You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Gearhead68

Mid tier secondaries

3 comments in this topic

Members
52 posts
5,760 battles

Hey all, curious if there is additional information about secondaries anyplace. The game lists range, damage, ROF and he pen. What about accuracy? Or traverse? Or firing arcs? Do we assume its all the same, or is this listed anyplace. Looking for a decent mid tier secondary build for fun, based on some solid info.

Thanks

[WOLFC]
Members
1,625 posts
9,465 battles
2 hours ago, Gearhead68 said:

Hey all, curious if there is additional information about secondaries anyplace. The game lists range, damage, ROF and he pen. What about accuracy? Or traverse? Or firing arcs? Do we assume its all the same, or is this listed anyplace. Looking for a decent mid tier secondary build for fun, based on some solid info.

Thanks

In regards to secondary accuracy, I believe all ships have the same basic accuracy parameters outside of a few notable exceptions, i.e. Massachusetts and Georgia, which have improved secondary dispersion as a gimmick.

Mid-tier secondary builds are really limited by the (lack of) effectiveness of the manual secondary skill below tier VII. For tier VII-X, it reduces dispersion by 60%, but for lower tiers the bonus is only 10% and not worth the 4 skill points. The only tier VI ships I would really suggest a secondary build on are PEF and maybe Bayern, as a while back I ran a secondary build on them while working my way up the German BB line and they were somewhat decent. These ships have a lot of guns (including 150mm which pens 38mms of plating) as well as the armor to get into the close range fights required to use them. Which leads to the other issue with these builds at low tiers - the lines that have decent-to-good secondaries don't start seeing stock ranges in excess of 5km until higher tiers. Closing to those kind of ranges to engage the more lightly armored targets these weapons excel against is very dangerous and you have be very watchful for torpedoes.

Something like PT, EM, SI, AFT, BFT, AR, and FP would work for either of the aforementioned ships, but I'm not certain it would be any more effective than a standard BB tank build.

Gneisenau at tier VII has slightly improved secondary range (5.3km stock that can be increased to 8km), benefits from manual secondaries, has 6km torpedoes, and her B-hull's entire secondary suite consists of the best secondary weapons in the game - German 128mm guns that penetrate 32mm of plating. You could run a secondary/survival build such as the one I run on my high-tier German BBs, but keep in mind your secondary range is still quite short, especially when uptiered. PT, AR, SI, AFT, MFCSA, FP, and PM is what I would suggest. PM keeps your guns and torps in action (since you want to run the secondary mod in slot 1), and you can forgo EM because German 380mm guns have good rotation speed. You could run BFT, but IMO the 10% ROF buff isn't worth giving up the extra heal from SI. The same applies for giving up FP for CE: your concealment isn't great to begin with and if you're going to be fighting at close ranges you need all the survivability you can get.

Edited by Nevermore135

[UN1]
Members
1,211 posts
3,638 battles
18 hours ago, Gearhead68 said:

Thanks

Sadly, mid tier brawling isn't viable due to insufficient accuracy unless you have rare collectors items like the USS Arkansas Beta (she's got a substantial modifier on her that makes her pretty amazing). Ships like the Prinz Eitel Friedrich have insane secondary DPM, but lack the accuracy to sufficiently to apply it. Warspite and Fuso also have accuracy mods on their larger caliber guns, but it's not enough to offset the the value of a standard survival build. 

Also, remember, a lot of mid tier battleships can overmatch each other, which makes getting close to the distance to need to be at for your secondaries to function very dangerous. 

T7 battleships (Gneisenau and Scharnhorst) have much improved accuracy over T6, but it's still not as good as T8/9/10 battleships. The firing angles are also rather poor, and the range is insufficient, but they have solid DPM.

T8 battleships have improved accuracy and range over T7 (same DPM though), and are where the fun really starts. Massachusetts has the highest secondary DPM, best accuracy, and best firing angles (by far). Bismarck had bugged secondary firing angles. Tirpitz doesn't have the Bismarck's firing angle bug, but her firing angles still suck compared to Massachusetts. The Gascogne was a decent contender, but the IFHE rework hurt French secondary performance pretty hard. 

T9 battleships have similar DPM to T8 (but access to AAM2), but tend to have better firing angles across the board. FDG firing angles are vastly better than Bismarck/Tirpitz. Alsace hurt very hard with rework. 

T10 ships have better DPM than T9. Oddly, most T10 battleships are all secondary capable, except British ones. Some are better than others of course, but most have the bones to pull it off.