You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Weekend Spree 8-10 May 2020

32 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
24,419 posts
18,377 battles

Created my sixth 19 point Commander - my German ships now have their first.

Ground out the Martel B guns, the Maass B hull, and had a few exceedingly good DD games in Randoms. Finished my first pass through the "spot 200 torps" mission and made significant headway through the second. All in all a good weekend.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 5

[HELLS]
Members
2,845 posts
31,531 battles

Within 34,000 XP of completing my third double bonus line reset (USN CLs). When that is done this week I will have Colbert. Other than that, nothing going on, just like everyone else. Just talked with our son in Australia as he called his Mom for Mother's Day on Facetime. Going to be at least another year before he can come home again with the COVID-19 screwup. Stay safe, always...

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,463 posts
23,825 battles

No internet all day Saturday, having to paint my daughter's house all day Sunday. No gaming of any note... Bummer!

[SIM]
Members
5,848 posts
9,315 battles
2 minutes ago, Khafni said:

No internet all day Saturday, having to paint my daughter's house all day Sunday. No gaming of any note... Bummer!

At least you win at being a Dad. :cap_like:

Ranked was horrendous, which isn’t new. Picked up Orkan on the cheap now that you can use coupons for it. How is it? I don’t know. In the five-ish games that I’ve taken her out, I’ve scored in the top three in four of them, mostly on teams that couldn’t beat a drum. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,326 posts
14,923 battles

Testing on Friday and little game time, just a few co-op's. Saturday was good with WR just above 50% with many good games. Today has sucked, one win in five matches and the only reason I am still playing is I am trying to finish up my ten naval battles. One more to go and I am out no matter how good it goes although two in six sounds a lot better than one in six.

Edit: one for six. :Smile_facepalm:

Edited by BrushWolf

[PVE]
Members
11,071 posts
19,193 battles

I think I played 3 scenarios, not much incentive to play. Scenario rewards are down, yet they are a bit better for losses now. The Base xp part of the camo missions made me not want to try for them. I played 2 battles in the Jutland. I have like 7 days to get to the daring and play a battle so I can re-reset before next Research Bureau season. With like 93,000 xp to go I will probably end up using Free XP to get it done on time.

[BEA5T]
Members
5,286 posts
23,974 battles

Let's see, cashed in 1,250,000 EXP and bumped three more CPT's to 17 (instead of making one of the three a 19 pointer.)  The 200% added a lot.  Didn't play that much during the days available....  The Teddy Roosevelt match was Saturday all day and I took a first in lever action rifles and a second in the pistol category...  A LONG match shooting real steel with real bullets is always so much better than make believe.....  Didn't play on Mother's Day or, as some call it, Christmas V.........

I did get to see the GS's Blitz account and good grief.......the lad has a lot of ships....!!!  The Ise and a Black Kamikaze were demonstrated.  I want them.  His posse has been "extracted" from the PC version and they are now safely in Blitz and congratulated on the stealth and cunning they used to accomplish that that they weren't suppose to do...........  The Mom's have been alerted and I'd bet they'll comply this time.

Other than that, miserable weather foretasted this next week so I may have to play this game more.........to miserable to shoot.

Edited by Asym_KS

[PEKO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
27,999 battles

Finished the new campaign and had enough elite XP to get Jerzy to 19 points asap.

Friday was good (8/10 wins), Saturday a nightmare (5/22 wins), Sunday made me forget about the day before (17/23 wins). 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
24,419 posts
18,377 battles
3 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

Finished the new campaign and had enough elite XP to get Jerzy to 19 points asap.

What???! I thought stage 5 hadn't even opened yet! Or am I misreading that because I haven't yet finished Stage 4? Probably am. Nice work.

4 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

The Teddy Roosevelt match was Saturday all day and I took a first in lever action rifles and a second in the pistol category...  A LONG match shooting real steel with real bullets is always so much better than make believe....

Nice! I haven't shot much steel at all, but it's so satisfying when the plates drop with a nice loud "ding!"

The only problem is, it militates against using low-recoil target loads.

Members
448 posts
16,604 battles

I had a pretty uneventful weekend.  Played a little WoT each day (the new Berlin mode); then a lot of WoWs.  Made a little progress on various lines, and have two stars left of the 2nd task to unlock the final.  Have to love the 200% first win bonus for progress in ship lines.  Worked casually on the free camos, but doubt I'll get through them by the 15th deadline (still on the first task for most of them).  Oh well.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,419 posts
18,377 battles
14 minutes ago, chrisope said:

Worked casually on the free camos, but doubt I'll get through them by the 15th deadline

I looked at those, and realised that:

1) Any of the camos I could win for premium ships that I have won't do anything their as-issued camos don't already do.

