAP]
Members
338 posts
15,092 battles

Just finished a game where a Moskva was riding the border nose in to keep angle against a DM and Mino and was even able to dodge a row of torps all while surfing the border.  I've seen this before and it really seems to throw off people's aim because the ship is no longer moving forward on it's line but drifting port/starboard (left/right). I have learned this and have gotten better at shooting at a border hugger but it certainly isn't like shooting at any other ship in any other situation in the game.

So should WG continue to allow this without some sort of penalty?  Guns inoperative after 30 seconds on the border or something?  The reduction in engine speed doesn't seem to be much a deterrent but losing offensive ability after 30 seconds would certainly cause this behavior to stop as it wouldn't have a technical advantage. 

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 4

Members
1,660 posts
1 minute ago, Jitta77 said:

Just finished a game where a Moskva was riding the border nose in to keep angle against a DM and Mino and was even able to dodge a row of torps all while surfing the border.  I've seen this before and it really seems to throw off people's aim because the ship is no longer moving forward on it's line but drifting port/starboard (left/right). I have learned this and have gotten better at shooting at a border hugger but it certainly isn't like shooting at any other ship in any other situation in the game.

So should WG continue to allow this without some sort of penalty?  Guns inoperative after 30 seconds on the border or something?  The reduction in engine speed doesn't seem to be much a deterrent but losing offensive ability after 30 seconds would certainly cause this behavior to stop as it wouldn't have a technical advantage. 

Aim at the border, not the ship.

• Cool 3

[CAP]
Members
338 posts
15,092 battles
2 minutes ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

Aim at the border, not the ship.

I have learned this and adjust aim according to his angle to the board (is he moving left or right along the board?) but many have not and why should they?  Aiming is one of the primary skills of the game and the border changes the game to the advantage of the border rider in many situations.  It just seems.... wrong.

• Boring 1

[-KIA-]
Members
3,468 posts
14,794 battles
14 minutes ago, Jitta77 said:

I have learned this and adjust aim according to his angle to the board (is he moving left or right along the board?) but many have not and why should they?  Aiming is one of the primary skills of the game and the border changes the game to the advantage of the border rider in many situations.  It just seems.... wrong.

If they don't want to learn about how to counter something, why WE, players who spent time actually learning to do so should care about them ? If they don't want to learn how to counterplay something as easy as border hugging (which btw kill your ship engine meaning you can't just reverse or accelerate  and reduces your speed to 1/4 ) then they won't even be learning advanced game mecanic such as blindfiring.

Edited by AlcatrazNC
  • Boring 1

[RKLES]
Members
805 posts

Riding the border should come with a health penalty. the longer you ride the faster you bleed health.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 4

[-A-8-]
Members
446 posts
19,205 battles

Personally I'd give each class of ship a set time to get off the border then stop them from being able to fire. I regularly see people using it as a mechanic to avoid incoming shells.

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
25 minutes ago, Learux said:

Riding the border should come with a health penalty. the longer you ride the faster you bleed health.

If I ever see you on an opposing team with your ship riding the border I will teach you the lesson that you can suffer significant health penalties. Since with the -50% engine power reduction your ship becomes a much easier target to hit than when it is fully mobile if you have had some practice hitting ships on the border. :Smile_trollface:

The only trick a border ship can pull usually is causing the first shot to miss, then the following shots will more easily hit. Not unlike ramming an island to evade some ordnance, only to have the following ones hit your ship.

• Funny 1

[HINON]
Members
13,240 posts

The 75 percent reduction in engine power is penalty enough. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[D-H-O]
Alpha Tester
985 posts

It can be used as a strategy & it sounds like the Moskva did just that.  People may not like it (like island-hugging) but it has its place & there are penalties (to your engines) and ways for the other team to counter.

• Boring 1

[WORX]
Members
10,612 posts
18,506 battles

Its a high tier match, why not fix the issues causing some ship classes to  use the strategy in the first place?

Power Creep, its real.

• Boring 1

[BUOY]
Members
994 posts
14,477 battles
1 hour ago, Learux said:

IMO it should kill your reload as much as it does your engines so yeah you can hug the border... but you can't really exploit it offensively. And unlike the engine debuff, the reload debuff would extend say .3 km away from the border so you couldn't hop in and out of border hugging mode the way you can now.

