Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Zaydin

So how did WG decide on a 35 knot speed for the Halland?

39 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,253
[SPTR]
Members
27,144 posts
16,377 battles

Halland isn't Russian and WG devs is like "hmm... maybe we'll take off 2 knots from Halland's top speed , don't worry, its not like the swedish doesn't make the majority of our playerbase, so they won't be loud enough of their complaints, just in case we'll make the AA suite really strong to distract the players from its less than stellar speed"

  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,098
[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,915 posts
26,901 battles
23 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Balanz Comrade.

Damn, that's my answer xD

WG don't care about real stats. They only do it, when it's about glorious Soviet paper ships.

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,668
[O7]
Members
1,030 posts
4,406 battles

Because gameplay comes first, as it should be.

If Halland was any faster, it would be too good of a gun boat.

  • Cool 4
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,147
[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,707 posts
13 minutes ago, DolphinPrincess said:

Because gameplay comes first, as it should be.

If Halland was any faster, it would be too good of a gun boat.

It's already about tied as the slowest tier 10 destroyer with the Daring; only thing that helps it compared to the Daring is the Engine Boost. I don't think giving it two more knots would put it on Khab, Kleber or Marceau level gunboat capabilities. You might have a high RPM in the Halland but your range is short. Pretty much every tier 10 DD outranges the Halland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,668
[O7]
Members
1,030 posts
4,406 battles
22 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

It's already about tied as the slowest tier 10 destroyer with the Daring; only thing that helps it compared to the Daring is the Engine Boost. I don't think giving it two more knots would put it on Khab, Kleber or Marceau level gunboat capabilities. You might have a high RPM in the Halland but your range is short. Pretty much every tier 10 DD outranges the Halland.

Two things matter when it comes to gun boat DDs, DPM and effective DPM.

Halland have the first and not the second, if it had both it would be on the same class as a Khab. Kleber, or Marceau

Daring have effective DPM despite not having speed because it have extremely good smoke, something that Halland does not have.

As for range, you either have long range spammers like the RU DDs with the shell velocity to do so, or short ranged spammers that rely either on speed or smoke.

Daring and Gearing have smoke, while Kleber and Marceau have speed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,610
[WOLF3]
Members
27,034 posts
23,838 battles

Performance wise, Halland is doing fine, as-is, at this point.  I don't think she rates any changes for better or worse right now.

Using EU Server values, because they're a larger population than us and the players there have played the EU DDs a lot more than even the larger RU Server.  Russian players don't seem to keen on this new line.

Battles Played / WR% / Dmg Avg

Halland (EU server):  155,674 battles (most out of the servers) / 51.55% WR / 50,744 Dmg Avg

 

EU Server stats for other Tier X DDs, 1st Quarter 2020

Shimakaze 789,231 / 49.53% / 43,962

Harugumo 190,692 / 49.26% / 50,867

Z-52 176,672 / 48.98% / 33,352 (I'm not a DD Main, but this looks terrible)

Kleber 90,111 / 52.63% / 53,152

Marceau 22,273 / 52.95% / 47,536 (Stats pulled from WoWS Stats & Numbers link that I got Halland from.  New DD, not many battles played, take her stats with a grain of salt)

Yueyang 93,375 / 93,375 / 50.64% / 47,479

Daring 119,990 / 53.64% / 47,178

Grozovoi 99,955 / 50.56% / 41,692

Khabarovsk 63,577 / 50.25% / 53,224

Gearing 354,346 / 48.72% / 41,688

Somers 63,044 / 56.19% / 59,635

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38
[ENDO]
Members
81 posts

LOL. Giving her 37kts would not make her OP. Her potential DPM is a joke. She has to angle out to much to use both turrets. I smoke Hallands 9/10 with my Gearing. Halland is good for one thing. Sitting close to your friendlies, spotting, and throwing tight packed fast torps into smoke to kill dumb HE spammers. Everytime I see a Halland try to gunboat it's like watching a puppy getting kicked in the head. They get exactly what the deserve. To slow and fat to escape death. Sit down. Spot. Launch fast fish. Protect your friends with AA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,889
[SYN]
Members
15,860 posts
12,803 battles

WG prospectively lent out knots of yet to be added DDs to make the Khab go 60 knots and the Klebber to go 70 knots.

So now WG is at a deficit of knots that must be paid off.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,701
[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
3,524 posts
13,889 battles
6 hours ago, Zaydin said:

Aloha,

So um....  are we debating .2knts?

shot-20.05.11_09.25.00-0297.jpg

And then in real life ships didn't have "Engine Boost" also, this is not a simulation game, it is more of an arcade with some historical influence. And game balance is also necessary.

Mahalo,

-Hapa

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
651
[NUWES]
Members
3,132 posts
10,683 battles
6 hours ago, Zaydin said:

There are two obvious possibilities (among others):

1. Wargaming changed it for balance purposes. Lots of examples of them doing this both up and down. The Lyon class battleships in particularly have a speed that is much higher than it should be and is pretty much complete fiction for the purposes of game balance. 

