You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ghost_82_1

Is the G. Kurfurst good/worth it?

29 comments in this topic

[ZTEAM]
[ZTEAM]
Members
1 post
2,012 battles

Hello, as the title would suggest I am wondering if G. Kurfurst is any good, because I have heard mixed reactions and with the current cancers that is CVs and HE spam I am not spending 25,000,000 doubloons on something that is worthless

• Boring 1

[SIDE]
Members
4,705 posts

It's a solid boat. None of the t10 BB are bad. Kurf is tough, has good gunnery and hydro. Is only negatives are concealment and handling 

[ISLA]
Beta Testers
644 posts
12,085 battles
12 minutes ago, ghost_82_1 said:

Hello, as the title would suggest I am wondering if G. Kurfurst is any good, because I have heard mixed reactions and with the current cancers that is CVs and HE spam I am not spending 25,000,000 doubloons on something that is worthless

yep. love mine. full secondary build. I would recommend some more games under your belt for T10

[SEA-7]
Members
255 posts
5,184 battles

I just earned mine a week ago, great time in it so far. The current game isn’t exactly favoring close in BB, but regardless it’s a fun ship in the right circumstance. If you’re an aggressive player you will have fun with it. L I am assuming by doubloons you mean credits? With the clan discount the boat will coast 17 mil if I remember right? 

Members
6,152 posts
9,801 battles

An excellent T10 BB. She's built for brawling and shines in secondary and sec/survival build, esp when get her UU that has less MB rotation penalty than the MBM3 in slot 6.

Given the HE meta, FP is almost certainly required. I also recommend CE to help with her detection. Depending if you just hunker down or dodge, run DC1 or rudder mod in slot 4 respectively.

But oooh that MB dispersion is mostly horizontal, not vertical, so if you're good at placing accurate volleys, you'll do well enough. Need MS and secondary range mod (slot 2) minimum for the secondaries to be useful. Personally, it's not worth taking AFT since campfest is norm at GK's tiers and rarely will you be able to brawl for long.

GK is arguably the best T10 BB at tanking since it's impossible for most any player to get citadels; only been citted in mine by Shokaku/Enterprise/Haku AP DB, but it takes any of them a while to kill GK.

[SACH]
[SACH]
Members
990 posts

Hopefully that's 25 million credits and not dublooms . Nonship is worth 25 million dubs...lol. Not by my book anyway.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
1,032 posts
8,586 battles

If FDG didn't disgust you away from the GK then that's a sign that you might like it.

Members
1,058 posts
4,376 battles

I love all the German Battleships. Bismarck is my personal favorite, but the FdG and the GK are absolutely fun and very competitive. But as others stated, fire is an issue.

:SerB:

[REKTD]
Members
237 posts
9,612 battles

I love FdG, but haven’t been convinced of the GK’s greatness yet. Mine is a full sec build.

Frankly, the range (lack thereof) is a serious issue for me, as others have stated the brawling aspect of this game is essentially dead at T10 play these days. I have the Ultimate Upgrade or whatever those are known as these days, and it drops the Main Gun range to a silly 17.x! Honestly I’m saving credits to replace that with the range boosting one. T10  is just not a brawlers paradise, and Kreml probably takes that crown anyways.

[SACH]
[SACH]
Members
990 posts
4 minutes ago, SuperComm4 said:

I love FdG, but haven’t been convinced of the GK’s greatness yet. Mine is a full sec build.

Frankly, the range (lack thereof) is a serious issue for me, as others have stated the brawling aspect of this game is essentially dead at T10 play these days. I have the Ultimate Upgrade or whatever those are known as these days, and it drops the Main Gun range to a silly 17.x! Honestly I’m saving credits to replace that with the range boosting one. T10  is just not a brawlers paradise, and Kreml probably takes that crown anyways.

If I read it correctly in the 9.5 update in small tiny lettering it is stated WG will be changing up the special T10 abilities mod . What that means to GKs future is up in the air as far as a secondary main ship.

Let's see what kind of nonsense they do this time.

• Cool 1

[R-F]
Members
134 posts
9,019 battles

I hate it because of its terrible firing angles, secondary builds on it are only really for memes and wont be that effective unless you can charge a single ship down. Its honestly not in the best of places right now. 

[CHBAY]
Beta Testers
560 posts
3,670 battles

She won me 1st in ranked, so there's that. She's tough as old boots and can grind enemies down with some pretty nasty firepower when the flame spammers are destroyed.

• Cool 1

Members
4,462 posts
19,490 battles
4 hours ago, thebigblue said:

It's a solid boat. None of the t10 BB are bad. Kurf is tough, has good gunnery and hydro. Is only negatives are concealment and handling 

She can be seen from orbit and maneuvers like a garbage truck with flat tires. But she's a solid bote!

Members
110 posts
8 hours ago, MasterDiggs said:

If FDG didn't disgust you away from the GK then that's a sign that you might like it.

Yeah GK is actually a far better FDG.  And as far as I think any weakness in the GK is also there in the FDG - just worse in a few instances.   So if you can handle the FDG all right than the GK would be even better.   I like my GK.  I've moved on to grinding out other lines and other Legendary Upgrade missions but back in Dec and Jan when I was playing GK a lot, I would get a Close Quarters Expert achievement at least once all most every day with my secondary build.    

P.S.  The full secondary build does make you more vulnerable to fires.  I use a hybrid secondary build that sacrifices some rate of fire for faster consumable reload on the Damage control and repair party ( and hydro).  But I still have the max range on the secondaries and the manual secondary skill. 