Edited by lloyd1701
  • Boring 1

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,607 posts
10,459 battles

I'd be ok with a reload increase for ships that are in the border for longer than a set period of time.  Honestly, I don't see it very often.  I see ships hiding at the back and to the side of the map, but rarely do they intentionally border hump.  Most that do are in trouble anyway and are just trying to escape.

• Cool 1

[WOLF4]
Members
382 posts
17,045 battles
43 minutes ago, Murcc said:

I'd be ok with a reload increase for ships that are in the border for longer than a set period of time.  Honestly, I don't see it very often.  I see ships hiding at the back and to the side of the map, but rarely do they intentionally border hump.  Most that do are in trouble anyway and are just trying to escape.

+1    yup its trying to escape and usually not much longer the ship is sunk anyway. I don't see people go into the border on purpose usually. Possibly someone is dualing another ship and not watching and go into the border also.

[IND8]
Members
323 posts
2,954 battles
3 hours ago, Jitta77 said:

1% damage per tick after 30 seconds

[WOLF3]
Members
26,992 posts
23,790 battles

The loss of engine power while at the border is severe enough of a penalty already.

If I'm at the border, it's accidental and I'm trying to kite away from someone for a d*mn good reason(s).  Letting them get closer more quickly for easy shots against me is not what I wanted.

Members
4,307 posts
4,577 battles
4 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The loss of engine power while at the border is severe enough of a penalty already.

If I'm at the border, it's accidental and I'm trying to kite away from someone for a d*mn good reason(s).  Letting them get closer more quickly for easy shots against me is not what I wanted.

I never saw it as a penalty. I always saw it more as a stalling method to avoid shells and keep a flank busy. Especially if the enemy is too scared to approach for whatever reason. 

That said this topic has been brought up for years now and has always remained the same. I wouldn't be surprised if nothing will change. 

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
5 hours ago, Jitta77 said:

It should have an HP damage rate.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles

There should be a 25% increase in main battery and torpedo reload if you ride the border.   The engine decrease is not enough because the border can keep you angled properly and you don't necessarily need to be moving.   And aiming at ship is useless because it will miss which is a disadvantage to the player who is actually playing correctly

Edited by kishan99

Members
1,423 posts
7,116 battles

Just make the border act like a solid wall and give you the same warning you get before you hit an island.

Edited by USMC2145
  • Cool 1

Members
740 posts
9,789 battles

I see no reason to change it.  I actually like it when a ship rides the border, they are much easier to hit.

• Cool 1

[CAP]
Members
338 posts
15,092 battles
27 minutes ago, Malamute_Kid said:

I see no reason to change it.  I actually like it when a ship rides the border, they are much easier to hit.

I find it varies to the situation.  DDs that ride the border even at 1/4 speed can move a significate distance along the wall in a less predictable pattern than if they were continuing in the direction they are pointing.  I've seen DDs run into the border and go from getting murdered to suddenly being untouchable as ships from 10-15kms away are throwing shells way off target because the ship is no longer moving as it would on the ocean.  It is moving by "magic" relative to its direction.

Secondly, I observed a cruiser today use the wall when facing a DM and mino to control his angle to their fire while becoming unpredictable to where an average player would expect their fire to go to hit him.  It just seems like a cheesy move which is why I put it out on the forum.  The loss of engine power is nothing if you want to make your movement relative to your angle unexpected to ships 15kms away.  You suddenly go from giving some vertical lead to aiming in a 2D space, judging left/right movement based on his angle, and shooting at the border line which is very different than all other shooting scenarios.

In the end, it is my opinion that they should always make hitting the border (maybe above T7) an offensively negative situation until you get off the border. No/reduced rate of fire after 30-45 seconds seems fair to separate the drunks from the cheeps.

[LOS]
Members
864 posts
13,742 battles
7 hours ago, Jitta77 said:

No    you like rules...go to church.

• Boring 1

[CAP]
Members
338 posts
15,092 battles
3 minutes ago, Sinton said:

No    you like rules...go to church.

Well, hitting the border has a rule now, reduced engine power until you return to the map.  I just suggest a change to the rule.  Like going from Christianity to Mormonism.