2. Wargaming's research showed that while it was listed at 37 knots, but it really could only do 35 in service. There are plenty of examples of listed ship characteristics being incorrect in fact. Wikipedia lists the Mogamis as 8,500tons standard displacement but if you read history books (and deeper into the Wikipedia entry itself) on them you see that was never their actual displacement. That is just what the Japanese reported based on the earliest design version. As built they were over 11,000 tons standard displacement. I think the Italians rated the top speed on their cruisers based on the max speed the ship could attain in trials when unloaded and overtaxing the engine, even though they couldn't get close to the listed speed in service. 

There is some internal reason they are using a different speed. They probably won't tell us why and I'll be honest, her missing 2 knots is low on my list of concerns. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,635
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,662 posts
14,743 battles
33 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

35kts according to this also, from the book "Destroyers: An Illustrated History of their Impact"

To me 37kt seems dubious in general. Halland generated 58,000 SHP which on 2,600t for 37kt seems high. Daring is a little heavier at 2,800t and a little behind on SHP at 54,000 and was historically about 34.5kt at standard displacement, clean.

Getting another 2kt on 4k SHP is pretty unlikely all else being equal, you're into serious diminishing returns as the power to speed is a steep curve at 35kt.

 

Given the wide range of speed tests available full load, standard, clean, deep, overloading the engines, on a test run in shallow water which boosts speed etc. all the speed values are a bit dubious. Some ships have much better documentation listing SHP, speed and displacement during testing and which course they ran, but '37kt on wikipedia' is low value. Wikipedia also has Daring at 30kt because it's written by an idiot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
73
[KIDOB]
[KIDOB]
Members
61 posts
21,238 battles
6 hours ago, DolphinPrincess said:

If Halland was any faster, it would be too good of a gun boat.

 

Gun WHAT???

 

 

LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL

 

sigh,

 

YOU ARE GOOD

 

it wouldnt even gun down a kagero. lol

 

  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
4,287 posts
6,522 battles
16 minutes ago, mofton said:

To me 37kt seems dubious in general. Halland generated 58,000 SHP which on 2,600t for 37kt seems high. Daring is a little heavier at 2,800t and a little behind on SHP at 54,000 and was historically about 34.5kt at standard displacement, clean.

Getting another 2kt on 4k SHP is pretty unlikely all else being equal, you're into serious diminishing returns as the power to speed is a steep curve at 35kt.

 

Given the wide range of speed tests available full load, standard, clean, deep, overloading the engines, on a test run in shallow water which boosts speed etc. all the speed values are a bit dubious. Some ships have much better documentation listing SHP, speed and displacement during testing and which course they ran, but '37kt on wikipedia' is low value. Wikipedia also has Daring at 30kt because it's written by an idiot. 

I mean there's much more suspect speed values in the game. Many of the French destroyers have speed values that are extremely generous relative to the speeds of Halland/Daring/Gearing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,701
[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
3,524 posts
13,889 battles

Folks,

This is NOT a simulation game. There are MANY mechanics in the GAME that do not match what occurred in real life.

-Hapa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
809
[BONKS]
Members
694 posts
3,405 battles
18 minutes ago, Gigia said:

 

Gun WHAT???

 

 

LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL

 

sigh,

 

YOU ARE GOOD

 

it wouldnt even gun down a kagero. lol

 

Don't consider your own poor standards as a baseline for what a ship can or can't do..

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,635
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,662 posts
14,743 battles
10 minutes ago, Aetreus said:

I mean there's much more suspect speed values in the game. Many of the French destroyers have speed values that are extremely generous relative to the speeds of Halland/Daring/Gearing.

The whole 20% French engine boost was a big shark-jump to me (and the 30% on Smalland even moreso). The irony of the mid-tier French DD being 'fast' while being generally unremarkable on base speed is quite strong.

Before that there have been examples of fairly questionable speeds, but generally in a minority - Montana/Iowa come to mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
451
[GOOF]
Members
669 posts
5,873 battles
7 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

Damn, that's my answer xD

WG don't care about real stats. They only do it, when it's about glorious Soviet paper ships.

     Hahaha that is funny comrade, you voice your opinion greatly hahaha.

     Now go to Gulag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,668
[O7]
Members
1,030 posts
4,406 battles
1 hour ago, Gigia said:

it wouldnt even gun down a kagero. lol

image.png.d71bd3d9fe6c21c3e60d29f43a663e67.pngimage.png.aa8d7a9e5eba0ee0791d44002b6f2af1.png

 

PLEASE

Fact check before making a claim like that. Something with more hp and more than DOUBLE the firepower is not going to lose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
625 posts
19,884 battles

because just about every other source claims 35 knots, and it was also planned for 35 knots, and also game balance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
592
[NKOTD]
Members
1,047 posts
9,757 battles

Had this same discussion a while back on Friesland since its game speed is lower than IRL. 

It may be arbitrary, but as others have said.... there are bigger fish to fry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,902
[NH]
Members
1,761 posts
2 hours ago, DolphinPrincess said:

image.png.d71bd3d9fe6c21c3e60d29f43a663e67.pngimage.png.aa8d7a9e5eba0ee0791d44002b6f2af1.png

 

PLEASE

Fact check before making a claim like that. Something with more hp and more than DOUBLE the firepower is not going to lose.

One one those ships has guns that can actually hit stuff and the other doesn't. If we were going by raw numbers then a lot of ships should gun down bbs but that's not reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×