You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Kensikora

opinons on atago cruiser

33 comments in this topic

[HSSW]
Members
69 posts
1,539 battles

Hello. I have been doing some looking into premium cruisers and i think i might have found one that i might like. I have watched videos, looked at reviews and other things about the Atago to see what she is like and for my playstyle she might work.

I am just wondering if anyone has her and played her and give me some idea of what they think, pros and cons and an idea of how to spec her captin

Members
1,493 posts
10,862 battles

excellent, the original premium tier 8 in the game and still a monster at tier 8.

very strong 203mm h.e sluggish reload though, great fire chance, very good 10km torpedoes although the firing angles can be a pain, gun rotation speed is ok, very good AP and dispersion capable of punching 20k+ salvos on cruisers, very good 9.3km concealment so when your hp gets low you can become the inner DD you always wanted to be.

it is a very strong kiting ship with 8 torps either side and very nice rearward torp firing angles, comes with heals, hydro and fighter plane. i would recommend this cruiser to everyone it is very strong all round and can have trolly armour if angled well.

cons would be the firing range at 15.8km can be a pain with current runaway meta and the gun firing angles can be a pain but if you can get into a position of kiting multiple ships you will be a demon burning every ship and dabbing some high alpha h.e.

Edited by ITZ_ACE_BABY

Members
4,374 posts
11,269 battles

She’s pretty similar to the high tier IJN tech tree cruisers - good at long range he spam and sneaking up on ships to shove super accurate 8 inch AP into broadsides, actually workable torp angles unlike most of the line, and a heal at t8. One of the older t8 premiums but still super reliable four plus years later. 

[HSSW]
Members
69 posts
1,539 battles

well atm im going down the USSR cruiser line and i tend to kite most of the time anways, i have a sweet spot range of betwee 12k and 15k so i usually stick around that, could atago work in those ranges for my style?

[SIM]
Members
4,943 posts
8,026 battles

Atago is a pretty well-rounded ship, and a good choice for your first tier VIII premium. She has a powerful complement of 203mm guns with excellent HE performance and enough bite in her AP rounds to punish ships that give you a flush broadside. She also carries four torpedo racks, positioned in a way that provides you with very comfortable launch angles. Though her armor won’t do much to protect her from battleships, she has a pretty good concealment rating that should allow you to pick your spot against bigger opponents. Last (and certainly not least), her repair party consumable gives you a bit of a cushion for your hitpoints should you get caught under heavy fire. 

Members
1,493 posts
10,862 battles
Just now, Kensikora said:

well atm im going down the USSR cruiser line and i tend to kite most of the time anways, i have a sweet spot range of betwee 12k and 15k so i usually stick around that, could atago work in those ranges for my style?

atago struggles when pushing at it only has 2 guns facing forward its strongest environment is kiting, it is a monster of a kiting ship with guns, torps and survivability.

[HSSW]
Members
69 posts
1,539 battles

i see the way her first 3 turrets are placed, the way i tend to kite away they seem like good angels, im soooo tempted to get her

i just wish i could find a video of how she does, most of them are close to a year old and with the recenet patches im just a tad concerned

Edited by Kensikora

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,786 posts
21,575 battles
3 minutes ago, Kensikora said:

i see the way her first 3 turrets are placed, the way i tend to kite away they seem like good angels, im soooo tempted to get her

i just wish i could find a video of how she does, most of them are close to a year old and with the recenet patches im just a tad concerned

The videos may be old but she really hasn't lost any ground.

She might suffer more from focused air attack as her AA is meh. But most ships do.

No impact from IFHE changes, either.

You shouldn't be up close in the early game so radar isn't a real issue.

Getting in tight places puts her at a disadvantage as she has wide turning radius.

But she is truly one of the best premium heavy cruisers out there. If you are heading up the IJN line then get her.

Have you looked at Lazo as a Russian captain trainer? She is fragile as are all CL but if you kite well she has those Russian laser guns with a great fire chance.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,990 posts
5,814 battles

The advice I STRONGLY recommend to the OP, is to grind up the IJN cruiser line and play some games with Myoko.

This will give you a bit more experience to add to your current low total of a 233 battles, and a gradual climb up the tiers imho is better than diving into the deep end. The endeavour will also show you whether the IJN heavy cruisers are something you want to invest in. From Furutaka upwards, all the IJN CAs have basically the same playstyle. Myoko also has a lot of similarities to Atago such as the same turret layout, similar gun performance, strengths and weaknesses.

If you enjoy Myoko and found the IJN CA grind fine, then Atago is likely a ship you will enjoy. OTOH if you hate Myoko and the grind, then you can save the money and spend it on something else.