2) Any of the camos I could win for tech-tree ships are irrelevant because I'd already won permacamos for those ships in-game (and the New Orleans has one available for free in a coal-crate collection, though it only boosts captain XP and not ship XP).

3) Some of those permacamos (Alabama, Okt Rev, Duke of York) are for premium ships I don't have and am not interested in buying! :Smile_veryhappy:

They are pretty snazzy if you don't already have a permacamos for Minsk or New Orleans and you want one. I would advocate buying them then. But the rest are superfluous eye-candy and should be bought or ground for with that in mind.

Go for the ones which will actually add value to your inventory. NOTE: If you already have Baltimore, you don't really need the NO one because you're not under pressure to grind ship XP on the New Orleans (get the free one in the collection); if you already have Kiev and Ognevoi, you might not need Minsk's unless that ship is your Waifu. However, if you don't yet have Minsk and the Russian destroyers interest you, she would be worth getting a permacamo for because she is a line-split branch point and you will have to grind her twice; 109K for the Kiev (researched straight from main guns) and IIRC and quite a bit more for the Ognevoi (105K, but you have to go through 18.5K XP for Hull B and 10K XP for Torpedoes B first in order to get her).

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1

Members
448 posts
16,604 battles
36 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

because she is a line-split branch point and you will have to grind her twice; 109K for the Kiev (researched straight from main guns) and IIRC and quite a bit more for the Ognevoi (105K, but you have to go through 18.5K XP for Hull B and 10K XP for Torpedoes B first in order to get her).

Those were my thoughts also re the camo's.  Nice eye candy, but not worth the grind for them. I do have most of the premiums, and I think all of the tech-tree ships that the camo was offered for; but it was something to see what progress could be made over the weekend with the 200% first win bonus (very little I might add; probably get to the 2nd stage on the russian one for the Oktober; but that's it).

Re the Minsk:  I have her and have been slowly grinding to the Kiev and Ognevoi (not sure which to do first), but it's a long slow grind (I think I have 50k xp on her so far).  And then to do it again for the other line...not the most appealing.  But, I'll get there eventually.  Have been in no rush in this game; I really play for pleasure and relaxation; something to get the mind off of engineering (and, I've always loved history and the ships/vehicles of WW2).

[SRBL]
Members
551 posts
15,066 battles
11 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Created my sixth 19 point Commander - my German ships now have their first.

Ground out the Martel B guns, the Maass B hull, and had a few exceedingly good DD games in Randoms. Finished my first pass through the "spot 200 torps" mission and made significant headway through the second. All in all a good weekend.

Got up to Bud in my grind to Mosk. Capt is up to 16 points, should get to 19 by the end. Also completed Mission 4 in the Euro campaign. 

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
805 posts
6,316 battles

I have been playing to build up my credit stock and in so doing had researched a pretty good handful of ships that I hadn't paid for. Lo and behold! Discounts on ships and upgrades! So Sinop, Budyonny, New Orleans, and Leander all joined my stable. Also made some good headway on some others with the 200% bonus. 

[ARGSY]
Members
24,419 posts
18,377 battles
54 minutes ago, chrisope said:

And then to do it again for the other line...not the most appealing.  But, I'll get there eventually.

Oddly enough, I ground my Minsk mostly in co-op. I love the mode, YOLO rushes are viable, you mostly need to get within < 4km to hit anything with torps anyway, and the high win rate keeps me going. In retrospect I should have ground the B hull and torps out before going for the Kiev, but I'd won a Halloween Kiev permacamo and pre-trained Kiev monster captain the previous year, so she seemed the better bet. Ognevoi's permacamo came later, and so did her grind priority.

• Cool 1

[WOOKY]
[WOOKY]
Members
652 posts
12,789 battles

My last match in the Kagero to was a Kraken with 150k damage. Was running full eco flags and earned enough XPS to get the Yugumo. High point of Sunday!!

Burned through over 30m credits to finish fitting upgrades to all my ships. Had been holding out for the 50% off sale for some boats I don't play very often.

Several 5 star Naria runs, but ended by getting sunk before I could finish the transports in my last match. Caught a cit  from the BB and got consecutive double fires by the fort\DD 

[AAA]
Members
815 posts
19,428 battles
7 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

Friday was good (8/10 wins), Saturday a nightmare (5/22 wins), Sunday made me forget about the day before (17/23 wins). 

4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

What???! I thought stage 5 hadn't even opened yet! Or am I misreading that because I haven't yet finished Stage 4? Probably am. Nice work.

Unlocked Jerzy early Sunday morning and pulled the trigger on the Smaland for good measure.

Its funny that the last task to get him is actually the easiest of all.

shot-20.05.10_18.08.22-0643.jpg

Members
448 posts
16,604 battles
12 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Oddly enough, I ground my Minsk mostly in co-op. I love the mode, YOLO rushes are viable, you mostly need to get within < 4km to hit anything with torps anyway, and the high win rate keeps me going.