P.S.  #2   You can also train a separate captain for a fire prevention tank build.    That way you can have the best of both worlds.  At some point I would like to have 3 GK captains   1 - full secondary build.    2 - hybrid secondary / consumable reload   3 - tank / fire prevention.    Right now I only have the 2nd captain.

Edited by jones_farragut_nimitz
Added 2 Postscripts

[SIDE]
Members
4,705 posts
12 hours ago, ReddNekk said:

She can be seen from orbit and maneuvers like a garbage truck with flat tires. But she's a solid bote!

I agree. None of them are particularly quick on their feet. Maybe Republic or Conq have a little more zoom zoom but their sheer size is too much to really overcome. Montana is a jack of all trades with good AA, reasonable handling and very good gunnery. Yamato is just an artillery platform with the most powerful main armament but has lesser AA, atrocious agility and is also visible from space. Kremlin has remarkable specialization in bow tanking but is superbad at slow speed agility. Republic can be quite fast when the speed boost is in effect, it's guns can cause a lot of damage and it has good secondaries but the risk of losing a turret and half of your guns is always in the back of your mind. Conqueror has decent agility, great fire chance, superb repair party and really good concealment but has a very small health pool and mediocre AA. Bottom line, they're all pretty solid boats with each one having its own distinct set of strengths and weaknesses

Edited by thebigblue

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,899 posts
17,948 battles
8 hours ago, ReddNekk said:

^^^this pretty much sums it up^^^

I don't venture into T10 that much, but this is often the BB I take when I do.

I do have an affinity for the KM brawl style and that doesn't seem to be the superior meta these days.  So, it's a good bote, but sub optimal for the meta it's designed to work in. 

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

GK is in a hard spot right now. The ship per se is not bad, but the current meta is not that good for her.

GK is a big and sluggish ship, HE spammers and CVs eat GK for breakfast. And if you are facing a IJN CV is even worse because those AP bombs melt a GK. Also, GK is a brawler, its supposed to get close into secundaries range, but this kind of gameplay is really hard to pull off, most of the times you are either going to die trying to get closer or be forced to stay at range where most other BBs are better. 

IMO, stay away from GK, at least for now. BBs that cna fight and medium and long ranges are just better. One of the best choices for BBs is Kremlin, good and ranges and if you see a oportunity to push it has a lot of armor to do so. 

[UEFN]
Members
1,336 posts
23,072 battles

I still love my GK, the best brawler out there with the troll secondary and excellent 420mm gun option.  The legendary upgrade is great, i play mine as close and mid-range support usually within 10 to 15km, so the max range of 19km with the legendary upgrade is never an issue for me. With hydro engaged the GK works very well in supporting DD and cruisers next to the cap, as long as there's enough islands to retreat and get behind as necessary, especially when you start being focus fire on.   Like any other ships you should be paying close attention to the minimap at all time, if you see a load of smol, harugumo, and worcester close by then plan for an escape route in advance.  I wouldn't get close to any caps in open water since she would get burn down very quickly by the HE spamming infestation out there.   If i want to play long-range sniping i take Yamato, Republique, Thunderer, or Montana.

Edited by Xcalib3r

Members
2,640 posts
4,263 battles

Depends.  Do you like a closer playstyle or do you like to at stay range?  The Kurfurst is a monster if you get her within 10km of the enemy.  She sacrifices two 150's from the Friedrich but upgrades her 105's to the much more reliable 128's and gains two more dual mounts to her count.  She also switches up to triple barrel mounts and gains an additional FOUR main guns up over her older sister,  giving her a total of twelve 406 or 420mm guns.  This gives her a decent 'shotgun' effect when firing at range that can net you a lot of lucky shots.   If you go secondary focused her AA is serviceable but not great but so long as you keep on your toes there's not a ton most CV's can do to you.

On the overall,  you probably learned early on if you liked the German BB line or not,  Gneisenau not withstanding.  The Kurfurst is the best in the line at what she does,  but if you don't enjoy that 'spitting distance' playstyle ((Or more specifically learning how and when to close distance in a meta that see's a lot of people running away)) then you probably aren't going to enjoy the Kurfurst.

Edited by Palladia
  • Cool 1

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,609 posts
10,459 battles

GK is a late game monster because of the close to mid range style of game play that suits it.  You will often get HE spammed to death if you try to get into that sweet spot range too soon.  I like the ship myself.  Its a lot of fun.

• Cool 1

[LZ1]
Members
260 posts
5,756 battles

The GK is great. The FDG is terrible by comparison. Full secondary builds are fun, but you almost never get to use them to their potential. I recommend going with a full fire prevention/tank build, but still use it as a brawler. The Hydro is awesome when rushing DDs and can't be overstated. Get the hydro run time mod to make it even more useful.

[CHBAY]
Beta Testers
560 posts
3,670 battles
3 hours ago, Xlap said:

GK is in a hard spot right now. The ship per se is not bad, but the current meta is not that good for her.

GK is a big and sluggish ship, HE spammers and CVs eat GK for breakfast. And if you are facing a IJN CV is even worse because those AP bombs melt a GK. Also, GK is a brawler, its supposed to get close into secundaries range, but this kind of gameplay is really hard to pull off, most of the times you are either going to die trying to get closer or be forced to stay at range where most other BBs are better. 

IMO, stay away from GK, at least for now. BBs that cna fight and medium and long ranges are just better. One of the best choices for BBs is Kremlin, good and ranges and if you see a oportunity to push it has a lot of armor to do so. 

The start of the match, you have to wuss out and let your team work over the flame spammers and DDs (keep shooting when you can though). Keep an eye on the mini map where the red DDs are at all times, that way you can be bow-on to a torpedo wall. After that, it's all fun and games while you devour ship after ship.