• Cool 1

[HSSW]
Members
69 posts
1,539 battles

well i think i might do good, i mean the soviet cruisers have paper armor and i do well, not the best but i do well enough. I tend to sometimes go in somewhat aggressive at least til i get notifed im spoted then i turn, and getting into kiting postion and move on an angel

Members
3,600 posts
13,004 battles
12 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

The advice I STRONGLY recommend to the OP, is to grind up the IJN cruiser line and play some games with Myoko.

This will give you a bit more experience to add to your current low total of a 233 battles, and a gradual climb up the tiers imho is better than diving into the deep end. The endeavour will also show you whether the IJN heavy cruisers are something you want to invest in. From Furutaka upwards, all the IJN CAs have basically the same playstyle. Myoko also has a lot of similarities to Atago such as the same turret layout, similar gun performance, strengths and weaknesses.

If you enjoy Myoko and found the IJN CA grind fine, then Atago is likely a ship you will enjoy. OTOH if you hate Myoko and the grind, then you can save the money and spend it on something else.

3 minutes ago, Kensikora said:

well i think i might do good, i mean the soviet cruisers have paper armor and i do well, not the best but i do well enough. I tend to sometimes go in somewhat aggressive at least til i get notifed im spoted then i turn, and getting into kiting postion and move on an angel

Super Dreadnought probably gave you the best advice. Id say even take it step further and get to the T8 Mogami; youll have better understanding of IJN cruisers, better understanding of the game in general. T8s can be brutal if you're inexperienced, or incapable of adapting/learning from mistakes.

The Atago though is a solid ship. Squishy, but solid gun/armament platform. 

[HSSW]
Members
69 posts
1,539 battles

I learn fast from my mistakes, i have someone that helps me too by pointing out what i did wrong, what i did right, what i need to fix, i honestly dont care if say i suck or are brutal on what i did wrong. Critisim is critisim, if you cant take it then you cant

[TASC]
Members
325 posts
11,385 battles
1 hour ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

atago struggles when pushing at it only has 2 guns facing forward its strongest environment is kiting, it is a monster of a kiting ship with guns, torps and survivability.

Using the 9.1 km detection helps. There was a time when I had a lot of trouble, using this ship. The gameplay has changed, so now it is not bad. the heal helps you survive, shell hits and the aircraft attacks.

I did not like using the Southern Dragon, Mogami and the Ibuki.

Edited by Timo_Greenwold

13,990 posts
5,814 battles
27 minutes ago, Kensikora said:

To be brutally honest, your current pvp stats with Soviet cruisers are not what could be considered 'doing well'. They are very much below average newbie stats. Soviet cruisers are easier to play than IJN cruisers as well.

Ultimately it's your money. If you wish to dive into the deep end with Atago as your first tier 8, learning as you go along, possibly contributing to your team's defeat due to inexperience, that's up to you. If you suddenly find that you don't like the IJN CA playstyle after buying, it would've been your call. Grinding up the IJN CA line to see if you like the general playstyle before spending money is sound advice. But you are free to ignore it, and it seems you're already dead set on buying Atago anyway.

[HSSW]
Members
69 posts
1,539 battles

i know my stats are not the best and im below average but the only way i know to get better is to play and learn and if i have to force myself into an area that forces me to learn faster then normal i will do it, done it before.

As for if it hurts the team its a risk i know but i never jump right into randoms when i get a new ship, i go into coop for a bit, learn the ship, then i try randoms, if i struggle i go back to coop. BUT if you say im below aver and not doing well then tell me in your opinon which cruiser ships should i get or any ship i should get.

Members
1,493 posts
10,862 battles
Just now, Timo_Greenwold said:

Using the 9.1 km detection helps. There was a time when I had a lot of trouble, using this ship. The gameplay has changed, so now it is not bad. the heal helps you survive, shell hits and the aircraft attacks.

I did not like using the Southern Dragon, Mogami and the Ibuki.

the mogami with the 155mm guns is insane you need to try it, make sure you have ifhe.

13,990 posts
5,814 battles
12 minutes ago, Kensikora said:

i know my stats are not the best and im below average but the only way i know to get better is to play and learn and if i have to force myself into an area that forces me to learn faster then normal i will do it, done it before.

As for if it hurts the team its a risk i know but i never jump right into randoms when i get a new ship, i go into coop for a bit, learn the ship, then i try randoms, if i struggle i go back to coop. BUT if you say im below aver and not doing well then tell me in your opinon which cruiser ships should i get or any ship i should get.

