You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sinsokira

Roma yes or no

28 comments in this topic

Members
31 posts
345 battles

Hello. as the title says this is about the italian BB the Roma, i have had interests in getting her and would like some honoest opinion on her.

Is she a good battleship and worth the investment, have you guys player her or against her and is there anything major wrong with useing her. I have read the wiki, watched videos and reviews on her but would like players opinions on her.

[SALTY]
Beta Testers
383 posts
6,387 battles

She shoots like a sprinkler...

Draw your own conclusions.

[FML]
Members
3,930 posts
15,457 battles
8 minutes ago, Sinsokira said:

Hello. as the title says this is about the italian BB the Roma, i have had interests in getting her and would like some honoest opinion on her.

Is she a good battleship and worth the investment, have you guys player her or against her and is there anything major wrong with useing her. I have read the wiki, watched videos and reviews on her but would like players opinions on her.

No. 

Firstly, you have too few battles for a high tier ship yet - of course, you are welcome to buy it, but you wont have a very good time as the 'meta' of the game is quite different at high tier. 

Secondly, the Roma itself is a bit of a difficult, feast or famine, type of ship.  See Yuro's video here for some entertaining play. 

If you are interested in buying a premium ship, a discussion on what premium ships are good value for newer players can be found on my New Player Guide Premium Ships for New Players.

Good luck!

Members
31 posts
345 battles

oh i know i have far to few battle for something like her, im just asking about her know to get an idea for when i do get up to around t8 to have something planed out, plan ahead type of deal :)

[-KIA-]
Members
818 posts
10,857 battles

Hmm, all I can say is that she's in between yes or no...
Yes because of fast turret traverse, good concealment range, and penetrates armored BBs at medium range
No because of always (or most of the time) over penetrating cruisers, bad AAs, may end up in tier 10 match with CVs.

I still bought her since she's beautiful.

[FML]
Members
3,930 posts
15,457 battles
7 minutes ago, Sinsokira said:

oh i know i have far to few battle for something like her, im just asking about her know to get an idea for when i do get up to around t8 to have something planed out, plan ahead type of deal :)

Right.  In that case, I still think there are better T8s, including T8 battleships, than the Roma.  As outlined in that thread I linked, the Massachusettes and Tirpitz are both probably more fun.  And definitely easier to play.  

Edited by UltimateNewbie

[O7]
Members
1,493 posts
10,811 battles

suffers alot with the guns , the amount of overpens (romapens) is scary.

good conceal, great turret traverse and looks purty but those guns can be mega trolly.

[FML]
Members
3,930 posts
15,457 battles
1 minute ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

looks purty

With or without the beer can?

PErsonally, I really like the beer can camo - except for the beer can itself. Made it a no-deal.  

[WOLF3]
Members
26,967 posts
23,767 battles

She's not worth it.  Guys can and do, do well with her.  But she's more trouble than she's worth.

First is the very exposed Citadel.  Any other BB catches your sides, you're losing 3/4 of your HP in one go.  But a good player can protect that Citadel.

The real damning thing with Roma is her derpy guns.  They're wildly inaccurate.  The HE shells suck, the AP has super high pen and velocity, meaning you Overpen Cruisers all the time, but the AP does wonders against heavy armor ships.  But it's the inaccuracy of her guns that undermines EVERYTHING with this ship.

You can play smartly, protecting the Citadel.

Your aim is sound, you know where the shells need to be to be effective.

But all your efforts are thrown out the window because of how bad the accuracy is of the main battery.  You don't have good secondaries, you don't have torpedoes, even your AA makes Tirpitz look like a No Fly Zone.  So when you know your main battery is unreliable, it gets disheartening after a while.  You have no offensive tools but your main battery and you can't rely on them.

A side note for historical purposes, the Italians did have issues with their 381mm guns because the shells were manufactured inconsistently.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNIT_15-50_m1934.php

"The Model 1934 was extremely accurate and was able to deliver very consistent and predictable patterns with devastating hitting power - with the ammunition used for trials. Unfortunately, the materials and supply process in Italy works differently than it does in most other countries. In the U.S., for example, if one wished to test a sample of 16" shells, they might pull an example from stock, and inspect it directly. In Italy, the firm producing the equipment would have the advantage of providing the item for test, thereby possibly delivering an example which would be of atypically good quality with respect to serialized units. This was the problem with the Model 1934 - the firms producing the ammunition did not all produce projectiles of proper quality. [Admiral Angelo] Iachino complained about this in post-war books. Some actions showed a run of good projectiles, where others were plagued by terribly bad examples. Possibly the greatest contrast was seen between the shooting of Littorio in the first battle of Sirte Gulf and that of Vittorio Veneto in the 28 March Guado encounter. Despite the fact that Littorio was shooting at targets 32,000 yards away while Veneto was attacking at first Orion and afterwards Gloucester at only 24,000 yards, the Littorio's shot groups were significantly more consistent, despite the greater range, doubtlessly owing to a batch of properly fabricated 381-mm projectiles."

