You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
theLaalaa

WG's "Take A Break" event....

75 comments in this topic

Members
1,596 posts
25,089 battles

...is almost upon me. Watching iChase's vid on this upcoming "Dock" event

...and not being a premium time player, I plan to take some weeks off this game. I look forward to it....

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,129 posts
14,323 battles

I wouldn't listen to iChase if he told me the sun rose in the east. I found him to be the least helpful CC I have ever encountered.

• Cool 13
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 17

[HELLS]
Members
2,663 posts
27,182 battles

It's not my kind of grind. For me, since I already have Graf Spee and they will only be giving credits instead of doubloons as compensation, the whole thing is a waste of time.

• Cool 6

Members
1,596 posts
25,089 battles
14 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I wouldn't listen to iChase if he told me the sun rose in the east. I found him to be the least helpful CC I have ever encountered.

I tend to respect truth, whatever the source. And like @GrandAdmiral_2016 I have the Spee and don't want to end up despising the game chasing a mediocre premium that demands I pay real money for, which is a non-starter.

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,990 posts
5,814 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

IChase at the very least is honest and speaks his mind, even though that has gotten him into trouble before. I can sympathise with why he has become so jaded with this game. I for one at least can respect his words far more than those of certain fawning WoWs fanboys out there.

Regarding the event I am apathetic. Got no real interest in Odin, and already have Graf Spee and HSF Graf Spee.

• Cool 6

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles

Meh...most of the event is completed by simply playing.  You don't have to focus all that much on specific tasks outside of a few.  I'll just play normal and keep an eye on it, and what I get done, i get done.

I can respect though the fact that wargaming is at least being up front and honest with this though.  That is what i think CCs aren't really seeing.  Chase seems to think there is a hidden agenda here and he may be right, but at least we have the information and know that Graf will cost X, and Odin will cost Y.

• Cool 3

[CK5]
Members
1,373 posts
14,328 battles

I am pretty ambivalent about the event.  I will play my normal game, as @Old_Baldy_One suggested, and maybe collect some incidental rewards as I progress.  I have the Graf Spee already and am not sure about the Odin's value to me.  In short, the event is not on my radar.    

• Cool 2

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,539 posts
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I prefer my CCs to be both informative and at least reasonably entertaining to watch.  iChase is just...cranky...all the time.

• Cool 2
  • Confused 2
  • Boring 2

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,644 posts
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

I prefer my CCs to be both informative and at least reasonably entertaining to watch.  iChase is just...cranky...all the time.

I like Flambass; he may complain a bit but he's a very good player and the things he says and how he reacts are oftentimes utterly hilarious.

• Cool 5

[ANKER]
Members
247 posts
4,943 battles

if the CC is not Bias..i'll listen to them but it will not change my own opinion and judgement it's still my choice if i'm gonna grind that or not..it's only a game not a life..not getting paid to spend hours of quality time. Just enjoy the good part of the game. o7

• Cool 3

[WORX]
Members
10,648 posts
18,555 battles

Ah yes, Ichase...

• Thank Ichase for the AA disaster we have now.
  • Ichase, former great RTS player... Now drama, complainer and conspiracy for views
  • Thank Ichase for the current CVs being disproportional.
  • Ichase never have been an advocate for balance play or ships...
    • In other words, he is advocating power creep products. 

During the NA pod cast, if someone does all the dock yard CMs... You will get a tier 8 ship for a tier 5 ship price.

Yet, Ichase states its a trap... "Raging for views" Ichase. 

• Boring 8

[A-D-F]
7,539 posts
11 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I like Flambass; he may complain a bit but he's a very good player and the things he says and how he reacts are oftentimes utterly hilarious.

Yeah I mean I understand that everything isn't always happy and good but, he doesn't enjoy the game anymore. It doesn't make for a pleasant viewing experience.

