Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
lloyd1701

Research Bureau needs to be changed so players aren't gypped

40 comments in this topic

[BUOY]
Members
1,348 posts
16,903 battles

While I applaud making steel and research points available to all players it's the sound of one hand clapping since the research points are only going to be awarded to those players who qualify for the Research Bureau in the first place.

Which means everyone who hasn't ground out at least 3.5 million ship xp is screwed out of a potential 1200 RP / month. This strongly discourages new and casual players alike and creates a distinct split between the haves vs have nots for a very valuable resource that, unlike clan oil, is individual to a player.

Put another way, research points are like elite captain xp in that under normal circumstances you need a 19 point captain to earn any... but during special events like Halloween 2019 you have 19 point event captains that allow everyone to earn ECXP regardless as well as when the daily chains are XP oriented, the ECXP is awarded for completing the mission. Now with RP it's like WG is having an event where instead of 19 points the captains are 15 pointers.

Also, daily missions now read 'Earn 1k/1.3k BXP in winning battles AND have 5x T10 line ships researched.'

• Cool 2
  • Boring 3

[DOG]
Members
812 posts
14,321 battles
3 minutes ago, lloyd1701 said:

While I applaud making steel and research points available to all players it's the sound of one hand clapping since the research points are only going to be awarded to those players who qualify for the Research Bureau in the first place.

If someone doesn't qualify for the Research Bureau in the first place, then accumulating RPs does them no good (except for possibly stockpiling up points for some eventual future when the do).  I don't have a problem with the proposal (and yes, I do qualify and I'm in the process of my first reset).

• Cool 2

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,377 posts

i don't see this as a bad idea... i dunno how many RP are required for anything... but if you rewarded all players with them, those that never unlock RB won't matter regardless and those that do will have something to use the points on (maybe... again I dunno the costs)  If it's anything like steel and takes years to earn at 20/day....   i don't see the issue awarding them to everyone.

[12TF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,250 posts

I don't understand why new players can't do the same thing that everyone else who gets the small benefit, has already done.  Personally, I would view it as an insult that someone would think that I need an easier road or special treatment that others didn't need, as if I am not capable of doing something that others are.

The white knighting is always "for the new player" but if you watch this forum, very few of them actually complain about these things themselves.  They usually just want help with the basics of the game, so they can get to it.

I think we should let them speak for themselves.

• Cool 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,377 posts
3 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

I don't understand why new players can't do the same thing that everyone else who gets the small benefit, has already done.  Personally, I would view it as an insult that someone would think that I need an easier road or special treatment, as if I am not capable of doing something that others are.

The white knighting is always "for the new player" but if you watch this forum, very few of them actually complain about these things themselves.  They usually just want help with the basics of the game, so they can get to it.

it is normal in a game that ages...  something new will come along (perhaps it already has in the form of the RB), if you take it as an insult you need to rethink it through, it is not about you.

[BUOY]
Members
1,348 posts
16,903 battles
1 minute ago, dashtardly said:

If someone doesn't qualify for the Research Bureau in the first place, then accumulating RPs does them no good (except for possibly stockpiling up points for some eventual future when the do).  I don't have a problem with the proposal (and yes, I do qualify and I'm in the process of my first reset).

There are flag packs you can buy that are now affordable with this daily reward if you have 0 interest in the big ticket items and over a year even the 1200 / month adds up to 250k FXP and then some or the majority of a UU.

In any case, the RB now has valuable stuff besides the 250k 'bad deal' (which just got a bit better now that you just have to play the game to earn RP), Colbert or Ohio and every player should earn the RP they'd be awarded from completing the basic daily missions instead of only RB qualifying players.

Heck, WG can even leverage this into a hype / moneymaker in say, 'banking' RP for ineligible players so when they do unlock it they get their 10k starter PLUS all the rest they earned.

[12TF]
9,250 posts
7 minutes ago, SKurj said:

it is normal in a game that ages...  something new will come along, if you take it as an insult you need to rethink it through, it is not about you.

I am perfectly capable of doing things that others have done.   If other people did it, not only do I strive to do it too, I strive do it better and faster than they did.

I don't need or want any special treatment.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,377 posts

just like typical mmo's that reduce exp to gain levels.... when the game expands...  and yet here levels haven't been added, just new currencies with shiney's that can be earned... so without adding new levels what else is there?  make it easier/quicker for the new players to 'catch up'  which in this case means making steel and perhaps RP available to everyone...  they did the same in tanks a couple years ago... yes there was the crowd complaining like you...  but in the long term it hasn't hurt the game, wg came up with new ways for the leet to still get new shiney's and eveyone is sort of happy...

only issue in tanks is they gave the leet players chances to earn very op tanks...

[12TF]
9,250 posts
3 minutes ago, SKurj said:

just like typical mmo's that reduce exp to gain levels.... when the game expands...  and yet here levels haven't been added, just new currencies with shiney's that can be earned... so without adding new levels what else is there?  make it easier/quicker for the new players to 'catch up'  which in this case means making steel and perhaps RP available to everyone...  they did the same in tanks a couple years ago... yes there was the crowd complaining like you...  but in the long term it hasn't hurt the game, wg came up with new ways for the leet to still get new shiney's and eveyone is sort of happy...

only issue in tanks is they gave the leet players chances to earn very op tanks...