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[O7]
Members
1,493 posts
10,811 battles
1 minute ago, UltimateNewbie said:

With or without the beer can?

PErsonally, I really like the beer can camo - except for the beer can itself. Made it a no-deal.  

the beer can is really off putting, i like the standard camo

Members
1,660 posts

If you're getting her because you like the ship, the history, or some other non-game related reason, by all means get her!  World of warships is replete with collectors of various types.

If you're getting her because you want a balanced and predictable ship to fight battles in, find another ship.

If you're getting her for the Beer Can camo you should be flogged with wet noodles by nuns.

• Funny 3

[RBMK2]
[RBMK2]
Members
491 posts
11,277 battles

Mine stays in port until a snowflake event rolls out. There are many other T8 BBs I would choose over her.

She is beautiful though.

[AAYC]
Members
50 posts
7,890 battles

i enjoyed playing Roma. she is quirky, if you buy it be prepared for overpens. i have the kobayashi camo.  earns good credits

[INTEL]
Members
13,033 posts
35,958 battles
6 hours ago, Sinsokira said:

She can be good but unfortunately her AA is even more useless than most ships'. She's easily farmed by CVs, which is why I no longer play her in Randoms. Otherwise she'd be a ton of fun with excellent conceal and brutal guns. 

Members
4,451 posts
19,415 battles

The only thing that Roma's guns can reliably hit is the water.

Edited by ReddNekk

[PVE]
Members
11,783 posts
24,411 battles

@Sinsokira

Save your money = a big NO! IF you want to buy a good T8 Premium BB get Mass or maybe even better for you would be Alabama. Mass needs a more specialized Capt to fully play to it's potential and Alabama is just a good solid BB that can use a base Capt.

My opinion of Roma based on 100 games played with it (well 99 but close enough)...

PRO:

• Concealment - Roma has excellent concealment when running a full stealth build (CE for Capt and CSM1 in slot 5) at just 11.7km. That is better than a lot of Cruisers can get to.
  • Turret Rotation - Roma's gun turrets swing pretty fast for a BB. You can get it down to 26.9 sec if you run EM on your Capt which is excellent for a BB. It means your turrets can be on one side of the ship during a turn and by the time the turn is complete they are almost fully swung around and ready to go vs still playing catch up.
  • Armor - Roma can bow tank and angle like a champ to threats in front of the ship.
  • Speed/Maneuverability - Nothing great but all are good for a BB at T8.

CON:

• Main Guns - they SUCK! No other way for me to put it. They are some of the most inconsistent, trolly, and frustrating guns in the game.  They remind me of Kronshtadt's guns. The accuracy is atrocious at any kind of range and isn't very good close up either for that matter. For every ranged volley that lands and does damage you will have 20 that make you go WHAT HAPPENED??? So is the answer to play close and mitigate the poor range accuracy? You would think yes but really it is no. The velocity of the shells is so high that you mainly get overpens when in close. You can't win with it's guns because to deal with 1 issue it makes the other issue appear and vice versa. Roma's guns are not reliable and it is all the ship has for offense. The best way I can describe to you how bad the guns are is this... put Roma inside a barn, close all the doors, and then tell it to shoot the barn; Roma would miss! 
  • Secondary Guns -  Roma has a decent number of them at 12X1 90MM and 4X3 152MM. However the base range is low at just 5.3km so with a full Capt/Module/Flag build you can only get them to 8km. The 90MM are mostly useless outside of starting fires and the 152MM's have such a long reload (12 sec) they won't be a huge help. About all they are good for is a yolo'ing DD. Basically meh.
  • AA - Roma's AA doesn't look bad in port with all those guns but it is all small caliber ineffective guns. The range is very low as well at just 4.6km. The AA is not good at all on Roma. Honestly, it is pretty much the worst T8 BB, tech or premium, for AA. Only Amagi comes close to being as bad and at least Amagi has 5.8km range. CV's are not afraid of Roma at all.
  • Armor - Yes, I listed this as a PRO as well. What I said above is true but the armor is also a CON. Roma has a HUGE and very vulnerable citadel. IF you don't angle properly, or god forbid get caught broadside, you are going to get hammered. The stern armor is also not very good so going away Roma gets punished too. 

