You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Destroyer_KuroshioKai

Frustrations abound with the meta. Dont get mad, get even.

22 comments in this topic

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,407 posts
13,429 battles

I have been in the competitive community a while.  Not as long as some, but longer than most.  Each season one thing would hold true.  The meta was always a radioactive dumpster fire to deal with.  Because they were well thought out comps.  The cutting edge Hurricane teams most often set the meta, and other clans seeing how frustrating it is to play against, they inevitably adopt it as their own.  Personally I and my clan mates at CUTER tend to hold the opinion that matching the in meta comp exactly forces you to rely on the hope you can out skill or out luck your opponent.  Hope is not a good plan.  This is why you often see us running a counter meta comp.

So tonight I was playing with the guys at RBMK and we had been kicking around ideas about how to counter the Venezia heavy comps.  So we get to talking on a break about the strong and weak points of the Hak, 2x Stalingrad, and Venezia comp.  So we get to brain storming a counter comp on the fly taking advantage of the limited spotting an all CA comp has, the weaker cap control, and what a smoke heavy flank might do.  We ran a full smoke Somers, a LU smoke Minotaur, and Salem on our pushing flank, with a LU Moskva, 2x Venezia on the kiting flank with a Midway as our CV.  This game is what followed.  

Having WG fix your frustrations with a meta is not a good idea long term.  It limits the amount of comps you will see over the course of the season, and that is less content in the game.  Instead take 10 minutes or so and talk out the issues with your team.  It will bring the team closer together, and make things that much sweeter when you conquer your frustration.

Is there any comps you guys have found success beating the Venezia comps?

• Cool 11
  • Confused 2

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,976 posts
20,643 battles

allways interested in your topics.

Thanks for this thread.

A couple of thoughts:

A couple HALLAND's to torp the Venezia. 

Or

A couple Hindies.

What's your thought on 3 Puerto Rico's, 3 Stalins and A Kremlin?

[IND8]
Members
323 posts
2,954 battles

I need to run with this guy for a while. That was fantastic.

[CVLUL]
3,407 posts
13,429 battles
2 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

allways interested in your topics.

Thanks for this thread.

A couple of thoughts:

A couple HALLAND's to torp the Venezia. 

Or

A couple Hindies.

What's your thought on 3 Puerto Rico's, 3 Stalins and A Kremlin?

I think AP is a bad way to tackle the Venezia issue.  They are so fast and nimble they can bounce most most of the AP unless you shoot the moment they turn out to shoot a full broadside.  Its why I like LU Moskva over Stalingrad.  You have much better HE DPM and fire chance.  Further I think a CV is completely superior to a BB.  The spotting alone is huge and a well played CV can dish out a ton of damage and prevent any low HP ship from escaping.  I think WG should have let the limit be 2x BB max or 1x BB 1x CV max.  Even then I still think the 1x CV tops the BB, but at least you are trading BB level of crossfire on a map.

Hindenburg with its huge superstructure tends to take a beating by Venezia.  Unless you can smoke it up and keep it concealed I think there are better options.  Smoking a Zao seems really intriguing if you dont need perma smoke, but I have concerns about the AA.  We ran a Mino just to make sure we had full smoke coverage if needed plus plenty of AA to protect the DD.  This is one of those comps, if the DD dies the game is lost.  Smolensk could be an option at longer ranges, but I like the Mino closer in and thats specifically how we wanted to fight.  If the shots were longer than 12-13km its probably best to just go dark and force the Stalingrads/Venezia/CV to spot you.  

10 minutes ago, Tyberius_D said:

I need to run with this guy for a while. That was fantastic.

I'm glad you liked it.

[PISD]
Members
1,266 posts
5,253 battles
5 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

We ran a full smoke Somers, a LU smoke Minotaur, and Salem on our pushing flank, with a LU Moskva, 2x Venezia on the kiting flank with a Midway as our CV. 

Was there a reason to use Midway instead of Hakuryu?

and I may look dum, but LU?

[LOS]
Members
864 posts
13,742 battles
4 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I think AP is a bad way to tackle the Venezia issue.  They are so fast and nimble they can bounce most most of the AP unless you shoot the moment they turn out to shoot a full broadside.  Its why I like LU Moskva over Stalingrad.  You have much better HE DPM and fire chance.  Further I think a CV is completely superior to a BB.  The spotting alone is huge and a well played CV can dish out a ton of damage and prevent any low HP ship from escaping.  I think WG should have let the limit be 2x BB max or 1x BB 1x CV max.  Even then I still think the 1x CV tops the BB, but at least you are trading BB level of crossfire on a map.

Hindenburg with its huge superstructure tends to take a beating by Venezia.  Unless you can smoke it up and keep it concealed I think there are better options.  Smoking a Zao seems really intriguing if you dont need perma smoke, but I have concerns about the AA.  We ran a Mino just to make sure we had full smoke coverage if needed plus plenty of AA to protect the DD.  This is one of those comps, if the DD dies the game is lost.  Smolensk could be an option at longer ranges, but I like the Mino closer in and thats specifically how we wanted to fight.  If the shots were longer than 12-13km its probably best to just go dark and force the Stalingrads/Venezia/CV to spot you.  

I'm glad you liked it.

