Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Nordlaender

Looking for advice re: Ryujo (IJN CV)

8 comments in this topic

[SF-13]
[SF-13]
Members
592 posts
8,961 battles

Hi,

I just promoted my captain to a 19 point captain on Ryujo, and I have 4 points that I can put somewhere.  I would like to know what other people have chosen beyond the basic ones that all CV players choose.

I am thinking of using Concealment Expert as my last skill.  This would put my detection radius under 9 km.  Ryujo cannot survive long if detected, so I always stay hidden when possible.

I don't see the usefulness of Demolition Expert since Ryujo uses AP bombs and I would only get 1% for rockets.  That's not a lot for three captain points, it seems to me.  Maybe I'm wrong though. I could also try Adrenaline Rush with Improved Booster (one point skill) and then... Last Gasp?  I don't even know what that skill does.  It is not very clear.  Anyone know?

I only consider AR because many times my plane is shot down right when I hit the drop button, so if it were a little faster, I would be able to launch more bombs and torpedoes before my last plane is destroyed, but I don't know this for sure.  It just happens a lot.

Currently I have:

Air Supremacy, Improved Engines, Torpedo Acceleration, Survival Expert, Plane Armor, and Sight Stabilization.  I have four points left.

What have other people used their last 4 points for on Ryujo?

Thanks for any advice.

[KSC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,333 posts
13,216 battles
20 minutes ago, Nordlaender said:

Hi,

I just promoted my captain to a 19 point captain on Ryujo, and I have 4 points that I can put somewhere.  I would like to know what other people have chosen beyond the basic ones that all CV players choose.

I am thinking of using Concealment Expert as my last skill.  This would put my detection radius under 9 km.  Ryujo cannot survive long if detected, so I always stay hidden when possible.

I don't see the usefulness of Demolition Expert since Ryujo uses AP bombs and I would only get 1% for rockets.  That's not a lot for three captain points, it seems to me.  Maybe I'm wrong though. I could also try Adrenaline Rush with Improved Booster (one point skill) and then... Last Gasp?  I don't even know what that skill does.  It is not very clear.  Anyone know?

I only consider AR because many times my plane is shot down right when I hit the drop button, so if it were a little faster, I would be able to launch more bombs and torpedoes before my last plane is destroyed, but I don't know this for sure.  It just happens a lot.

Currently I have:

Air Supremacy, Improved Engines, Torpedo Acceleration, Survival Expert, Plane Armor, and Sight Stabilization.  I have four points left.

Thanks for any advice.

Concealment Expert is actually rather strong on IJN in general.  Their torp planes start with 7.5 km detection base, so that drops it to 6.7 km.  Having the additional room to surprise flanking battleships by going wide can be very powerful.

If you're looking for more points, you can take them from Torpedo Acceleration since the IJN torps start at 50 knot base.  That's a personal preference though, and the +10% Engine Boost/Last Gasp is not going to be missed on IJN CVs.

Edited by Ahskance
  • Cool 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,606 posts
13,182 battles
2 hours ago, Nordlaender said:

Hi,

Currently I have:

Thanks for any advice.

My Ryujo's captain skills, 

Air Supremacy, Improved Engine Boost, and Last Gasp (because I had a point left over)

Improved Engines

Suvivability Expert and Aircraft Armor

Concealment Expert and Sight Stabilization.

I'd dump Torpedo Acceleration like a bad habit. It doesn't actually help aircraft carriers. Torpedoes are actually time fused weapons in game, so the increased speed of the torpedo in coupled with a proportional increase in the arming distance. The end result is, the target has the exact same amount of time to react to the torpedoes, you have to lead the target by the exact same amount, and you've given the torps more distance to spread out over if they aren't perfectly aimed.

If you want to test this, look at the stats of your torpedo bombers, and then send your captain to reserve. You'll see the arming distance drop.

• Cool 1

[SF-13]
[SF-13]
Members
592 posts
8,961 battles

Hey, 

Thanks to all for that advice.  I didn't even know that IJN planes had such low detectability.  I assumed all planes could be seen at 10 km by any ship.  Wow.

I also didn't know the arming distance increased with the Torpedo Acceleration skill.  That is not what I wanted, but I first used it with Hermes and it worked well.  I guess I could maybe dump that one the first chance I get to do it for free.

Does anyone know if Last Gasp applies only to planes in the air when your ship is destroyed or to the last plane in every squadron?  It is not clear on that point.

I did test the additional plane skill (one point skill) and found that it did not add a plane to patrols nor did it help with shooting down planes around the ship.  The number shot down always stayed at about 3, so it was kind of worthless.

Improved Engine Boost helps some, but it also adds to the time required for the consumable to reload.  Why do they have to give with one hand and then take with the other? 

Sheesh.

[KSC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,333 posts
13,216 battles
1 hour ago, Nordlaender said:

Hey, 

Thanks to all for that advice.  I didn't even know that IJN planes had such low detectability.  I assumed all planes could be seen at 10 km by any ship.  Wow.

I also didn't know the arming distance increased with the Torpedo Acceleration skill.  That is not what I wanted, but I first used it with Hermes and it worked well.  I guess I could maybe dump that one the first chance I get to do it for free.

Does anyone know if Last Gasp applies only to planes in the air when your ship is destroyed or to the last plane in every squadron?  It is not clear on that point.

I did test the additional plane skill (one point skill) and found that it did not add a plane to patrols nor did it help with shooting down planes around the ship.  The number shot down always stayed at about 3, so it was kind of worthless.

Improved Engine Boost helps some, but it also adds to the time required for the consumable to reload.  Why do they have to give with one hand and then take with the other? 

Sheesh.

The +1 Fighter is only to ship-based consumables.  So it's purely +1 to your CV's defensive fighter, which will go many matches without ever being used.

[SF-13]
[SF-13]
Members
592 posts
8,961 battles
On 5/11/2020 at 2:19 AM, Ahskance said:

The +1 Fighter is only to ship-based consumables.  So it's purely +1 to your CV's defensive fighter, which will go many matches without ever being used.

Yeah, I noticed that during testing, but it did not help shoot down more planes over the carrier than the regular 4, so... kind of worthless.  If it added an additional plane to patrols, then it might be worth one point instead of zero points.

I decided to go with Concealment Expert because of the torpedo planes and under 9 km detection radius.  Double benefit there.

Edited by Nordlaender
grammatical

[ARGSY]
Members
24,393 posts
18,350 battles

This is a starting point for you, OP. Toptier is the guy I get most of my CV advice from these days.

Sign in to follow this