You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hapa_Fodder

Community time with Captain Bob Batterson (ret) and Hapa_Fodder

16 comments in this topic

[D-H-O]
-Members-
4,756 posts
15,709 battles

STANDBY FOR WORDS FROM THE CHIEF.

Have you ever wanted to talk to a veteran? What about a World War 2 veteran? What about a Pearl Harbor survivor? What about a Pearl Harbor survivor, that was Navy enlisted, commissioned, became a Navy F6F Hellcat Pilot, and retired as a Captain after 26 years in the Navy and continues to serve onboard the USS Lexington museum? Well now is your chance! On May 15th at 4 pm central time Captain Bob Batterson will join us on the official World of Warships Twitch channel!

If you would like to ask questions about Captain Batterson’s amazing career and life, now is your chance! But considering Captain Batterson's age, we would like you to submit your questions in this thread before Friday the 15th! Come talk ship with Captain Batterson with us! Come talk ship!

Hope to see you all there, we will celebrate this amazing man and hopefully share some sea stories!

Mahalo,

-Hapa

THAT IS ALL

Bob.jpg

Bob2.jpg

• Cool 7

[RLGN]
Members
16,244 posts
28,133 battles

Going to need to remember to watch.

Will it be available to watch after the fact? (Not sure about my work schedule.)

[WG]
Administrator
181 posts
598 battles
4 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Going to need to remember to watch.

Will it be available to watch after the fact? (Not sure about my work schedule.)

Yes, we're going to ensure the stream is available after.

• Cool 1

[D-H-O]
-Members-
4,756 posts
15,709 battles

Aloha,

Make sure you're submitting your questions here!

Mahalo,

-Hapa

[IROCZ]
Banned
301 posts
26,008 battles

wonder if he knew my grandpa, jack elmer krous sr.  he was in pearl harbor out in front of the harbor, minneapolis, when the planes flew over everyone on board thought they was filming a movie, they had orders to steam out from the harbor to save the ship when thy found out it was an attack, I have so many memories and stories from my grandpa, he served  on the  Minneapolis and finished up on the warrick, was involved in many attacks, he said his greatest achievement was not dying when the ship was torpedoed, he died in 2015.  I miss my grandpa

panama

Vallejo California, mare island naval shipyard, decommissioned

god bless america

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
13,355 posts
20,181 battles

Aviation Questions for the Cpt. for us aviation enthusiast...

• Cpt. take us on a usual take off and landing procedure/experience  for your aircraft?
    • With some light on how ATC interaction has changed/evolved since his time as a pilot..
    • Any funny moments with ATC or tower controllers?
  • What were to best and worst places to land to or to take off from?
  • What is the old aviator's opinion regarding the modern flight deck compared to the Hellcat?

Thank you CPT. for your service...

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 2

Members
2 posts
11,819 battles

Captain Batterson, I talked with the Man before. Being from Corpus myself.
Being at sea, How much information did you have of the war in the pacific at large? or about the War in Europe?
Generally, how different is reading history than from living it?

[WEON]
Members
1 post
1,467 battles

Captain Batterson, I can't imagine the hardships that you went through in the war, but, was there any moment where you were certain you were going to die but was somehow saved by mother luck or by a wing man flying in your squadron? Also, was there any particular terrifying moment you had to go through but eventually went on with your head held high?

[JHSAV]
Members
30 posts
2,892 battles

Captain Batterson, First off, God bless you for your service. It is an honor to have you with us. Any WWII vet still here today is a treasure to us.

For one of the questions I would ask,

> While being up in the air as a pilot, did you ever deal with anxiety, like having thoughts about taking off and not being able to land, or thoughts like that?

And if you wanted to go the extra mile,

> Do you have any favorite battleships, destroyers, cruisers, aircraft carriers?

Thank you very much for your time. Love from Canada.

[HEL-2]
[HEL-2]
Beta Testers
6 posts
11,920 battles

Thank you for your sacrifice and service Captain  Batterson.

My first question would be did you conduct combat operations in any other aircraft besides the F6F Hellcat. 

If so what would be your favorite aircraft that you operated during the Pacific war.

[MASS]
[MASS]
Members
54 posts
9,189 battles

That was a great stream Love the part were Captain Batterson talked about the crane operator protecting the USS Pennsylvania in dry dock. Whoever it was deserves the Medal Of Honor civilian or military

[D-H-O]
-Members-
4,756 posts
15,709 battles

Aloha,

Thanks everyone that attended the stream! Sorry we could not chat with Capt Batterson longer, we originally intended to only have him on for about 30 mins, but as you can tell he was more than willing to chat with us for longer! We will be clipping this video and probably have it up on YT in the future!

Mahalo,

-Hapa

• Cool 1