Beauty!!!  Love your 2nd smoke, the 'fish hook'!  Then you  close the trap...reminds me of the final defense of Little Round top by the 20th Maine.

Always love that you explain your way of thinking.

Thanks for the vid.

[ARGSY]
Members
19,962 posts
14,258 battles
53 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

Legendary Upgrade, aka Unique Upgrade. The Minotaur gets an enhanced smoke generator, but I don't have mine yet so I can't say if it's worth it. For some specific tactical situations, it might be; @Destroyer_KuroshioKai should be able to expand on that.

[PISD]
Members
1,266 posts
5,253 battles
16 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Legendary Upgrade, aka Unique Upgrade. The Minotaur gets an enhanced smoke generator, but I don't have mine yet so I can't say if it's worth it. For some specific tactical situations, it might be; @Destroyer_KuroshioKai should be able to expand on that.

Oh ok. I have that upgrade on my mino but I prefer to run radar. Yes it is quite memesque to do some 45 sec line of smokes.

[NSEW]
Members
1,853 posts
10,653 battles
6 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Having WG fix your frustrations with a meta is not a good idea long term.  It limits the amount of comps you will see over the course of the season, and that is less content in the game.  Instead take 10 minutes or so and talk out the issues with your team.  It will bring the team closer together, and make things that much sweeter when you conquer your frustration.

+1

[CVLUL]
3,407 posts
13,429 battles
1 hour ago, Y_Nagato said:

It’s what our cv main wanted to try.

Legendary upgrades.  Sorry I’m too use to abbreviations that.

• Cool 1

[CVLUL]
3,407 posts
13,429 battles
45 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

To expand on it it turns Minotaur into a huge vape machine.  Lots of smoke to use and I believe lowers the smoke firing  range a bit too.

There are specific reasons why I would run Legendary on a ship or not. Had I taken my Gearing for example since I didn’t expect to be digging out DDs for my team the higher  torp and gun DPM without that LU would work better.

You have to really think about what you are trying to do with a ship then make the best build for it.

• Cool 1

[NSEW]
Members
1,853 posts
10,653 battles

I don't think any LU for CV's are 'working'. 

Personal choice perhaps, I reckon for whatever reason.

[PISD]
Members
1,266 posts
5,253 battles

Bad page

Edited by Y_Nagato

[ARGSY]
Members
19,962 posts
14,258 battles
1 minute ago, Y_Nagato said:

Yusuf was the strong men under Abd al- Malik of the Omeyyades and was the one that finished to fixed (modify) the text in 714.

and yes, thinking the Allah guided the hand of Muhammed is not a rational explanation. If a man write a “book”, chances are that he knew how to write. The idea that he did not is part of the cult to reinforce that the text is holy and cannot be criticized. 

That's an interesting context in which to discuss bucking the trend in a meta, but I fear it's far too politico-religious for the mods to let it survive long. :fish_panic:

22 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

You have to really think about what you are trying to do with a ship then make the best build for it.

Absolutely. It's to the point where I'm thinking that once I grab Hayate (for example), I should just stick her in my port and sit on her until she's copied across to my PTS (if they're still doing that), then play with slots 3 and 6 for a while before settling on them in the live server. I can see my intended use and your intended use being very different things; and while your advice is always very welcome, it's ultimately my responsibility to decide how I'm going to apply it to how I play IJN DD.

[PISD]
Members
1,266 posts
5,253 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

That's an interesting context in which to discuss bucking the trend in a meta, but I fear it's far too politico-religious for the mods to let it survive long. :fish_panic:

You were faster than I could delete it, it was not suppose go come here but on an other forum haha

[ARGSY]
Members
19,962 posts
14,258 battles

You were faster than I could delete it, it was not suppose go come here but on an other forum haha

Does this mean that someone on a religious discussion forum is wondering how an online 20th Century naval combat game fits into a debate on the early history of Islam? :Smile_trollface:

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[PISD]
Members
1,266 posts
5,253 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Does this mean that someone on a religious discussion forum is wondering how an online 20th Century naval combat game fits into a debate on the early history of Islam? :Smile_trollface:

All hail our lord and savior Warspite!

[ARGSY]
Members
19,962 posts
14,258 battles
Just now, Y_Nagato said:

All hail our lord and savior Warspite!

But it was the Queen Elizabeth that did shore bombardment for the Gallipoli campaign (and the other BBs which did it are unfortunately not in the game), although I'm not completely sure that anyone ever saw it in Christian vs. Muslim terms (and certainly Ataturk after the war did everything he could to build goodwill between Turkey and its former enemies; the words on the Gallipoli memorial say all that needed to be said).

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
39 posts
12,694 battles
30 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

But it was the Queen Elizabeth that did shore bombardment for the Gallipoli campaign (and the other BBs which did it are unfortunately not in the game), although I'm not completely sure that anyone ever saw it in Christian vs. Muslim terms (and certainly Ataturk after the war did everything he could to build goodwill between Turkey and its former enemies; the words on the Gallipoli memorial say all that needed to be said).

Thanks for bringing up the Ataturk’s inscription.  Learned something today. 

Edited by ORPBury

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,695 posts

I didn't get mad, or get even, I just got out.  

The meta in PVP is a big reason why I'm mainly a PVE player.