All I am saying is that it always seems to be the long term players "saving" the new players.  Maybe they don't want saved.  It's presumptuous to assume so.

If it isn't about me or "us", let's let the people whom it is about, speak for themselves.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,377 posts
2 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

All I am saying is that it always seems to be the long term players "saving" the new players.  Maybe they don't want saved.  It's presumptuous to assume so.

If it isn't about me or "us", let's let the people whom it is about, speak for themselves.

not sure what you mean by saving...

just know that it may not be the long term players keeping the game afloat...  wg needs to attract new players and keep them as long as they can get money out of them...   

i have never liked seeing things locked behind clan play, it is not something i am interested in, perhaps in my younger years sure.  Even if those shiney's are not op, if they are unattainable to a certain chunk of the population they may well be "perceived" to be op.  The advantages veteran players have are not removed, reduced or watered down in any way if this is done properly and from what I have seen from tanks.. they certainly have kept the veterans happy since doing this.

[F4E]
[F4E]
Members
803 posts
14,331 battles
28 minutes ago, lloyd1701 said:

Which means everyone who hasn't ground out at least 3.5 million ship xp is screwed out of a potential 1200 RP / month. This strongly discourages new and casual players alike and creates a distinct split between the haves vs have nots for a very valuable resource that, unlike clan oil, is individual to a player.

Put another way, research points are like elite captain xp in that under normal circumstances you need a 19 point captain to earn any... but during special events like Halloween 2019 you have 19 point event captains that allow everyone to earn ECXP regardless as well as when the daily chains are XP oriented, the ECXP is awarded for completing the mission. Now with RP it's like WG is having an event where instead of 19 points the captains are 15 pointers.

Also, daily missions now read 'Earn 1k/1.3k BXP in winning battles AND have 5x T10 line ships researched.'

What the heck snowflake!! Discourages? Don't be ornery. Want the resource? Grind out the lines to earn the resource just like everyone awarded did.  

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[12TF]
9,250 posts
9 minutes ago, SKurj said:

not sure what you mean by saving...

just know that it may not be the long term players keeping the game afloat...  wg needs to attract new players and keep them as long as they can get money out of them...   

i have never liked seeing things locked behind clan play, it is not something i am interested in, perhaps in my younger years sure.  Even if those shiney's are not op, if they are unattainable to a certain chunk of the population they may well be "perceived" to be op.  The advantages veteran players have are not removed, reduced or watered down in any way if this is done properly and from what I have seen from tanks.. they certainly have kept the veterans happy since doing this.

Again, you are assume that those new players are going to throw a fit and leave, if they don't get a short cut.  That assumed situation must exist for these threads to make any sense. 

Short cuts to goals get you there faster but the reward is devalued.  The sense of accomplishment is diminished.

It's entirely possible that they don't want rewards that mean less to them than they did to us.  It's possible that they want to the chance to earn those rewards in the same way that others did.

If you watch these forums, the players who ask for these short cuts for the "new players" to "save the game", are rarely the new players themselves.  It's a lot more often a long term player with concerns about said new players, who haven't actually said anything and are just playing the game....just like "we" did.

[EQRN]
Members
2,244 posts
20,563 battles

Sorry, was there anything in RB worth getting?  That wouldn’t take years at 1200rp/month to earn?  The UUs are getting the bat at the moment.  

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,377 posts
7 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Again, you are assume that those new players are going to throw a fit and leave, if they don't get a short cut.  Short cuts to goals get you there faster but the reward is devalued.  The sense of accomplishment is diminished.

It's entirely possible that they don't want rewards that mean less to them than they did to us.  It's possible that they want to the chance to earn those rewards in the same way that others did.

If you watch these forums, the people who ask for these short cuts for the "new players" to "save the game", are rarely the new players themselves.  It's a lot more often a long term player with concerns about said new players, who haven't actually said anything and are just playing the game....just like "we" did.

no i am not... this is normal progression for a game as it matures

your experience is not devalued, if it was so great write it down so you can save it for your golden years if you aren't there already...    knowing this could have happened at any time, why do you feel you had to walk both ways uphill in middle of winter so everyone else should have to as well?

You also got to grind out upgrades before the RB...  that is gone...  

[12TF]
9,250 posts
6 minutes ago, SKurj said:

no i am not... this is normal progression for a game as it matures

your experience is not devalued, if it was so great write it down so you can save it for your golden years if you aren't there already...    knowing this could have happened at any time, why do you feel you had to walk both ways uphill in middle of winter so everyone else should have to as well?

In using a short cut that others didn't get, my experience and the reward are absolutely devalued in comparison.  Earning something myself means a lot more than someone giving me half the answer because they were afraid I would fail or give up, if they didn't.

Again, we should let people speak for themselves and not assume what we want for them, is what they want.