All I've been trying to suggest is to go up the IJN CA line a bit. Firstly to get some more experience of the game, and IJN CA playstyle. Secondly to see if you even like the playstyle before making a firm decision on whether to spend presumably hard earned money on Atago. I'm not saying not to get it at all.

As for having typical newbie stats, the only cure for that is playing more, researching game mechanics, and gaining the experience to know when to apply them. But you needn't start at high tiers. Playing high tier doesn't really make people learn faster.

• Cool 1

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,051 posts
12,735 battles
10 minutes ago, Kensikora said:

There's nothing wrong with the Atago, and she makes a good trainer for IJN DD/CA/BB captains with her blend of firepower, stealth, and consumables.

My recommendation is to grind IJN cruisers to at least tier 5 and get a Furutaka. Once it's fully refitted, it'll give you something of an idea as to what you're looking to spend your money on. Looking at what cruisers you sailed, they're all light cruisers, and Atago would be a rude awakening with her slow firing, hard hitting 8" guns, her mixed bag of torpedo arcs, and being like all IJN heavy cruisers, she's made of citadel. She plays a lot like the tier 7 Myoko, Tier 8 Mogami, and Tier 9 Ibuki, as she's part of the same extended family of IJN heavy cruisers.

I wouldn't take Atago into any form of PvP until you've got some PvP matches in tier 6 or 7 heavy cruisers under your belt, but she would help with credits to fund your grind in PvE, as she does get the increased earnings of a premium ship.

[HSSW]
Members
69 posts
1,539 battles
6 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

All I've been trying to suggest is to go up the IJN CA line a bit. Firstly to get some more experience of the game, and IJN CA playstyle. Secondly to see if you even like the playstyle before making a firm decision on whether to spend presumably hard earned money on Atago. I'm not saying not to get it at all.

As for having typical newbie stats, the only cure for that is playing more, researching game mechanics, and gaining the experience to know when to apply them. But you needn't start at high tiers. Playing high tier doesn't really make people learn faster.

i know but if you were to reccomend a good premium cruiser ship which would you suggest, i also was looking at the lazo after someone mentioned it

Before i stared the grind on the soviet line i wanted to do it for IJN but everyone i asked said not to as it is not that forgiving and the learning curve is high

Edited by Kensikora

[HSSW]
Members
69 posts
1,539 battles

And as for PVP if you mean ranked i tend to avoid it, i just prefer to stick with randoms and coops, i know im no weres near good enough for ranked, learned that the hard way trying the ranked sprint

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,674 posts
2 hours ago, Kensikora said:

Atago

I am just wondering if anyone has her and played her

For nearly 900 games!

• Great, hard-hitting IJN HE
  • Lots of guns
  • Painfully long main battery reload
  • Stealthy -- you can actually stealth torp (barely) in it
  • Lot's of 10 km torps and decent firing arcs
  • Weak if you are broadside to anything with AP
  • Has a heal, which is rare for a tier VIII cruiser
  • Very fast

I really like it but you have to play its strengths and avoid its weaknesses.

[-1]
Members
697 posts
9,964 battles

Myoko is a much more forgiving ship. Atago could be a brutal experience in tier X because of limited gun range and weaker armor.

Members
6,621 posts
20,679 battles
2 hours ago, Kensikora said:

Hello. I have been doing some looking into premium cruisers and i think i might have found one that i might like. I have watched videos, looked at reviews and other things about the Atago to see what she is like and for my playstyle she might work.

I am just wondering if anyone has her and played her and give me some idea of what they think, pros and cons and an idea of how to spec her captin

The Atago, It's the best teaching ship in the game. It is also the best looking ship in the game. No one can tell you how to play it. But of my 100 premiums it might be the last one I ever let go. Not because it's so great or strong.... It's just everything good concerning this game.

13,990 posts
5,814 battles
20 minutes ago, Kensikora said:

i know but if you were to reccomend a good premium cruiser ship which would you suggest, i also was looking at the lazo after someone mentioned it

Before i stared the grind on the soviet line i wanted to do it for IJN but everyone i asked said not to as it is not that forgiving and the learning curve is high

Looking at what's available in the premium shop, I'd recommend the Lazo for a non-Atago choice. Most of your cruiser experience is with the Soviets and you got to Shchors already.

As I mentioned before Soviet cruisers are forgiving to use, and good ships to develop experience in.

Beta Testers
807 posts
13,523 battles

Atago is a great ship. Solid performer even at T10, I prefer T10 games in it actually.

My advice would be to not get it for a while yet. Get more games under your belt first, you will see T10 a lot in it and it will turn you off it.