So, FWIW to you, that is my opinion of the ship. 

One last thing. I commend you for knowing you don't have the game experience to play a T8 ship yet. Most don't think of that, buy one, then get roflstomped when they try and play in T8 MM with just a few games under their belt. Nothing wrong with buying a T8 early if you wait for the experience to play it properly so :Smile_great: 

The person who got me into WOWS gave me great advice when he said don't buy Premiums higher in tier than you see in your normal play and don't rush through the tiers; play all nations and all ship types. I will pass that on to you now FWIW.

Good luck to you in the game. Also, the above is just my view of Roma and YMMV. Lots of people seem to like it but I think it is fair to say the large majority dislike it or don't care for it though. 

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,031 posts
10,080 battles

Were it me, I'd wait to see how Impero / AL Littorio shapes up.  That way you can purchase whichever one is better.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Members
1,660 posts
1 hour ago, tjaluk said:

i enjoyed playing Roma. she is quirky, if you buy it be prepared for overpens. i have the kobayashi camo.  earns good credits

Earns good credits but that camo is a crime against humanity.  You can't un-see that beer can...

UGLY2.thumb.jpg.8489c7e8ec144f98c92a8b2d987fa0a6.jpg

[SUR]
Members
75 posts
5,492 battles

You now can occult Kobayashi camo and get their full benefits but showing standard camo, very good move.

image.thumb.png.bac5cc575ff3ad6d504cf0c20aed9f40.pngLook, i take a pic for you.

Edited by moretti6
Image add

[IRNBN]
Members
3,351 posts
9,672 battles

The Aroma has been stinking up a slot in my port for years. Like the Marblehead and T2's, it's just there to make sure a crate drop isn't wasted on another one.

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

Yes and no, depends on wht you expect from her. If you want a ship for fun and casual gameplay, yes. If you want a ship for performance and carry games than no. 

I like Roma, IMO its one fo the most beautiful ships in the game, ship has great armor and concelament, and togheter wit the turret traverse allows you to pull some reallly nice plays. But the guns are very troll, one salvo you get a dev strike, te next one you dont even hit the enemy  ship, the next salvo you ge ta citadel, the other one  is just overpens. IMO Roma is a fun ship, but unreliable due to the gun performance.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,019 posts
13,269 battles

Roma is among my favorite T8s. I fare much better and get more damage than its dispersion reputation would cause one to think.

That having been said, I do not think the Roma is new-player-friendly. Short gun range, and and dispersion inconsistency will frustrate newer players.

@Sinsokira, you asked in another thread about Alabama, among other ships, along with the Roma. Take the Alabama if you simply MUST get a T8 BB. Yes, it’s vanilla and will get dull, but at 344 battles under your belt, vanilla, along with maneuverability and reasonably reliable guns, is what you need.

Members
829 posts
5,746 battles

I’m going to go against the grain and say Roma is one of my favorite T8 BBs if not my favorite outright. I think it has something to do with her sneakiness or how she moves. Yes she doesn’t get to shine as well in CV games since it hurts her stealth but her guns...too powerful for her own good. Maybe it’s the fuse timers I don’t know. As stated above you will overpen broadside cruisers. You will even over pen some BBs. But you can also dev strike T10 BBs at mid range or vaporize cruisers out of position. Her guns are nimble which feels great with her own nimbleness. It allows you to ambush or feint and then swing guns to the other side while the enemy takes forever to turn guns. You do get the occasional derpy salvo but I feel that happens in every BB. If this thing had less overpens and decent AA it’d be a monster but skilled hands can make her work.

[-N-]
Members
2,217 posts
14,703 battles

Roma, is a love/hate relationship.  You love her for the shell velocity, you hate her for her shell velocity (overpens.)  When you connect you hit like a ton of bricks.  The thicker the armor on the ship you are shooting at the better, very good against broadside Russian BBs.  Did I mention possibly worse than German Dispersion?   But she is fun and highly maneuverable.  Because of the dispersion the Beer Can/Vino Vat camo is quite fitting as there are times you feel your gun crews might actually be taking a nip or two.