You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
sabeqt

Why do unarmed torps appear to "glide" right under target ships?

12 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
377 battles

Not really a naval buff so go easy please 

Edited by sabeqt
clarity
  • Cool 1

Members
3,112 posts
6,705 battles

I understand the question, and don't have an answer for you, but I think you should get torpedo hit ribbons with a "Ricochet" like you would for an AP shell bounce when it happens.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,881 posts
16,361 battles

Well, they shouldn't, unless it's a situation with deep water torpedoes.  They should destroy themselves on the hull as shown in this video ... 3:20

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
3,552 posts
13,910 battles
28 minutes ago, sabeqt said:

Aloha,

This is a known issue and is being worked on to clear, the same thing can happen if you shoot an island that you are near at time and sometimes the shells head out still to the target. Are you talking about the torpedo just continuing out away from you if it doesn't detonate?

Mahalo,

-Hapa

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts
34 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

I understand the question, and don't have an answer for you, but I think you should get torpedo hit ribbons with a "Ricochet" like you would for an AP shell bounce when it happens.

i also think you should get hit ribbons for your torps that land from the same spread after the one that dealt the killing blow...

• Cool 1

[RAZE]
Alpha Tester
242 posts
6,560 battles

i remember few patches ago,  i ate  1 unarmed torp from CV to avoid my ally ship getting torped.

so it worked, and bugged in one of recent patch i guess.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,985 posts
14,281 battles
8 hours ago, sabeqt said:

Torpedo has not armed, so it will go under your boat.  Air or ship is too close to you when they launched, there is a minimum arming distance.

Members
617 posts
81 battles

Seems realistic to me,  if torpedoes reach their target prematurely they wont have time arm and thus bounce off the hull instead of exploding.

Torpedoes are not mines, which explode on contact.

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles

If I am understanding the question right, the reason is because the torpedo is not armed, meaning it will not explode on contact.  Instead, it bounces off of the target ship and into the water.

Best way to see it visually imo is the movie, "Midway".  There is one specific scene I can recall when a torpedo doesn't arm properly or early enough, causing it to just dent the ship, bouncing off the armor and sinking below

[STW-N]
Beta Testers
196 posts
25,209 battles

Think the depiction in Midway was that the US torpedoes had problems with duds.  So they switched pilots to dive bombers squadrons. 

[_BDA_]
Members
310 posts
4,878 battles
3 minutes ago, hard_calibers said:

Think the depiction in Midway was that the US torpedoes had problems with duds.  So they switched pilots to dive bombers squadrons. 

That is not the reason they used dive bombers at all.  It was supposed to be a coordinated attack by dive and torpedo bombers together, but the squadrons became separated with the torpedo bombers arriving first.  By the time the dive bombers arrived, the Devastators had already been butchered by the Zeros that comprised the combat air patrol and had descended down to the surface to kill them.  When the Dauntless squadrons arrived the carriers were exposed, and the rest is history.

Members
4 posts
377 battles
8 hours ago, kishan99 said:

If I am understanding the question right, the reason is because the torpedo is not armed, meaning it will not explode on contact.  Instead, it bounces off of the target ship and into the water.

Best way to see it visually imo is the movie, "Midway".  There is one specific scene I can recall when a torpedo doesn't arm properly or early enough, causing it to just dent the ship, bouncing off the armor and sinking below

Shouldn't it bounce toward the opposite direction and not travel "through" the ship? Sorry i wasn't reffering to detonation, and i understand that aspect now