[IJNKB]
Members
4 posts
2,930 battles

"Why is the price 35k dubloons for a crap Tier 8 ship? It's because they're FORCING people to play the event to lower the price!! It's all the sunk cost fallacy, a buzzword I'm misusing because it applied to PR"

This crap is why I hate iChase. 35k dubloons is expensive, no doubt, but it doesn't just give you. And, as he says in this video, you can reduce that price. And it isn't the only thing you get. It's about the same price if not cheaper than if you bought an admiral pack and a tier 6 cruiser. You get everything that would get that plus more. Not to mention the directives should be simple for even a casual player, though they'd probably need to play a little more. His attempts to play them off as a hellish grind is a bit sad.

I also fail to understand how WG is "forcing" people to play the directives and how it's malicious. If someone doesn't want Odin they won't care, if they do they'd be grinding for it anyway.

iChase only complains for the sake of complaining. WG could give every player one premium of their choice for free, no questions asked, and he'd complain that it wasn't two.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[--K--]
Members
1,343 posts
10,208 battles
24 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Ah yes, Ichase...

• Thank Ichase for the AA disaster we have now.
  • Ichase, former great RTS player... Now drama, complainer and conspiracy for views
  • Thank Ichase for the current CVs being disproportional.
  • Ichase never have been an advocate for balance play or ships...
    • In other words, he is advocating power creep products. 

During the NA pod cast, if someone does all the dock yard CMs... You will get a tier 8 ship for a tier 5 ship price.

Yet, Ichase states its a trap... "Raging for views" Ichase. 

It’s hilarious you think a CC has the power to change anything WG does.

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
7,539 posts
6 minutes ago, BarneyStyle said:

They do. 

They rarely are the ones that discover a problem with the game but they are always the ones that highlight it.  They put the spot light on something that might otherwise be glossed over and once they do that, the community becomes aware and starts yelling, loudly.

WG then tends to actually take a look at it and decide if they are going to take action or not.

CC have absolutely influenced the game's direction in the past.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[WORX]
Members
10,648 posts
18,555 battles
15 minutes ago, BarneyStyle said:

It was his advocacy for change... WG cite his videos for the changes... Therefor your statement make no sense....

I am only reminding who Ichase is, what he has achieved while raging for views to benefit himself..

Therefor take his opinion with caution of the above noted in mind...

• Boring 2

[PHU]
Members
204 posts
4,791 battles

The directives aren't finalized, but I doubt they'll make it easier. Heck, wouldn't be surprised if they made it slightly harder when it goes live. The agenda is always money. It's not surprising, but I absolutely agree that it's meant to incentivize people into spending money after investing time. That's the main point that the video is making, but these events are there for those who have more time on their hands than others do, and as of right now, that's a lot of people. Some people just play without paying attention to events. I'm one of those people because I don't really play the game enough to make any progress in these grindfest events, but even if I did, I have personal unrelated reasons to why I don't want to spend money on the game anymore.

The event is being compared to Cossack's, which isn't fair at all because Cossack was only $1 and they offered 10 of the required tokens for $1 in the premium shop, significantly decreasing the amount of grind that was needed. Even though Cossack's event was much longer and spread out through multiple patches, the directives weren't demanding. Even as someone who barely played the game, barely had any signals and camos, and only had few ship lines and nations researched, I was able to buy Cossack. This was fantastic in my eyes, as previous events really weren't kind to new players. I paid $2 for a T8 DD and the time investment in the directives wasn't even noticeable. I played very few ships and only about 5 to 8 battles a day, Randoms and Coop combined. I was a happy boi.

With the exception of the 200% doubloon coupon, the game kinda tends to screw over new players. I wasn't able to get Duke of York because I had barely played for 1 month. The Indianapolis marathon made me hate the game for a while and I took break because of it. Obviously no one is forced to do anything, but it definitely feels like an obligation if you only have a handful of premiums or none. The game requires a lot of time investment to even participate in events. I guess that's why there's Graf Spee, to toss a bone to those people who have no chance of getting Odin. IMO, consolation prizes are never really exciting. Everyone who's new wants a shot at a discounted T8, but it's just not gonna happen for them.