Anyway, I have shared my opinion.  That IJN DD line isn't going to regrind itself.  Cheers.

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,476 posts

Oh, sorry, thought this was another Colbert hate thread....

Anyways 1200 RB points are useful for getting that last 10k or so points so you don't have to grind another line just to get enough RB points for one RB ship.  It will take 52 months for anyone to get enough to get a ship by just doing dailies. 16 months just to unlock a special upgrade. 11 months to get enough for 250k free XP (which oddly means it will only take 42 months to get enough points to unlock a free XP ship using only RB points). 

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,377 posts

I am basically in your position in tanks, and if i weren't here in warships i wouldn't be able to relate to what the "gap" is between new and old players.  It isn't what it was a few years ago, the gap is widening and steel ships, RB etc only serve to widen that gap.  I find it difficult to relate to a new player in tanks today after playing it for 10 years, and I imagine you suffer from the same malady.

[WOLFG]
Members
1,139 posts

All I hear about is how bad players are these days.  Doesn't the RB just encourage people to level as fast as they can?  I know most people think the RB rewards are not OP, but to an average player they will still become the goal.  I know it sounds bad, but newer players should not be looking at a two year grind just to come up with something close to what long term players can get.  It distracts them from learning the game and getting better.  Isn't that what everybody wants?

[DHO-2]
Beta Testers
1,250 posts
11,232 battles
3 hours ago, lloyd1701 said:

Can you re-word this please?  Sorry I went to Public School.

So if I have the RB unlocked I should be getting 1200 RP/Month?  I have the RB unlocked for the last 4 months and I'm still on 10,000 starting RP.

As for the RB rewards, there are 2 ships in there (last I looked) and I doubt ether of them will change the new player experience.

Steel and coal provide a lot more options for buying captains and ships.  Coal is available daily and is a much better resource (IMHO).

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,377 posts
4 minutes ago, madgiecool said:

Can you re-word this please?  Sorry I went to Public School.

So if I have the RB unlocked I should be getting 1200 RP/Month?  I have the RB unlocked for the last 4 months and I'm still on 10,000 starting RP.

As for the RB rewards, there are 2 ships in there (last I looked) and I doubt ether of them will change the new player experience.

Steel and coal provide a lot more options for buying captains and ships.  Coal is available daily and is a much better resource (IMHO).

RP will be coming as a daily reward up to a max of 1200/month but only to players that have RB unlocked...  

• Cool 1

[DHO-2]
Beta Testers
1,250 posts
11,232 battles
1 minute ago, SKurj said:

RP will be coming as a daily reward up to a max of 1200/month but only to players that have RB unlocked...  

Thank you

:Smile_great:

[INTEL]
Members
1,780 posts
16,453 battles

Screw it.

WG, please issue every new player a Stalingrad, 5 T10 ships of their choice, and a Graf Zepplin. While you're at it give them enough ECXP to build 5 shiny new 19 pnt capts. 500 mil Credits, 400m FXP and a friggen partridge in a pear tree.....

NO. 3.5 million ship XP isn't hard to acquire. All it takes is to play the flippin game. You don't even have to be good at playing the game. If you suck and want to speed it up buy the flippin Prem time and Econ signals in the prem shop. I've got tech tree ships with over a mill ship XP and I don't have 400 total flippin matches on ANY tech tree ship.

I don't care if it feels like WG filled your tube of KY with sand.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,377 posts
1 minute ago, Ares1967 said:

Screw it.

WG, please issue every new player a Stalingrad, 5 T10 ships of their choice, and a Graf Zepplin. While you're at it give them enough ECXP to build 5 shiny new 19 pnt capts. 500 mil Credits, 400m FXP and a friggen partridge in a pear tree.....

NO. 3.5 million ship XP isn't hard to acquire. All it takes is to play the flippin game. You don't even have to be good at playing the game. If you suck and want to speed it up buy the flippin Prem time and Econ signals in the prem shop. I've got tech tree ships with over a mill ship XP and I don't have 400 total flippin matches on ANY tech tree ship.

I don't care if it feels like WG filled your tube of KY with sand.

yet another ..  

images.jpg.9f47b8282da0faee97ddbc9a1a39b4db.jpg

[INTEL]
Members
1,780 posts
16,453 battles
1 minute ago, SKurj said:

yet another ..  

images.jpg.9f47b8282da0faee97ddbc9a1a39b4db.jpg

You're quite welcome on my lawn. When you put in the time and effort to earn your way onto it. The SAME WAY I DID. Whiney self entitled snowflakes. Especially the BETA TESTER who somehow has more forum posts than matches!

How does that even happen anyway? 1661 matches is what? Less than 350 a flippn year?

• Boring 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,377 posts
4 minutes ago, Ares1967 said:

You're quite welcome on my lawn. When you put in the time and effort to earn your way onto it. The SAME WAY I DID. Whiney self entitled snowflakes. Especially the BETA TESTER who somehow has more forum posts than matches!

How does that even happen anyway? 1661 matches is what? Less than 350 a flippn year?

didn't play between 2017 and 2020 maybe

Sign in to follow this