I've been playing mostly co-op for the last 6-12 months probably.  Some dabbling in randoms, but not as much as I probably should be playing.  But I do enjoy the more relaxed atmosphere in co-op rather than the sometimes vitriol in randoms (better for relaxing).  And co-op fits my more aggressive-style of play (yolo-ho!).  The 4 km torps are a pain, but workable as you said (8 km or better are preferred by me, but, is what it is).  I'll keep on Minsk until I unlock the next tier DD.  What would you recommend unlocking first?  Ognevoi or Kiev?

12 minutes ago, contag10n said:

My last match in the Kagero to was a Kraken with 150k damage. Was running full eco flags and earned enough XPS to get the Yugumo. High point of Sunday!!

Nice way to finish, congrats!

• Cool 1

[EQRN]
Members
2,238 posts
20,498 battles

Finished Hipper and probably Dmitry (~250k, what the Moskva replacement should cost to research).

Blew 200m over credits on discounted ships and upgrades, including half price upgrades for the rental ships which will be auto-demounted into inventory soon.  

I didn’t expect any ship discounts until possibly the anniversary, but in the past couple weeks bought the Akizuki, Ibuki, Yugumo, Hsienyang, Gearing, Sov Soyuz, Lion, Devonshire, Jutland and Henry IV to start co op grinding modules due to ship sales, bravo Zulu WG!  Also bought back a lot of T8 and 9 ships in anticipation of possible snowflakes since they tend to get the best rewards.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,419 posts
18,377 battles
6 minutes ago, Rabin69 said:

Its funny that the last task to get him is actually the easiest of all.

It often is. Mission 5 in both the Yamamoto and Halsey campaigns felt like a downhill sprint compared to the first two, but that's possibly because I was much more experienced and savvy about how I tackled the campaigns, and had built up a far more diversified fleet. Better workman with better tools. I think the final task to get the Shinonome was "Play a random battle". I could have let my 9yo daughter do that!

3 minutes ago, chrisope said:

What would you recommend unlocking first?  Ognevoi or Kiev?

Having both, it's a difficult choice.

Kiev can be a fun gunboat, and when she's upgraded her torps reach out to 8km. Leaving that tyranny of 4km torps behind was refreshing, since I was playing mostly co-op but some randoms at the time.

Ognevoi's reach out to 10, but you have to play her more cautiously. She starts out with two triple launchers, which with the appropriate choice of captain skills reload in under a minute, very rare at T8 (until recently). The torpedoes have no upgrade as such, but Hull B pushes the launchers up to quintuples at the expense of a significantly lengthened reload. I have actually gone back to the A hull because I prefer to play her as a torp spammer. Ognevoi also doesn't have to trade her smoke away to get a heal. She is perhaps the more versatile ship, but that versatility has a much higher skill floor and quite probably does not suit the co-op meta.

• Cool 2

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,318 posts

Finished grind to N carolina and bought it while on sale, hoping to make it to vlad this week

Spent some time in my prems trying to save up the credits to buy vlad and Bismarck

Got new PC together and replaced the old one - surprisingly easy these days to get a new build up and running.  I started Saturday morning and had WoWs and most of my games up and running by noon.. and all my personal stuff in windows..

Sunday... well after new pc build... packaging and pc parts all over the house so cleaned up..

bought ultimate admiral dreadnoughts...

[ARGSY]
Members
24,419 posts
18,377 battles
Just now, SKurj said:

bought ultimate admiral dreadnoughts...

Let me know what you think. I'd be interested in tossing money at it if it were a stand-alone (even in limited capacity), because we know WOWS won't be forever (as much as some of us would like it to be) and it has as its core the one thing my son wanted WOWS to have that it doesn't (the shipbuilding function). I saw a few vids on it, and the economic tradeoffs in the shipyard look interesting.

[WOLFG]
Members
12,612 posts
11,708 battles

Picked up the 15th start in stage 5 for Halsey.  Final mission left.

Got within 20K of finishing the New Orleans grind.

Got to the Bretagne on French BBs (Maybe it is better fully upgraded).

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,318 posts
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Let me know what you think. I'd be interested in tossing money at it if it were a stand-alone (even in limited capacity), because we know WOWS won't be forever (as much as some of us would like it to be) and it has as its core the one thing my son wanted WOWS to have that it doesn't (the shipbuilding function). I saw a few vids on it, and the economic tradeoffs in the shipyard look interesting.

it is just single player and not all that pretty, but the shipbuilding piece is what attracted me to it..  they may have plans to add multi down the road not sure.  I was a big naval action player so don't mind supporting these guys.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,419 posts
18,377 battles
3 minutes ago, SKurj said:

it is just single player and not all that pretty

I can deal with that. The ultimate question is this: can it be played without an internet connection?