As for Odin's performance, it can always be buffed like Cossack was after its event, but it also might not. It's not guaranteed, so it may or may not be mediocre/bad/good/whatever. It's a gamble to go for one if you're basing the decision purely on stats.

Overall, the general nature of F2P games is you can get the shiny if you have time or money. If you have neither, you get nothing. I've only played two F2P games (Star Trek Online and Azur Lane), but I'm really used to events with freebies being newb friendly, not just intended for an existing player base. WG seems like they won't be changing in this aspect. I don't believe any jargon of "We don't want new players getting high tier ships and jumping into high tier games." That boat sailed a long time ago. I laugh at the idea that making the grind difficult for newbies is a form of "damage control." WG doesn't care. It's just about getting moolah. $1 easy grinds aren't coming back.

My two cents.

[FGNE]
Members
960 posts
4,568 battles

No need to take a break from the game, simply don’t pay attention to such event, unless you do care for the event there is nothing that forces you to it.

As for the other topic. CCs are like news networks, you can watch as many as you want, but your should always make your own mind.

• Cool 3

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
868 posts
2,737 battles
4 hours ago, theLaalaa said:

and not being a premium time player, I plan to take some weeks off this game

Indeed.  This event is insidiously designed to extract stupid amounts of money just like the previous PR event.  The difference is the structure is better designed to hide the greed, so much so the bigger CC's are praising WG for the improvement.  iChase gets it though, WG simply cannot be trusted.

Edited by Snarky_Wombat
  • Confused 1

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
4 hours ago, theLaalaa said:

...is almost upon me. Watching iChase's vid on this upcoming "Dock" event

...and not being a premium time player, I plan to take some weeks off this game. I look forward to it....

That dude would ruin a free lunch.  You could win 1 billion dollars and this dude would make you cancel your self after talking with him.

He must be very fun at party because wow what a downer.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
2 hours ago, Bill_Wilson_CIA said:

"Why is the price 35k dubloons for a crap Tier 8 ship? It's because they're FORCING people to play the event to lower the price!! It's all the sunk cost fallacy, a buzzword I'm misusing because it applied to PR"

This crap is why I hate iChase. 35k dubloons is expensive, no doubt, but it doesn't just give you. And, as he says in this video, you can reduce that price. And it isn't the only thing you get. It's about the same price if not cheaper than if you bought an admiral pack and a tier 6 cruiser. You get everything that would get that plus more. Not to mention the directives should be simple for even a casual player, though they'd probably need to play a little more. His attempts to play them off as a hellish grind is a bit sad.

I also fail to understand how WG is "forcing" people to play the directives and how it's malicious. If someone doesn't want Odin they won't care, if they do they'd be grinding for it anyway.

iChase only complains for the sake of complaining. WG could give every player one premium of their choice for free, no questions asked, and he'd complain that it wasn't two.

You could win the lotto and you would walk away depressed after talking with him for 2 min.

He must be a blast at party's.

• Boring 1

Members
4,458 posts
19,466 battles

So we're going to have to spend doobs to acquire a badly nerfed ship?  Uh-huh. 
1813991498_Caseofmoney.gif.b978f4bc2fa551d156fd73b97659ab93.gif

[T-R-F]
Members
596 posts
17,088 battles

because it's not enough of a change guys. it's this better then PR? Yes sicne they are upfront but is good? NNNNOOOO. I remember days when you could grind and get good ships. Like Graf Spee, or Duke of York. Hell even Bismark at one popint if you put the time into it. Now that is no longer enough. they have to have moola. Well they lost mine long ago and that will not change till i see MAJOR changes.

• Cool 1

Members
1,225 posts
5,930 battles

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree this event is terrible. The grind is fine but the rewards are complete garbage.

• Cool 1